Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

did any of yez get new uniform issued to you yet, ours the regulars and reserves is been delivered this week

Iv heard rumours of it online just, no mention of it in station. Is it any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

TylerIE wrote: »
    Iv heard rumours of it online just, no mention of it in station. Is it any different?

Mine is arriving next week (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

did any of yez get new uniform issued to you yet, ours the regulars and reserves is been delivered this week

yez? No, I've not heard. I've been up the walls though so haven't been in, in a while. I hope to be in tomorrow night though so maybe then?!

I'd settle for a radio on my shoulder though. Nothing wrong with the uniform I have right now!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Kerry when you say new uniform what do you mean? is it the Fluorescent jacket with Garda on the cuffs and on the bottom of the jacket?

• Advertisement

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Kerry when you say new uniform what do you mean? is it the Fluorescent jacket with Garda on the cuffs and on the bottom of the jacket?

Same uniform... Just spares I believe ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 XG4M3M45T3RX

Hi Lads,

Just in relation to the Uniform and kit in General, i start my training next weekend ( Phase 1 ) and i was wondering is that when you get messured up for your uniform or how exactly does it work. Also, when you are in the college or during Phase 2 in the station do you were your civies or will we have our uniforms at that point?

I know that you won't be issued with Cuffs, ASP and badge until you pass out, but im not quite sure what way i should dress going down next week

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Lads,

Just in relation to the Uniform and kit in General, i start my training next weekend ( Phase 1 ) and i was wondering is that when you get messured up for your uniform or how exactly does it work. Also, when you are in the college or during Phase 2 in the station do you were your civies or will we have our uniforms at that point?

I know that you won't be issued with Cuffs, ASP and badge until you pass out, but im not quite sure what way i should dress going down next week :eek:

You get measured for uniform next weekend, unless your from Dublin. If your from Dublin they may ask you to attend Stores in Santry to get measured at a later date.

In college for Phase I and in your station for phase II wear civvies.

You get uniforms in Phase III and wear them from then on.

Wear smart casual next week. Some people ignored this, but on your own head be it...

I too was wary of smart casual so rang them. The HR person agreed jeans and a shirt would be ok. Jeans and a smart polo would probably be acceptable. When I was there most people wore something along these lines. Some people wore suits the first day, but its not quite that formal.

I wouldnt recommend wearing sportswear in classes. With senior Members (who are used to students being in uniform) dropping into the classes it may be somewhat disrespectful.

Do bring comfortable sportswear for the PE elements, and if you have a tendency to perspire bring at least 4/5 tee-shirts.

Hi Lads,

I know that you won't be issued with Cuffs, ASP and badge until you pass out, but im not quite sure what way i should dress going down next week :eek:

Okay, first off, welcome to our forum. Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter here.

Next off, you managed to post 9 other messages on boards without using bold font so lay off it here, normal font will be just grand. Thanks!
    TylerIE wrote: »
    You get measured for uniform next weekend, unless your from Dublin. If your from Dublin they may ask you to attend Stores in Santry to get measured at a later date.

In college for Phase I and in your station for phase II wear civvies.

You get uniforms in Phase III and wear them from then on.

Wear smart casual next week. Some people ignored this, but on your own head be it...

I too was wary of smart casual so rang them. The HR person agreed jeans and a shirt would be ok. Jeans and a smart polo would probably be acceptable. When I was there most people wore something along these lines. Some people wore suits the first day, but its not quite that formal.

I wouldnt recommend wearing sportswear in classes. With senior Members (who are used to students being in uniform) dropping into the classes it may be somewhat disrespectful.

Do bring comfortable sportswear for the PE elements, and if you have a tendency to perspire bring at least 4/5 tee-shirts.

As for what you might wear: as Tyler said, smart casual. Now, everybody would have a different interpretation of what that actually is though. I wouldn't say a suit is necessary, although some would. What did you wear for your formal interview? and your interviews with your local Sergeant and Superintendent? Please show the same respect in Templemore. It is well earned by them!

On a side-note re: phase1. It will be on your second day, most likely, that you'll hear where you'll be stationed for your phase2. Try and get to know as many from your phase. You will all be going through the same and it truly is great knowing they're on the other end of a phone or pm here should you have questions you don't want to ask in our public forum.

Good Luck when-ever you do start. It will certainly be memorable, so try and enjoy the experience :)

Lads thanks very much for the feedback, I can rest a bit easier knowing that i wont show up in a full piece tux :)

Really excited about it, been waiting long enough...

One last thing tho, is there anything that i should be aware of that caught any of you guys off Guard ( Pardon the Pun ) that you wish you had known before you started training? More then likely a trial and error situation...

As you can tell i'm not nervous at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lads thanks very much for the feedback, I can rest a bit easier knowing that i wont show up in a full piece tux :)

One last thing tho, is there anything that i should be aware of that caught any of you guys off Guard ( Pardon the Pun ) that you wish you had known before you started training? More then likely a trial and error situation...

Nothing really that I can remember...

Just before you leave your house do the usual check of phone charger, your smart clothes (if going down the night before), trackies, Passport / Driving Licence / passport photos / that form they tell you to bring and Any other needed documentation.

If your a guy, get your hair cut neat both weekends before going down, especially the second one!

Be on time - Your Phase III may be during the snow and Ice - If travelling any distance leave loads of time - the roads the sat nav takes you around Templemore were treacherous in the ice. Sounds obvious but theres always a few who arrive late - and it just puts you off sync for the day.

