Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Diarmad

Out of curiosity, On the outward journey, were you able to check in online?

Yes there was no problem with the outbound flight.

1) We checked in online
    2) therefore there was no manual checkin charge
    3) the airline organised assistance for us
    4) we were all put sitting together at no extra cost and
    5) we flew out with Aer Lingus!

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be in the media as said. There are loads of online articles about ryanair and wheelchair levies & charges, and those costs were far less than what the OP is suggesting he is forced to pay.

The media would lap this up, the OP might well be able to sell the story, except that it's quite obviously a non-story.

It happened just over a week ago and Ryanair refused to give the refund a few days ago. No interest in selling the story, but I will take it to the media.

Diarmad wrote: »
    Yes there was no problem with the outbound flight.

1) We checked in online
    2) therefore there was no manual checkin charge
    3) the airline organised assistance for us
    4) we were all put sitting together at no extra cost and
    5) we flew out with Aer Lingus!

You should have flown back with them!

You are obviously not a Ryanair regular and therein lies the problem. Maybe there was a language barrier too. Put it behind you now and move on. Getting so upset at this stage isn't going to help anyone.

And stick with Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why?

Aer Lingus aren't one for allowing their passengers ignore regulations either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why?

Free airport checkin may have helped here, although it sounds like they arrived within minutes of the flight closing anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No we were there over an hour before the flight....we queued up behind other people taking the same flight.

An hour before the flight leaving was far too little time to be honest

Why?

Cut them some slack. They obviously are not frequent flyers and made a horlicks of things. They need to just chalk it up to experience.

It doesn't say one restricted item - you misread that or made it up. It says

The trip you're trying to retrieve has (1) or more restricted elements. A customer service agent will need to checkin for you.

The restriction is imposed because the children needed special assistance. That's not being debated by Ryanair. I've said this five or six times now, not sure it's sinking in though.

But it clearly says a customer service agent will need to check in for you.
    All you had to do was ring the number, and they would have checked you in while you were on the phone to them, and as I said put you all sitting together at no extra cost to yourself.
    I know because we did it last June.
    You just did it wrong.

You should have flown back with them!

You are obviously not a Ryanair regular and therein lies the problem. Maybe there was a language barrier too. Put it behind you now and move on. Getting so upset at this stage isn't going to help anyone.

You don't know anything about how regulary I fly with Ryanair or any other airline.

It is true that I have spent to much time on this forum answering barbed and often moronic comments from people like yourself.

I had hoped I might get some direct response from Ryanair on the Forum. However when they e-mail you a response to your complaint they send it from an e-mail address that doesn't accept responses back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had hoped I might get some direct response from Ryanair on the Forum. However when they e-mail you a response to your complaint they send it from an e-mail address that doesn't accept responses back.

Ryanair don't have any presence on this forum

• Advertisement

You don't know anything about how regulary I fly with Ryanair or any other airline.

It is true that I have spent to much time on this forum answering barbed and often moronic comments from people like yourself.

Chill. I was actually standing up for you! Sorry for my moronic efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Diarmad - uncivil comments to other posters are not welcome here

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Within the EU, the recommended time to arrive at the airport before a flight is 2 hours. This allows for any issues/delays with check-in, baggage drop or security. If you arrived just over an hour before your flight having already had issues with check-in online, you didn't leave sufficient time to sort out the problem unfortunately.

I know it's a crap situation to be in and an expensive one, but it did say to call a customer care line which you didn't do. As far as the airport/Ryanair staff are concerned, you didn't follow the instructions given to have allowed them the time to help you board on time with your kids and you cut it a bit fine time wise given the fact that you weren't already checked in. They can't break the rules just for certain cases.

From Ryanair's Website:
    We recommend that you check-in baggage as early as possible, the Bag Drop desks open two hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time.

The Bag Drop desks close strictly 40 minutes before the scheduled time of departure. If you miss this deadline your booking could be cancelled without refund and you could be prevented from boarding the plane.

It s important that you make it to your boarding gate in good time, at least 30 minutes before your flight departure time.

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Ryanair have just reduced the time window for free check-ins from 7 days to 4 days, from 1st November:
    Ryanair wrote:
    Please note that from 1st November, free online check-in will be available from 4 days to 2 hours ahead of departure. Customers who do not wish to reserve their preferred seat, can check-in online or on the mobile app free of charge between 4 days and 2 hours before departure and will be allocated a random seat. (See T&Cs below).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Spocker wrote: »
    Ryanair have just reduced the time window for free check-ins from 7 days to 4 days, from 1st November:

That's pretty poor. Pain for anyone going away for a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

And you know the only reason is to push the seat sales. There's no other reason to reduce it to 4 days.

I must download the app. It's a pain trying to get tickets printed abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I presume its to get revenue from seat sales but the app is very handy to use for anyone with a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

yabadabado wrote: »
    I presume its to get revenue from seat sales but the app is very handy to use for anyone with a smartphone.

It is very poor from Ryanair, don't count on the App generating the boarding pass being free forever with the mindset that appears to percolate through Ryanair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It is very poor from Ryanair, don't count on the App generating the boarding pass being free forever with the mindset that appears to percolate through Ryanair

More likely they'll just spam a bunch of ads in the mobile app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

EasyJet still 31 days, and with sterling falling.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

And you know the only reason is to push the seat sales. There's no other reason to reduce it to 4 days.

At least it's still better than the 30 hours you get with Aer Fungus

MOH wrote: »
    At least it's still better than the 30 hours you get with Aer Fungus

It's all so unnecessary. Why do they limit it so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Aer Lingus have the decency to allow you to check in at the airport for free. I have done this many times both to check in and also to check in cabin bags of 10Kgs free. (Aer Lingus staff - or their agents- have never refused to check them in free, which means you can pack a few liquids if necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh for god sake, I'm flying November 1st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Oh for god sake, I'm flying November 1st!

You'll be ok. It only affects you if your flying after the 4th of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

For anyone who hasn't used the app out of fear of getting stuck or it not working for them, I can attest that it's a great job. The outbound check in takes a little time but you'll be doing that from the comfort of your house so no rush, the retun flights took me the time between ordering a drink in spain and it arriving to get done. It's so easy.

Also, for added security and peace of mind you can screenshot the QR code on your phone and you have those as back up. I even sent them all to my wifes phone on Viber so if my battery died or I lost the phone she's got a copy of them.

Jay , do you just scroll from one passenger to another at security, for instance at terminal 1, do you pass the phone back to the next person after the barrier opens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

joeysoap wrote: »
    Jay , do you just scroll from one passenger to another at security, for instance at terminal 1, do you pass the phone back to the next person after the barrier opens?

No you go through as a group, one person will display the phone to the Ryanair staff member and they will scan for all four people in the group and then check the passports.

very smooth process in fairness.

Advertisement