Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAYS CHEAPEST PETROL THREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

149:9 in emo. Clare street. Dock rd was expensive at 154:9 in both stations. Petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can garage owners fiddle with the prices?? advirtise a reduced rate but make no change to the pumps?

or is it just me being cynically minded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So has anyone had any problems with the fuel they have bought in City Diesel?

Diesel is 139.9 at Chawkes since yesterday Petrol is 149.9

I'd agree with alaskimo-cake who mentioned poor mpg from chawkes, was shocked to see the 50 quid I put in to my car dissapear far too fast, whereas the 50 quid I put in from the emo is still giving me miles. Had no change of driving habits (eco driving nowadays:) )

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

padma wrote: »
    I'd agree with alaskimo-cake who mentioned poor mpg from chawkes, was shocked to see the 50 quid I put in to my car dissapear far too fast, whereas the 50 quid I put in from the emo is still giving me miles. Had no change of driving habits (eco driving nowadays:) )

I filled up in Chawkes last Wednesday morning, drove to Dublin, did a wee bit of driving round the suburbs (ie very little sitting in traffic, very little driving in the low gears) and drove back home that afternoon. When I got back to my house I swear to God I only had a quarter tank left :mad::mad::mad: Was doing my best to drive economically, and at this stage I really can't afford any more penalty points so I was minding my speed the whole way. I used to use either Emo on Clare St. or Garryowen Stores Maxol but neither accept AmEx. At this stage I may just go back to using them, paying from my own cash and claiming it back in expenses. Bit of a nuisanace though. Anyone know any other filling stations that take AmEx?

I know a lot of people say that there is no difference in quality of petrol but honestly I've seen and come across major discrepancies in mpg from different stations. A few months ago I was praising topaz thomondgate for good mpg, but three or four bad runs from them left me seeking elsewhere. Emo has come out on top for me at this stage, plus its below the 1:50 mark which is becoming rare nowadays. I drive about 100 city miles 5 days a week, A full tank of emo gives me that with a quarter left in the tank on a Monday morning. All in all about 950 kms a go.

Service your car, clean up with one or two bottles of good engine cleaner and see the mpg increase.

Don't use a card so cant offer advice on amex etc.

is it diesel or petrol you are using

petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

+1 for emo
    -1 for chawkes

use same route around city every week. chawkes always used to come up short. I avoid chawkes these days. Always awkward getting fuel there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know a lot of people say that there is no difference in quality of petrol but honestly I've seen and come across major discrepancies in mpg from different stations. A few months ago I was praising topaz thomondgate for good mpg, but three or four bad runs from them left me seeking elsewhere. Emo has come out on top for me at this stage, plus its below the 1:50 mark which is becoming rare nowadays. I drive about 100 city miles 5 days a week, A full tank of emo gives me that with a quarter left in the tank on a Monday morning. All in all about 950 kms a go.

Service your car, clean up with one or two bottles of good engine cleaner and see the mpg increase.

Don't use a card so cant offer advice on amex etc.

You get 950km from a full tank of petrol doing mostly city driving?

What size tank does your car have? The standard is about the 42
    litre mark to my knowledge .

That would have you getting 100km to the gallon doing city driving. If you are getting that from a standard petrol car then I want your secret. :)

a 50 litre tank, I kid you not, fill to the brim, squeezing every last drop in to it, new fuel filter, regular service and 2 bottles of stuff in to it 3 months ago. The two days off from work, on the motorway to dublin 55 mph, city driving low revs high gears, light foot. Sailing down hills in high gears, pulse driving.

Eating oil though.icon6.gif

keep the tyre pressure at 32 psi, checking every two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Emo on Clare Street is 138.9 for diesel at the moment. I'm getting around 1200km from a full 61 litre tank.

correction 54 litre tank

a 50 litre tank, I kid you not, fill to the brim, squeezing every last drop in to it, new fuel filter, regular service and 2 bottles of stuff in to it 3 months ago. The two days off from work, on the motorway to dublin 55 mph, city driving low revs high gears, light foot. Sailing down hills in high gears, pulse driving.

Must have a decent sized engine to have a 54 litre tank.

You are still getting a pretty decent return though. Roughly 80km or 50 miles to the gallon.

I would have guessed that it was a fairly recent 1.4 petrol with an engine with a form of eco tech, but your 54 litre tank has thrown me off as to what brand and type it is now.:)

Fair play on going the extra mile (pun intended) to get value from your fuel though. It baffles me when I see people lining up at the pumps in places like the Topaz in Dooradoye where it is 157.9 a litre. Getting value for money or a decent return in mileage against money spent is not something those folk look at.

its a citroen xsara 99, 1.4i n1 engine code :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

But sure thats no fun:D

Browney7 wrote: »
    But sure thats no fun:D

it's a need, though from kildare onwards it's stuck on the speed limit due to traffic congestion forcing me on and not to be a hindrance to other users on the road ie, trucks, buses etc. In this day and age and the cost of petrol I drive by need, not want nowadays. It gets a good bit of revving too mind to keep her ticking over nicely.

its a citroen xsara 99, 1.4i n1 engine code :):D

My 1.4 line of thinking was right then. I was way of in terms of the year though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

The Tesco station at Coonagh Cross opened this morning. Petrol is 146.9.

Emo on Clare St is cheaper at 146.7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    The Tesco station at Coonagh Cross opened this morning. Petrol is 146.9.
    Emo on Clare St is cheaper at 146.7
    Fudge, thought I was fierce smart filling it to the brim in NCW last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Feck thought it would be cheaper, whats the price on diesel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cant complain but thought it would be a bit cheaper considering the fuss the other stations were apparently kicking up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

anyone see the diesel prices there yet?
    If not, ill check on way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Melion wrote: »
    Cant complain but thought it would be a bit cheaper considering the fuss the other stations were apparently kicking up

Hopefully will bring some competition to the area and force the other nearby ones to drop their prices a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Garveys in Newcastlwest, petrol: 145.9

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You can pay at the pump at the Tesco one,very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Mc Love wrote: »
    So has anyone had any problems with the fuel they have bought in City Diesel?

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about them too, I've started using them

You getting good mileage out of it LB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Mc Love wrote: »
    You getting good mileage out of it LB?

I've only filled up a couple of times and I'm getting about 800km out of a full tank - on a 1.6 engine. I do a bit of city driving but at weekends I often head away.

I was more concerned about bad diesel damaging the car, was just curious as to other people's experiences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement