Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A general FYI to the forum:

Following an amicable exchange of PMs with ZoneAlarm, I am happy that there was no tone behind a post he made recently on this forum. I have offered him an apology for misinterpreting the tone of the latter part of his post, and he has accepted without reservation.

Can I also take this time to remind the forum that, even if you perceive that a moderator has made mistake in moderating the forum, or you do not agree with a decision/direction by a forum moderator, that you cannot ever post this on-thread. There are many channels open to you to make your voice of disapproval heard - those include a PM directly to the mod in question, a thread in the Feedback forum, or a complaint in the Dispute Resolution Forum.

As this is just an advisory, no comment is necessary to this post.

Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

redsurfer wrote: »
    Hi all, saw this on the Mets Q & A page, thought it may be of interest.
    Hopefully it will be done the same here in time

Are you recruiting for new constables?
    We are currently not accepting applications for the role of police constable from external applicants.

The MPS has changed the way that it recruits police constables. The majority of police officer recruits will now come from serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. In the future there will be opportunities for external applicants to apply to become police officers if they work in an occupation that means they can not become special constables (as precluded in Police Regulations) or they are unable to perform the role by virtue of their personal circumstances.

Currently the only route for external applicants to become a police officer is by joining the MPS as a Special Constable. MPS special constables are able to apply for the role of police officer when internal vacancies arise if they have attained Independent Patrol Status (IPS) and have a current satisfactory appraisal. Independent Patrol Status is the term given when a special constable has reached a satisfactory standard of competence to enable them to patrol independently.

Special constables will be required to complete an internal application form (when internal vacancies arise) and undertake the Police National Recruitment Standard (NRS) assessment process, which is often called Day 1 (assessment centre) and Day 2 (medical and fitness). All special constable candidates, who achieve the MPS standard at Day 1 NRS, will undertake training which recognises their previous learning and operational experience before being appointed as a police constable. In future when external recruitment reopens, it is likely to be for a very limited number of vacancies.

Applications will be invited from individuals precluded from being special constables by virtue of their profession or personal circumstances (including graduates) and who hold a current accredited prior learning qualification. The selection process would again include the NRS process. If successful, upon appointment these officers would enter a training programme.

The MPS has just launched it first internal selection campaign based on the new approach to police constable selection and training. The internal selection campaign is aimed at selecting from currently serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. To find out more and to apply to become a special constable, please visit www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/specials

Redsurfer,I cant see the same happening here,as far as I'm aware the equivalent of the Reserve in UK have certain powers in contrast to lack of powers reserves have here.Inspectorate O'Toole published report in 2009 suggesting recommendations for application process for full time such as full licence,swimming cert but nothing regarding having garda reserve experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The Inspectorate recommends a review of the operation of the Garda Reserve for the purpose of better defining its role taking into account practical experience of its first three years in existence.
    A

A Working Group chaired by Chief Superintendent HRM and including the Superintendent with responsibility for the Garda Reserve was established to review the operation of the Reserve.

The working group has completed the data gathering phase of this project. Focus groups have been carried out with Superintendents and Garda Reserves around the country.

The final report will be completed by the end of January, 2011.

1st Quarter, 2011
    Assistant Commissioner Human Resource Management

Part of the 6th Report of the Garda Inspectorate, Dont know if the final report has been published yet

Written Answers - Garda Reserve: Garda Reserve (18 May 2011)
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-05-18.935.0&s=garda+reserve#g937.0.r
    Alan Shatter: I have been informed by the *Garda* Commissioner that the
    personnel strength of the *Garda Reserve* on 30 April 2011, the latest
    date for which figures are readily available, was 761.

Just some information regarding the current number within the GR for those of you would are wondering about your chances of joining in the future. Still a way to go if the desired total number of GR's is to be 10% of AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Hey Kerry, hope you dont mind me throwing my couple of thoughts in as well. I would echo what many of the posters have said on here. The way I look at it is if myself or a reserve were not on duty then whatever duty had been assigned would have to be done by a full time member, and if its good enough for them to have to do then why not us. I was on a post over the weekend with a member who apologised for me being stuck with him on the post for 4 hours with pretty much nothing happening. I told him exactly what I said above, if it needs to be done it needs to be done and no point complaining about it, so we chatted away and made the most of the time while trying to ignore the wind and the cold. Complaining is one of the worst things to do, alongside telling a full time member what to do or getting in the way. I was advised that it would take at least 6 months to be fully accepted by your unit and thats only if you dont alienate them during that period. There have been some reserves in my station, thankfully very few, who have not helped themselves (or us) by their attitude and not only do they develop a negative reputation among their own unit but word spreads quickly to other units too. I know what you mean by feeling useless and not knowing what to do, Ive spent time sitting around the public office waiting for a full timer to go walking with and yeah it can feel akward but its also a great opportunity to listen and observe the jailer at work, how decisions are made in relation to who's charged with what and why, the language used on the comms, its all useful in the long run. Dont be disheartened at all, it does get better, once you use common sense, dont expect too much and above all else just see yourself as an extra pair of hands when needed then you'll do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moremiles

