Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭acequion

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There's not much to say, people are going to Spanish resorts in larger numbers every year, scaring away from resorts like Egypt, Morocco and Turkey. Couple that with the economic recovery and not much extra capacity and bang, you have your inflated prices.

Now, there's a reply. Hopefully your more direct attack will not go unnoticed by others. Boards is a community, not a place to insult people who don't reply as you wish them to, and unless you have some disabling qualities or are simply inexperienced in life, there's no justification for your above reply. I'm not going to waste verbs on how I find that.

Wow the emboldened words above certainly constitute an attack,in my opinion.

Boards is an internet forum,not a community and people will indeed reply as they wish. But when we take the trouble to post,we hope for insightful replies, not smug one liners. But unfortunately that is all some people can offer and then don't like to be challenged for same.

I posted about a legitimate concern. I have neither the time nor the inclination for some childish argument.

So I'll say goodnight.

Wheety wrote: »
    Oh God, what are you hoping to be told? Of course the price shoots up when kids are off school. It's been this way for a long long time. If you can't afford it, holiday somewhere else or at a different time of the year.

No it hasn't. If you read my post you would see that the price increase during peak season this year, 2018, is 70-80%

70-80% in one year!!! We live on an island and rely on either boats or airlines to be transferred elsewhere.

Perhaps this new trend means prices are about to "shoot up" to the unaffordable levels of the not so distant past and we'll all be taking the boat again.

Or maybe you're fine with such a regressive possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's no need for all this acequion. We aren't Ryanair, and abuse won't be taken well.

I've explained my part, so I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That’s enough, knock it off please.

There is an Aircraft & Aviation forum where a detailed discussion on seat pricing is probably better suited.

dudara

acequion wrote: »
    I was actually hoping for a more intelligent response than a one line, know it all, knee jerk like the above! :rolleyes:

Still hoping some more insightful individual will shed some light on Ryanair's very sudden astronomical price hike during peak periods, a 75-80% increase on price hikes in 2017.Why such a massive increase in such a short period?

I earn a modest income, like most Ryanair passengers and find this trend very worrying.

Still hoping for a more comprehensive response than the above!

Whatever deal was agreed with the pilots has to be paid for. Thank the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sorry if it's been asked before, but if I have Priority and 2 cabin bags purchased, can I check in the larger cabin bag before security free of charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Yes, mine shows up on the itinerary as 2 x 10kgs check-in bags for the return journey. My outgoing flight is in October, so it says nothing there, presumably because the old rules still apply then.

I only checked there now, so maybe it took a while to be updated?

cheers, yes took a while, showing the 10kg bag for me now on the itinerary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

BArra wrote: »
    cheers, yes took a while, showing the 10kg bag for me now on the itinerary

My post Nov flights also have the 10kg free check in bag added. I added a 20kg bag at time of booking, wonder would they refund me that now?

Whatever deal was agreed with the pilots has to be paid for. Thank the union.

The trend for massive price hikes during peak periods started before any deal was agreed with pilots.

My point is not about price hikes during such periods as that has always been the case, it's the massive price hikes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Looks like passengers will face more uncertainty about their travel plans, despite the pilots agreement...

Ryanair crew consider biggest strikes in company's history

Unions locked in a long-running battle with the airline said they would hold “the biggest strike action the company has ever seen” unless changes were made to their conditions. After a meeting in Rome, unions demanded that staff were given local contracts under local law rather than Irish contracts, which Ryanair uses across its European workforce.

They said the strike would take place in the last week of September and that a decision on whether to go ahead would be made by 13 September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Booked flights on August 31st for travel last week in September.

Paid for Priority on all flights, as at that stage during the booking process it stated you were only allowed being on board 1 small cabin bag, i.e a handbag, and not 2 bags like before which they would tag at the gate and you could drop off the larger bag to the baggage handlers outside the aircraft.

Ryanair seem have done a turn about on this policy and today I read:

"Ryanair also revealed that it refunded the 50,000 passengers who booked on/before August 31 but had bought priority boarding after September 1.

All these passengers have had the €8 cost of their priority boarding refunded but Ryanair will still allow them to travel with priority boarding free of charge."

I booked our flights with priority on Aug 31st for flights late Sept, Wouldn't have bought the Priority only for the changes with the bag situation, which now seems to have changed again since.

