Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAYS CHEAPEST PETROL THREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nothing like good, reliable information... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I believe both Tesco and Great Gass today were 144.9/L petrol... Again forgot to check diesel, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Tesco is 144.9. The topaz across the road between the coonagh and clondrinagh roundabouts, is 145.9. I'd bet that they will be closed by Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tesco is 144.9. The topaz across the road between the coonagh and clondrinagh roundabouts, is 145.9. I'd bet that they will be closed by Xmas.

Topaz have a lot of companies using fuel cards and this station is well situated for vehicles coming through or from the city heading to the west, it could well survive on those customers, also, I doubt Tesco will keep their fuel prices that low, they haven't in Dundrum the exception might be Killarney.

phog wrote: »
    Topaz have a lot of companies using fuel cards and this station is well situated for vehicles coming through or from the city heading to the west, it could well survive on those customers, also, I doubt Tesco will keep their fuel prices that low, they haven't in Dundrum the exception might be Killarney.

You could well be right. I hadn't thought of that. I do remember that the petrol station owners association kicked up quite a fuss when Tesco announced plans for a petrol station. Probably coz they knew it would mean extinction for a few of them. I passed the Tesco petrol station tonight. I was going to buy 20 quids worth. I didn't bother coz every pump was taken and there were cars waiting behind most of the pumps too. Couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement

You could well be right. I hadn't thought of that. I do remember that the petrol station owners association kicked up quite a fuss when Tesco announced plans for a petrol station. Probably coz they knew it would mean extinction for a few of them. I passed the Tesco petrol station tonight. I was going to buy 20 quids worth. I didn't bother coz every pump was taken and there were cars waiting behind most of the pumps too. Couldn't be bothered.

I remember queues in Dan Ryans at Punch's cross too but that's been closed for a good few years now ;)

I remember queues in Dan Ryans at Punch's cross too but that's been closed for a good few years now ;)

Rats are probably the only thing queuing up to get into that eyesore now. I don't think Dan Ryan had the might of a multinational corporation behind him, though. Tesco vs Shell Oil on the Coonagh Roundabout will be a far more interesting scrap than 10 Haye vs Klitschko's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

wheres tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    wheres tesco?

Coonagh Roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

+1

Tesco will keep their prices cheap and hope to close down one or two of their local competitors,once they're gone their prices will be back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Great Gas on Ennis Road next to Supermacs is matching Tescos price 144.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Great Gas on Ennis Road next to Supermacs is matching Tescos price 144.9.

They don't have much choice to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That was bought by Joan Chawke and her family some 10-15 years before it closed. It was Dan Ryan's before that, and the site where the Peony court is now, was a Hot Rock type diner and an Esso station before that again which was owned by the father of Joan Chawke.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They don't have much choice to be honest.

Well now in fairness to them they were always one of the cheaper ones in Limerick before Tesco came about!

Tesco diesel has gone up to 139.9, Maxol in Castletroy is 142.9 but with the .5c a litre off with Superquin vouchers that's better value.

Tesco petrol has gone up to 147.9... Meanwhile Great Gas and Topaz down the road have also increased to 148.9! Anti-competitive bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

anyone know what the topaz in corbally is for unleaded?,was told it's the cheapest of the topaz stations!! Tesco still ok for the points, & convienent for the shopping..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

littlemis wrote: »
    anyone know what the topaz in corbally is for unleaded?,was told it's the cheapest of the topaz stations!! Tesco still ok for the points, & convienent for the shopping..

Topaz in corbally is 149.9. I was just told Emo on old cork road is 140.9 for unleaded

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I thought the only petrol station on the old cork road was the Amber Station?

Melion wrote: »
    Topaz in corbally is 149.9. I was just told Emo on old cork road is 140.9 for unleaded

If you mean the Amber station on the left just after the Georgian village, then it is 148.9 for unleaded there today and 140.9 for Diesel.
    Drove past it about 30 minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yeah its an Amber now, "apparently" used to be an Emo. I drove out there today too, the diesel was 140.9 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Is City Diesel gone? Went past today and the price was gone from the sign, but the sign was still up.
    The pumps also seemed to be gone, but they weren't working last week - so maybe they're being replaced?

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    Is City Diesel gone? Went past today and the price was gone from the sign, but the sign was still up.
    The pumps also seemed to be gone, but they weren't working last week - so maybe they're being replaced?

I am guessing the City council hit the place with another enforcement order like they did in August of last year

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/cut_price_limerick_diesel_depot_ordered_to_close_down_by_council_1_2192739

There was notice of an attempted retention order either on one of the radio news reports or in one of the local papers last week for forecourt facilities/fuel pumps, so maybe the owners are trying to go down the legal route again to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know the cheapest for diesel in and around the city? Is amber cheaper than EMO or vice versa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest for diesel in and around the city? Is amber cheaper than EMO or vice versa?

If we could also comment on the Quality of the fuel as well as I find sometimes I will pay the extra few cents just for the Quality.

Used to go to city fuel for Diesel, very cheap and good quality, found great gas to be of poor quality, using Tesco now just because of the points (they are not 24hrs despite the big sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

brian2me wrote: »
    If we could also comment on the Quality of the fuel as well as I find sometimes I will pay the extra few cents just for the Quality.

Used to go to city fuel for Diesel, very cheap and good quality, found great gas to be of poor quality, using Tesco now just because of the points (they are not 24hrs despite the big sign)

The sign for the petrol station doesn't say 24 hrs, something along the lines of 7am to 10-11pm.

brian2me wrote: »

Really? A mate of mine got his diesel in City Diesel and made his car bounce and judder. Had no problems before he went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I obviously missed something big happening in the middle east this week . Prices went from €1.469 to €1.499 between the start of the week and the end of the week ......................... must be a bank holiday over there as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mc Love wrote: »

Fairgreen Texaco Filling Station on Mulgrave Street is 140.9 for diesel at the moment. Same price as EMO afaik.

BTW City Fuels are no more, passed there earlier and the two pumps are gone and all signs taken down, not that I'd chance theirs anyway.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fairgreen Texaco Filling Station on Mulgrave Street is 140.9 for diesel at the moment. Same price as EMO afaik.

BTW City Fuels are no more, passed there earlier and the two pumps are gone and all signs taken down, not that I'd chance theirs anyway.

Good to know about the fairgreen filling station :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement