Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The priority payment to ensure you can bring your bag on board worked fine ex Dublin, but on the return leg from Malaga no one seemed to care whether you had a priority ticket or not. A couple in the ordinary Q beside us got their bags on board no bother, and they seemed quite sure there would be no problem either!

Might be the operators at that airport. Don't know if it has changed, that was end of May this year.

Same at Faro. Seen 4/5 bags between two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Dymo wrote: »
    I'm just wondering where Ryanair will go from here,

Possibly the next move will be Priority won't automatically get to bring their bags on board and must go into the hold
    Then Priority won't won't be allowed a bag and must pay for a 10kg bag.

Bringing your own seat? The cardboard type they had for the pope visit would suffice. Light in weight too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I received an email from Ryanair today to say a morning flight I was booked on to Poland has been put back by 12 hours. I was due to take another Ryanair flight from there but won't make this now.

I've taken the refund on the flight to Poland and booked a different route to my final destination the following day. I know Ryanair are an A to B carrier and normally I'd just have to take the hit on my second flight but this paragraph in the email has me wondering:

"If you have a connecting flight and it has been affected by this schedule change, you will shortly receive an email advising you of how to proceed. However, if you would like to apply for a full or partial refund of this flight reservation please follow the instructions below."

Any chance of a refund on the onward flight? I've got travel insurance but flight was only about €40 so not worth claiming but at the same time I'd rather have it in my pocket rather than Ryanair's considering they caused the issue.

Just confused by that paragraph. Perhaps a reference to the deal they have with connections in Spain to US?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Collie D wrote: »
    I received an email from Ryanair today to say a morning flight I was booked on to Poland has been put back by 12 hours. I was due to take another Ryanair flight from there but won't make this now.

I've taken the refund on the flight to Poland and booked a different route to my final destination the following day. I know Ryanair are an A to B carrier and normally I'd just have to take the hit on my second flight but this paragraph in the email has me wondering:

"If you have a connecting flight and it has been affected by this schedule change, you will shortly receive an email advising you of how to proceed. However, if you would like to apply for a full or partial refund of this flight reservation please follow the instructions below."

Any chance of a refund on the onward flight? I've got travel insurance but flight was only about €40 so not worth claiming but at the same time I'd rather have it in my pocket rather than Ryanair's considering they caused the issue.

Just confused by that paragraph. Perhaps a reference to the deal they have with connections in Spain to US?

This only applies for bookings which Ryanair offer connections. They offer a few connections (from one ryanair flight to another) through Italy IIRC, but they don't yet offer connections with Air Europa (they only sell their direct flights).

Thanks. Wasn't aware they did connections so the paragraph had me wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Collie D wrote: »
    Thanks. Wasn't aware they did connections so the paragraph had me wondering.

I'd still give it a bash. I had flights booked as two separate one way's rather than a return, the outbound was cancelled and the return operated normally. They still refunded me for both

When making your claim the key is to word it like it is a normal request rather than "ask".

I.e "Following the change and refund to reservation 123456 , I wish to apply for a refund of reservation 234567 due to my inability to take this flight resulting from your schedule change"

If you can't convince them... Confuse them...

Thanks for the replies and tips/info.

I got another email from them last night regarding the same flight giving me the option to cancel (I've already requested a refund due to schedule change anyway) due to their change in baggage policy.

Presumably this appplies to all flights booked from November onwards booked before they announced the new policy so looks like I will be getting money back for both outbound flights. And the new ones I booked work out cheaper and at better times albeit a day later than originally planned.

So a result for me as I was toying with the idea of going a day later and taking the hit on the original flights anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

Couldn't find the answer on Ryanair website.
    We are family of 4 flying with Ryanair. All tickets booked in one go.
    Ryanair changed their baggage policy. It means I need to pay now extra for check-in baggage or take priority.
    I think it would be enough to have priority for two of us. Have two 10kg would be okay. But I cant find how i can do it.
    Is it possible Or I don't have choice and have to book priority for all 4 of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Check in the two 10 kg bags?

Gelena wrote: »
    Couldn't find the answer on Ryanair website.
    We are family of 4 flying with Ryanair. All tickets booked in one go.
    Ryanair changed their baggage policy. It means I need to pay now extra for check-in baggage or take priority.
    I think it would be enough to have priority for two of us. Have two 10kg would be okay. But I cant find how i can do it.
    Is it possible Or I don't have choice and have to book priority for all 4 of us?

