Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

SteveC wrote: »
    Hardly the same as giving your name and address and journey details though.. there's nothing personally identifiable given by cartell.
    What the NRA did was beyond belief and theoretically gave potential car thieves the address of their next job.

OTH, who'd want a Passat 115bhp ?? :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

it usually takes a couple of weeks, but i get the feeling that they are drowning in a mass of paper, if you imagine how many thousand letters they send out each day... can't even imagine how they will follow these up...

Also the letters aren't sent registered post, so if in the highly unlikely event of someone ending up in court, surely they could say they didn't get them... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

it usually takes a couple of weeks,:rolleyes:

I know someone who went away for a week, and paid over the phone, but the demand for payment had arrived in the post within the week.

I reckon i'm in the clear.. :D

anyway.. if more people like me get away with it, then others will follow, and if people dont ring up to pay and just wait for the bill, there will be backlogs upon backlogs and eventually the system will clog up and slow right down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol, no keep ringing and keep the high turn over of staff in the call centre so nobody knows what their doing while simultaneously not paying the fines so they keep sending paper work so then they really will die under their own bureaucracy and ineptitude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

pa990 wrote: »
    I've been thru it twice, no tag, never registered, never phoned, the car is in my name.. and i never heard/recieved anything. My reg plate is a standard road legal type. ?!?!?

how long does it take for the letter to arrive out ? it has been over a week

Sounds like you were driving too close to the car in front so it never got a chance to read your plate properly - ring them to let them know !!!

Seriously though, from recent reports, they said the system had about 10,000 errors per day. My reading of this is since they know the volumes they had before, they have obviously discovered that they have about 10,000 fees less per day and what's the bets that most of these are number plates not being read.

It sounds number plate recognition is the best system to go with - if your reg gets clocked, fine and if it doesn't, even better !!!

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »
    lol, no keep ringing and keep the high turn over of staff in the call centre so nobody knows what their doing while simultaneously not paying the fines so they keep sending paper work so then they really will die under their own bureaucracy and ineptitude

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

pa990 wrote: »
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. ...

Episode 1: Exposed Beavers sent!

brim4brim wrote: »
    Episode 1: Exposed Beavers !

What a riveting read.. I'm looking forward to episode 2 (Caribbean muff diving for beginners)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

My toll tag beeps when I'm going southbound but not when I'm going northbound. Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Breezer wrote: »
    My toll tag beeps when I'm going southbound but not when I'm going northbound. Anyone got any ideas?

Every single northbound trip?

Mine hasn't beeped 3 times now.(both sides of the road) Checked my transaction page on eFlow and it shows 3 passings where they didn't get the tag but got my reg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Every single northbound trip?

Mine hasn't beeped 3 times now.(both sides of the road) Checked my transaction page on eFlow and it shows 3 passings where they didn't get the tag but got my reg.

It's been reported that there are a few bugs in the system.

And I use the word 'few' pretty loosely there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I have just received not 1 but 2 more payment notices from EFlow this morning, even though I have paid for both trips. I dont use the M50 much so I dont have any tags. This is getting beyond a joke now. I have made about 7 or 8 trips on the road and been incorrectly billed for 3 of them now. I am just wondering should I bother my arse ringing this crowd or will the phone lines be jammed? I have all my receipts so I am fine. I might just call and go off on a rant. :mad:

Maybe they are trying to scare me into getting a tag by doing this... well it wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I haven't paid for any yet and wont be until they ring me back like they said they would.

Drax wrote: »
    I have just received not 1 but 2 more payment notices from EFlow this morning, even though I have paid for both trips. I dont use the M50 much so I dont have any tags. This is getting beyond a joke now. I have made about 7 or 8 trips on the road and been incorrectly billed for 3 of them now. I am just wondering should I bother my arse ringing this crowd or will the phone lines be jammed? I have all my receipts so I am fine. I might just call and go off on a rant. :mad:

Maybe they are trying to scare me into getting a tag by doing this... well it wont work.

if you have paid, then hang onto your receipts, and ignore any correspondence from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

+1

Let them waste their time and money sending out letters and threats. If they dare take you to court you will have the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

My mother got one today telling her that because she ignored the last one, she now owed €40. She didn't ignore the last one, I rang up on her behalf, explained that she had a tag with another company, and asked for it to be charged to her account. No problem, they said, but obviously there was a problem.

When I rang up again today to find out why she'd been fined, I was basically told "I'm very sorry, some staff here have absolutely no idea what they're doing, I'll fix that now."

