Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

cordub wrote: »
    just onto my union rep and they were told about the new rule and AGGREED to it am not impressed this is the first I have heard of these new epulettes why are we the members the last to know about new practices being implemented I wonder why we bother to pay into a union at all a pure and utter waste of [URL]money:mad::mad::mad::mad[/URL]:
    this has been in the pipeline for a long time. 1st december was the deadline.
    we have known about this for ages!
    where have you being living? :P

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm surprised that a different colour to the Guards wasn't used as they are exactly the same (which some officers seem to enjoy).
    lol they will strut and pretend they are guards!
    now we all know that prison officers are failed guards :(
    sorry but i won't be getting upset about this. i've bigger fish to fry.
    and when i fry my fish they are whoppers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maori

Alright lads. Any knowledge about recruitment next year... I heard about 400 new recruits, could be b****t...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

maori wrote: »
    Alright lads. Any knowledge about recruitment next year... I heard about 400 new recruits, could be b****t...

According to the staff in Beladd, they are not aware of any new classes starting. They only got 10 days notice for the current class. Some of the recruits only got 3 days notice.

According to the staff in Beladd, they are not aware of any new classes starting. They only got 10 days notice for the current class. Some of the recruits only got 3 days notice.

Actually I heard about whole new recruitment campaign in 2012...As I said it could be made up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

if there was to be a new campaign in 2012 would they have to exhaust the existing panel from 08 before going on to a new panel the way they did with the 07 panel ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

Actually I heard about whole new recruitment campaign in 2012...As I said it could be made up...

Maori,your a great man for the I heards,i heard that Elvis is playing 5 nights in croke park.......as I said it could be made up:D:D:D

somehope11 wrote: »
    Maori,your a great man for the I heards,i heard that Elvis is playing 5 nights in croke park.......as I said it could be made up:D:D:D

I am working in a such a place that on daily basis I am dealing with members of different authorities so thats where my statement is coming from. And for future bud, save your cheeky comments for yourself as I am here to seek and share information rather that getting into silly conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

I am working in a such a place that on daily basis I am dealing with members of different authorities so thats where my statement is coming from. And for future bud, save your cheeky comments for yourself as I am here to seek and share information rather that getting into silly conversations.
    i hear you dude, some people know it all on this, everyone should share information, not hate on it

Sorry for having a sense of humour I heard it was fairly important in this job.

• Advertisement

pada1981 wrote: »
    i hear you dude, some people know it all on this, everyone should share information, not hate on it
    You got put in your place already for being a know all pr??k so I wouldn't place to much value on your opinion.

Sorry for having a sense of humour I heard it was fairly important in this job.

Sense of humour and smart comments are two different things, but with respect to all I think we should end this conversation and come back to the main topic.

ha ha now you've all been told!
    put them all back in their boxes :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You got put in your place already for being a know all pr??k so I wouldn't place to much value on your opinion.
    Infracted for personal abuse.

No further comment on this post please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

cavan4sam wrote: »
    if there was to be a new campaign in 2012 would they have to exhaust the existing panel from 08 before going on to a new panel the way they did with the 07 panel ???
    NO they can do whatever they want , they can start all over again but financially it would be better to use the old panal but when did finance ever come into it??;););)

Jailer wrote: »
    Spot on !!

(Thinks) Things appear madder than usual because everything has to be put through the Dept of Finance. IPS probably has a request in for recruits and are doing all the leg work medicals PCT etc in the hope that Finance will give the go ahead. Then it will be a rush to get them in but no fault of the IPS as such. When I say everything has to go through finance it does include anything that will have a knock on financial effect, so promotions have to be first approved by finance even the mess closing at the weekends Finance etc etc you name it.

When it comes to recruitment no one especially the people in beladd are going to give you any hints mainly because they probably dont know yet and secondly they wont be 100% sure until there are 20,40 or 80 recruits standing in front of them. There just being super careful in giving any false hope.

