Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 micki1983

To those thinking about applying, the job can be serious craic most days. I am currently going through a serious personal problem and the officers (who I dared to tell) made me laugh about it even though I shouldn't but I needed the slagging to help me deal with it! The craic in the jail has got me through this weekend so far and will tomorrow. it's just no harm for possible new recruits to know what they are getting into.
    Happy xmas everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

micki1983 wrote: »
    To those thinking about applying, the job can be serious craic most days. I am currently going through a serious personal problem and the officers (who I dared to tell) made me laugh about it even though I shouldn't but I needed the slagging to help me deal with it! The craic in the jail has got me through this weekend so far and will tomorrow. it's just no harm for possible new recruits to know what they are getting into.
    Happy xmas everyone :D
    does anyone no will they be recruiting next year or doing interviews???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76025454

For those of you who work in prison could you read this tread and give your thoughts on the charity work done by SVP in prisons

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

m1se wrote: »

For those of you who work in prison could you read this tread and give your thoughts on the charity work done by SVP in prisons
    Dont think they do a lot really a lot of the lads that go to them would be fellas off the street so they find it good to keep in contact with them , One thing that infuriated me years ago though was seeing a 100 pound come into the prison for a fella to help him get over the xmas :rolleyes::rolleyes: that was a lot of money back then and all your man spent it on was cigs :( i was thinking of all the people outside struggling to buy santa presents . bar the toy appeal i have never given a cent to them since it angered me so much :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

I saw first hand this xmas what they gave out in our jail and it was a disgrace....smokes,dust(tobacco),sweets and boxes of chocolates and it wasn't just the odd prisoner here and there it was well over 100....and to top it all off "loans" for family members on the outside to help them over the xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes, that's correct, they spend peoples donations on cigarettes and chocolate for prisoners.

Every day that they come in there is a que to see them. But once one of the prisoners announces that they have run out of free ciggies, they que quickly disperses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A lot of SVP donors would be annoyed to learn their money gets spent on ' treats ' like that.

Delancey wrote: »
    A lot of SVP donors would be annoyed to learn their money gets spent on ' treats ' like that.

And rightly so...............

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

SVP really should be a bit more honest about where donations go, I too was shocked to see how much they spent on prisoners. They are sold a sob story and then treated like a tobacco atm by prisoners. If they only looked after those prisoners who genuinely had nothing it would not be too bad, (kinda) but they give to those who def do not need it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Any new recruitment campaigns gonna be coming along soon anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

eimear10 wrote: »
    Any new recruitment campaigns gonna be coming along soon anybody know?

Very unlikely. They still have a panel to pick from if they are taking on anymore recruits.

Very unlikely. They still have a panel to pick from if they are taking on anymore recruits.
    are they taking on more this year from existing panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i think this has gone viral :D
    no harm - if they only knew the half of it!

no offence but there is no point in arguing with anybody on that thread. sure they know it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Sorry if this question has been answered to death already, I'm just wondering what the current situation is in the prison service regarding recruitment. Is there panels in place? Will there be a fresh campaign any time soon? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Sorry if this question has been answered to death already, I'm just wondering what the current situation is in the prison service regarding recruitment. Is there panels in place? Will there be a fresh campaign any time soon? Thanks

It has indeed been done to death, most recently 3 posts above yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just on the RTE Six One News tonight.

27 year old Dublin man found dead this morning at 7am in Mountjoy Prison. The prisoner was in a single cell and was serving a 4 year sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just on the RTE Six One News tonight.

27 year old Dublin man found dead this morning at 7am in Mountjoy Prison. The prisoner was in a single cell and was serving a 4 year sentence.

relevance to this recruitment thread ???

cavan4sam wrote: »

Actually very relevant. Not every person (including potential recruits) will have to deal with death as part of their duties in work. I was just highlighting something from our profession that is current and relevant enough for national news and therefore, quite relevant to anyone thinking of getting into this line of work. Nice input from you, though.

Could you perhaps point the rest of us, who are obviously not so enlightened as your good self, to where this thread is listed as being solely about recruitment?

The title itself is a good starting point, and doesn't even mention the word "recruitment".

In fact, if you had read the entire thread prior to posting then you would know that all sorts of advice is sought from serving officers, and officers use the thread to discuss an extremely wide range of issues relevant to themselves and their job.

Even if i run with your point for a minute & suppose that people do come her purely for recruitment advice,
    Don't you think that if the possibility even remotely exists where an officer can lift the flap on a door and see a dead body on the other side, that the potential recruit should be made aware of this?

Do you think it might influence his/her decision?

or at the very least inform them more fully of the job they are considering?