freddiew wrote: »
    The Reserves are in most countries, some paid and with the same powers. We would be the laughing stock of the world if we ceased the Reserves.
    http://www.opdjobs.com/oakland-police-department-reserve-police-officer.htm

Very well said ..................:D

To all of you who are in the GR this will give some hope if you are thinking of joining the full time and may or may not be over the age limit.

Given the training we have already recieved and the amount of operational experience we have , it would take just a few modules of training to put us into full time operational roles. This has been done in the UK with Special Constables

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    I refer the Deputy to my reply below to Parliamentary Question 15254/11 which was put down for answer on Wednesday 15 June 2011. The position remains unchanged and consideration is being given to the issue of the circumstances which may effect a change to the upper age limit for entry to An Garda Síochána.
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by Statutory Regulations, namely the Garda Síochána (Admission & Appointments) Regulations 1988/2005. The recruitment age was considered as recently as 2004 when, on the recommendation of the Garda Commissioner, the maximum recruitment age was increased from 26 to 35 years. This upper age limit of 35 was set having regard to equality legislation and also took into account the following criteria:
    (1) The cost of training
    (2) The need for recruits to serve for a sufficient period of time as full members of the service to recoup this cost.
    (3) The operational requirements of the service in terms of having an age profile appropriate to the physical demands placed on members in the course of their duty. Consideration is being given to changing the upper age limit, in limited circumstances, in a way which would be beneficial to An Garda Síochána. The Deputy will be aware that the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006 already allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonnie5

Raider190 wrote: »
    To all of you who are in the GR this will give some hope if you are thinking of joining the full time and may or may not be over the age limit.

Given the training we have already recieved and the amount of operational experience we have , it would take just a few modules of training to put us into full time operational roles. This has been done in the UK with Special Constables

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    I refer the Deputy to my reply below to Parliamentary Question 15254/11 which was put down for answer on Wednesday 15 June 2011. The position remains unchanged and consideration is being given to the issue of the circumstances which may effect a change to the upper age limit for entry to An Garda Síochána.
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by Statutory Regulations, namely the Garda Síochána (Admission & Appointments) Regulations 1988/2005. The recruitment age was considered as recently as 2004 when, on the recommendation of the Garda Commissioner, the maximum recruitment age was increased from 26 to 35 years. This upper age limit of 35 was set having regard to equality legislation and also took into account the following criteria:
    (1) The cost of training
    (2) The need for recruits to serve for a sufficient period of time as full members of the service to recoup this cost.
    (3) The operational requirements of the service in terms of having an age profile appropriate to the physical demands placed on members in the course of their duty. Consideration is being given to changing the upper age limit, in limited circumstances, in a way which would be beneficial to An Garda Síochána. The Deputy will be aware that the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006 already allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.
    LETS HOPE AGE LIMIT GOES UP.THEIR MIGHT BE HOPE FOR ME YET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

when did this come out? if it comes true its some serious news!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jonnie5 wrote: »

Warning for jonnie5: It clearly states in our Forum Charter "# Please refrain from using all CAPITAL LETTERS, this is the Internet equivalent of shouting and can make posts difficult to read."

Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter before posting again.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

you could read through the lines and view it as a backdoor option
    for the reserves to join the fulltimers.
    but having said that the gra would go bananas at the concept..
    we will have to wait and see how it unravels..
    :rolleyes:..

Yea true that, we shall have to wait patiently... but anyone who is a reserve knows all about patients ha ha ha

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Warning for jonnie5: It clearly states in our Forum Charter "# Please refrain from using all CAPITAL LETTERS, this is the Internet equivalent of shouting and can make posts difficult to read."

Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter before posting again.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    sorry for using capital letters,i was not shouting and meant no harm,computer was on caps lock.:)

sorry for using capital letters,i was not shouting and meant no harm,computer was on caps lock.:)

Okay no bother. You might just keep an auld eye on whether the CAPslock is on in the future though ;)

Thanks jonnie5.