And the guy, while very friendly and (hopefully) helpful, had absolutely no explanation as to why my tag beeps going southbound but not northbound in 3 separate positions on the windscreen...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've a feeling the whole thing will fall apart soon enough... Barrier free free m50? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

i recieved a letter yesturday to pay a €3 toll. the letter had 5 pages in it..
    so i type the notice number into the website and the times/dates dont match up nor does any of the 'tick' boxes work.

the website the a heap of ****e.

so i rang this morning and the guy on the fone (who was trying his best to be fair) said that i shouldnt pay it until the head office clears the fine to be paid and that i should wait on a phone call :rolleyes:

nuts to that im never paying another toll again. absolute shambles. it will fall apart within a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

One of my colleagues used it about 2 weeks ago and when she went online to pay the toll, the amount owed was showing as over 3 million quid!!! :D

I actually don't know if she even managed to get through to them to query it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

its a joke system for me. didnt use the M50 at all. sold my old car on 27th/09/08, then sent the logbook away weeks ago. but got a letter YESTERDAY said I 'used' the M50 on the 29th/09,I got 14 days to pay the 3 euro otherwise a further 40 euro will be fined. good,I dont care. got another letter TODAY said another trip on the M50 on 30th/09. another 14 days to pay the 3 euro. although I sold my car so I wont care about those letters. but if u give people 14 days to pay the 3 euro. why ALL LETTERS arrived after 15 days? U offer a time machine to back to the past?? haha.
    rang the EFLOW and was asked 'do u know the new owner's name?' OTF, is it my job to put the new owner's name into their system??

• Advertisement

i doubt your are legally obliged to give them the details of any new owner of a vehicle,
    Dont give them any info, tell that that you cant under the Data Protection Act,

Or .. Tell them the new owner is John Gormley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

I just got another letter in the post for a trip I made on the third of October.
    Its getting annoying going to the hassle of checking my bank account records to confirm what I already know.

Why don't they send a confirmation email to an address of your choice when you pay, instead I have to copy and paste the reference number on the confirmation page of the site into my gmail so I can dig it out later when they botch the friggin process.

Also, check out the wicked witch of the westlink!
    https://bookings.parkmagic.net/tolltag/main.aspx

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honey-ec wrote: »
    One of my colleagues used it about 2 weeks ago and when she went online to pay the toll, the amount owed was showing as over 3 million quid!!! :D
    At that rate, it won't be long before the bridge is paid off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My mother got one today telling her that because she ignored the last one, she now owed €40. She didn't ignore the last one, I rang up on her behalf, explained that she had a tag with another company, and asked for it to be charged to her account. No problem, they said, but obviously there was a problem.

When I rang up again today to find out why she'd been fined, I was basically told "I'm very sorry, some staff here have absolutely no idea what they're doing, I'll fix that now."

And the guy, while very friendly and (hopefully) helpful, had absolutely no explanation as to why my tag beeps going southbound but not northbound in 3 separate positions on the windscreen...

Breezer, I've had exactly the same shíte happen to me. I called them up and in fairness the guy who helped me was very helpful. He said he will 'dispute' the fine and I wont receive any more notices. Although I have two more ones I need to sort - both paid for. Apparently I was cruising the M50 at 2:20 in the morning while I was asleep 250kms away. :)

I went into their site with the UTN number I received. And lo and behold there was another 2 "unpaid" toll passages (one of which I have not yet received a notice for). You have the option
    of marking them as dispute... which I promptly did!

It seems the lack of a tag causes problems then its worth but I still refuse to get one as I dont use the M50 often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

After 3 weeks of chasing I've gotten a credit for 2€ from etip for a charge on my bill for a trip I never made. In fairness to etrip they were most responsive, replying to emails and even calling me ! I kinda feel sorry for them as they would have had to chase after those clowns operating the M50 to verify the mistake.
    It's not that I need the 2€ ...... but you gotta fight the good fight and not let them away with one cent they bill in error.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TBH I wouldn't bother chasing it up if they sent me somehting. As the AA say, its their error, let them worry about it! However, I still haven't gotten any fines from them - I'm starting to feel victimised now.

Sorry, to be clear .... I have an etrip tab. There was a trip on there that I did not make. In this case you have to chase it up as they've got your money from your etrip account. I think people who have tags other then eflow need to look at their statments very carefully in case ( as I was ) you are hit incorrectly. This never never was the case before the M50 barrier free fisasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well I used the M50 for the first time since the booths came down on Friday; and how pleasant it was not to have to sit in a 45 minute tailback at 2:30 on a Friday just to pay a toll. I nearly forgot to pay it on Saturday though:rolleyes:

Nice job:D:D

True ..... the traffic flow is generally much much better ..... nobody would want the booths again ...... but what a mess they've made of the billing system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

I drove through the M50 on Friday night and forgot to pay (I don't have an automatic tag or anything).

I only remembered I had to pay last night.

I know I will incur a fee as its late payment but do I just pay the €6 now and wait for the extra fee to come in the post or what should I do?

Sorry there a probably millions of posts like this on boards but I couldn't find any good info on the net or here!

Thanks,
    Eddie

Advertisement