Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Cheers and thanks

I bough a flight in August to Faro earlier in the year ( thinking it would go up in price ) and when I went to check tonight it's well reduced and so is the earlier flight and I thought I might change flights ie the daytime flight now costs what I paid for the late flight but on checking the cost (2 x €40) I'll just let it sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This post has been deleted.

Buy the UK -> Destination flight as a single trip, then buy the Destination -> UK flight as a separate trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Buy the UK -> Destination flight as a single trip, then buy the Destination -> UK flight as a separate trip.

I do this all the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Last week my flight from Knock to Stansted was delayed by 3 hours and 45 minutes, so I went today to fill out the EU261 compensation form thinking I was entitled to €250 of compensation. However, the second page of the form (https://eu261claims.ryanair.com/) only has options for reimbursement of things like accommodation, taxis etc. for flights that were delayed, and refunds for fully cancelled flights, but as far as I could see no section for compensation. By Ryanair's own admission (https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/help-centre-pdfs/eu261-.pdf) I should be entitled to the compensation but the forms don't accommodate for this so how do I go about getting in contact with them for compensation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

This is where Ryanair make a lot of their profit. 100 million passengers at €2.50 a pop under the EU261 heading is a lot money, which they seldom have to pay out, and reluctantly at that. Don't think you are covered for the €250 but you should have been given food vouchers. Fwiw EasyJet are the same. Mushroom treatment all the way. Afaik A/L give out vouchers for use at the airport, (at least they did on one of my journeys)

RIGHT TO CARE
    If you are involuntarily denied boarding or if your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 2 hours, we will offer you, free of charge:
    a) meals and refreshment vouchers in reasonable relation to the waiting time, as long as it will not further delay the departure of the aircraft;
    b) two telephone calls, telex or fax messages or e-mails;
    c) hotel accommodation in cases where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or where a stay additional to that intended by you becomes necessary;

joeysoap wrote: »
    Don't think you are covered for the €250 but you should have been given food vouchers.;

They were giving out food vouchers on the day, but I didn't bother with them because I had eaten before I arrived at the airport.
    As for being covered for the €250 they made it seem very much like I am:
    1. RIGHT TO COMPENSATION If you are involuntarily denied boarding, your flight is cancelled or your flight is delayed more than 3 hours (provided an exception as specified above does not apply), you are entitled to receive the following amount from us:  € 250 in respect of all flights of 1,500km or less; or  € 400 in respect of all intra-EU flights of more than 1,500km, and for all other flights between 1,500km and 3,500km. If we are able to offer you re-routing on an alternative flight and the arrival time of the re-routed flight does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight booked:  by two hours, in respect of all flights of 1,500km or less; or  by three hours, in respect of all intra-EU flights of more than 1,500km, and for all other flights between 1,500km and 3,500km. the compensation set out above will be reduced by 50%. Distances shall be measured by the great circle route method.
    2. RIGHT TO REIMBURSEMENT OR RE-ROUTING If you are denied boarding (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) or your flight is cancelled, you are additionally entitled to choose between: (a) reimbursement in accordance with Article 7(3) of the Regulation; or (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at the earliest opportunity; or (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at a later date at your convenience, subject to availability of seats. If your flight is delayed by at least five hours and you elect not to travel, you are entitled to receive reimbursement as set out in point (a) above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Last week my flight from Knock to Stansted was delayed by 3 hours and 45 minutes, so I went today to fill out the EU261 compensation form thinking I was entitled to €250 of compensation. However, the second page of the form (https://eu261claims.ryanair.com/) only has options for reimbursement of things like accommodation, taxis etc. for flights that were delayed, and refunds for fully cancelled flights, but as far as I could see no section for compensation. By Ryanair's own admission (https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/help-centre-pdfs/eu261-.pdf) I should be entitled to the compensation but the forms don't accommodate for this so how do I go about getting in contact with them for compensation?

Why was your flight delayed? If it was a mechanical problem or a weather delay, then no compo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep depends on why it was delayed, which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much was your flight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why was your flight delayed? If it was a mechanical problem or a weather delay, then no compo :(

If it's mechanical you will get compensation as its within their control
    Weather and 3rd party strikes you won't

Ryanair compensated me on a delay due to mechanical issues

Electrical issues, which are totally within Ryanair's control as they're responsible for the maintenance of their planes

Electrical issues, which are totally within Ryanair's control as they're responsible for the maintenance of their planes

Eh, it'd take alot of work to win with that point.

From here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html

"If the airline can prove that the delay was caused by an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been avoided, even if all reasonable measures had been taken, no compensation is payable."

Ryanair could (and probably would) argue that they had a comprehensive maintenance schedule for that aircraft, and that the electrical fault occurring was out of their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

From here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html

"If the airline can prove that the delay was caused by an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been avoided, even if all reasonable measures had been taken, no compensation is payable."

