Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

redsurfer wrote: »
    Yes

No......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

NGA wrote: »
    Yes

No......

All my class was given them and every other reserve I have know has them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

I haven't and don't expect to have them...
    G
    Never seen a regular wear standar gloves even!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i have em

theyve fought off more frostbite than sharp weapons

i have em

theyve fought off more frostbite than sharp weapons

also great for making snowballs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Leather gloves are not slash proof gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

NGA wrote: »
    Leather gloves are not slash proof gloves

I was issued with skytec gloves, seriously similar if not identical? to these. All the packaging went out the day we received our uniforms so I can't be certain.

Right, when I get home... I am going to put my gloves on and ask someone to run a razor sharp knife over the palms of my hands to check which one I have...:eek: Not

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I don't have the OC course done yet :o but I've seen it in use and man oh man :eek: job done alright!

The incapacitent spray is a great piece of kit. It does exactly what it says on the tin.
    If i might offer a small piece of advice to anyone that has to discharge theirs in the course of duty, wash your hand immediatly and before you touch any other piece of your uniform or kit. You wont see it but it will get on your hands and the dam stuff transfers very well to everypart of you that you touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

Check out
    http://www.reservepolice.org/Links.htm
    Florida
    Charlotte Co. Sheriff Reserve
    Florida Highway Patrol Auxiliary
    Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Reserve
    Florida State Capitol Reserve Police
    Fort Lauderdale Reserve Police
    Hillsborough Co. Sheriff Reserve
    Holmes Co Sheriff's Auxiliary
    Lantana Reserve Police
    Tampa Reserve Police

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

also
    Pennsylvania Abington Township Special Police
    Alleghany Co. Sheriff Reserves
    Cheltenham Township Auxiliary Police
    Connellsville Borough Auxiliary Police
    Pennsylvania Volunteer Deputy Waterways Conservation Officer
    Pennsylvania Volunteer Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer
    West Mifflin Borough Auxiliary Police
    AND they get a gun :-)

agreed with elvis!

nasty ****e altogether

i had some on my vest, near the collar and my eyes were burning well after the event

great bitta kit

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayfire911

can anyone tell me are we getting new powers ? im starting my 5 year now section's 4,6,and 8 under the public order act would be usefull for sure it would make you feel that your of some use to the full time lads and not just gathering up work for them to do dose anyone feel the same as me?:confused:

mayfire911 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me are we getting new powers ? im starting my 5 year now section's 4,6,and 8 under the public order act would be usefull for sure it would make you feel that your of some use to the full time lads and not just gathering up work for them to do dose anyone feel the same as me?:confused:

Hey there, welcome to our Garda Reserve forum :). I would ask that firstly you familiarise yourself with our forum charter, especially in relation to txt-spk.

Secondly, you should come over and ask your question in here, a forum only for serving garda reserve members who I'm sure won't hesitate in answering for you.

mayfire911 wrote: »

I would answer only for the fact that I don't know as of yet. I am still very new to the garda reserves but each day I work, I learn something new in practice as opposed to reading and reading whilst off-duty. Theory is one thing but seeing operations in practice is quite another.

More powers would be great, of course, but to a new reserve - maybe not such a great idea! I would definitely be in favour of more powers going to reserves after the 2-year probationary period though. If I were to be awarded more, then obviously I won't disagree with anyone or walk away from any responsibility :)

Now, considering their are serving Garda Reserves with 2, 3, 4+ years experience under their belts
    surely it would make operational sense to introduce more powers to them to add to their experience at little extra cost considering all already have full-uniforms and equipment.

Their are ways to help with this at a slight additional cost.

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Passers by aid gardaí being assaulted

A local garda avoided serious injuries when members of the public came to his assistance as he was assaulted during the course of duty, writes Orla Hearns.

The garda, a full-time member of the force, attended a public order incident on Garden Street in Ballina at around 2.30am on Sunday last. He was in the company of a reserve garda.

The Western People understands that both officers were turned upon by a group of youths who seriously assaulted the full-time Garda. The garda is now back at work, having been treated for his injuries.

The matter is currently being investigated.

A garda spokesperson paid tribute to members of the general public who had come to the assistance of the gardaí on the night, preventing more seious injuries being inflicted.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact Ballina Garda Station on (096)

checkside wrote: »
    Dare I ask the question, do reserves want new powers without discussing some form of payment for all the time that is required for training etc.
    It is time to ask if we will be expected to do more we should be expecting at least an hourly rate starting off with the min wage?

hey there,
    Welcome to our forum.

I have to say this is a very unusual first-post to have, if you are indeed a serving reserve. Why not introduce yourself here and allow us to get to know you? :)

Dare I ask the question, do reserves want new powers without discussing some form of payment for all the time that is required for training etc.
    It is time to ask if we will be expected to do more we should be expecting at least an hourly rate starting off with the min wage?

