Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That normally happens if the ones are already sold out that are cheap.

By the way a few weeks ago Ryanair changed their check-in seat allocation algorithm.

Unfortunately it means that the old trick which was almost certain to get three seats on their own by booking a certain seat no longer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

devnull wrote: »
    That normally happens if the ones are already sold out that are cheap.

By the way a few weeks ago Ryanair changed their check-in seat allocation algorithm.

Unfortunately it means that the old trick which was almost certain to get three seats on their own by booking a certain seat no longer works.

Is it still the same for getting front row seating i.e. Leave it as late as possible before checking in? So leave it as late as possible to check in?

I have a couple of flights coming up, so I 'phantom' booked a flight for tomorrow, selected seats to purchase, and the only seats left were up at the front of the plane, all the 'cheapies' were full. So I know that if I booked that flight in reality that I would automatically allocated those seats when checking in.

I checked in at 11pm for an 8am flight, got seat in row 2.
    Checked in at 10am for a 5.30pm flight, got row 17 (emergency exit seats)
    So I'll always check in as late as possible

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

joeysoap wrote: »
    Is it still the same for getting front row seating i.e. Leave it as late as possible before checking in? So leave it as late as possible to check in?

I have a couple of flights coming up, so I 'phantom' booked a flight for tomorrow, selected seats to purchase, and the only seats left were up at the front of the plane, all the 'cheapies' were full. So I know that if I booked that flight in reality that I would automatically allocated those seats when checking in.

That is only fairly recently it's been like that, there is now a tendency for premium seats and the first few rows to be held back rather than being assigned automatically, I haven't worked out the exact criteria used to assign seats that are not specifically chosen at the moment but it certainly has changed.

The old trick involved booking seat 32C because 32C, 32B, 32A were the last three seats to be selected by the automatic seat selection system. If you were traveling on your own you would then 9/10 get three seats to yourself.

They are now bumped up the priority for the automatic seat selector system, so the emergency seats and the first few rows now get assigned after them rather than before, I presume to make more revenue.

devnull wrote: »

The old trick involved booking seat 32C because 32C, 32B, 32A were the last three seats to be selected by the automatic seat selection system. If you were traveling on your own you would then 9/10 get three seats to yourself.

I left it fairly late last December on to check in on return to Dublin. I got 33A. Normally I would say sh*te seat, but as it transpired I was beside a smashing young Spanish couple, and had a lovely flight. As far as I can recall there was empty seats in row 32, so I'd say your right about that row.

• Advertisement

I clearly have toooooo much time on my hands (plus it's pretty cold in the garden)

Rows 24 to 28 are the reduced seats, row 23 and 29 are not included in the 50% off seat sale. I wasn't going to buy anyway but to split rows 18 to 33 into 3 different bands ..........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it possible to check in for free on the app?

I've just checked in for my 3rd trip back to Dublin in the last 6 weeks. I received the email that 4 day free check-in was open. I went to the app, followed the steps, no other option (as far as I could see) other than having to pay to choose seats.

I closed the app, browsed to the site on my phone, selected the free option, 2 seats together in row 33 (baby changing right behind, best seats on the plane in my very newly formed opinion!).

So what am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

theteal wrote: »
    Is it possible to check in for free on the app?

I've just checked in for my 3rd trip back to Dublin in the last 6 weeks. I received the email that 4 day free check-in was open. I went to the app, followed the steps, no other option (as far as I could see) other than having to pay to choose seats.

I closed the app, browsed to the site on my phone, selected the free option, 2 seats together in row 33 (baby changing right behind, best seats on the plane in my very newly formed opinion!).

So what am I doing wrong?

Yes I always check in the app. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. Have you the latest app update?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I most likely don't have the latest app update as of yesterday but I did when tested 6 or so weeks ago.

I'm trying to retrace my footsteps as I must have used the app to check-in for return leg last week. It wasn't bang on the 4 day opening time though, like it was the 2 times I've noted it not working (got row 33 both times too - maybe the app is a little slow to update when check-in opens????)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

There should be a 'pop up' box where you can untick their 'guaranteed' rate. I unticked it last week but left the site to check the rate on XE, and missed that it unticked when I left the site, flight was as cheap as chips though and while I got a poor rate it was on a very small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They've hidden the checkbox option to not apply the DCC rate. You have to click on an option like "learn more about our guaranteed rate' or something like that and from there you can unselect it and get your bank's standard rate.

and if you leave the page like I did it reverts back to their rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ryanair have moved to an Aer-Lingus type baggage checkin in Dublin, in the last 7 days ; rather than leave your bag straight onto the scales they have now put the scales into the middle of the checkin area

No reason given as to the change , it adds extra manual labour for no particular reason ( lug your bag from one place to another )

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Am I right in thinking that there's no way around paying a change fee if you've made a mistake booking a flight? I saw that there's a 24hr grace period but I'm at 48hrs & have only just realised. Spoke to them on the phone but they just quoted a price that was more than the flight :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Eire girl wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that there's no way around paying a change fee if you've made a mistake booking a flight? I saw that there's a 24hr grace period but I'm at 48hrs & have only just realised. Spoke to them on the phone but they just quoted a price that was more than the flight :-(

They will change names (if spelt incorrect, not wholesale name change) FOC within 24 hours...

And just lose the original flights? There's no refunds or anything at this stage is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Eire girl wrote: »
    And just lose the original flights? There's no refunds or anything at this stage is there?

There are no refunds at any stage with ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the fare exceeds the statutory charges you can get those back, less an admin fee. Promotional Ryanair tickets are sold at a loss, though (expecting to get it back from bag charges, onboard sales, insurance/car hire/hotel commission, etc, etc) so there's basically nothing to recoup.

Realistically it needs to be a high fare and likely involve the UK with their insane rate of travel taxes to get anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

There are no refunds at any stage with ryanair.

Technically, but i did get a refund of them last year for priority boarding, when Katowice airport messed it up and didn't separate pax. I also got free baggage from them for a trip once when the toilet on an aircraft was leaking and had water running around row 33....

Technically, but i did get a refund of them last year for priority boarding, when Katowice airport messed it up and didn't separate pax. I also got free baggage from them for a trip once when the toilet on an aircraft was leaking and had water running around row 33....

I will clarify then. There are no refunds on the cost of flights from Ryanair.

Ah right, thanks for the replies. Will just have to live & learn I guess :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

I will clarify then. There are no refunds on the cost of flights from Ryanair.

Not correct. Last year, I got full refund on foot of a doctor's letter to say I had been unfit to travel. My Travel Ins Co wouldn't even deliver on it. But I shamed them ( Travel Co. ) into a full annual refund.

mattser wrote: »
    Not correct. Last year, I got full refund on foot of a doctor's letter to say I had been unfit to travel. My Travel Ins Co wouldn't even deliver on it. But I shamed them ( Travel Co. ) into a full annual refund.

you shamed the travel company or you shamed ryanair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Looking at flights to Berlin in July and they are around €200. Seems expensive for Berlin, will there be a price drop do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Looking at flights to Berlin in July and they are around €200. Seems expensive for Berlin, will there be a price drop do you think?
    ive been tracking prices for Dublin-Memmingen in the late summer for dates that suit me and they are mostly over 200 and every so often it dips down to 170 or so.

also, have you actually checked other airlines ? (i.e. use skyscanner, rather than believe the hype that Ryanair is always the cheapest option ! )
    For the weekend of the 7-10 July, aer lingus has flights for €170 whereas the cheapest ryanair option is €198. If youre flexible on dates you'll get it cheaper again.

Advertisement