The upper age limit for the Met , most Uk police forces and the PSNI is 55 years old so given the recent MOJ's comments it is not unreasonable to think that the powers at be may be thiinking along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, anyone out there using the old baton and not too pushed on change ? I think the asp course sounds too hard ? anyone in the same boat ?

Hi, anyone out there using the old baton and not too pushed on change ? I think the asp course sounds too hard ? anyone in the same boat ?
    asp course not to hard just watch and listen and you will be fine .old baton to big ,i think they will get rid of baton in the futher
    :)

Ah I would definitely recommend you do this ASP training course. It was daunting when we arrived, seriously unsure of what to expect. You just hear so many stories but once you get started; give full attention; and nothing, nothing short of 100%; follow all instructions; you should honestly be grand.

The day will be over before you know it. I hope you apply for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Can anyone tell me if the Garda Representative Association is open to members of the Garda Reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Fegten wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the Garda Representative Association is open to members of the Garda Reserve

Nope. Not at all.
    They are very anti-Reserve and have called for the Garda Reserve to be abolished. Most recently at their annual conference in May.
    The Commissioner and the Minister of Justice issued statement saying that it would not happen and the that GR is here to stay.

While that may be the GRA's view it does not represent their members on the issue, the majority of whom I have met have been supportive and welcoming, though most don't understand why anyone would do the job for free!

• Advertisement

djh wrote: »
    Nope. Not at all.
    They are very anti-Reserve and have called for the Garda Reserve to be abolished. Most recently at their annual conference in May.
    The Commissioner and the Minister of Justice issued statement saying that it would not happen and the that GR is here to stay.

While that may be the GRA's view it does not represent their members on the issue, the majority of whom I have met have been supportive and welcoming, though most don't understand why anyone would do the job for free!

Ok thanks for the info, guess the reserves have to look somewhere else for the 20% discount on iPhones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Fegten wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info, guess the reserves have to look somewhere else for the 20% discount on iPhones :P

??? :eek:
    Tell me more! Is this a discount when you sign up to a contract or when you buy them from apple?

djh wrote: »
    ??? :eek:
    Tell me more! Is this a discount when you sign up to a contract or when you buy them from apple?

http://three.ie/GRA/

Sin É

A big shout-out to the Pennsylvanian State Trooper I met on Thursday, sound man & gave me a nice momento patch too :D

Their official police badge in comparison is bigger than ours, and they have to carry ID cards with them also - the newer version of ID cards has a chip in them (like the chip & pin for our ATM's etc).

"Pennsylvania State Police Call of Honor

I am a Pennsylvania State Trooper, a soldier of the law.

To me is entrusted the honor of the force.
    I must serve honestly, faithfully, and if need be, lay down my life as others have done before me, rather than swerve from the path of duty.

It is my duty to obey the law and to enforce it without any consideration of class, color, creed or condition.

It is also my duty to be of service to anyone who may be in danger or distress, and at all times so conduct myself that the honor of the force may be upheld. "

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

kerry4sam wrote: »
    A big shout-out to the Pennsylvanian State Trooper I met on Thursday, sound man & gave me a nice momento patch too :D

Their official police badge in comparison is bigger than ours, and they have to carry ID cards with them also - the newer version of ID cards has a chip in them (like the chip & pin for our ATM's etc).

"Pennsylvania State Police Call of Honor

I am a Pennsylvania State Trooper, a soldier of the law.

To me is entrusted the honor of the force.
    I must serve honestly, faithfully, and if need be, lay down my life as others have done before me, rather than swerve from the path of duty.

It is my duty to obey the law and to enforce it without any consideration of class, color, creed or condition.

It is also my duty to be of service to anyone who may be in danger or distress, and at all times so conduct myself that the honor of the force may be upheld. "

cringe for you dude!!! your not one of these over eager reserves that all the fulltimers dislike are you ??

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

american state troopers..what the heck has that got to do with being a reserve here in ireland..
    stick to the rules or i will have to contact the moderator..oops arent you kerry 4 sam a moderator..:eek:....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

gotta love the americans!

pity us irish dont take our values as serious as them...........

ha ha well ya gotta have a line...and sometimes we fall a shade under it and they go a mile over it!
    Know the line! ha ha

Are reserves issued with slash proof gloves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Are reserves issued with slash proof gloves?

Yes

Advertisement