Am I entitled to a refund for all the priority fees I paid, which it now looks like I don't need?

Moyglish wrote: »
    Booked flights on August 31st for travel last week in September.

Paid for Priority on all flights, as at that stage during the booking process it stated you were only allowed being on board 1 small cabin bag, i.e a handbag, and not 2 bags like before which they would tag at the gate and you could drop off the larger bag to the baggage handlers outside the aircraft.

Ryanair seem have done a turn about on this policy and today I read:

"Ryanair also revealed that it refunded the 50,000 passengers who booked on/before August 31 but had bought priority boarding after September 1.

All these passengers have had the €8 cost of their priority boarding refunded but Ryanair will still allow them to travel with priority boarding free of charge."

I booked our flights with priority on Aug 31st for flights late Sept, Wouldn't have bought the Priority only for the changes with the bag situation, which now seems to have changed again since.

Am I entitled to a refund for all the priority fees I paid, which it now looks like I don't need?

Isn't it only applicable for flights from Nov 1st? That is when the new rules come into force and why refunds / free 10kg bag was given to people who booked on/before 31 Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Isn't it only applicable for flights from Nov 1st? That is when the new rules come into force and why refunds / free 10kg bag was given to people who booked on/before 31 Aug.

Sorry, I'm not sure, hence me asking on here as I'm not too clear :)

What confused me is this line:

"Ryanair also revealed that it refunded the 50,000 passengers who booked on/before August 31 but had bought priority boarding after September 1."

We booked on August 31st,and flying out after September 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Wheety wrote: »
    Oh God, what are you hoping to be told? Of course the price shoots up when kids are off school. It's been this way for a long long time. If you can't afford it, holiday somewhere else or at a different time of the year.

To be fair increases this year are a bit out of whack with past years. And your reply is pretty demeaning and rude.

As for the original question, the pricing this year is more realistic in terms of demand and operating cost. The flights a week either side at €35 are a case of dumping seats to gain ancillary revenue and the cost of doing so is recovered during periods of high demand. This was adequately explained (albeit with a bit of an attitude) by a previous poster explaining yield management.

Rest assured, the fares you are seeing are not a cent more than the market will bare. If you like a risk , and on the very low chance the algorithm has got it wrong, check prices at between T minus 35 and 21 days as this is when load factor / rate of sale adjustments are made. Within 3 weeks of departure prices on leisure routes will increase to capture late / essential bookers regardless of load factor

To be fair increases this year are a bit out of whack with past years. And your reply is pretty demeaning and rude.

As for the original question, the pricing this year is more realistic in terms of demand and operating cost. The flights a week either side at €35 are a case of dumping seats to gain ancillary revenue and the cost of doing so is recovered during periods of high demand. This was adequately explained (albeit with a bit of an attitude) by a previous poster explaining yield management.

Rest assured, the fares you are seeing are not a cent more than the market will bare. If you like a risk , and on the very low chance the algorithm has got it wrong, check prices at between T minus 35 and 21 days as this is when load factor / rate of sale adjustments are made. Within 3 weeks of departure prices on leisure routes will increase to capture late / essential bookers regardless of load factor

Thanks vectoryvictor for that pleasant and informative reply to my query.

What a difference it makes when people are civil to each other, even on the Internet. :D

It's now 6 weeks to midterm and fares are top. And midterm travellers to sun spots tend to be your average family and teachers. All very ordinary mortals and what ordinary family of three or four will pay €450 and much upwards each, just for the flights?? Ok, most will have already booked at more affordable prices, but by no means all. Especially when it was always ok to book just a few weeks in advance.

I do find this a very worrying trend as Ireland is an island and before Ryanair, frequent flying, or even any flying was beyond the reach of most. So are we returning to those days?

Thanks too, vectoryvictor, for that very good practical advice about when to book. However I won't go unless I get a fare closer to what I'm used to paying and at this stage I'm almost resigned to that not happening. However you said that within three weeks they wont go down. But they did in August. I managed to get an ok enough one way fare from Alicante - Shannon just a week in advance. The same fare had reached dizzy heights but came back down. Now not all routes came down as I was watching a good few, but that one did.

