Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭deezell

Will you be able to check it in before security free of charge? Or no?

Put simply, Ryanair are now charging for standard small cabin bag, whether you check it in or carry it on. That is indeed a Unique Selling Point. No doubt they'll charge for an overcoat or your in-airport purchases next. Maybe the sandwich you bought in Boots. The leopard doesn't change his spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Poacher coats will become very popular with frequent flyers.

Poacher coats will become very popular with frequent flyers.

Haha, I've this image of these passengers looking like the Michelin Man queuing up to board. Didn't someone market a Ryanair buster coat a while back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Honestly we’ll end up flying with someone else considering it adds between €24-40 to the cost of the flights for us that are already bloody uncomfortable and on our recent flights, generally late leaving

Honestly we’ll end up flying with someone else considering it adds between €24-40 to the cost of the flights for us that are already bloody uncomfortable and on our recent flights, generally late leaving

Schipol is my only moderately frequent destination, and on return, the joy of the Aer Lingus Pier (nice bar stool. Cold beer,), versus the Hell of the Ryanair shed makes it worth twice the fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

deezell wrote: »
    Schipol is my only moderately frequent destination, and on return, the joy of the Aer Lingus Pier (nice bar stool. Cold beer,), versus the Hell of the Ryanair shed makes it worth twice the fare.

Actually I’d forgotten that hell. I’ll gladly pay extra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Indeed. Especially if you're taking multiple flights, like me in November, Cork - Stansted, Stansted - Lviv, Kiev - Stansted, Stansted - Cork...

Will be travelling with a family member so one of us will need to buy priority boarding and we can share a 10kg bag...

Very disappointing and potentially stupid move from Ryanair... Considering all of the trouble they've had this year so far, this won't do them any favours.

'Priority' is also pointless if 30% of their customers purchase it anyway..... And to say it won't be adding to their profits is a joke. That was the one benefit of Ryanair (you could go away for a week or longer with the 10kg carry on bag) and they've just cut it. Jokers.

Look at this corporate news release from them:

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/ -

'' New Bag Policy From November Will Cut Check Bag Fees & Reduce Boarding Delays'' - the' cut checked bag fee' is the new 10 euro fee for a 10kg bag.. Which was free up to yesterday!

it reads like something from Kim Jong-Un's government! Complete BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

'Priority' is also pointless if 30% of their customers purchase it anyway....

I make it closer to 60%.

They will have worked out the number of overhead bags that fit comfortably in the overhead bins, probably about 110- 120. So that will be the target.

As for speeding up boarding ......maybe , maybe not. On my last 2 flights they had already tagged the bags for the hold long before the queue formed. And then you (not them) had to take your bag out to the steps of the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This was always going to happen, the idea of tagging peoples bags at the gate and then putting them in the hold was always going to delay the turnaround. If Ryanair had simply policed the second bag rule from the off, they would not have needed to change to ensure the bins were available. They then saw a way of increasing the fares by stealth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

joeysoap wrote: »
    I make it closer to 60%.

They will have worked out the number of overhead bags that fit comfortably in the overhead bins, probably about 110- 120. So that will be the target.

As for speeding up boarding ......maybe , maybe not. On my last 2 flights they had already tagged the bags for the hold long before the queue formed. And then you (not them) had to take your bag out to the steps of the aircraft.

For the older Ryanair aircraft it’s between 80-90 bags tgat fit into the overhead, on the newer aircraft it’s between 70-80. Only up to 90 (around 47%) people can buy priority boarding for any flight but it’s never usually that high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

billie1b wrote: »
    For the older Ryanair aircraft it’s between 80-90 bags tgat fit into the overhead, on the newer aircraft it’s between 70-80. Only up to 90 (around 47%) people can buy priority boarding for any flight but it’s never usually that high

The newer aircraft should have *bigger* bins, not smaller?

L1011 wrote: »

No, unfortunately the new push up bins don’t hold as many bags due to their shape and dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Bad form by Ryanair, and will certainly narrow the price differential for the total flight cost - I can see them losing a good number of customers with this charge,

Thanks to those who posted last night - was able to add priority to my December booking for €28 (2 people x 2 legs @ €7), but it leaves a bad taste, and I'll be factoring in in when booking flights from now on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    billie1b wrote: »

Common misconception, the fact each bin is individual is the issue, where before it was more or less a rack with doors on it, you could squeeze in a couple more bags

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've only been on other airlines with Sky Interior and those bins were roughly the same length door to door as before but could definitely take more roller bags; if put in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭homenotaway

You can cancel and get a full refund if you'd prefer to fly another airline. Shocked they are offering that option tbh.

Agree its crap to have things changed.

Just wondering where does it mention about getting a full refund please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I see it as an advantage once they keep the bag fee under a tenner.

It will allow for larger bottles of liquids to be brought with you without paying the extortionate 15kg/20kg bag price and less hassle of having to lug the bag all over the airport.

I'd mostly choose this over priority boarding.