Others might have a cousin or a niece who got called for a medical and before you know it word gets out that the Prison Service is recruiting a 10,000 staff and boards.ie suffers a meltdown because of all the hits Jail rumors can be lethal.

Until there's BOOTS ON THE GROUND don't believe a thing, or in the case of those waiting a letter from longford a letter stating REPORT FOR DUTY
    Fair enough Maori we're all on the same team seemingly,but il tell you where I'm coming from in my attempt at having a sense of humour about the whole recruitment process,I have been following this thread (along with a lot of people like me) for the last couple of years and I have gone through all the highs and lows of recruits being taken on one week and not been taken on the next,so when somebody posts that 400 recruits are going to be taken on next year you just go here we go again,and but for the fact that the actual prison officers post stuff to let us know how the ips really works I for one would have given up long ago.So just in case you hadn't read this post I reposted it for you.No offence meant by this I'm just telling it the way I see it.

i can't see us having our numbered epaulettes for long!
    i have the same number as a guard in the bridewell and in court today we were sat beside eachother :eek:
    lol the judge does be asking me for evidence bags :rolleyes:

me mate the guard was not happy! hilarious :D

i am surprised another system was not worked out. but then again its the ips....
    man they are not happy! but of course it amused me for the day ;)

we won't discuss the budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

I love jail rumours, there only has to be the smallest element of truth to any story because eventually ITS FACT. Dont believe anything untill you see it with your own eyes that goes for recruitment, epaulettes everything

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

i can't see us having our numbered epaulettes for long!
    i have the same number as a guard in the bridewell and in court today we were sat beside eachother :eek:
    lol the judge does be asking me for evidence bags :rolleyes:

me mate the guard was not happy! hilarious :D

I mean, at the very least, have the numbers a different colour than the Gardai have. Surely common sense dictates th.....Oh yeah sorry, this is IPS we're talking about after all.

On a serious/dangerous/pathetic note, you probably will get some Officer pretending to be a copper on the outside now. Ya know what some of them are like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Omackeral wrote: »
    I mean, at the very least, have the numbers a different colour than the Gardai have. Surely common sense dictates th.....Oh yeah sorry, this is IPS we're talking about after all.

On a serious/dangerous/pathetic note, you probably will get some Officer pretending to be a copper on the outside now. Ya know what some of them are like
    !

You can be sure as sh1te that warders will be driving home in full blue now, especially at xmas with a load on. The only thing is impersonating a Garda has never hindered a career in the IPS, just ask the warders (now governors) who did speed checks in the Phoenix park with the hair dryer.

In all seriousness I believe it's a nightmare for the PSEC lads dealing with this in court. Someone in a very high pay grade failed to see a problem with dressing Guards and PO's in identical uniforms with identical identification numbers. It's a pure joke of an outfit when you think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

quick question :) do prison officers carry asps and oc spray like gardai when on the landings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

A.G.S wrote: »
    quick question :) do prison officers carry asps and oc spray like gardai when on the landings ?

No.

We do not carry any weapon or deterrent on our person during the course of our everyday duties. We also are not issued with any stab vests or personal protective equipment while on the landings, which in my opinion is ridiculous. We only have the shirt on our back to defend from any shivs/shanks etc.

Batons,shields and riot gear (suits) are generally only issued during disturbances. Mace or any sprays have never been issued, nor have tazers. Hope this answers your question. If you've anymore, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

We do not carry any weapon or deterrent on our person during the course of our everyday duties. We also are not issued with any stab vests or personal protective equipment while on the landings, which in my opinion is ridiculous. We only have the shirt on our back to defend from any shivs/shanks etc.

Batons,shields and riot gear (suits) are generally only issued during disturbances. Mace or any sprays have never been issued, nor have tazers. Hope this answers your question. If you've anymore, ask away.