Well I'am asking for a company car anyhow.. and maybe an increase in my hourly rate:D
    and a super duper pension

With joking aside, I believe it is a serious issue and should be treated as such!
    And yes it was my 1st post, and I will introduce myself as soon as I get to understand how all this board business works etc.
    Rgs

I was been serious... :o

I look forward to you "introducing yourself" :D

• Advertisement

I believe it is a serious issue and should be treated as such!

yeah i want that rolls royce pension all the gardai get

and the 1500 quid a week

and the 6 weeks annual leave

and all the free gargle coppers nightclub can provide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

With joking aside, I believe it is a serious issue and should be treated as such!
    And yes it was my 1st post, and I will introduce myself as soon as I get to understand how all this board business works etc.
    Rgs

You came into this with your eyes open, no one forced you too, so the extra work load, should it come, is part and parcel of the package, i never came into this myself for the money, this is all about giving something back to your community, or if you are not in your local station someone else's community, where as the Reserve is doing his / her bit for your community, we all know the state of affairs the country is in at the moment, its bad enough the GRA dont want the reserves, can you imagine what would be said if they where going to increase the yearly rate..... I do.

It is time to ask, if we will be expected to do more, we should be expecting at least an hourly rate starting off with the min wage or more?

I have been getting these types of messages via pm lately and I find it cowardly that they won't just ask what they really want to know, right here, in this public forum for all to see.

I don't know any serving Reserve who joined for the money. Ask any on the day they receive their allowance if they feel it worth their while & you'll find none signing off and resigning their position! It's not about the money! You refer above to 'we', 'we', what are your thoughts? DO you not feel full-filled at being of some help to a community on a voluntary basis? Are you not happy giving some of your time when you have it? Are you in this for the money?

Where are you going with your 'minimum wage' nonsense? The Garda Reserves that I have come to know are NOT in it for the money. More powers to serving Garda Reserves would greatly help the full-timers we are assisting, especially PUBLIC-ORDER powers, as they are the primary scenarios where we would be in to see full-timers laying down the law.
    Garda Reserves already have some training and learned the law relating the acts that we don't have powers to - it wouldn't take long to refresh our memories on those laws (especially if you had a training Sgt like I did for my Legal Studies - I can assure you, you won't forget your laws); we are fully equipped and have full-uniforms and some additional time allocated to additional training to introduce Garda Reserves with Public Orders powers would ease life all around I say.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I have been getting these types of messages via pm lately and I find it cowardly that they won't just ask what they really want to know, right here, in this public forum for all to see.

I don't know any serving Reserve who joined for the money. Ask any on the day they receive their allowance if they feel it worth their while & you'll find none signing off and resigning their position! It's not about the money! You refer above to 'we', 'we', what are your thoughts? DO you not feel full-filled at being of some help to a community on a voluntary basis? Are you not happy giving some of your time when you have it? Are you in this for the money?

Where are you going with your 'minimum wage' nonsense? The Garda Reserves that I have come to know are NOT in it for the money. More powers to serving Garda Reserves would greatly help the full-timers we are assisting, especially PUBLIC-ORDER powers, as they are the primary scenarios where we would be in to see full-timers laying down the law.
    Garda Reserves already have some training and learned the law relating the acts that we don't have powers to - it wouldn't take long to refresh our memories on those laws (especially if you had a training Sgt like I did for my Legal Studies - I can assure you, you won't forget your laws); we are fully equipped and have full-uniforms and some additional time allocated to additional training to introduce Garda Reserves with Public Orders powers would ease life all around I say.

Kerry did you ever think they might not be from reserve or full time serving members, but from another source!

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Kerry did you ever think they might not be from reserve or full time serving members, but from another source!

yes! Hence the message I sent you guys! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

It is time to ask, if we will be expected to do more, we should be expecting at least an hourly rate starting off with the min wage or more?
    Rgs

If you really are a reserve I dont know what interview you did. The idea of the Garda Reserve is that it is VOLUNTARY. Making it a part time paid position just opens a total can of worms.

An expense allowance that reflects your costs incurred in being a reserve is a different matter, but being paid?

Me thinks they are not a reserve also... BUT if he/she is and displaying an attitude like that they should resign from the Garda Reserves... Absolutely a terrible attitude to have...never in my 4.5 years service did I come across this type of money grabbing / power tripping attitude... Enough said on this by me... Ahhhh.. It takes all sorts...:eek:

Rgs

Okay, seeing as you are new in here I would like to bring the following threads to your attention. They will assist you in replying to our responses and then maybe you might enlighten us further as to your motives for your two opening posts above.

- our Forum Charter
    - Newbies/FAQ
    - Helpdesk

Those threads should have answers for you to assist you to "understand how all this board business works etc."

Also, anything else don't hesitate in posting in our forum here.

Many thanks,
    kerry4sam

We are a great bunch of people for helping others out with regarding how to get into the reserves etc, we are not a bunch of people willing to spread malicious gossip about the force.

So if in fact you are looking for help on the first matter please do not hesitate to post, we will do our best to facilitate you in answers, where possible.

• Advertisement

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    We are a great bunch of people for helping others out with regarding how to get into the reserves etc, we are not a bunch of people willing to spread malicious gossip about the force.

So if in fact you are looking for help on the first matter please do not hesitate to post, we will do our best to facilitate you in answers, where possible.

Maybe now that PrimeTime has aired that recent & well publicized, ummmm, ah! programme?, maybe nobody will want to pm kerry4sam for another short while. That would be a shame though. I liked reading, but just couldn't get myself to reply somehow :eek:

But thanks to whoever you guys are though, enjoyable :D

And yes we are a great bunch of helpers on here :pac:

Advertisement