Simply see it as up to an extra tenner per leg either for putting the bag in the hold or buying priority boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

You can cancel and get a full refund if you'd prefer to fly another airline. Shocked they are offering that option tbh.

Agree its crap to have things changed.

It's the law, if you change the terms and conditions after entering into a contract with another party you have to offer them the option of backing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Just wondering where does it mention about getting a full refund please?

Link below. Some of the faq's are funny. It's almost like they know what we all think of them...

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/new-bag-policy-from-november-will-cut-check-bag-fees-reduce-boarding-delays/

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I have a return flight booked for November (first leg is in October) for months now. I don't want Priority boarding and don't want to take my 10kg case on board either. I always leave it to be tagged for the hold.

In the interests of fairness (!), I think those of us who've already booked should be able to pay the newly designated 7 euro fee (as of today) and check in our bags on the day rather than drag them on board with spurious priority advantages.

I know we can pay 10 euro for checking them in and it's hardly a huge amount at 3 euro extra per bag each way, but it's the principle. We're being penalised for booking early. If I'd known about this policy when I booked, I'd have availed of the opportunity to pay the money at booking, but I can't now and have to pay the higher rate.

• Advertisement

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have a return flight booked for November (first leg is in October) for months now. I don't want Priority boarding and don't want to take my 10kg case on board either. I always leave it to be tagged for the hold.

In the interests of fairness (!), I think those of us who've already booked should be able to pay the newly designated 7 euro fee (as of today) and check in our bags on the day rather than drag them on board with spurious priority advantages.

I know we can pay 10 euro for checking them in and it's hardly a huge amount at 3 euro extra per bag each way, but it's the principle. We're being penalised for booking early. If I'd known about this policy when I booked, I'd have availed of the opportunity to pay the money at booking, but I can't now and have to pay the higher rate.

And thats €10 if you pay it at check in, if people chance their arm and bring them through security to the gate it’ll be €25 there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I could see this coming a long time ago, when Ryanair interducd three second light bag so many people took advantage of it ,it was a matter of time when Ryanair would interducd a charge for the 10 kg bag.
    Plus I believe Ryanair always wanted all luggage in the hold as this would give a quicker turn around of the plane.putting a yellow tag on the 10 kg bag so it would be put in the hold was /is also abused the amount of people that just tear them off is unbelievable.
    If customers stuck to Ryanair's rules it is possible it would not have been introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Not at all surprised by the new policy. Flew Italy - Uk and Uk to Dublin in July and thought to myself that it must be costing Ryanair to have all those bags loaded up from the gate and also unloaded at the other end. Meanwhile there was loads of empty space in the bins on the plane.

At the end of the day, Ryanair set their prices to fill up the planes, and I doubt very much that the average fare (inclusive of bag) will change, which means that you'll probably see lower headline fares to compensate for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I can't see the headline fare dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Not at all surprised by the new policy. Flew Italy - Uk and Uk to Dublin in July and thought to myself that it must be costing Ryanair to have all those bags loaded up from the gate and also unloaded at the other end. Meanwhile there was loads of empty space in the bins on the plane.

At the end of the day, Ryanair set their prices to fill up the planes, and I doubt very much that the average fare (inclusive of bag) will change, which means that you'll probably see lower headline fares to compensate for this.

We will in our hole .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Ryanair - Low Fares Made Complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'm just wondering where Ryanair will go from here,

Possibly the next move will be Priority won't automatically get to bring their bags on board and must go into the hold
    Then Priority won't won't be allowed a bag and must pay for a 10kg bag.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I could see this coming a long time ago, when Ryanair interducd three second light bag so many people took advantage of it ,it was a matter of time when Ryanair would interducd a charge for the 10 kg bag.
    Plus I believe Ryanair always wanted all luggage in the hold as this would give a quicker turn around of the plane.putting a yellow tag on the 10 kg bag so it would be put in the hold was /is also abused the amount of people that just tear them off is unbelievable.
    If customers stuck to Ryanair's rules it is possible it would not have been introduced

So this fluffy caring phase of ryanair, where a person no longer had to stuff their handbag/laptop into their cabin bag, was just a ploy to create the obvious outcome, over use of the cabin space mixed with the rush to swap seats, making it necessary for ryanair to bring in their new policy purely for customer convenience of course. Clever. If they'd just stayed mean and nasty and announced they were charging for cabin bags, I don't think people would have been surprised as it was what we had come to expect of them. Very soon now we'll have a post from someone who has had their own food confiscated, wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The priority payment to ensure you can bring your bag on board worked fine ex Dublin, but on the return leg from Malaga no one seemed to care whether you had a priority ticket or not. A couple in the ordinary Q beside us got their bags on board no bother, and they seemed quite sure there would be no problem either!

Might be the operators at that airport. Don't know if it has changed, that was end of May this year.

• Advertisement

Well, the new Unionised Pilots deal has to be paid for somehow. Thanks guys.

Advertisement