Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Yea, I undestand the rants.

My policy -

Never buy anything apart from the basics, a seat. Don't check in a bag, even if you have kids; if your going somewhere hot you don't need much clothes and anyway you can buy cheap throwaway stuff on site.

Never buy insurance, a complete rip off; if you have personal insurance be careful, it doesn't cover one way flights, I discovered that when held up three days in Cork because of snow....., so now I don't buy personal travel insurance either.

Never buy priority boarding, and actively block those with it when they try to jump the passport queue.

Enjoy your flight, if you old enough you'll remember the old days of the airline monopolies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

BarryM wrote: »
    Never buy priority boarding, and actively block those with it when they try to jump the passport queue.

I'm not sure that's the best advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont buy priority boarding if you dont want to, but dont get in my way if I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm not sure that's the best advice.
    syklops wrote: »
    Dont buy priority boarding if you dont want to, but dont get in my way if I have.
    BarryM, clarify what you mean here by "Passport queue"? Are you referring to the passport queue after you land? or the passport queue before you enter the gate that some countries have e.g. Germany? Or do you actually mean the boarding queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Not sure how you could manage that since they're two separate queues.

Unless you mean at the bag drop desk, in which case there is no priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MaryDub

I see Lily Allen had to pay the 40 to print her boarding pass at the airport and was giving out online for paying such an amount for a piece of paper they take off you 7 minutes later! Good way of looking at it. Coming from a well-off celeb like Lily serves to show the real craziness of the charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

She had up to 15 days to print off her own piece of paper and avoid the charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MaryDub wrote: »
    I see Lily Allen had to pay the 40 to print her boarding pass at the airport and was giving out online for paying such an amount for a piece of paper they take off you 7 minutes later! Good way of looking at it. Coming from a well-off celeb like Lily serves to show the real craziness of the charge!

Why does the fact that she is a 'well off celeb' show the craziness of the charge? In my opinion, it does the opposite. Surely she can afford a laser printer better than the rest of us? I actually assumed she had 'staff' who could do menial tasks like printing stuff for her. I would even have thought that to a well off celeb such as herself, 40 euro is what she spends on lip gloss of a night and so could care less about it.

Surely the story here is why is lily allen flying with Ryanair, rather than Air Emirates, and going the rest of the way by limo?

As a previous poster said, print off your boarding card upto 15 minutes earlier and hey presto! no charge.

All Lilly Allen has done is show she is a bit thick and didnt read the terms and conditions.

All Lilly Allen has done is show she is a has-been.

FYP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Surely the story here is why is lily allen flying with Ryanair, rather than Air Emirates, and going the rest of the way by limo?

Looks like boarding pass can be reprinted up to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

At some airports a bus takes the passengers out to the aircraft. All pirority does there is get you onto the bus first. A waste of money in those situations.

I just noticed this year that in Alicante airport (new terminal) that the bus is split into two for the priority and standard tickets. They were a lot stricter this year than previous. Every other year you could go down a lift and mix with the priority queue again.

They are so much stricter there than here. They will bring out weighing scales if you seem pi$$ed off with placing your bag into the size tray. They do seem a lot friendlier here anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

That Ruinair are very unprofessional, and I understand that you get what you pay for, but when you get turned down for a ticket because you want to pay in cash and the representative thinks that you "might be a terrorist, because you don't have a credit card" then it kind of makes me want to not use them.

That Ruinair are very unprofessional, and I understand that you get what you pay for, but when you get turned down for a ticket because you want to pay in cash and the representative thinks that you "might be a terrorist, because you don't have a credit card" then it kind of makes me want to not use them.

If she actually said you "might be a terrorist, because you don't have a credit card" then that's unprofessional.

But refusing to take cash is not unprofessional. It's not hard to get a credit card, it is hard to find a website that takes any other form of payment.

I think they are very professional. They have rules which they expect everyone to follow and punish those that are unable to follow them with extra charges. Paying with cash is very inefficient and costs companies a lot of money dealing with it. I can imagine that Ryanair would rather not have the awkward customers that are more trouble than they are worth since they are the ones that hold up flights etc.

hardCopy wrote: »
    But refusing to take cash is not unprofessional. It's not hard to get a credit card, it is hard to find a website that takes any other form of payment.
    not to mention laser cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Laser is old hat at this stage. Visa Debit and Mastercard debit are easily obtainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

At the time my bank wouldn't give a credit, debit or laser card.
    What she actually said was "How do I know you're not a terrorist"

If their staff on the ground are willing to say "terrorist" are their staff in the air willing to say "bomb"?

