Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Anybody know if there is a golf society in Wheatfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yvette32

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm not going to argue with your observation as it's very accurate. I will however ask how would you feel if you had one of the most stressful, confrontational and dangerous jobs in the country and your management thought so little of you that they stopped providing you with food facilities at the weekends and evening even though its a 24/7/365 service.

The prisoners are not your biggest threat in the service. 90% of the lads you work with are the finest and the salt of the earth, it's the 10% who seem to have an inordinately bad effect on everyone else. We have the most proactive equality scheme in the world, we only promote the spa's and simpletons.

The reason most of us stick with it is because we only have philosophy degrees and can't get a job anywhere else.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could do a job they hate, although I understand that in the present climate people get trapped - there's not many jobs out there. I thought that the management came from the floor, that is that they were once officers, is that wrong or are you suggesting that the promotional process is wrong or corrupt? Surely you can only get promoted if you have managment skills, good record etc. It looks to me that the prison service has no 'espirit de corps' when compared to the Gardai or the Army. Like I said, I mean no disrespect, I am just an interested bystander.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

yvette32 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how anyone could do a job they hate, although I understand that in the present climate people get trapped - there's not many jobs out there. I thought that the management came from the floor, that is that they were once officers, is that wrong or are you suggesting that the promotional process is wrong or corrupt? Surely you can only get promoted if you have managment skills, good record etc. It looks to me that the prison service has no 'espirit de corps' when compared to the Gardai or the Army. Like I said, I mean no disrespect, I am just an interested bystander.

I'm not a moany politicker, as outlined by my previous post which you've referenced! But I've heard a statement in the jails among some staff (possibly disgruntled) that says 'Never promote anyone smarter than yourself!'

There does exist a comeraderie (sp?) among the staff but this can sometimes border on cliques. As you've said, promotions come from the ground up, so you can imagine what happens when a chap gets promoted, he'll have hangers on sucking up to him, or cockers as they're known!!! He'll also have legitimate friends who he (or she) will vouch for when positions arise, sometimes ahead of more suitable candidates.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of second generation staff, or Jail Pups as they're known. Coincidence or nepotism?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

yvette32 wrote: »
    As the previous poster said we stay in the job because most of us have no other qualifications and the money at one time was good and the job at least gave you a good standard of living and a deacent pension unfortuANTLY THINGS HAVE CHANGED !! Yes management do come from the floor and yes the promotion system is grossly unfair , there are NO exams to sit and basically you need your govenors say so before you get promoted so if your govenor doesnt like you your fecked :( The majority of the Old govenors have no management skills and most didnt even sit the leaving cert though i do suppose that at this stage almost all of them are at the stage where they did at least sit the leaving cert ;) .Amazingly when us ordinary lads see who is going for promotion we can nearly tell you who will get on the panel how strange is that ??Think about it and its not because they are good at there job believe me :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 volrex

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm not a moany politicker, as outlined by my previous post which you've referenced! But I've heard a statement in the jails among some staff (possibly disgruntled) that says 'Never promote anyone smarter than yourself!'

There does exist a comeraderie (sp?) among the staff but this can sometimes border on cliques. As you've said, promotions come from the ground up, so you can imagine what happens when a chap gets promoted, he'll have hangers on sucking up to him, or cockers as they're known!!! He'll also have legitimate friends who he (or she) will vouch for when positions arise, sometimes ahead of more suitable candidates.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of second generation staff, or Jail Pups as they're known. Coincidence or nepotism?

Do these "Jail Pups" or whatever they're called, automatically get put forward for promotion or do they have to go through the same process as everybody else?
    What is the process anyway??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Rawhead wrote: »
    You can be sure as sh1te that warders will be driving home in full blue now, especially at xmas with a load on. The only thing is impersonating a Garda has never hindered a career in the IPS, just ask the warders (now governors) who did speed checks in the Phoenix park with the hair dryer.

In all seriousness I believe it's a nightmare for the PSEC lads dealing with this in court. Someone in a very high pay grade failed to see a problem with dressing Guards and PO's in identical uniforms with identical identification numbers. It's a pure joke of an outfit when you think of it.

Its great the way the old Jail stories get mixed up by younger staff.... The "philishave" gang to which you refer, as the name "Philishave" would suggest, used Philishave Razors.... not Hair dryers...
    And for non Prison staff watchers of this forum, this story pertains to a group of Prison Officers, who ,for reasons only best known to themselves, decided to mount a checkpoint in the Phoenix Park, and used the electric razors in their Shirt pockets to seem like they had Radios. And every single member of this group were promoted. Now this is not a recent incident, happened donkeys years ago.

Omackeral wrote: »

Lots of Jail Pups don't get a look in because of their father's history. There's an old saying , "punished for the sins of the Father ", and BY JAYSUS, does this certainly ring true in the Prison Service.. There's one thing the Jailer does spectacularly well, and that's hold a grudge. And if they can't get the old man, they'll hold on 'til a relative joins up and then it's open season on them.

What does everyone in the "job" think of the threatening letter re sick or fms taken over the xmas period from the lady in the department ??would it deter you or not when your dying from the flu ;);)

volrex wrote: »
    Do these "Jail Pups" or whatever they're called, automatically get put forward for promotion or do they have to go through the same process as everybody else?
    What is the process anyway??

Sorry Volrex and 480905, I think you might have taken me up wrong on this point. I wasn't suggesting that 'Jail Pups' get promotion ahead of others. My only point in relation to them was that there seems to be a very high number of them getting into the job in the first place. Perhaps nepotism wasn't quite the right word.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Regarding the THREATENING letter about sick and FMs, I think people may well take FMs in spite now

• Advertisement

Regarding the THREATENING letter about sick and FMs, I think people may well take FMs in spite now
    yes thats seems to be the general concensous :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

cordub wrote: »
    yes thats seems to be the general concensous :D:D:D:D

Will they ever learn! Heavy handed threats don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

I think this thread is heading in a dangerous direction folks topics are being discussed that imo should not get a mention on an open forum.

poolboy wrote: »
    I think this thread is heading in a dangerous direction folks topics are being discussed that imo should not get a mention on an open forum.

Exactly.... The watchers are watching.

I Agree folks! Perhaps a little hasty with my earlier post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdoo85

Does anyone no if they are stil doing interviews and what number are they at now.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

pdoo85 wrote: »
    Does anyone no if they are stil doing interviews and what number are they at now.?
    I think they have interviewed up as far as 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

somehope11 wrote: »
    I think they have interviewed up as far as 480.
    lads i finishedin the 500s from 2008 batch do you think ill be interviewed in 2012 as im thinkink of leaving the country?Any news appreciated

Hi everyone im in the 500s from 2008 batch.Do ye think ill be interviewed in 2012?As im thinking off leaving the country but dont wanna pass up on the oppurtunity to work in the IPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

mufc2011 wrote: »
    Hi everyone i finished 515 in the 2008 batch.Do ye think ill be interviewed in 2012?As im thinking off leaving the country but dont wanna pass up on the oppurtunity to work in the IPS

i'm not far from u in the 2008 batch and i'm confident i'll get an interview , bit of advice i'd take down the number from your post

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i'm not far from u in the 2008 batch and i'm confident i'll get an interview , bit of advice i'd take down the number from your post[/QUOTyea think wel get interviewed to with retirements and the new extension at the midlands prison..its annoying not knowing anything about it hopefully wel be called early in the new year

i'm not far from u in the 2008 batch and i'm confident i'll get an interview , bit of advice i'd take down the number from your post[/QUOTyea think wel get interviewed to with retirements and the new extension at the midlands prison..its annoying not knowing anything about it hopefully wel be called early in the new year

your number on the panel you cant be too carefull here big brother is watching :)

your number on the panel you cant be too carefull here big brother is watching :)
    how do ya take it down??im new to this thing!

how do ya take it down??im new to this thing!

just edit your posts with your number on it

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all you lads and ladies working over the xmas , amazingly so we are so too often forgotten amongst those named to be working xmas day , wishing you all all a peaceful day where we all know the warders great sense of humour will lighten the mood :D:D:D:D

Cordub, was listening to newstalk yesterday when I heard best wishes from the minister to the members and families of all emergency and security services over the xmas! Amazingly he named them out as usual but this time the prison service got a thank you too! First time I ever heard that

Salmon wrote: »
    Cordub, was listening to newstalk yesterday when I heard best wishes from the minister to the members and families of all emergency and security services over the xmas! Amazingly he named them out as usual but this time the prison service got a thank you too! First time I ever heard that

Yeah heard that too. He'd want to remember us ,the amount of business he's got off us.....:-P .

Salmon wrote: »
    THATS A FIRST
    I find it amazing when people i know ask me in shock " do ye work on xmas day " haha what do they think happens we close the jails for the day???People dont really think about it do they :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are there many being let out on Temporary Release do you guys know?

• Advertisement

Advertisement