...:

:D, jeez that humour will serve you well!

Us kerry-folk are never caught off-guard, always prepared and all that! May sound obvious but bring pen & paper, you may want to take notes. I did take notes but seems I was in the very-minority doing it :o

Trial & Error: you will be guided every step of the way once you arrive. Oh! Yes, the map! The Map in the guard-room where they show you where your room is :D:D:mad::D:D

I'm not great at map-reading & It was like a maze for me the first-time I arrived looking for my room. So have fun with that too!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Trial & Error: you will be guided every step of the way once you arrive. Oh! Yes, the map! The Map in the guard-room where they show you where your room is :D:D:mad::D:D

Did you go down the night before your first day? I'm driving from Dublin so wasn't sure if i should leave early or go down the night before!

What are the rooms like? And how many were in your course?

Again, cheers for all the advice lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

Now, the forum is still open to you who wanted my input for the topics raised in PrimeTime.

You're next if you want to be, come on in :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

When was GR on Prime Time? I missed it.

Jaymacc wrote: »
    When was GR on Prime Time? I missed it.

The GR haven’t been on prime-time so you didn’t miss anything there. Their was a Prime-Time show on recently about the retirements in the force; touching on the moratorium and resources etc etc. I was contacted via pm two days before this programme (tbh you didn’t miss anything with what was aired) asking for my opinions; thoughts basicly trying to get me give info on what now just so happens to be the topics that were covered in that tv programme?! I still don’t know what to call what they produced and aired tbh.

I never replied and that message you quoted me on above is just a nice, brief, pleasant, cheeky invite for whoever they are to ask their questions in here for all to read.

:)

@Jaymacc: Got your message, just replied.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Did you go down the night before your first day? I'm driving from Dublin so wasn't sure if i should leave early or go down the night before!

What are the rooms like? And how many were in your course?

Again, cheers for all the advice lads...

1.Time Travel

Im a Dub and I went down the night before

id recommend that for a number of reasons, but the main one being, you get an extra night in Pollys! now im not advocating you go on the large piss, but go in a sip a pint or two and get to know a few of your new colleagues

you have precious little time with them as it is

plus youll also be on time and refreshed for day1

would hate to be rushing down early in the morn and something to go wrong (get lost, tire puncture, terrorist attack)

2. The Rooms

Templemore is refered to as the 'Garda College'. It is infact and renovated army barracks

If you have served in the Irish Defence Forces - the rooms are luxury

If you havnt - you will hate them

I think their luxury. take from that what you will

there will be 30-40 in your class

WilcoOut wrote: »

I think their luxury. take from that what you will

I suppose, no kids running around with guns etc :P
    Definately luxury compared to your normal lodging :P

I stay in the Templemore Arms.... Never liked anyone watching me and my time keeping at night!!

Also, I have done that and got the tee-shirt when it comes to barrack accom... creature comforts for me now (-:

Lads, was just wondering what time is normally a good time to head down at the day before your training?

Also, if anyone is looking for a lift down PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Lads, was just wondering what time is normally a good time to head down at the day before your training?

Also, if anyone is looking for a lift down PM me!

Get there for afternoon so you can get yourself settled into your plush apartment, with on-suite bathroom :D, and colour tv ya want to get the best room there so the early bird as they say.

Then find your way across the road to Pollys and have some grub and a pint or two, but dont over do the beer, as you will need a clear head for the next morning, best of luck now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I stay in the Templemore Arms.... Never liked anyone watching me and my time keeping at night!!

Also, I have done that and got the tee-shirt when it comes to barrack accom... creature comforts for me now (-:

Ya well you are rich, not like us working folks !! :D

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Ya well you are rich, not like us working folks !! :D

Rich in wisdom... Yep, correct ZA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

On my phase 1 and 3 they put us up in the Horse and Jockey hotel. About 25 mins from the college. It was a beautiful hotel.

Big-Mac wrote: »
    On my phase 1 and 3 they put us up in the Horse and Jockey hotel. About 25 mins from the college. It was a beautiful hotel.

What month/year did u get attested? U can pm me the answer if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

When have you been called for?
    When did you get your letter/email?

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,743 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

What month/year did u get attested? U can pm me the answer if you wish.
    Text speak. You're around long enough to know the rules. Friendly reminder, no replies, just don't let it slip in. Ta muchly.

Altezza98 wrote: »
    When have you been called for?
    When did you get your letter/email?

:confused:

Remind me there: how far along the process are you yourself?

Thanks, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

Remind me there: how far along the process are you yourself?

Thanks, :)

I did my medical the start of April, Was told there and then I passed.
    I rang HQ in Dublin mid August to see what the story was, , Was told on the phone I was on a list, She couldnt say were abouts I was but that I should keep an eye on my e-mail for early September, as the next intake was October :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 blake101

Hello everybody

I applied to the Garda reserve during the week and i have a couple of questions for those who may have been through the experience before.

First and foremost, what realistic time frame are we talking about?

Secondly, I work in the Oireachtas(six years) for a private contractor. Will this help/hinder my application?

Thirdly, If i mention in my interview (if i get that far) that i repeated two subjects in my leaving cert in 2007 with the intention of applying to the full time service but the moratorium on recruitment put pay to that idea. Again, will this help/hinder me?

And lastly, I have several years of Kickboxing experience. Ive heard conflicting reports that this could work against me as they may prefer ' a clean slate' regarding any self defense experience.

Hope you guys can help.

Advertisement