Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

is it a like a policy for the reserve to always appear in court to give evidence or is it only when your needed you have to do it?

only when necessary

like when the Garda dealing with the case will need you as a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

lehanemore wrote: »
    only when necessary

like when the Garda dealing with the case will need you as a witness.

Cheers thanks for that, Are in reserves yourself

Cheers thanks for that, Are in reserves yourself

yip

my skipper has encouraged me to go to court to see the carry on

good experience and handy to know the local gougers if you haven't "met" them all

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

yip

good experience and handy to know the local gougers if you haven't "met" them all

Great advice .

Did the same myself just in case I end up having to give evidence. Learned a lot. Bring a note book and listen carefully you will learn a lot

yip

haha i'm not in the reserve but i've been in there watchin the charges and fines been handed out like leaflets ha.
    How many days a week do you get to go on duty?

• Advertisement

haha i'm not in the reserve but i've been in there watchin the charges and fines been handed out like leaflets ha.
    How many days a week do you get to go on duty?

it all depends on the time you have available but normally one saturday evening and one saturday night a month

Ugh the thoughts of stripping off :-(
    that's great! Didn't realise u get told there and then!
    My BR went off on the 5th of June 2009 and they only came through last week!! The wait was awful but I'm so excite now :-)

Was waiting 18 months from application to acceptance but it was worth the wait. The training is tough both physically and mentaliy. Lots of reading but all your instructors will do everything they can to get you through the course. Couple of weekends in the college , 2 evenings per week for legal studies and then you start your operational training in your designated station 40 hours and then graduation.

The first time you put on the uniform and the sense of pride you will feel is unbelieveable.

You will love the whole experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Raider190 wrote: »
    Was waiting 18 months from application to acceptance but it was worth the wait. The training is tough both physically and mentaliy. Lots of reading but all your instructors will do everything they can to get you through the course. Couple of weekends in the college , 2 evenings per week for legal studies and then you start your operational training in your designated station 40 hours and then graduation.

The first time you put on the uniform and the sense of pride you will feel is unbelieveable.

You will love the whole experience

good. I don't mind a bit of hard study! The legal studies two evenings a week - what time would that start at usually? I work mon - fri 9-6 but I don't mind asking for the time off... Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself now better not jinx myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

good. I don't mind a bit of hard study! The legal studies two evenings a week - what time would that start at usually? I work mon - fri 9-6 but I don't mind asking for the time off... Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself now better not jinx myself!

It says two evenings a week but very few from my intake did it that way! Some did all day Sunday for the 6 weeks, some did two full evenings of 3 hours (normally 6-9), and many did a combination of one weekday evening and a weekend day/half day....

Some Training Sergeants will try to work around what suits the students, they are mindful of the fact that the GR is secondary to full time employment for many people. In my area one student often could only get to class 30 minutes late owing to his day job so he usually stayed on at the end to "catch-up" on what he missed... Like I said it varies.

Also depending on your location you may be able to choose another training site for phase 2 that suits better - I heard of Navan Students going to Shankill instead of where they normally would (Drogheda or Mullingar I think)....

lst wrote: »
    It says two evenings a week but very few from my intake did it that way! Some did all day Sunday for the 6 weeks, some did two full evenings of 3 hours (normally 6-9), and many did a combination of one weekday evening and a weekend day/half day....

Some Training Sergeants will try to work around what suits the students, they are mindful of the fact that the GR is secondary to full time employment for many people. In my area one student often could only get to class 30 minutes late owing to his day job so he usually stayed on at the end to "catch-up" on what he missed... Like I said it varies.

Also depending on your location you may be able to choose another training site for phase 2 that suits better - I heard of Navan Students going to Shankill instead of where they normally would (Drogheda or Mullingar I think)....

Sunday sounds good to me!
    I was actually thinking about that, if I live in one town but work in another ten miles away i'd hardly be stationed in the town I work in already! I know everyone, the surgery I work in is very popular and I wouldn't like to do the reserves in the same town!!
    I can't walk down the street without meeting at least 5people I know lol
    if they tried to station me there could it be changed? The other nearest two stations are 20miles away if not more but I wouldn't mind travelling.. I'd be happy to infact!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Sunday sounds good to me!
    I was actually thinking about that, if I live in one town but work in another ten miles away i'd hardly be stationed in the town I work in already! I know everyone, the surgery I work in is very popular and I wouldn't like to do the reserves in the same town!!
    I can't walk down the street without meeting at least 5people I know lol
    if they tried to station me there could it be changed? The other nearest two stations are 20miles away if not more but I wouldn't mind travelling.. I'd be happy to infact!!!

