Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi guys,

According to the Ryanair website the only way to get a full refund is if you produce a death cert proving someone close has died. Would it be a bad idea to forge a death cert or change the date on a real one? Would you say Ryanair actually give more than a glance at it?

I've already gotten passed their 5 euro credit card charge per person per direction with €2000 of Blanchardstown vouchers so I'm optimistic about this.

What you's think?

Thanks, Carl

Looking to break the law, wow your smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

forensic wrote: »
    to fake any kind of death cert
    Fraud
    forensic wrote: »
    to use it
    Utterance

Easily checked up on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Yeah I know it's technically illegal but would you say they'd figure out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its michael o'leary. He will probably want to visit the grave.........

...............unless of course Ryanair don't fly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah I know it's technically illegal but would you say they'd figure out?

It's not technically illegal, it's highly illegal. Faking a death cert is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A Death Certificate is a legal document, so you would be leaving yourself liable to criminal prosecution.

Secondly, you accepted Ryanair's cancellation policy when you booked the flights. Get over it and accept the loss.

If people start doing sh*te like this, then Ryanair will cop on and tighten up, causing even more regulations for us to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mine's a Pint

Got my (ash cloud) dosh in the end. Happy now and coughed up for more flights. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

travel ryanair quite regularly. know what to expect and have never had a problem as a result.

I travelled recently with my family and booked priority for myself and my wife because we have 2 kids under 2 and we just find it easier being the first few to get on the plane, considering we have to collapse 2 buggies before we get on etc etc.

We were at the boarding gate in Dublin Airport near the top of the priority queue and were about to board when a ryanair staff member asks my wife to step aside so that she can check the size of her carry on bag. The bag in question is the normal wheel type one which is specifically smaller than the max dimensions allowed as cabin baggage. We have brought it on board many times in the past without any problems. It was in fact weighing only 4kg at that time as all it contained were baby food, clothes etc for the flight. My wife was struggling to get it into the bag size checker as she had a baby with her and her flight documents and passport in one hand. the ryanair staff member refused to help her put it in. As a result I had to go back to her and put it in the size checker for her. Not surprisingly it fit it and we were ready to go.

At this point the priority queue had been let through and a large amount of the non-priority queue had also been let through.

My gripe here is not with the bag checking but with the charging us for priority boarding yet not allowing us to use it.
    I genuinely dont care about the money anymore but really dont want this to happen to us or anyone else again.
    Surely if you pay for something, you should be given the opportunity to use it?
    People need to be made aware that by paying for priority boarding doesnt mean you're going to get it.
    Is there any point in me contacting Ryanair about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

They were right to do what they did if you ask me.

If they stopped boarding everytime someone had a problem with a bag etc it could have a knock on delay on the flight, if it misses it's departure slot, it could be arriving late at it's destination.

They were right to do what they did if you ask me.

If they stopped boarding everytime someone had a problem with a bag etc it could have a knock on delay on the flight, if it misses it's departure slot, it could be arriving late at it's destination.

i completely understand that and I like ryanair as they are generally on time.
    But I dont agree that you charge someone for something that you are denying them the opportunity to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Retailer wrote: »
    i completely understand that and I like ryanair as they are generally on time.
    But I dont agree that you charge someone for something that you are denying them the opportunity to use.

How long did the encounter with the bag check guy last?

It doesnt sound like they 'denied' you the opportunity, just that you werent in the queue when they called for the priority queue members. If the priority queue was quite short, they would have moved onto the regular queue in quick succession. That happened to me once, and I just cut into the normal queue at the top, apologised, flashed my priority queue card, and was still at the top of the normal queue of people.

syklops wrote: »
    How long did the encounter with the bag check guy last?

It doesnt sound like they 'denied' you the opportunity, just that you werent in the queue when they called for the priority queue members. If the priority queue was quite short, they would have moved onto the regular queue in quick succession. That happened to me once, and I just cut into the normal queue at the top, apologised, flashed my priority queue card, and was still at the top of the normal queue of people.

we were in the priority queue which had just been called. we were about 4th or 5th in that queue. when we got to the top of that queue and they checked our boarding passes and passports we were then pulled aside. meanwhile the remainder of the priority queue had been processed and they then started on the non-priority queue whilst we were still getting the bag checked. How long were we getting the bag checked?....At a guess I'd say 2 to 3 minutes, purely because my wife was struggling trying to juggle the bag, the baby, the buggy and the passports and boarding cards and as a result I had to go back to help her.

we werent able to cut in front of the the normal queue as they had already processed what seemed like 30 to 40 people from it. they had closed the doors at the bottom of the steps (ie: priority queue were outside the door on the tarmac and non-priority were behind the locked doors, including us).