Would that be considered relevant??

And what of the officers that did actually find the prisoner?
    Do you not think that they might find it useful to share their experiences anonomously (albeit in a limited manner) with others who may be in a similar position?
    Speaking from personal experience, which i am not going to go into on a public forum, i can tell you that no-one knows how they will react until they find themselves in those circumstances.

If you think for one second that a prisoner dying in custody has no relevance to our job then you're sadly mistaken...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Could you perhaps point the rest of us, who are obviously not so enlightened as your good self, to where this thread is listed as being solely about recruitment?

The title itself is a good starting point, and doesn't even mention the word "recruitment".

In fact, if you had read the entire thread prior to posting then you would know that all sorts of advice is sought from serving officers, and officers use the thread to discuss an extremely wide range of issues relevant to themselves and their job.

Even if i run with your point for a minute & suppose that people do come her purely for recruitment advice,
    Don't you think that if the possibility even remotely exists where an officer can lift the flap on a door and see a dead body on the other side, that the potential recruit should be made aware of this?

Do you think it might influence his/her decision?

or at the very least inform them more fully of the job they are considering?

Would that be considered relevant??

And what of the officers that did actually find the prisoner?
    Do you not think that they might find it useful to share their experiences anonomously (albeit in a limited manner) with others who may be in a similar position?
    Speaking from personal experience, which i am not going to go into on a public forum, i can tell you that no-one knows how they will react until they find themselves in those circumstances.

If you think for one second that a prisoner dying in custody has no relevance to our job then you're sadly mistaken...

not to sound like a dick and i do agree with every thing you said but the thread is under the Other Emergency Services Recruitment so recruitment is in the title.

• Advertisement

slim1919 wrote: »
    not to sound like a dick and i do agree with every thing you said but the thread is under the Other Emergency Services Recruitment so recruitment is in the title.

ok lads point taken perhaps i was a bit quick to judge but the point i was trying to get across is that us potential recruits dont need every thing that appears on the news posted here , for the record i work in mental health and have discovered a few people dead or close to death on a number of occasions and i do feel for the staff that find them as i know personally that it is quite disturbing and unnerving , so apologies to all and thanks to serving officers for sharing tips and experiences

i'm off for a serving of humble pie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

ok lads point taken perhaps i was a bit quick to judge but the point i was trying to get across is that us potential recruits dont need every thing that appears on the news posted here , for the record i work in mental health and have discovered a few people dead or close to death on a number of occasions and i do feel for the staff that find them as i know personally that it is quite disturbing and unnerving , so apologies to all and thanks to serving officers for sharing tips and experiences

Spoken like a true gent fair dues to you Cavan4sam

Fair play to you. I cant say I'd be too quick to humbly apologise on a forum like you did where you're not really answerable to anybody.

Just for the record mate, I wouldn't and don't go posting pointless rumours or idle gossip from the job. I just felt that this news did warrant a mention to any would-be recruits who may have missed it. Incidents like this can happen but are by no means a regular occurrence in our jails (thankfully) and hopefully this is the only one we have this year.

Omackeral wrote: »
    hopefully this is the only one we have this year.

I'll second that,it's horrible for everyone involved.

Actually, to be honest, i never really noticed that until now! So hands up, i stand corrected :o

Still think this thread is very useful for all aspects of the job though, and i personally would like if we could use it that way?

Fair play to cavan4sam too, none of us are perfect, myself definately included, apologies if i came accross as a bit arsey,
    everyday is a school-day...

ok lads as ferguson would say its squeaky bum time now
    letter in the post for interview in a little over a fortnight
    anyone from the current campaign that would like to pm some tips i would really appreciate them now
    thanks in advance lads

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

anyone from the current campaign that would like to pm some tips i would really appreciate them now
    thanks in advance lads

Remember those competencies you filled out? Read them. And then have another two examples in your head for each one to be able to talk to them about if they ask you for another example..( I had to give another three examples for one competency )
    Know your C.V. And be able to explain any times where you may not have been working and what you were doing.
    When doing the group work, don't hide in the shadows when it comes to getting involved, but don't try to be a know it all either..
    Think along these lines and you'll be fine..

anyone else called for interview 2day?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

thanks in advance lads

Did you get a letter saying interview in two weeks or were you told your letter was in the post and would be out in two weeks

• Advertisement

Did you get a letter saying interview in two weeks or were you told your letter was in the post and would be out in two weeks

i got a letter saying to fill out form on public jobs by jan 30th and that interviews/group excercise/report writing would be commencing feb 6th and we will be notified of dates times etc ...

Advertisement