Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wait for the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Yeah wait for the 5 page document that will say you owe 3 euro and watch out for the code number that wont match the date you actually went through the toll.

id imagine the amount of wasted paper they go through is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Yeah wait for the 5 page document that will say you owe 3 euro and watch out for the code number that wont match the date you actually went through the toll.

id imagine the amount of wasted paper they go through is massive

Haha thanks...so I shouldn't pay a thing..not even the €6 I owe (no incl. fine) until I get the letter?

Thanks for the help lads!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whiterebel wrote: »
    I have been charged by EFlow already despite having a DirectRoute tag on the car (in the correct place, you twat Noel Dempsey). When I received half the amazon rainforest in an envelope,I rang them and they said it was probably incorrectly mounted. I asked her how that worked considering I had been through the M50 before and it worked fine. She then said they had a problem with other operators tags.........Obviously she missed the bit where I told her it had worked before.

Went up and down to Dublin in the day on Tuesday, no beep either direction, so I guess I had better advise the postman to beef up in readiness.

And as sure as night follows day, 4 pages arrive in post today. Stinker email duly sent to eFlow......

I did the same as themacdaddy, how much is the fine? I forgot to pay it on time and am currently waiting for the letter. Will I have to pay a fine or will they just warn me to pay the pathetic 3 euro I forgot to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'm on my 3rd letter in 3 weeks, i have an Ez pass, it works, I've been through the toll bridge about 15 times since barrier free tolling was introduced, the last 2 times I rang, explained that I was a Ez Pass customer and shouldn't be getting these letters, threatening E40 fines unless paid in 14 days.
    I also told her to put a note on the account to stop sending bills to the house.

What will happen if i ignore this letter? I couldn't be arsed ringing and being put on hold for 10 mins again.I presume if I go through the motions again I'll just get another one bill in a few weeks again.

Anyone else getting these letters in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I don't know what you could do but you are not alone. My brother has gotten a load of letters from them. The story is his car broke down and they sent him letters saying he went through the toll bridge during this time. They are making a load of mistakes. They told him they are freezing the account and "reviewing" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Id say ignore it, just their mistake, you have an account registered and all that so youve done everything you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Victor_M's thread merged with the main tolls thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Victor_M wrote: »
    What will happen if i ignore this letter? I couldn't be arsed ringing and being put on hold for 10 mins again.I presume if I go through the motions again I'll just get another one bill in a few weeks again.

Anyone else getting these letters in the post?

Keep ignoring the letters. If you check your eazypass account, you'll find you've already been charged I would imagine. Eazypass sent out emails telling people to ignore the letters anyway IIRC.

• Advertisement

Will I have to pay a fine or will they just warn me to pay the pathetic 3 euro I forgot to pay?

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I did the same as themacdaddy, how much is the fine? I forgot to pay it on time and am currently waiting for the letter. Will I have to pay a fine or will they just warn me to pay the pathetic 3 euro I forgot to pay?

they'll send you a letter requesting three euro only. the guy on the phone told me they are not fining anyone and they are not bringing any cases to court because the legal fee's are too high - all to get three euro.

let them do all the chasing they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Recently went through the bridge, or over the bridge, or whatever way one should phrase it these days, twice in one day. Don't have a tag or anything and completely forgot to pay the fee. Rang up a couple of days later and explained what happened and was told that there would be no fine due to various problems and difficulties in relation to charges of late. Said that should just wait for the letter (3-5 working days) and just pay the regular fee. No letter received yet, two weeks down the road (excuse the pun)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Went through twice this morning, was dropping someone to airport for 7.45am.

Began the quest to pay at 8.20am or thereabouts. Tried 6 different garages/local shops. In 3 cases system to pay was down. In 2 they used to allow payment but have stopped because of customer complaints from people being billed after paying. Last place just didnt do it at all.

I spent over an hour trying to pay. In the end I just gave up and came home. I refuse to pay online because I dont want to give them my credit card number. I dont want to pay by phone for that reason and also that its going to eat a lot of credit being on hold etc...

So what do I do? I think I made a reasonable effort to pay.

Feck them. You made every effort to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd a dream last night that I was billed for driving a 93 reg car through the bridge, haha. That's great about the garages not taking payment anymore. Would they not just open up the bridge for free and do a nice deed? :D

Would they not just open up the bridge for free and do a nice deed?
    Weather report: Hell has just frozen over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

whiterebel wrote: »
    I have been charged by EFlow already despite having a DirectRoute tag on the car (in the correct place, you twat Noel Dempsey). When I received half the amazon rainforest in an envelope,I rang them and they said it was probably incorrectly mounted. I asked her how that worked considering I had been through the M50 before and it worked fine. She then said they had a problem with other operators tags.........Obviously she missed the bit where I told her it had worked before.

Went up and down to Dublin in the day on Tuesday, no beep either direction, so I guess I had better advise the postman to beef up in readiness.
    Same story here whiterebel. I received yet another notice on thursday for going northbound because my DirectRoute tag only works going southbound.
    On the same day my mother received another €40 notice for a passage through the toll that i've already been assured by eFlow has been dealt with twice. I'm considering not bothering ringing them again, it seems to make absolutely no difference.

At least they're now printing on both sides of the page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

my brother is self employed, and basically never got around to registering his vans. he now owes about 400, most of these are 40euro fines, the cost for crossing the toll is very little. should he just pay this and be done with it or are there any sneaky ways around it? in fairness its his own fault, so i told him he should probably just take the hit and get it sorted out?? his van is registered to my mothers house, so he hadnt collected his post for quite a while to collect the notices. any thoughts??

They have told one poster here that they won't take anyone to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Bond-007 wrote: »

True. But i was thinking if people keep wracking up these kind of charges they will have to start. I dont agree with it, infact i think its ridiculous that we have to pay a charge for for driving on a motor way which has been well paid for :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Well also they would have to send a bill/invoice for payment via registered post before ever going down the legal route.... as they've no way of proving people have gotten the letters they've already sent out....

As far as I remember, they don't send court summonses by registered post, but this is no excuse for the consequences?..

Court summonses must be either served in person or by registered post.

Ah my mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

they'll send you a letter requesting three euro only. the guy on the phone told me they are not fining anyone and they are not bringing any cases to court because the legal fee's are too high - all to get three euro.

let them do all the chasing they want.

Not having used the M50 for years (but still got a letter:D) it doesn't affect me, but if the comment above is correct is there any reason why anyone should pay the toll?

None at all. But if no one paid the system would collaspse within a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's only the people who registered keeping it alive now. If they all closed their accounts and waited for the letter the whole thing would implode under the mass of it's own paperwork.

The remains of it (a small quantum singularity) could be put on display in a visitor centre where the toll plaza used to be.

Think of the money the economy would make in tourism...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

None at all. But if no one paid the system would collaspse within a week.

I wonder. Are we seeing here the birth of another of our government's advances into IT? If so, we can expect to see the whole system stored for the next twenty years in a warehouse somewhere while they try to decide what to do next. However, Bond-007, I would of course strongly advise against stresssing the system further by witholding payment.

The simple solution, which may appeal to ministers, is to introduce kiosks and coin bins in the interim?

• Advertisement

Go the way they do it in San Francisco have kiosks, tag readers and coin bins but no barriers. The non payers are videoed and prosecuted.

Advertisement