Just pay for the 2 bags when checking in. Just remember that the bags have to go to the bag drop desk one not at the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

Take on board two 10kg bags. Paying for priority boarding but only for two people. The problem is if I booked it all tickets at once as a family/group its not allowed to pay extra for priority just for two of us.
    After researching: I think it is cheaper to pay check-in luggage. But I'm already purchased tickets for November before new rules came out. If I will do online check-in and add extra luggage would it be 10 euro for item or it will be more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Just pay for the 2 bags when checking in. Just remember that the bags have to go to the bag drop desk one not at the gate.

I wonder does that mean liquids can go into them if bags are not being brought through security checks? Like bringing a nice few bottles of wine home from hols? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

holly8 wrote: »
    I wonder does that mean liquids can go into them if bags are not being brought through security checks? Like bringing a nice few bottles of wine home from hols? TIA

Yes, of course. Same checked bag as any checked bag. Once it's done before security.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭deezell

holly8 wrote: »

Yes but beware 10kg limit. Two bottles of wine weight about 2Kg. If your bag is already 10kg, that's €22/£22 excess, €11 per bottle, more than wine is worth unless you bought premium. Remarkably I've seen people pony up €50 plus for wine induced overweight baggage that probably cost €3 a bottle. Just leave it behind.

deezell wrote: »
    Yes but beware 10kg limit. Two bottles of wine weight about 2Kg. If your bag is already 10kg, that's €22/£22 excess, €11 per bottle, more than wine is worth unless you bought premium. Remarkably I've seen people pony up €50 plus for wine induced overweight baggage that probably cost €3 a bottle. Just leave it behind.

thx ... I checked, 1.25kg/bottle average ... yes, I'd buy 2 nice bottles and I pack light :0

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Flight booked for tomorrow, if I dont pay for priority what bag size can I bring onto plane?
    I have one of those bags that met the old restrictions for size are they still allowed on or will it automatically be sent to the hold?
    I dont care if its sent to the hold just don't wanna be caught to pay extra at the airport.
    Should I be paying the 7 euro on a priority pass when I check in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

yabadabado wrote: »
    Flight booked for tomorrow, if I dont pay for priority what bag size can I bring onto plane?
    I have one of those bags that met the old restrictions for size are they still allowed on or will it automatically be sent to the hold?
    I dont care if its sent to the hold just don't wanna be caught to pay extra at the airport.
    Should I be paying the 7 euro on a priority pass when I check in ?

These are the current rules:
    Only priority boarding passengers will be permitted to take one small bag (35 x 20 x 20cm), plus a larger cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20cm) with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg into the cabin.
    Any passengers with two bags and who do not have priority boarding will have their larger cabin bag taken at the boarding gate and it will be placed into the hold for free.

So you can take the smaller bag onboard and the bigger bag will go into the hold.
    If you don't mind collecting your bigger bag at the carousel when you arrive there is no need to pay for priority.

NB: These rules are only valid up to November, then new rules will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gelena wrote: »
    Take on board two 10kg bags. Paying for priority boarding but only for two people. The problem is if I booked it all tickets at once as a family/group its not allowed to pay extra for priority just for two of us.
    After researching: I think it is cheaper to pay check-in luggage. But I'm already purchased tickets for November before new rules came out. If I will do online check-in and add extra luggage would it be 10 euro for item or it will be more expensive?

I could get priority for one person as only need one 10kg case.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Just got an email from Ryanair re my November flight, booked months ago before the new arrangements:

As you booked (flight number) prior to the announcement of our new Cabin Bag Policy, we've added a 10kg Check-in Bag for each passenger on your flight booking from Malaga - Belfast International Airport, free of charge. This will be visible in the "view itinerary" section in your myRyanair account and on your Boarding Pass.

This 10kg bag must be dropped off at the check-in desk and will be available for collection at the baggage carousel in your arrival airport.

Happy Days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Just got an email from Ryanair re my November flight, booked months ago before the new arrangements:

As you booked (flight number) prior to the announcement of our new Cabin Bag Policy, we've added a 10kg Check-in Bag for each passenger on your flight booking from Malaga - Belfast International Airport, free of charge. This will be visible in the "view itinerary" section in your myRyanair account and on your Boarding Pass.

This 10kg bag must be dropped off at the check-in desk and will be available for collection at the baggage carousel in your arrival airport.

Happy Days :D

I am in the same boat, it says to check view itinerary to see the "free" 10kg checked bag, but when I check mine, it only shows the small bag on it with no sign of this gratis 10kg?

