Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I never thought id say this but Ryanair really have improved no end to the disaster they used to be,as a regular flyer the last 10+ years with them i was their biggest critic as ive seen it all with them, they are by no means perfect and still exaggerate big time about flight times, but in general a serious improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Diarmad

So I was due to travel back from Malaga to Dublin on Sunday 2nd October. When I went to check in - unlike Aer Lingus online check in Ryanair had imposed a restriction preventing me from checking in online.

We arrived at the airport, placed our bags on the belt and when asked for our boarding passes I showed the screenshot which indicated that this had been prevented by their system.

The agent then wanted €45 per person to do a manual check in. He delayed and delay asked us to take our bags off the belt, to go to the Ryanair sales office pay €225 (for 5 passengers) and bring back the receipt.

We had to take our bags off the belt and then when I ran to the sales office the woman there informed me that check in was now closed and we had to pay €500 for the next flight 7 hours later.

Ryanair Customer Service in Dublin said it was terrible and shouldn't have happened and asked me to fill in a complaint form. They have since come back saying that we should have called the call centre and have offered no refund.

There was absolutely no way to avoid manual check in for travelling because my two sons have autism. It's an absolute disgrace that Ryanair are imposing extra charges and causing flights to be missed because children have a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Diarmad wrote: »
    ........ Ryanair had imposed a restriction preventing me from checking in online.......

What restriction did they impose

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

It says in the screen shot that a Customer Service agent will need to do the check in for you - did you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

It states clearly-

"Please contact our call centre".

If you had, they would have checked you in for free.

Not sure your complaint has any validity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not sure how this "scam" necessarily has anything to do "parents travelling with disabled children" either.

That part is just a coincidence.

I suspect there's more to this than is being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Attachment removed as it showed your email address.

dudara

gctest50 wrote: »
    What restriction did they impose

Online checkin wasn't allowed - that was the restriction. It was placed because we needed special assistance for the boys.

cdeb wrote: »
    Not sure how this "scam" necessarily has anything to do "parents travelling with disabled children" either.

That part is just a coincidence.

I suspect there's more to this than is being told.

It is a scam because it is impossible to avoid the restriction if your children need special assistance. The restriction requires manual check in and manual check in costs €45 per person.

You can't paint it anyway you like but it's a scam when hidden charges are unavoidable.

Allinall wrote: »
    It states clearly-

"Please contact our call centre".

If you had, they would have checked you in for free.

Not sure your complaint has any validity.

You've just made that up. It says nowhere that the call centre will check you in for free. It gives no number for a call centre and when we finally tracked it down we were told that we'd need to be checked in at the airport.

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote: »
    It says in the screen shot that a Customer Service agent will need to do the check in for you - did you call them?

Yes. It gives no number for a call centre but when we finally tracked it down (and it isn't easy) we were told that we'd need to be checked in at the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Diarmad wrote:
    Yes. It gives no number for a call centre but when we finally tracked it down (and it isn't easy) we were told that we'd need to be checked in at the airport

Was that before or after the fact?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It gives no number for a call centre but when we finally tracked it down (and it isn't easy)
    It takes two seconds to find details of the call centre with google.

The screenshot you put up (since deleted) indicated the reason was one item of restricted baggage. If so, that's a different issue.

I imagine you're hardly the first person to travel with Ryanair in these circumstances, and if every such person had to pay E45/person, we'd have heard about it by now. I still suspect there's something a bit amiss in your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Yes. It gives no number for a call centre .....

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/contact-us/Contacting-customer-service/special-assistance-numbers

Your post doesn't make it look like you are as organized / responsible as you should be

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've flown Ryanair with my son, who has autism. No extra charges . They were all quite helpful actually. Sounds like individual circumstances issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds like you arrived at the airport far too late even without the special assistance requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I started typing Ryanair Custom......and the number was on the screen by the time i got to the m in customer. Sounds like you should have been more prepared to me, surely you would have known when booking what youre requirements were if you needed extra assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I've traveled with Ryanair and children with Autism, and they've been fine. Very helpful in fact (Dublin Airport). I find it unusual you had this experience. Disappointed nevertheless that Ryanair and the airport staff could not have been more pragmatic and sensible. Yes it looks like you contributed to this, but it's not a nice experience to have that level of anxiety put on children on the spectrum.

Everyone could have done better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sure, you've had a bad experience. For whatever reason you neglected to contact ryanair's customer service, instead attempting to resolve the issue at check-in, despite arriving too late. But to use your kids and imply there is some sort of discrimination, well that's just nasty and dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Could you explain what happened? Claiming discrimination is a big deal and from what I can see it seems more that you didn't give yourself enough time and didn't do what you needed to do. Other people seem to manage.

Is there more to this?

• Advertisement

I travelled with Ryanair & one autistic boy, 2 adults & 3 kids altogether.
    We called the number, they checked us on for no extra cost, and also made sure we were all seated together at no extra cost.
    Allowed us to board last also.
    Very helpful.
    You just didn't ring the number OP, it's your own fault I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

Hi can anybody advise ,,my sister just bookeed and paid 2 fligts for my husband and i to visit her in london,and accidentaly spelled 2 letters wrong way round ,,what can i do ,,it says 110 pounds for name change which is mre than the flights cost .
    please is there a away round this as dont want have problem at airport and no way can afford the name change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hi can anybody advise ,,my sister just bookeed and paid 2 fligts for my husband and i to visit her in london,and accidentaly spelled 2 letters wrong way round ,,what can i do ,,it says 110 pounds for name change which is mre than the flights cost .
    please is there a away round this as dont want have problem at airport and no way can afford the name change

Get on to live chat. They will change it for free if you contact within 24 hours - most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

iv been trying but only getting a message box ,,sent them message so hope they will sort it ,,says there is 24 hour grace period for mistakes ,so iv got till 5pm tommorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ryanair threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well that was confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

cdeb wrote: »
    It takes two seconds to find details of the call centre with google.

The screenshot you put up (since deleted) indicated the reason was one item of restricted baggage. If so, that's a different issue.

I imagine you're hardly the first person to travel with Ryanair in these circumstances, and if every such person had to pay E45/person, we'd have heard about it by now. I still suspect there's something a bit amiss in your story.

It mentioned nothing about baggage. Perhaps you had difficulty reading it? We were told that the restriction was imposed because we told them that the children have autism and that we needed support getting to the aircraft. No big deal and the airline doesn't even provide this service.

MarkR wrote: »
    I've flown Ryanair with my son, who has autism. No extra charges . They were all quite helpful actually. Sounds like individual circumstances issue.

I do think that it depends where you are flying from and also if you indicated if you needed assistance or not. The woman on Ryanair customer service said that it would never happen in Dublin and the charge would just be waived (for obvious reasons). The reason why this happened was because a third party service provider was acting on Ryanair's behalf...

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I travelled with Ryanair & one autistic boy, 2 adults & 3 kids altogether.
    We called the number, they checked us on for no extra cost, and also made sure we were all seated together at no extra cost.
    Allowed us to board last also.
    Very helpful.
    You just didn't ring the number OP, it's your own fault I'm afraid.

Well done you. Our experience was not so good.

Advertisement