I was referring to your stationing for Phase II - which will usually be in a Divisional or District HQ (where training sergeants are normally based).

Your Phase IV (ie hours observing operational policing) and station post graduation may be different to your phase II station. They will try locate you somewhere other than where you live. However in your situation I would ring Garda HQ sometime during your phase II and inform them that you live in Town X and Work in Town Y and therefore feel it would be inadvisable to work in either.

Regarding travelling 20 miles its grand if needs be but before ringing I would respectfully suggest looking round your area for possible stations within easy driving distance. If your closer it makes it a lot less arduous for you to go on duty for short periods (E.g. summer time after work) and a lot easier, and safer, for you returning home after night duty... It can be a killer doing a 30-40 minute drive home after 8 hours on the beat esp if you have worked the previous day or have work the following day... and then add in the lovely winter weather that may be back next year!

lst wrote: »
    I was referring to your stationing for Phase II - which will usually be in a Divisional or District HQ (where training sergeants are normally based).

Your Phase IV (ie hours observing operational policing) and station post graduation may be different to your phase II station. They will try locate you somewhere other than where you live. However in your situation I would ring Garda HQ sometime during your phase II and inform them that you live in Town X and Work in Town Y and therefore feel it would be inadvisable to work in either.

Yeah I see what you mean!
    Better get this medical over with then worry about what's next!
    I'm also moving into the same town I work in next month so I'm sure the address change will help me in that respect!!

it all depends on the time you have available but normally one saturday evening and one saturday night a month
    And is it busy when your out on patrol? How many how many hours do you work ? Cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

IT COULD BE VERY BUSY AND THEN AGAIN NOTHING MIGHT BE HAPPENING..BUT HAVING SAID THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBBLE WHILE YOU ARE ON DUTY SO BE PREPARED TO EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED AT ANY TIME..SO MAKE THE MOST OF IT WHATEVER HAPPENS..:D..

And is it busy when your out on patrol? How many how many hours do you work ? Cheers for the advice

I think I did about 240 hrs last year.

Is it busy?

well friday night I was in 10 mins early when we had to literally run to an incident where a lad had gone into the river, got him out and had to stop him going back in again, get him into the paddy wagon, deal with a public order incident and bring a prisoner back to the station.

when it calmed down I then had a chance to change into my uniform.

it was ok after that :D

I think I did about 240 hrs last year.

Is it busy?

well friday night I was in 10 mins early when we had to literally run to an incident where a lad had gone into the river, got him out and had to stop him going back in again, get him into the paddy wagon, deal with a public order incident and bring a prisoner back to the station.

when it calmed down I then had a chance to change into my uniform.

it was ok after that :D
    thats the stuff i'm signing up for ha:D

thats the stuff i'm signing up for ha:D

Bilko

Just to clarify , are you saying that you were on duty in plain clothes .I though that this was a big NO NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Bilko

Just to clarify , are you saying that you were on duty in plain clothes .I though that this was a big NO NO

As far as I can see from the original post the poster was only referring to the fact that his/her station is very busy and can kick off at any time. Being on plain clothes duty is not permitted for a Reserve Garda but if an incident occurs and immediate action is required like the original poster described in post then you attend the incident. This would be the same as if you were coming home after a shift in your ordinary clothes and came upon a Garda on duty in some difficulty with a public order issue. You would (I hope) identify yourself and assist that Garda.. That to me is somewhat the same type of situation and NOT a Reserve Garda being on Plain Clothes Duty!!!