If they issued spray, the lives room would end up in carnage... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Thanks for answering my question! only in Ireland would this happen, what a big health and safety risk,the reason I asked is that I am thinking about applying should a recruitment campaign ever arise in this day and age.Are the days of being 6ft and built like a fridge gone? or could a 19 year old like my self who stands 5ft 6 and 10 stone apply ? I no with selection I can but my question is in regards to doing the job as in would prisoners see me an easy target?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Thanks for answering my question! only in Ireland would this happen, what a big health and safety risk,the reason I asked is that I am thinking about applying should a recruitment campaign ever arise in this day and age.Are the days of being 6ft and built like a fridge gone? or could a 19 year old like my self who stands 5ft 6 and 10 stone apply ? I no with selection I can but my question is in regards to doing the job as in would prisoners see me an easy target?

HI, There are no height or weight restrictions in the service now. There is a physical test which involves running,grip test,carrying a fire extingusher and a push/pull test..The prison service lives on rumours,so as for a new recruitment campaign happening soon, might just be that, a rumour.. but keep and eye on this site and on publicjobs.ie..And go for it then, but be prepared for a long wait as most people here are now waiting over three years for a call..

Not alone will we never be issued with either on a regular basis but the spineless cowards in suits would have us wearing fluffy mitts if they could figure out a way we could still hold keys with them on. You would want to be mentally ill to even carry a baton these days, your last action as a Prison Officer would be to use that baton as you would be sacked the next day, regardless if you were being attacked by 3 convicted murders.

The lads in Portlaoise used to carry them up until fairly recently.

I'm 5 foot 7 myself and was 22 when I joined, which made me 20 when I applied. We're in the same boat AGS.

Easy target? Nope, I wouldnt really say that at all. We have Officers of all different make-ups. We've a chap that's 6ft 10. We've lads smaller than yourself. We have a great mix of Dubs and Culchies. In the Mountjoy complex we have staff from China, Nigeria, The UK, Holland and Romania. We have female staff working in the male prison and male staff working in the female prison. So they'll be doing well to single anyone out for being different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yvette32

I'm 5 foot 7 myself and was 22 when I joined, which made me 20 when I applied. We're in the same boat AGS.

Easy target? Nope, I wouldnt really say that at all. We have Officers of all different make-ups. We've a chap that's 6ft 10. We've lads smaller than yourself. We have a great mix of Dubs and Culchies. In the Mountjoy complex we have staff from China, Nigeria, The UK, Holland and Romania. We have female staff working in the male prison and male staff working in the female prison. So they'll be doing well to single anyone out for being different!

Nice to see someone with a positive attitude towards their work. I am a student and I am first to admit I probably see life through rose tinted glasses, but I can't understand why people stay in a job that they obviously hate so much. I've read this thread from start to finish and I've seen officers that hate their job, hate the management, and hate the prisoners. I don't think I could do the job myself (although I'd like to try it if they ever advertise again) but I don't think I'd last that long if it's as bad as people on this thread say. I don't get it....why do these guys stay in the job if they hate it so much? I don't mean to be disrespectful, I genuinely don't get it.

• Advertisement

yvette32 wrote: »
    Nice to see someone with a positive attitude towards their work. I am a student and I am first to admit I probably see life through rose tinted glasses, but I can't understand why people stay in a job that they obviously hate so much. I've read this thread from start to finish and I've seen officers that hate their job, hate the management, and hate the prisoners. I don't think I could do the job myself (although I'd like to try it if they ever advertise again) but I don't think I'd last that long if it's as bad as people on this thread say. I don't get it....why do these guys stay in the job if they hate it so much? I don't mean to be disrespectful, I genuinely don't get it.

I'm not going to argue with your observation as it's very accurate. I will however ask how would you feel if you had one of the most stressful, confrontational and dangerous jobs in the country and your management thought so little of you that they stopped providing you with food facilities at the weekends and evening even though its a 24/7/365 service.

The prisoners are not your biggest threat in the service. 90% of the lads you work with are the finest and the salt of the earth, it's the 10% who seem to have an inordinately bad effect on everyone else. We have the most proactive equality scheme in the world, we only promote the spa's and simpletons.

The reason most of us stick with it is because we only have philosophy degrees and can't get a job anywhere else.

Advertisement