I would prefer a flight that is not full of panicky people.

Psst.. terrorists have credit cards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

At the time my bank wouldn't give a credit, debit or laser card.
    What she actually said was "How do I know you're not a terrorist"

If their staff on the ground are willing to say "terrorist" are their staff in the air willing to say "bomb"?

I would prefer a flight that is not full of panicky people.

your bank wouldnt supply a laser card? which bank? I find that very hard to believe.

zuroph wrote: »
    your bank wouldnt supply a laser card? which bank? I find that very hard to believe.

Permanent TSB used to not give Laser cards unless customers met certain criteria, such as being in regular employment. Now though, they give Visa Debit cards to all current account customers.

• Advertisement

Many wouldn't in the early days of Laser. It was considered a form of credit back then.

Permanent TSB used to not give Laser cards unless customers met certain criteria, such as being in regular employment. Now though, they give Visa Debit cards to all current account customers.

so how did you get your money? its a debit card like, its only access to money that is IN your account?

apologies to the poster, I'm only aware of the last few years in relation to cards.

zuroph wrote: »
    so how did you get your money? its a debit card like, its only access to money that is IN your account?

apologies to the poster, I'm only aware of the last few years in relation to cards.

ATM-only card. I agree with you, it's your money. As long as there was no overdraft facility I can't really see the problem. As Our man in Havana said, they viewed a Laser card as a form of credit facility, for some reason.

Amazingly the same bank doesn't view a Visa Debit card as a credit facility, even though they do effectively the same thing and a Visa Debit card is much more widely accepted than a Laser card.

its only access to money that is IN your account?
    In the early days money was not taken out in real time so it was possible to take out vast amounts of money before the bank was aware.

They gave peasants a simple ATM card to get cash.

unfortunately Spanner, thats an issue with your bank being...well, spanners. Ryanair dont deal in cash at their desks in airports for security and logistics reasons AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I paid in cash for a replacement boarding card at a desk before.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

just a bit of a rant here, i booked a flight with ryanair 2 months ago Dublin to Barcelona. Checked in online as flight is on wednesday and i noticed that flight is now scheduled for 17:55 instead of 17:25 PM!!! They never bothered to notify me by email of the change in flight schedule, i'm not one bit impressed at all. I have the original booking mail e.g.
    From Dublin (DUB) to Barcelona (BCN)
    Wed, 22Jun11 Flight FR6395 Depart DUB at 17:35 and arrive BCN at 21:15

I don't think this is on at all, what if the flight had been scheduled 30 mins earlier and i was taking a train/bus at a specific time to get to the airport to check in 45 mins before departure only to find that the flight is actually departing in 15 mins. I know that this is not the case here, but i think it's shoddy practice not to inform passengers in advance of a change in flight schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I don't consider a 30 minute move in schedule to be excessive. Booking a flight 2 months in advance should always mean the passenger rechecking the flight times.

Do FR still have issues with people searching for flights with skyscanner.net?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bada_bing wrote: »
    just a bit of a rant here, i booked a flight with ryanair 2 months ago Dublin to Barcelona. Checked in online as flight is on wednesday and i noticed that flight is now scheduled for 17:55 instead of 17:25 PM!!! They never bothered to notify me by email of the change in flight schedule, i'm not one bit impressed at all. I have the original booking mail e.g.
    From Dublin (DUB) to Barcelona (BCN)
    Wed, 22Jun11 Flight FR6395 Depart DUB at 17:35 and arrive BCN at 21:15

I don't think this is on at all, what if the flight had been scheduled 30 mins earlier and i was taking a train/bus at a specific time to get to the airport to check in 45 mins before departure only to find that the flight is actually departing in 15 mins. I know that this is not the case here, but i think it's shoddy practice not to inform passengers in advance of a change in flight schedule.

Relax. They moved your flight 20 mins. There's no "What if..". The flight wasn't departing earlier.

Given that you have to check in 4 hours before the flight how could you not find out about the change?

Advertisement