Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAYS CHEAPEST PETROL THREAD!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

phog wrote: »
    I was in Tesco's (Coonagh Cross) the other night and saw that they have reduced the size of their car park and seem to have started the construction of their petrol station.

Off topic - this was about 23:00hrs and the place was thronged, also, the layout of the carpark entrance and exit seemed to be poorly signposted.

Over the last year Tesco Petrol stations have become the same price/dearer as their local counterparts.Only thing I'm looking forward to is a jetwash being installed which takes coins,severely lacking this side of town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The car park is a disaster now. The left turn you have to take to enter it is too sharp, there will be plenty of accidents there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Melion wrote: »
    The car park is a disaster now. The left turn you have to take to enter it is too sharp, there will be plenty of accidents there now.

Ya, people will have to slow down to car park speeds

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

phill106 wrote: »
    Ya, people will have to slow down to car park speeds

Will your car make it up the ramp? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

MarkR wrote: »
    Will your car make it up the ramp? :)

If the ramp stays the same yes, doesn't seem bad!
    If they changed coonagh to a multistory i would never go again in my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Strange change around

Texaco Roxboro Unleaded 149.9
    Topaz Roxboro Unleaded 147.9

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Applegreen in Corbally was 146.8 for unleaded the other night and 141.8 if you were getting a car wash at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Jaysus thats dangerous, what if too much water got into the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Topaz Corbally was 146.9 today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It was 147.9 at 19:00 this evening...damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Page 9 is pretty depressing now :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Page 9 is pretty depressing now :(

:eek:
    I cant even remember petrol being those prices :( Have to laugh at someone complaining how expensive it was at 92c per litre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not petrol but Chawkes have the cheapest Diesel at the moment 140.9, Topaz in Roxboro is 145.9, Amber is 143.9 (usually the cheapest), Groody Filling stations are both 144.9

Just went and filled up the car! :D

EDIT: Petrol is 150.9 in Chawkes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

just slightly out of limerick, city fuels on the limerick road out of tipp (the old car tec site)are selling diesel only at 139.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Not the cheapest, but the dearest. 157.9 for petrol at Topaz Dooradoyle beside the Regional. A fcuking disgrace. I'd let my baby run out of petrol before i'd pay those rip-off merchants.

I dont understand how they can charge so much!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Sometimes the cheapest is not necessarily the best.

I used to purchase the cheapest diesel in my area but it was giving a poor mpg.
    I found the second cheapest in the area to give better mpg!

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont understand how they can charge so much!?

I cannot understand how there are normally plenty of cars filling up at the pumps when there are two other stations in the area, one a few hundred yards away, that are cheaper (both over the 150 mark though) and getting their fuel from the same fuel depot as the Topaz beside the Hospital.

Great to see that the same little cluster of stations ( Topaz beside Hospital, both Topaz stations on Dock road, Maxol beside hospital, and Texaco near Southcourt) are continuing the amazing coincidence of being consistently the most expensive cluster of station in Limerick. One would almost think that there is no attempt at being competitive price wise and that they are all staying high pricewise in the knowledge that none will drop pricing.

Of course such a thing would be illegal as it would be a cartel of sorts, and I am sure that such a thing would never go on. :rolleyes:

The price of unleaded is not below either 153.9 or 154.9 in any of them with the most expensive clocking in at 157.9.

I had gotten in touch with a local paper some time back about the idea of the paper running a fuel price watch thiong every week.

The jist was that the paper could put up a list of the cheapest and most expensive stations each week, and Joe Public could make up his own mind on where to go, as the idea was that the article would pass no comment on the station's prices in terms of whether it was good or bad.

Basically I was told it would not happen as it could offend the owners of the more expensive stations. How simply listing the prices that the stations have already put on show for the public to see could be offensive is beyond me. Maybe they meant that certain stations did not want to be seen as the rip off merchants they are and the idea of price comparisons with competitive stations hurt their delicate sensibilities.

yourpics wrote: »

Now there is some truth in that, but some of the most expensive stations in Limerick are buying their fuel from the same company and it is being delivered from the same depot as the fuel being sold in some of the cheapest stations in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

tbh, anyone who gets their petrol in any of them stations must have money to burn or else are totally blind to Limerick CITY prices. Maybe there are so many people living in dooradoyle and raheen who never venture in to Limerick City and therefore have no idea of what the real cost of petrol is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Kess73 wrote: »
    Now there is some truth in that, but some of the most expensive stations in Limerick are buying their fuel from the same company and it is being delivered from the same depot as the fuel being sold in some of the cheapest stations in Limerick.

I'm not defending them but different places have different overheads,costs and margins.Only reason they charge so much is because they have realised joe public will pay the stupid money.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

flutered wrote: »
    just slightly out of limerick, city fuels on the limerick road out of tipp (the old car tec site)are selling diesel only at 139.9.

Same gang that has City Fuels on Clare St. in Limerick, same signage/logo, just different name. Live across the road from them but won't be trying them any time soon.
    yourpics wrote: »

Twice I've noticed I don't get anywhere NEAR the usual MPG when I get diesel from Chawkes, but when I'm heading in the Dublin direction they're handiest, and they take AmEx so I just go with it. I know I'm not actually paying for my diesel but it still bothers me if I don't get value for money. Has anyone else noticed this with diesel from Chawkes or was it just that I was driving particularly hard those two times?

I'm not defending them but different places have different overheads,costs and margins.Only reason they charge so much is because they have realised joe public will pay the stupid money.

Well the fact that that same cluster of stations have consistently stayed high in terms of price pretty much means they don't have to worry about dropping prices or competing. Means if people in that area want to get their fuel at a more competitive price then they have to drive a number of miles to do so.

A most fortuitous turn of events for that cluster of stations.

Nobody competes in terms of prices and nobody has to drop prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 big fellow

I was at a station a few months back when i saw customs guys taping up the diesel pumps.
    What do you think?

I really dont think there is any difference with filling up in different stations. As long as the price is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

grenache wrote: »
    Not the cheapest, but the dearest. 157.9 for petrol at Topaz Dooradoyle beside the Regional. A fcuking disgrace. I'd let my baby run out of petrol before i'd pay those rip-off merchants.

saw this today and its just obscene - I thought I heard that last week the cost of crude oil was coming down or was I just dreaming that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

angeleyes wrote: »
    saw this today and its just obscene - I thought I heard that last week the cost of crude oil was coming down or was I just dreaming that?
    I didn't hear that but I've noticed it at the pumps, Diesel in Applegreen in Corbally fell from 141.8 to 138.8, another few drops like that please and we'll be laughing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Was chatting to the guy in City Diesel the other day. He was saying he's constantly getting the customs guys checking his pumps, moreso than any other stations, he reckons other station owners are suspicious of them because of his prices and are reporting him. His reason for his low price is the other filling station owners are just plain greedy. Good on him I say, if people compete with his prices the better for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I used to live in Dooradoyle and those petrol stations were always the dearest out of all the stations i kept an eye on, so i never got my petrol there. I work in town so used always get my petrol on the Old Cork Road cos he was normally fairly well priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was chatting to the guy in City Diesel the other day. He was saying he's constantly getting the customs guys checking his pumps, moreso than any other stations, he reckons other station owners are suspicious of them because of his prices and are reporting him. His reason for his low price is the other filling station owners are just plain greedy. Good on him I say, if people compete with his prices the better for the consumer.

Staying ahead of the planning laws probably helps too ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement