Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

redsurfer wrote: »
    Hi all, saw this on the Mets Q & A page, thought it may be of interest.
    Hopefully it will be done the same here in time

Currently the only route for external applicants to become a police officer is by joining the MPS as a Special Constable. MPS special constables are able to apply for the role of police officer when internal vacancies arise if they have attained Independent Patrol Status (IPS) and have a current satisfactory appraisal. Independent Patrol Status is the term given when a special constable has reached a satisfactory standard of competence to enable them to patrol independently.

redsurfer while I was aware that UK Reserves/Specials could pretty much do most things that their full time colleagues can do subject to training and experience, it will be a long long time before we ever see a similar situation here? However I like the sound of the 'Independent Patrol Status' (IPS) and bringing in something similar here for the Garda Reserve would transform it overnight, as no longer would Reserves who have attained IPS have to be 'babysat' or 'mollycoddled'

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

trail man wrote: »
    was also wondering where the figure of 3 million came from, At the moment the number of reserves is roughly about 800. now being paid the princely sum of 1000 euro per annum per reserve, the figure comes to 800.000 euro per annum.
    Thats a long way from 3 million...Perhaps mr stone has factored the rest into mollycodling us...
    need i say more..

Take into account the equipment cost and the training costs perhaps €500/€700 per reserve for kit and the training costs maybe another 2K per reserve. On the opposite side of the balance sheet 208hrs per year per reserve which is 166400hrs per year and then take into account say a cost of €60 approx per hour for a fulltimer (inc hols /pension/sickness/employer PRSI etc). This equates to a contibution of €9,984,000 minus 800k (1k per year reserve allowance) which means that we as reserves are donating €9,184,000 per year to the state. What other voluntary group in the country does this.

So guys and girls remember the figures the next time some un-informed individual is spounting the negatives about the garda reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I had agreed a day and a set time with a Sergeant on my unit for me to work 4hours. I arrive 15mins before start of shift and was ready when 10mins after me, another reserve (2years on the job) turns up and they get told their out in the car, given work to do by another Sergeant. Is that the way it is though - eventhough you agree your time, because they have more experience they're told you're out in the car and I'm told sorry, I don't actually know what reserves can do at the station to help the S.O. but you're on station-duty anyways!

What it cost me to drive over and back for standing in the station for 1 1/2hrs not being able to assist at the desk, not actually being able to do anything helpful! is sickening.

Serving Reserves: When on station-duty, what are you doing? Are you able to log in to pulse? I can't and I haven't even been given a notebook despite being promised one three times! and attending incidents in the past in the car that would be useful for my diary that has to be completed. (no cuffs or wooden batton either). I've ASP passed but I know I won't get that until I graduate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

You still are a student reserve so honestly there is not much you can do until you are attested, get used to been told where you are going to be put they can keep you in the station, on the beat, or in the car that is up to the unit Sargent what he wants you to do, welcome to our world !!

I have often spent 8hrs in front office but i like doing that anyways as its always busy.

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    You still are a student reserve so honestly there is not much you can do until you are attested, get used to been told where you are going to be put they can keep you in the station, on the beat, or in the car that is up to the unit Sargent what he wants you to do, welcome to our world !!

I've no problems being told what to do. I'm used to it in my paid-job. It's just I was promised hours and work out in the car but then when that other reserve arrived and met another Sergeant they get doing what I was supposed to do. Only one Sergeant offered to assist me in getting answers, the other didn't want to know I was there once the reserve with 2years experience arrived.

What do you do when on station-duty? You able to log on to pulse okay? Were you given cuffs and wooden batton before being attested or after?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately before you are attested you cant do nothing, that is prob why he sent the other reserve out with them, you cant log on to pulse either only after you have been set up on the system, all you have to do is when someone come into front office ask them can you help them, but then if you dont know the answer ask the full time member attached to the office duties, they should help you out as you are only starting, but as i say this is what it is, until other things are set in place, you will also be better accepted if you just keep coming in, as for that journal nobody does them well i never did and anyone i know did not as well, you can always use a copy if you want to record your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

kerry4sam wrote: »
    What it cost me to drive over and back for standing in the station for 1 1/2hrs not being able to assist at the desk, not actually being able to do anything helpful! is sickening.

Serving Reserves: When on station-duty, what are you doing? Are you able to log in to pulse? I can't and I haven't even been given a notebook despite being promised one three times! and attending incidents in the past in the car that would be useful for my diary that has to be completed. (no cuffs or wooden batton either). I've ASP passed but I know I won't get that until I graduate..

With all due respect that travel is what you signed up for.

You havint got PULSE access as your a student reserve, you havint got a notebook as you are a student reserve (they are in short supply at present) and you have no cuffs etc as your a student reserve.

Of course a full Reserve will be given priority (if they are a good one) in going out doors as they can act within their powers to assist members of AGS. Bide your time kerry......we all had to do it be it reserves or full time members.......your turn will come once they see you can deal with all the sh1tty jobs you will be elevated. (if you dont complain to them too much!!!)

Spot on NGA just keep your head down Kerry and everything will fall into place for you. ;)

Spot on NGA just keep your head down Kerry and everything will fall into place for you. ;)

Most important in the quest to being accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I've no problems being told what to do. I'm used to it in my paid-job. It's just I was promised hours and work out in the car but then when that other reserve arrived and met another Sergeant they get doing what I was supposed to do. Only one Sergeant offered to assist me in getting answers, the other didn't want to know I was there once the reserve with 2years experience arrived.

What do you do when on station-duty? You able to log on to pulse okay? Were you given cuffs and wooden batton before being attested or after?

only in the door and your whinging! youve a long way to go yet

ur a student reserve and youve yet to earn your stripes

you should treat that 4hours as a golden opportunity to get to grips with what a station orderly does. its a very important part of the job

suck it up and get stuck in

• Advertisement

NGA wrote: »
    Most important in the quest to being accepted.

That is the hardest part of the goal !!

For me right now, it really is a case of WHEN i don't know the answer to the next question. Oh I can't wait to settle in and get into the swing of things proper! It's not a nice feeling not being able to help when you see them busy at the station.

NGA wrote: »
    With all due respect that travel is what you signed up for.

You havint got PULSE access as your a student reserve, you havint got a notebook as you are a student reserve (they are in short supply at present) and you have no cuffs etc as your a student reserve.

Of course a full Reserve will be given priority (if they are a good one) in going out doors as they can act within their powers to assist members of AGS. Bide your time kerry......we all had to do it be it reserves or full time members.......your turn will come once they see you can deal with all the sh1tty jobs you will be elevated. (if you dont complain to them too much!!!)

Thanks NGA! Solid advice :). Be nice to have this drilled in to us when in Templemore on Phase 1 or 3 ;)

For me right now, it really is a case of WHEN i don't know the answer to the next question. Oh I can't wait to settle in and get into the swing of things proper! It's not a nice feeling not being able to help when you see them busy at the station.

Kerry we all been there and some still are, and even some dont get past the acceptance stage with there unit, this is the most important part now, let them see you are willing to learn and come in regardless of what they get you to do, observe what they do in the front office, ask lots of questions thats the way you will learn.

Chill yourself.....you'll work yourself out of the reserves!!!

Its a fine balance of interest and not being overly interested. Help where you can, ask whatever questions come to mind but most of all....DO NOT COMPLAIN or constantly wish you could do more etc.....this will turn them against you very quick.

As ZA said do as many hours as you can and aim that when you arrive they are saying "great kerry is here"......and not "greeeeaaaaattttt....kerry is here:rolleyes:"

Kerry we all been there and some still are, and even some dont get past the acceptance stage with there unit, this is the most important part now, let them see you are willing to learn and come in regardless of what they get you to do, observe what they do in the front office, ask lots of questions thats the way you will learn.

That man has it off. I cannot stress how important it is not to complain etc......you as a reserve want to be the person the unit/sgt/cig think can do any job....no matter how mundane. Thats the making of a good reserve

get stuck in!

dont stand looking like a rabbit in the head lights because you dont know what to do and DEFFO dont stand there like a spoilt child, sulking because you didnt get to in the car and play nee naw nee naw

I remember halloween night, we were flat out the door. pub brawls, gang fights, domestics, UT's and then the mother of all, shots fired. was a savage buzz racing round

then as quick as ya can say 'crime scene' i was stuck standing on a post for 7hours with a fulltime member

i gave up my halloween to stand outside some sh1thole in the cold

'welcome to the gaurds' i was told

so i stood there and yapped the night away. Cig was in and out, quick word and a laugh and we got on with it

i got respect for it

WilcoOut wrote: »
    get stuck in!

dont stand looking like a rabbit in the head lights because you dont know what to do and DEFFO dont stand there like a spoilt child, sulking because you didnt get to in the car and play nee naw nee naw

I remember halloween night, we were flat out the door. pub brawls, gang fights, domestics, UT's and then the mother of all, shots fired. was a savage buzz racing round

then as quick as ya can say 'crime scene' i was stuck standing on a post for 7hours with a fulltime member

i gave up my halloween to stand outside some sh1thole in the cold

'welcome to the gaurds' i was told

so i stood there and yapped the night away. Cig was in and out, quick word and a laugh and we got on with it

i got respect for it

Ah fair play to you! Welcome to the guards is right!
    I wouldn't mind anything like that, I'm just not used to not knowing what to do, where to get the info etc. This kind of info should be broadcast, no-one really knows what a reserve can and can't do in the station. That's only where I need answers re:station duty - just felt so damn useless, I'm not used to that; and they couldn't figure out why I wasn't helping with DLIP etc! Having access for even the basics like inputting licence would be helpful. This time of year seems to be primarily passports so I'm okay with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

I think the wait and the whole process in getting into the reserves may be causing you some of the issues. Remember, you are there to help the regular member in what ever your skipper feels fit. Now, in saying all this you need to nip this in the bud regarding the thought process that you explained in your first post and questioned why an attested Reserve was chosen above you (a trainee reserve). If you don't start thinking in how the system works your experience in the reserve will be like swimming against the current of a raging river. Please for your sake get this into your head... Remember your position in the station... Until you settle in with your unit don't be a no-it all or a smart a##. Always take the advise from the regular members or even long serving reserves... It's free and a valuable sourse of information. When you are training, ask questions but only when the time is appropriate. Communicate with your skipper and try get a time that you can come on without clashing with another reserve so that the regular that is with the reserve can focus on teaching you what is expected, but if that doesn't suit the unit you will have to make the best of the situation. I am 4 years as a reserve and I promise you it will come but be patient. Your there now. As for having no batton, I will stand corrected but you can't go operational without one and the wooden battons aren't really in use anymore..
    A zoneAlarm said slow down.... The regulars on your unit might get the wrong picture of you and that might be a hard thing to shake off, be patient, and as they say keep the head down, eyes and ears open and close your mouth as much as possible. Good luck.... ZoneAlarm and myself are there for any further advise... PM us if you need any help off this tread. Sorry zoneAlarm but I know you don't mind me offering your advise.

I wouldn't mind anything like that, I'm just not used to not knowing what to do, where to get the info etc. This kind of info should be broadcast, no-one really knows what a reserve can and can't do in the station. That's only where I need answers re:station duty - just felt so damn useless, I'm not used to that; and they couldn't figure out why I wasn't helping with DLIP etc! Having access for even the basics like inputting licence would be helpful. This time of year seems to be primarily passports so I'm okay with that.

But you cant sign them kerry you are NOT attested, so remember that.

• Advertisement

But you cant sign them kerry you are NOT attested, so remember that.

yeah I know that. Thanks though. Just watching them complete them and fill in relevant info in book etc for when I can.

Oh roll on July when Kerry graduates! :)

Kerry, remember, you are not attested so be careful in what you sign... Your time on phase 4 is training... To start using pulse you must first learn how to use it... Ask a regular can you sit in on a pulse entry or enquiry. Take out a j
    Scribble pad and take notes. Repeat this process on everything you need to be able to do as an attested reserve. I don't think you are allowed as a trainee to sign any paperwork (passports) or enter anything I to pulse, thus why you have no pulse access at the moment. As for the lack of knowledge that some stations have towards what and what not a reserve can do is in hand at the moment, on that one also be patient...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I had agreed a day and a set time with a Sergeant on my unit for me to work 4hours. I arrive 15mins before start of shift and was ready when 10mins after me, another reserve (2years on the job) turns up and they get told their out in the car, given work to do by another Sergeant. Is that the way it is though - eventhough you agree your time, because they have more experience they're told you're out in the car and I'm told sorry, I don't actually know what reserves can do at the station to help the S.O. but you're on station-duty anyways!

This is just my advice here, as a serving Reserve..

Keep your head down, do what your told(v important) and be a sponge.. yes a sponge! This is all experience for the full time so treat it as a learning experience. You are and always will be an extra body as a Reserve, assist when asked and stand back when told. I don't want to say.. 'know your place'.. but that is kind of the case.

But most important of all.. head down, mouth closed, ears open!;)

Psni, ZoneAlarm is an established reserve and he is offering Kerry4sam some serious advice and helping avoid a big problem should he sign passport forms

Kerry4sam - you have a long way to go. yes, your hands are tied. but you did not tie em. Managment did. as frustrating as that is, you must look past this end do what you can, remember that. your Sgt and Colleagues will have plenty for you to do.

Any Garda, fulltime or reserve, will tell you that its not all chases,fights and action. alot of it is boring and monotonous. That cant be helped.

Iv often done an 8hour shift in the car and had a hand full of small petty calls, even in a very busy and notorious district in the city. other days we could do with 12cars out.

keep the head down

as my Sgt said on my first shift 'you have two eyes, two ears and one mouth. use them in that order'

Agreed WilkoOut.... Signing a passport form without been attested is a serious issue both for you and the passport holder. I do believe ZoneAlarm was drawing that very very very important bit of information to her (kerry4sam).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Let's bring this back on topic please and thanks. It's in our forum charter that moderator directions are not to be discussed on-thread. We have a Feedback forum for that. The issue has been resolved and no further comment is necessary.

Thanks.

@ ZoneAlarm, NGA, WilcoOut, Munster4868, psni, Eroo:

Thanks everyone for the absolutely sound, solid advice given both on the board and via pm. I sincerely appreciate it. Great that you all saw where I was coming from and didn't hesitate in jumping in with your guidance. Believe it or not but one signature here sings out to me "everyday take one step closer to your dream"!

Thanks again everyone, guidance sincerely appreciated ,
    kerry4sam :)

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Within the Garda culture there is the seniority rule which means when your bottom of the food chain and still an unproven asset as you are at this stage of your training the senior person whether that be reserve or fulltimer will be utlised first.

I am assuming you are in Phase four of your training so my advice is go with the flow , listen and learn and be prepared for anything you are asked to do. Perhaps it would be a good idea to give a copy of the reserve manual to the skipper because a lot do not know what duties can be assigned to a reserve , I spoke to my skipper when I first arrived to complete Phase 4 and we went through the manual together and it gave him a better insight into what he could assign me to do. Now having graduated and with in excess of the 208 hours required I am accepted as a member of the unit and recieve a wealth of experience on each shift i complete. Be prerpared to do the boring stuff CCTV , Front desk , standing post. Remember a full timer has to do it so you have to accept that you will too. Its all a learning curve and compared to a fulltime timer we know very little so gather your experience , improve your knowledge and offer the support to your full time colleagues and dont bitch because it will do you no good in the process of intergrating yourself into this demanding role

All the best and enjoy the experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I had a few days like that too Kerry.
    Read the paper, watch TV if there is one, study the area maps, fly on the wall time.

No biggie.

Advertisement