Ryanair could (and probably would) argue that they had a comprehensive maintenance schedule for that aircraft, and that the electrical fault occurring was out of their control.

if that was the case then surely they could claim that any technical problems that occurred with an aircraft could not have been avoided and therefore no compensation is due. I'm not sure even ryanair would have the neck for that.

if that was the case then surely they could claim that any technical problems that occurred with an aircraft could not have been avoided and therefore no compensation is due. I'm not sure even ryanair would have the neck for that.

They regularly do.

Realistically there's very little things that you can get compensation for.

That is hardly relevant.

Well if you pay 30 euro for a flight and it's delayed by less than 3 hours do you really think a 800% compensation is realistic ?

If an item is bought with a life span of 20 years and it fails before that then it is outside of their control. Failing to maintain a plane is very different than a part failing.

You can service your car but it may still break down

ted1 wrote: »
    Well if you pay 30 euro for a flight and it's delayed by less than 3 hours do you really think a 800% compensation is realistic ?

Considering they have been adding a 2 euro surcharge to every single ticket they sell since the Volcanic eruptions in 2010 specifically so they don't have to bear the cost of this regulation themselves, it wouldn't matter if I was getting 100,000% compensation

• Advertisement

My flight was cancelled from beauvais back in February. We were on the plane but the captain told us that there was a small area of damage noticed by ground handling and they had to get pre-clearance from Dublin before take off due to the damage. Dublin said no, that it would have to be examined by an engineer and that a new plane would take us home the next morning.

While we were entitled to accommodation, beauvais was all booked out so we had to sleep in the terminal.
    Anyway a few days later I submitted the claim for compensation and ryanair paid out nearly straight away. Think it was two weeks after the flight that I got 250 Euro of them.
    So yes ryanair do pay compensation for mechanical issues and the only hassle involved was filling out a form.

And yes my flight was less than 250 Euro. It was 54 quid. However I was 12 hours late home and had lost some hours of work. The value of the flight doesn't matter though. If it fits the eu regulation requirements then you're entitled to the compensation.
    Do I think it's stupid that they had to pay me 250 Euro compo on a 54 Euro flight. Yes, but that isn't going to stop me from claiming it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

My flight was cancelled from beauvais back in February. We were on the plane but the captain told us that there was a small area of damage noticed by ground handling and they had to get pre-clearance from Dublin before take off due to the damage. Dublin said no, that it would have to be examined by an engineer and that a new plane would take us home the next morning.

While we were entitled to accommodation, beauvais was all booked out so we had to sleep in the terminal.
    Anyway a few days later I submitted the claim for compensation and ryanair paid out nearly straight away. Think it was two weeks after the flight that I got 250 Euro of them.
    So yes ryanair do pay compensation for mechanical issues and the only hassle involved was filling out a form.

And yes my flight was less than 250 Euro. It was 54 quid. However I was 12 hours late home and had lost some hours of work. The value of the flight doesn't matter though. If it fits the eu regulation requirements then you're entitled to the compensation.
    Do I think it's stupid that they had to pay me 250 Euro compo on a 54 Euro flight. Yes, but that isn't going to stop me from claiming it[/QUOTE]

200 quid would not compensate me for sleeping in a poxy terminal. Definitely not stupid.

The compensation was nothing to do with having to sleep in the terminal.

Couldn't be arsed fighting on having to sleep in the terminal. All they have to argue is that Had I organised my own accom they'd have refunded it. I couldn't because my phone was dead

My flight was cancelled from beauvais back in February.

There's a (small) difference in delay and cancelled.

joeysoap wrote: »
    There's a (small) difference in delay and cancelled.

Well it was delayed 10 hours if you want to put it differently
    A new plane had to be brought in and a new flight was scheduled for us. There was two ryanair to dublin flights between 9 and 10 that morning

Anyway, if the flight is cancelled, you get compensation (provided not extraordinary events such as a strike), 2 weeks notice is given or an alternative with a similar schedule. If its delayed and arrives more than 3 hours late you get compensation once not extraordinary events

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I recently had a flight delayed for more than 6 hours due to a technical issue. They said nothing more than "a light has come on in the cockpit".

I didn't even realise you could get compensation, was told by a friend so I sent a letter off, heard back last week that they're going to pay out €250 for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topcashback.co.uk offering up to 6.06% cashback on Ryanair flights + ancillaries
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ryanair/

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Does anyone have the form handy that you need to fill out for a delayed flight? I can find one for a flight cancellation and for a delay where you chose not to fly, but not for one where your flight is delayed more than 3 hours and you're entitled to some kind of compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I did this for very early morning flight last Christmas. Worked a treat - yes, it meant going to the airport the evening before, but that just meant we finished packing earlier, and could relax for the evening.

Advertisement