Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

athtrasna wrote: »
    In the same way as non allocated seating "forced" families to pay for priority boarding?

Which is another money making "scam"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

athtrasna wrote: »
    In the same way as non allocated seating "forced" families to pay for priority boarding?

Not really as more often than not before allocated seating was introduced families would generally get to sit with one another but now there's no guarantee of that unless you pay, hence my previous comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have checked in 7 days in advance now for 6 flights* so far and each time we have got seats together so the only way people are 'forced' is if it is a very late booking or people are too lazy to check in early.

*4 x flights for 4 people & 2 x flights for 3 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Pay for what? I know I'm booked on the flight, and should get a seat. I don't care where as it's only an hour's flight to London. In the unlikely event I don't get one, then Ryanair have to put me on the next flight. Makes me laugh when all the sheep make a mad dash to board, and when the plane lands, it's an equal mad dash to get off the plane, even when it's taxiing to a stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

How does free seat allocation work if you travel with small child? (say between 3 and 6 years old)?
    Could a situation happen, where you get awarded seats separate from each other forcing child to seat away fron the parent somewhere between the strangers?
    Anyone has any experience?

CiniO wrote: »

Yes, check in as early as possible and you will get seats together

Yes, check in as early as possible and you will get seats together

Allright, but does that actually mean that if I don't check in as early as possible I could have my 3 year old kid sitting on the other side od the cabin?

Allright, but does that actually mean that if I don't check in as early as possible I could have my 3 year old kid sitting on the other side od the cabin?

Yes although I do not see that happening for 3 reasons

1. The earlier you check in the higher chance you get 2 seats together. I cannot see any reason why you cannot check in 6 or 7 days in advance
    2. If you book the flight a few days before departure, you go to buy 2 seats together and you will see if the cabin is full and decide to purchase or check in immediately
    3. If the above cannot be done for some reason, you check in 4 hours before the flight and then ask the cabin crew if 2 seats can be found together or you ask the person next to you or your child to if they would kindly move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

How does free seat allocation work if you travel with small child? (say between 3 and 6 years old)?
    Could a situation happen, where you get awarded seats separate from each other forcing child to seat away fron the parent somewhere between the strangers?

No because he /she is a minor so would have to be seated with an adult.

Yes although I do not see that happening for 3 reasons

1. The earlier you check in the higher chance you get 2 seats together. I cannot see any reason why you cannot check in 6 or 7 days in advance
    2. If you book the flight a few days before departure, you go to buy 2 seats together and you will see if the cabin is full and decide to purchase or check in immediately
    3. If the above cannot be done for some reason, you check in 4 hours before the flight and then ask the cabin crew if 2 seats can be found together or you ask the person next to you or your child to if they would kindly move

To be honest it sounds mad...
    After booking a flight with a small child, I should take all those steps to make sure that child won't be seating between the strangers...

I think you must be wrong, or if you are not, then Ryanair way of doing things are below any reasonable limits.
    But I suspect the former one ;)

You can book 2 seats together to ensure you are together or you check in as soon as the window opens. I do not think that sounds mad at all. What would be mad is if Ryanair put people on the same booking in random seats, they do not do that and I think you are being a drama queen. Book it and try it for your own experience rather than asking about other peoples experience and then saying they must be wrong.

Is there something about checking in when the window opens that you cannot do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

was it not on this thread yesterday the guy with the child explained what happened when himself and the child got different seats?

anyway it went like this

check in
    different seats apart allocated
    he said it to staff
    staff said we always prefer adult & child together, hang on we'll sort it
    upgraded to priority queue
    upgraded seats
    same on way back
    Ryanair happy to help, no hassle

eta: it was a different ryanair thread, here's the post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90476850&postcount=30

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just booked some flights for the first time in about 6 months. Wow they've gone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Oryx wrote: »
    Just booked some flights for the first time in about 6 months. Wow they've gone up.

The pricing is largely demand based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Oryx wrote: »

Booked flights home for the summer and they are significantly cheaper than last year. It's all about the luck of your timing!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Booked flights home for the summer and they are significantly cheaper than last year. It's all about the luck of your timing!

I tend to book the same flights on the same route a lot, and I checked a variety of dates. It was over 20% dearer than I used to pay regardless of whether it was a month or two months away.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dunno, I booked about a month ago for next weekend, STN-DUB and SNN-LGW for a Friday-Tuesday long weekend, and it was £42 total each. Not noticing a massive distance on London-Dublin or Shannon routes tbh.

• Advertisement

I booked 2 sets of flights Edinburgh to Dublin return recently and they came in at £30 & £45 return. I have started to book the legs separate as the price from Dublin is the same in € therefore I can save a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Pay for what? I know I'm booked on the flight, and should get a seat. I don't care where as it's only an hour's flight to London. In the unlikely event I don't get one, then Ryanair have to put me on the next flight. Makes me laugh when all the sheep make a mad dash to board, and when the plane lands, it's an equal mad dash to get off the plane, even when it's taxiing to a stop.

As far as i am aware Ryanair do not practice overbooking like some other low cost airlines. So if you check-in on time and get to the gate on time you will get on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Makes me laugh when all the sheep make a mad dash to board

:eek: Is this just an Irish thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the amount of deals that can be got with Ryanair is just insane, the value for money is incredible.

alot of times my taxi to the airport cost more than the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You still have to compare . ie Faro to Dublin 29th Sept dep 16.35 - €143. Aer Lingus dep 20:10 €104. Both have earlier flights 29th, Ryanair at 7am and A/L at 10am. Ryanair are €10 cheaper. (I intend returning on this date hence I compared the prices :))

* Ryanair are cheaper on days either side, and the more flexible you are the better chances of finding a cheaper flight, but Ryanair are not always the cheapest.

the amount of deals that can be got with Ryanair is just insane, the value for money is incredible.

But...but..but..they don't roll out the red carpet for you and buy you food and drink like you suddenly have no money in the world if there's a delay and..and...erm...well that O'Leary is a right one isn't he!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Deals me arse

Was keeping an eye on flights ... price remained the same only to go up significantly after their sale started.... Left me confused tbh :cool:

Advertisement