It's not all that much of a big thing, we got on the flight, got our seats together (just about), so all was ok in the end.
    I just have a problem paying the money for a service I didnt receive.
    I'll know not to get stung again but this shouldnt really be allowed to happen to others.

Maybe cutting the queue might be a valid option, but when you have two babies and 2 buggies with you in that tight space its not possible.

I've never understood how they deal with the bag check anyway as surely if you have to then have it put in as checked luggage it takes ages to process the payment and then get the bag put in the hold, potentially delaying the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Retailer, you have every right to be pissed off here. This would be a completely different story if you in fact had over weight or over sized baggage but you didnt. You wont get anywhere with this but might be no harm to make a complaint to Ryanair anyway by letter just to see what happens but I wouldnt expect anything to happen. The problem here is really down to the process for bag checking - it is seriously flawed and they really couldnt give a crap as they just want everyone onto the plane quickly.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In Dublin the priority queue is slightly pointless anyway, as Retailer described, priority and the beginning of non priority all form a crush on the stairs as they keep the lower doors closed for some time after beginning to process the queues. All priority gets you is the top of that crush.

I get what you are saying Retailer, but it seems to be a practice now to check people randomly as they go through, (which is important so people dont take the p and bring huge bags). Previously Ive seen them go along the queue beforehand, but more often they do what they did to you. It may seem unfair, and yes it would be better to check you all beforehand, but some in the priority queue only join it right as it begins to move, making a pre check impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

never pay for priority, worst case scenario when you dont find seats together, ask, people will swap for you. People love to help out on getting one over on ryanair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

zuroph wrote: »
    never pay for priority, worst case scenario when you dont find seats together, ask, people will swap for you. People love to help out on getting one over on ryanair :D

Couldn't agree more. Or go Aer Lingus if they go where you're going - they put families to the front of the queue, rather than those who've paid to be at the "top of the crush". I doubt most other passengers would begrudge giving priority to those whose needs are greatest, not their wallets.

I'm pleased to say I haven't travelled Ryanair for 7 months, and without having to pay much more. Stories like this will make me determined to try and continue to avoid them where possible. Obviously, the price is that it takes more time to load and unload the plane, but it's a bit calmer and more civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

zuroph wrote: »

Unless you want the emergency exit row.

Although I believe they're starting to charge extra for this on some routes, if so I'll stop doing it.

What really bugs me is that in some airports e.g. Liverpool. The gate number isn't posted on the board until the exact moment it opens. The ground staff (servisair) send the priority queue down the stairs about 2 minutes after the gate opens, so unless you're watching the board and get there immediately after the gate number is posted you end up having to join the regular queue.

hardCopy wrote: »

Although I believe they're starting to charge extra for this on some routes, if so I'll stop doing it.

What really bugs me is that in some airports e.g. Liverpool. The gate number isn't posted on the board until the exact moment it opens. The ground staff (servisair) send the priority queue down the stairs about 2 minutes after the gate opens, so unless you're watching the board and get there immediately after the gate number is posted you end up having to join the regular queue.

No dont join the regular queue if you have paid for priority. If the priority queue has already gone through, but it was not announced properly, go to the top of the queue, politely cut in and flash your boarding card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At some airports a bus takes the passengers out to the aircraft. All pirority does there is get you onto the bus first. A waste of money in those situations.

No dont join the regular queue if you have paid for priority. If the priority queue has already gone through, but it was not announced properly, go to the top of the queue, politely cut in and flash your boarding card.

Yeah, have done that, but it can be very hard to tell where the priority queue ends and the regular queue begins once they've been sent down, also physically difficult to squeeze past in the corridor. I've only seen this problem in Liverpool though, which has an absolute mess of a departure area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

The only reason I used it is because Aer Lingus wasn't going to Faro, Portugal and thats where we wanted to go, plus flights can be cheaper at times.

My friends and I just arrived home to Ireland from there yesterday from The Algarve and they were seriously strict about the hand luggage etc. We had already paid 35euro for the 15kilo suitcases and they went through fine but when it came to boarding...
    I got fairly annoyed. I already knew they were strict anyway but yesterday they were making everybody put their hand luggage in the bag size checker plus handbags had to be included in hand luggage.

I had my epilepsy medication in my handbag and told her I need that seperate from the other "light" bag (containing a light coat for home) and she told me to step aside...
    I pretty much snapped and said no, I wont and that all this is disgraceful etc. etc. She just kept repeating its "under Ryanair policies".
    I had a doctors letter to prove I am epileptic but like Retailer was saying, our hands are already full with passport, ticket, bags etc.
    so I didnt want to hold up the Q and have to go searching, I just said no and repeated mumbling anger and walked in anyway.