What about you?

I got a free 10kg bag check in too...i wonder is that for both legs of the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Have people noticed the astronomical hike in fares during school holiday and peak periods?

I first noticed this in August this year. Absolutely lunatic one way fares on routes like Dublin-Alicante or Shannon-Alicante. By lunatic, I mean about €350 for a basic one way fare, plus any extras.

Fast forward to the November mid term break when schools will be closed and it's the same. Fares are up to 6 times more than a week before or after ie about €35 one way on 20th Oct, €198 for the same fare on 27th.

Now this is a new development. I know this as I regularly travel to Alicante, have done for 15 years and only on school holiday periods and it's always been affordable. Only last year I would have done that trip at the plus fare for about €280 return. Pretty much what I've always paid. And that would be booking about 6 weeks in advance. This year the same trip is currently looking like about €460, about 75% more. So unless it comes down, I'm not going.No way will I pay that kind of money!!

Now presumably these fare hikes are on many other popular routes.What do people think about this? Are there ordinary mortals out there crazy enough to pay that much for a Ryanair experience? And ok of course you'll find some people who will. But enough to fill whole planes??

Hopefully not. Hopefully many people like myself will opt not to travel and stay home. Then fares might return to something even a tiny bit more like their slogan of "low fares made simple." At the moment that is a big joke.

There's no airline that doesn't do this, it's called yield management.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There's no airline that doesn't do this, it's called yield management.

I was actually hoping for a more intelligent response than a one line, know it all, knee jerk like the above! :rolleyes:

Still hoping some more insightful individual will shed some light on Ryanair's very sudden astronomical price hike during peak periods, a 75-80% increase on price hikes in 2017.Why such a massive increase in such a short period?

I earn a modest income, like most Ryanair passengers and find this trend very worrying.

Still hoping for a more comprehensive response than the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

BArra wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, it says to check view itinerary to see the "free" 10kg checked bag, but when I check mine, it only shows the small bag on it with no sign of this gratis 10kg?

What about you?

Yes, mine shows up on the itinerary as 2 x 10kgs check-in bags for the return journey. My outgoing flight is in October, so it says nothing there, presumably because the old rules still apply then.

I only checked there now, so maybe it took a while to be updated?

acequion wrote: »
    I was actually hoping for a more intelligent response than a one line, know it all, knee jerk like the above! :rolleyes:

Still hoping some more insightful individual

Still hoping for a more comprehensive response than the above!

Such a passive aggressive response won't yield a good reply you know! I find it interesting that all bar one of your paragraphs were insanely passive aggressive.

We're not customer service bots on here! Don't expect a comprehensive apology regarding the situation.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Such a passive aggressive response won't yield a good reply you know! I find it interesting that all bar one of your paragraphs were insanely passive aggressive.

We're not customer service bots on here! Don't expect a comprehensive apology regarding the situation.

"We" So do you personally represent all posters who reply on this thread?

And is this a business interests thread or one where all consumers are free to seek opinions? Because I believed it was the latter, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

And being aware of you from other threads, I find you a very openly aggressive poster, see emboldened above. You quite clearly spend a lot of time here attacking posters who post legitimate questions and concerns.

I am perhaps totally wasting my time posting my concerns here, but am still hoping some fair minded individual might reply.

acequion wrote: »
    "We" So do you personally represent all posters who reply on this thread?

And is this a business interests thread or one where all consumers are free to seek opinions? Because I believed it was the latter, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

And being aware of you from other threads, I find you a very openly aggressive poster, see emboldened above. You quite clearly spend a lot of time here attacking posters who post legitimate questions and concerns.

I am perhaps totally wasting my time posting my concerns here, but am still hoping some fair minded individual might reply.

There's not much to say, people are going to Spanish resorts in larger numbers every year, scaring away from resorts like Egypt, Morocco and Turkey. Couple that with the economic recovery and not much extra capacity and bang, you have your inflated prices.

Now, there's a reply. Hopefully your more direct attack will not go unnoticed by others. Boards is a community, not a place to insult people who don't reply as you wish them to, and unless you have some disabling qualities or are simply inexperienced in life, there's no justification for your above reply. I'm not going to waste verbs on how I find that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Oh God, what are you hoping to be told? Of course the price shoots up when kids are off school. It's been this way for a long long time. If you can't afford it, holiday somewhere else or at a different time of the year.

Advertisement