So I've few alerts in place and after that it's a waiting,gambling game.:eek:

"All very ordinary mortals and what ordinary family of three or four will pay €450 and much upwards each, just for the flights??"

FR are a business and will charge what they market can bear; they're not a charity who operate on the premise of thinking about families. Fares fluctuate and yield management is a science, albeit one many of us don't understand.

We fly regularly to Poland, and have no choice but to fly FR, we also only go during school holiday time, along with just about every Pole in Ireland; so flights now aren't as cheap as they were when Central Wings and EI also flew routes to Poland. Nothing any of us can do about it, except book at the price offered by FR. Or not and don't travel.

We want to go to Iceland next Easter, flights are going to cost close to €800 return for the 3 of us, we find that acceptable and are willing to pay.

Like you say, its a gamble as to what day you book as prices may decrease but that's the gamble. Pay what you are willing to pay. Others maybe willing to pay more and that's what FR operate on.

"All very ordinary mortals and what ordinary family of three or four will pay €450 and much upwards each, just for the flights??"

FR are a business and will charge what they market can bear; they're not a charity who operate on the premise of thinking about families. Fares fluctuate and yield management is a science, albeit one many of us don't understand.

We fly regularly to Poland, and have no choice but to fly FR, we also only go during school holiday time, along with just about every Pole in Ireland; so flights now aren't as cheap as they were when Central Wings and EI also flew routes to Poland. Nothing any of us can do about it, except book at the price offered by FR. Or not and don't travel.

We want to go to Iceland next Easter, flights are going to cost close to €800 return for the 3 of us, we find that acceptable and are willing to pay.

Like you say, its a gamble as to what day you book as prices may decrease but that's the gamble. Pay what you are willing to pay. Others maybe willing to pay more and that's what FR operate on.

Re the above emboldened, firstly good for you that you find escalating fares "acceptable" and can afford them. I both don't and can't. Secondly, €800 for the three of you works out at less than €300 each, so is not too bad. But again good for you that you earn enough money to pay those fares on a regular basis, many people in Ireland don't.

Yes I am fully aware that RA is a business, not a charity, any hope at all people might drop the attitude!! :rolleyes: But, I am looking at this from a family perspective as families and ordinary joes are Ryanair's core customer base, not high flyers!

Also, this is a consumer forum and as a consumer I look for value for money. The current Ryanair fares at peak times are not value for money, whereas a year ago they were. I travelled to Canada in August and paid €600 round trip Dublin-Montreal which included 20kg hold luggage plus meals on board. Much better value for money, I think, than €450 to Alicante with just hand luggage!

And before some smart alec points out the differences between long haul and short haul flights, I'm coming at this from the consumer point of view and as a consumer with a modest income, I'm worried.

Yes I am fully aware that RA is a business, not a charity, any hope at all people might drop the attitude!! But, I am looking at this from a family perspective as families and ordinary joes are Ryanair's core customer base, not high flyers!

I point you to FR's load factor and dispute your point that "ordinary joes" are being excluded. The facts are that people are paying what FR are offering, if they weren't there would be cheaper flights, particularly in times of school holidays. From a consumer point of view, FR's job is to get you where you want to go, on time, and safely. It is up to the consumer to chose to pay or not to pay. And as FR has well over 90% load factor, consumers are choosing to fly.

Yes I am fully aware that RA is a business, not a charity, any hope at all people might drop the attitude!! But, I am looking at this from a family perspective as families and ordinary joes are Ryanair's core customer base, not high flyers!

I point you to FR's load factor and dispute your point that "ordinary joes" are being excluded. The facts are that people are paying what FR are offering, if they weren't there would be cheaper flights, particularly in times of school holidays. From a consumer point of view, FR's job is to get you where you want to go, on time, and safely. It is up to the consumer to chose to pay or not to pay. And as FR has well over 90% load factor, consumers are choosing to fly.

Yes,unfortunately they are. But then the Irish have always been muppets and take whatever is dished out to them. Our cost of living is something like 7th highest in the world!!

Or are Irish people better off than they let on??

I don't know but I, for one, am choosing not to pay this time. And mid term would be the last of my travels in 2018.

I'll just have to see what 2019 brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If people refuse to pay the fares that you deem too high, fares will go down in the short term. Unfortunately, knowing Ryanair, it may also mean fewer flights to certain destinations and cancelled routes in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m due to fly with Ryanair on September 21st. What are they liable for if they go on strike?