I was raging with so much more also such as toddlers being left go mad running around on the plane while they should be seated with belt as the pilots were demanding (it was a VERY rough flight all the way and Ive flown ALOT).
    Oh gosh, theres so much more but Ill shut up ranting now or my keypad will wear away).

I apoligise for ranting an essay in advance. :mad: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

hardCopy wrote: »

Just on this.
    I'm not a regular flyer but as I understand, the person by the emergency exit is supposed to be fit and somewhat well built.

So maybe a person with a cast for a broken leg might love that seat to stretch out. Would the staff remove such a person and try to slot someone mobile and fit into those seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Bubs99 wrote: »
    The only reason I used it is because Aer Lingus wasn't going to Faro, Portugal and thats where we wanted to go, plus flights can be cheaper at times.

My friends and I just arrived home to Ireland from there yesterday from The Algarve and they were seriously strict about the hand luggage etc. We had already paid 35euro for the 15kilo suitcases and they went through fine but when it came to boarding...
    I got fairly annoyed. I already knew they were strict anyway but yesterday they were making everybody put their hand luggage in the bag size checker plus handbags had to be included in hand luggage.

I had my epilepsy medication in my handbag and told her I need that seperate from the other "light" bag (containing a light coat for home) and she told me to step aside...
    I pretty much snapped and said no, I wont and that all this is disgraceful etc. etc. She just kept repeating its "under Ryanair policies".
    I had a doctors letter to prove I am epileptic but like Retailer was saying, our hands are already full with passport, ticket, bags etc.
    so I didnt want to hold up the Q and have to go searching, I just said no and repeated mumbling anger and walked in anyway.

I was raging with so much more also such as toddlers being left go mad running around on the plane while they should be seated with belt as the pilots were demanding (it was a VERY rough flight all the way and Ive flown ALOT).
    Oh gosh, theres so much more but Ill shut up ranting now or my keypad will wear away).

everything goes in one bag. when you get in flight, you could have just taken it back out to keep with you for the flight. its standard procedure. "pretty much snapping" straight away is fairly rude, you dont need to carry it on as two seperate bags. a calm chat might have been a better attempt at finding out what to do. could you fit your handbag in your carry on?

toddlers running around arent staff of Ryanair, parents should sort that out. Again, not ryanairs fault.

So, because a ryanair steward asked you to put your handbag into your carry on bag you flipped out at her? You must be a joy to travel with.

Why could you not put your medication into your pocket, and then put your handbag in there? She wasnt suggesting you were not an epileptic, all she asked you to do was put your handbag into your carry on bag. And unless your doctors note proclaimed that you must be with your handbag with you at all times, I fail to see how producing it would have helped your cause.

What do male epileptic sufferers do with their medication, considering they dont have hand bags?
    I was raging with so much more also such as toddlers being left go mad running around on the plane while they should be seated with belt as the pilots were demanding

So Ryanair pilots were demanding the kids sit down and be belted but their parents weren't complying? You can hardly blame Ryanair for that can you? What would you have the staff do? Dig a hole and cover it with leaves?

Its people like you refusing to comply with simple requests which cause me heartache on Ryanair flights, not their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What do male epileptic sufferers do with their medication, considering they dont have hand bags?

Speak for yourself.

man-bag1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Firstly, I would think that the staff you refer to are not ryanair staff but probably globeground/servsair staff.

Either way you were wrong to snap at them since you were completely in the wrong. As has already been pointed out to you unless you have a letter from your doctor specifically saying you need to carry your medication in your handbag you should put it in your carry on luggage like everyone else.

The reason Ryanair's policy is to enforce this (other than making a bit of money out of idiots who cannot follow rules) is to speed up boarding. If you have ever been on an aerlingus flight you will see the crap that goes on (although i believe they are stricter now) with people having a number of different bags taking up loads of luggage space resulting in others not having room to put in their bags and the amount of time it takes each of those people to put up their few bags rather than just simply putting up one bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Kotek Besar Stay on topic please

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

dudara wrote: »
    Kotek Besar Stay on topic please

dudara

I think you'll find I was very much on topic.

/me gets popcorn.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Just on this.
    I'm not a regular flyer but as I understand, the person by the emergency exit is supposed to be fit and somewhat well built.

So maybe a person with a cast for a broken leg might love that seat to stretch out. Would the staff remove such a person and try to slot someone mobile and fit into those seats?

They are meant to, and they do ask you if you have impaired mobility.

In reality I'm not so sure, I witnessed a massively obese bloke being asked if he needed a seatbelt extension and if he was fit enough to manage the door and help other passengers out. He got very indignant and offended at being asked this and got so thick with the air hostess that she backed down. She did mention that passengers requiring seatbelt extensions are not allowed sit there, he was just about able to manage without the extension.

Advertisement