Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

yeah thats the general concencis here i thik. everyone cant wait to get in. Im number 45 after the june batch go in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

I was 70 before the june intake and thats the farthest out number ive seen on this forum.We will all be in before the end of the year me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

how are you getting all the numbers??? im still waiting on my stupid security check (over 9 months waiting)grrrrrr. thoses who are number 1 to 70 how long did it take for your check to come back??? im losing faith in the service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

hey I rang up the IPS and they gave me the number that I am on the list! You should keep ringing them about your security, I think I rang them at least once a week to see if they got it back! It took nine months for mine to come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

i'm in the mid 30's...so in june shud be up 25 more places so hopefuly shud be in soon but who the hell knows at this stage.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi all

Glad things are moving even alittle bit, does anyone know the numbers that are left from 0'7? is it just the people waiting to be called for training or is there more waiting on different stages, im from 0'8 campaign just trying to give myself some hope that atleast the 0'8 interviews will start by year end, anybody any news or inside info?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kierei18

Hi All

Im from 08 campaign aswell waitin ages did my aptitude test in sligo around november got my place no 339 and havent heard anything since dont expect to either will be very surprised if i did. Are all of ye from the 07 campaign?I thought there was an oul recruitment freeze neway?what was the point on starting a 2008 campaign if there was hundreds still left on the 07 one and leavin the 08s waiting ages.

yeah not sure why they started a new campaign either, they obviously needed alot of officers, i don't see how that has changed, anyone i speak to says there isnt enough officers! there a few posts on hear have said that their aint many left from 07 that will be called and i had an email from ips and they said its unlikey anyone will be starting this year from 08, because of 07 campaign but hopefuly atleast the process will,

i dont know but i hear extentions in castlerea and wheatfield and an other prison are going ahead, there will be 360 beds so they need staff and along with retirements etc i'd say things will move by end of year??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hi all.
    The link below is interesting. At least we know when recruitment starts again that it will be the 08 competition called for interview

http://www.jcfj.ie/pqs/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=411&sobi2Id=2087&Itemid=27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kierei18

so if your in the 1000s in order of merit youve a good chance of progressing then to stage 2? Or perhaps even higher if this is true about a tax on public servants pensions or something think theres a link further up this forum about it. Heard that anyone who is eligable to retire wants to get out now. Surely they will have to replace any officers that retire or theyl be war as the jails are alredy way over capacity as it is.

• Advertisement

i rang the ips on thursday...the number that every one has is the number that they will be staying in even after the june batch....as they have taken them off the list ages ago..and i went down 2 places what the **** is that all about.........

Now thats the complete oppisate if what I was told a few months ago. I was somewhere in the 70"s too and was told that after june I would be down 25 places. Why cant they all get their damn story straight and stop f**king us about.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

best thing to do is just sit tight.not great options but be glad that you are gone through the whole process. pity the lads from 08 campaign they will still have to pass their interview then go through all the crap afterwards. have never seen something to be so unorganised regards recruitments and interviews the whole process is a joke.

Will this affect recruitment?http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0519/prison.html

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Should not affect it too much, it was going to take 5 or 6 years at the rate they were negotiating anyway, bring back Spike island!!:rolleyes:

I dont see it affecting 07 or 08, wasnt going to be finished for 3 years anyway, maybe it will effect future campaigns,

you would,nt know they will probaly go ahead with the new prison for cork, they would also probaly have to reopen the curragh. mountjoy supposedly is nearly third world standard, they will probaly end up extending prisons. though who knows what they will do, theres another 40 million down the drain. alot of probaly,s

Apparently not completely dead yet!

Irish indo:

And it is now expected that the original plan will be replaced by a far cheaper and scaled down version of the multi-jail campus.

The Department of Justice also confirmed that the project was unaffordable at the price quoted by preferred bidder Leargas and a more affordable solution was required.

Mr Ahern said the Government was still strongly committed to pressing ahead with a prison development at Thornton Hall and, in the meantime, the problem of increasing bed capacity in the nation's jails would be tackled by the provision of an extra 400 prison spaces this summer.