Bilko

I wasn't the one in this situation lehanmore was explaining it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

hi all some great stories.....
    im contemplating on wheather to send the forms away im really interested in the guards but i dont fancy waiting this long time........i have my forms filled in where do i send them....would any of ye who have waited is it worth the wait?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

As far as I can see from the original post the poster was only referring to the fact that his/her station is very busy and can kick off at any time. Being on plain clothes duty is not permitted for a Reserve Garda but if an incident occurs and immediate action is required like the original poster described in post then you attend the incident. This would be the same as if you were coming home after a shift in your ordinary clothes and came upon a Garda on duty in some difficulty with a public order issue. You would (I hope) identify yourself and assist that Garda.. That to me is somewhat the same type of situation and NOT a Reserve Garda being on Plain Clothes Duty!!!

massive difference in assisting in plain clothes and undertaking plain clothes duties!

something similar happened to me coming off a night shift where we got an urgent assistance call and a mix match of the night and early unit responded, some in plain clothes, some half blue, some in full uniform

I and 2 others got an earful off our cig for it

not for being in civvies, but for not havin stab vests :)

your colleagues wont care how your dressed once a dangerous situation is dealt with and everyone remains safe

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

I would direct you to the warrant card details - compliments of the Commissioner.

psni wrote: »
    Now that you have all had time out, I am going to post my observations, findings and comments. I am not in AGS and I have no issue with the Garda Reserve. I feel I must state that up front.

First of all, terminology:

Section 3 of the Garda Síochána Act 2005 states:

In this Act... “member”, in relation to the Garda Síochána, means—
    (a) a member of any rank (including the Garda Commissioner) appointed under Part 2 or under an enactment repealed by this Act, and
    (b) a reserve member,

However, this is for the purposes of the Act only, and further down the page is also states:

“reserve member” means a person appointed under section 15 as a
    reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

For the purposes of this forum, and to avoid any ambiguity going forward, a "member" is taken to mean a member of An Garda Síochána who holds the rank of Garda or higher, and a "reserve member" is a person who holds the rank of reserve Garda, and who assists An Garda Síochána on a voluntary basis. There is a difference and this forum will acknowledge the difference.

If an individual has completed the Garda Reserve Training Program they are either a Member of the Garda Reserve, a Garda Reserve, a Reserve Garda or a Reserve Member of An Garda Síochána. The general term that is used in the Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations 2006 is "reserve member".

They are not a Member of An Garda Síochána or a Garda. They are, however, acting in the capacity of a member of An Garda Síochána as a reserve member.

Garda Reserve

As per Section 2 of the Garda Reserve Information Booklet, members of the Garda Reserve are not employees of An Garda Síochána.

Rank

As per Section 10 of the Garda Reserve Information Booklet, this forum recognises that "A person appointed as a reserve member holds the rank of reserve Garda." I know some members dispute that Garda Reserve is a rank, but it's there in black and white, "with the compliments of the Commissioner" on page 1.

Powers

A reserve member has the same powers, immunities, privileges and duties as a person who holds the rank of Garda, however they only patrol in the presence of, and under the supervision of full-time members.

Now that we're all on the same page, this thread will open again tomorrow to give people time to get to grips with the correct terminology for use on this forum.

Anybody who ignores moderator instructions or warnings with be dealt with in accordance with the forum charter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note:
    And I would direct you to read the post again, especially the bit that starts with the crucial words: "For the purposes of this forum"

Bear in mind that this decision was made by me in the capacity of a forum moderator nearly a year ago and I see no reason why it should be changed.

If you wish to discuss this with me in private, you can simply send me a Private Message.

Back on topic please...
    rooger wrote: »
    I would direct you to the warrant card details - compliments of the Commissioner.

rooger wrote: »
    Rooger

Just a correction,

I am a GR member and I dont carry a warrant card (this is a British term) I carry a badge/identification card.

Just to clarify as a GR member we all take the same oath of attestation and sign the same documentation as a full time member when we graduate from the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mister7D

Also Garda Reserves dont have the same powers as full time Gardaí as posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

hi guys.. im currently awaiting the interview with the local super. as it stands im getting abuse from a unknown person claiming i owe him money and he is calling me reminding me of the deadline..( im not involved in circles like this so the intimidating calls are worrying) but my worry is making a complaint of this type will hinder my access to the GR..
    and advise would be marvelous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod Note: Look folks, this thread will NOT, I repeat will NOT be brought off-topic or be used in any way by anybody to stir emotions, antagonize or generally cause internal strife on our Garda Reserve forum. Appropriate action will be taken to anybody who tries to do any of the above. All replies are to be kept on-topic and as normal mod actions are NOT to be discussed on thread.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Do the reserves qualify for pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

why would you get a pension for a voluntary unpaid position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Do the reserves qualify for pension?

hahahaha next joke please :D

Advertisement