Re the above emboldened, firstly good for you that you find escalating fares "acceptable" and can afford them. I both don't and can't. Secondly, €800 for the three of you works out at less than €300 each, so is not too bad. But again good for you that you earn enough money to pay those fares on a regular basis, many people in Ireland don't.

Yes I am fully aware that RA is a business, not a charity, any hope at all people might drop the attitude!! :rolleyes: But, I am looking at this from a family perspective as families and ordinary joes are Ryanair's core customer base, not high flyers!

Also, this is a consumer forum and as a consumer I look for value for money. The current Ryanair fares at peak times are not value for money, whereas a year ago they were. I travelled to Canada in August and paid €600 round trip Dublin-Montreal which included 20kg hold luggage plus meals on board. Much better value for money, I think, than €450 to Alicante with just hand luggage!

And before some smart alec points out the differences between long haul and short haul flights, I'm coming at this from the consumer point of view and as a consumer with a modest income, I'm worried.

Try booking holiday apartments, say in Lanzarote, May €750, July €1150, September €588. Same apartment 2 adults, 2 teenage children. All holiday peaks are more expensive. Same goes for bank holiday travel. It’s just the way things are. It’s not just Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I also fly with the family to Poland one a year during summer holidays Ryanair is only one to fly to my destination ,if I get 4 tickets for under €500 I would call that a bargain.
    Other option is fly with air Lingus for around €750 and a 12 hour train journey to my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I afraid to tell you faimlys are not really core to Ryanair's business plan never were and probably never will be.
    Have traveled many times as a family with Ryanair to holiday destinations very few families were on there plane's

Try booking holiday apartments, say in Lanzarote, May €750, July €1150, September €588. Same apartment 2 adults, 2 teenage children. All holiday peaks are more expensive. Same goes for bank holiday travel. It’s just the way things are. It’s not just Ireland.

And why not try booking that same appartment in the Alicante region? €400 per week in July/August, €250 in September. Oh yes you will find more expensive rents for the same type of appartment, just as you'll also find cheaper.

One of the good things in a market economy is choice and competition.And the smart consumer, anywhere in the world, will not necessarily pick the most expensive, resignedly shrugging his shoulders.

Re the emboldened bit above,if you actually bothered to read my posts and if you actually bothered to consider my point of view, you would see that I do realise that things increase in holiday periods. And that the point I'm making is a tad more complex!

And why not try booking that same appartment in the Alicante region? €400 per week in July/August, €250 in September. Oh yes you will find more expensive rents for the same type of appartment, just as you'll also find cheaper.

One of the good things in a market economy is choice and competition.And the smart consumer, anywhere in the world, will not necessarily pick the most expensive, resignedly shrugging his shoulders.

Re the emboldened bit above,if you actually bothered to read my posts and if you actually bothered to consider my point of view, you would see that I do realise that things increase in holiday periods. And that the point I'm making is a tad more complex!

Your point of view has been repudiated by actual facts and it makes no sense.

Your point of view has been repudiated by actual facts and it makes no sense.

Makes no sense. Really?? Actually there is no point of view anywhere which "makes no sense". But rude people are incapable of seeing this.

And you, like so many on here, are rude. All you want is to be right, not to to have an adult discussion about consumer trends.

So enjoy! I've made my points. I won't be coming back.

Makes no sense. Really?? Actually there is no point of view anywhere which "makes no sense". But rude people are incapable of seeing this.

And you, like so many on here, are rude. All you want is to be right, not to to have an adult discussion about consumer trends.

So enjoy! I've made my points. I won't be coming back.

You are easily offended, I haven't been rude. Your points are nonsensical and have been refuted. Consumer trends are the opposite of the point you are failing to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Hi all,

I recently travelled on a ryanair flight, which was delayed for almost 6 hours. I missed my car rental reservation at the arrival airport and had to check into a hotel as it was so late.

I was advised by Ryanair staff at the departure airport, online chat and arrival airport that all costs would be reimbursed, including food and drinks.

I submitted receipts for everything and was summarily told that Ryanair are not liable for any of these costs.

What can I do?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Why was the flight late? If it is an allowable reason, you should be claiming your EU261 compensation from Ryanair

Advertisement