Increasing bed numbers along with retirements, sure we'll all be in by xmas!!!!, maybe alittle optimistic.

may as well be optimistic because at this stage people are just peed off with it all at the moment. its hard to plan ahead. for example i want to do a course in october its 8 months long and will cost 3 grand. do i go with the course or do i wait .and you bet your ass i do the course would be half way through it then be called.

Its a hard one to call tommy, because you almost in, committing to a course for 9 months and then leaving it, hopefully you'll be called before sept,Just seen this on rte.ie

The Taoiseach has confirmed to the Dáil that a new jail will be built at Thornton Hall in north Co Dublin.

• Advertisement

This is from todays Irish Independent.

The Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, has told the Dail that the Government will press ahead with a new prison complex in north Co Dublin in the coming years.
    The €300m Thornton Hall plan has suffered a setback following the collapse of talks with the consortium that was supposed to build the facility.
    The opposition says the project will now join PPARS and e-voting on the list of schemes where the Government has wasted millions of euros of taxpayers' money.
    However, Mr Cowen insisted in the Dail this morning that the project would go ahead and new proposals would be brought before the cabinet in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

Apparently not completely dead yet!

Mr Ahern said the Government was still strongly committed to pressing ahead with a prison development at Thornton Hall and, in the meantime, the problem of increasing bed capacity in the nation's jails would be tackled by the provision of an extra 400 prison spaces this summer.

Increasing bed numbers along with retirements, sure we'll all be in by xmas!!!!, maybe alittle optimistic.

did someone go and build a new prison without the public knowing about it? where are these new spaces coming from, mountjoy carpark maybe? as far as retirement is concerned i hope you're right cause my other half is 5 yrs waiting for transfer and is finally in bottom 20 for prison down south, number 62 this time last year, cant come quickly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

iv come up with a brain wave,how about we all go and train in americas prisons service,they are always recruting and they will take non U.S citz for hard to fill prisons(the tough prisons im guessing)then after a year or 2 put in for a move back to ireland. Im thinking it would be quicker then waiting on this shower over here!!!!!!!! Im really thinking strong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Roebourne9 wrote: »
    did someone go and build a new prison without the public knowing about it? where are these new spaces coming from, mountjoy carpark maybe? as far as retirement is concerned i hope you're right cause my other half is 5 yrs waiting for transfer and is finally in bottom 20 for prison down south, number 62 this time last year, cant come quickly enough

Portlaoise, castlerea and wheatfield will make up the 400 new places according to Irish Times Yesterday.

Grawns wrote: »
    Portlaoise, castlerea and wheatfield will make up the 400 new places according to Irish Times Yesterday.

yea, i forgot about the new extensions they built on,

does any body know how many new people have started this year..

Hey lads has anyone been in contact with the ips in the last week or so?Im over in Australia so i havent a clue whats goin on.Like everyone im as bewildered by the whole thing so im staying here until im called.I wouldnt have a clue whats goin on only for this thread!Could the people who are starting in June try and find out as much as possible and post it?Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Stay where ya are Scatman!! Im sorry i ever came back and unfortunately im not in a position to go back at the moment!!

Like everyone here im in the 08 campaign but i placed in the early 200's so im not holding out much hope!! Its the lack of communication that bugs me though!

I wonder is there any communication between public jobs and the IPS at all??

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Hey lads has anyone been in contact with the ips in the last week or so?Im over in Australia so i havent a clue whats goin on.Like everyone im as bewildered by the whole thing so im staying here until im called.I wouldnt have a clue whats goin on only for this thread!Could the people who are starting in June try and find out as much as possible and post it?Cheers:D

try appling for prison officer over there, my other half worked in 1 in WA, loved it and would go back there in a heart beat, may have to anyway, last pay slip nearly had as much taken off in levys as was paid into bank, if its of any interest theres a lot of transfers going on at mo, maybe they might start some new classes as a result???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Id look into that myself, but i presume you need visas and maybe even residency??

Advertisement