Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Well I kinda agree a bit with da-flash... You don't have to lose the head over this ex-members opinion, as I learnt only recentaly that there are current serving members with the same opinion as his... Yes, if you feel strongly about his opinion write to the editor... Point out the inaccurate's in his piece... I do believe that he writes on a regular basis, and do feel that giving a person with an opinionated mind like this guy a soap box is wrong because we do not have the same easy access to his form of expression... It is important to come across when making a point as calm, level headed and fair but most importantly be factually correct even when you are expressing your opinion... To be shocked or stunned as was his article headline leads me to think two things... One he lead a very sheltered life as a member and never saw anything nasty thus he was so easily stunned / shocked or else it was to create more ill feeling out there amount the general public and the serving full time members... His retired ... So, kindly I would ask him to stop causing issues within the community or the force with his so called opinions and start enjoying his retirement and move on.

yes indeed this paper article should be put right by informing its readers of the imperfections that this retired gentleman put on paper..
    but on mature reflection he is a muck stirrer and probarly waiting for more opportunitys to rattle our cage..
    The paper itself is a rag tabloid and if thats the best way that he can find to spend his retirement then well what a waste of leisure time...
    MAYBE HE SHOULD TAKE UP GOLF...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

da__flash wrote: »
    It was written in an opinion column, so therfore it is he opinion no one can change it or make him change his view on it, thats his view and if he wants it so let it be i wouldnt be to worried about it.

I must disagree with some of what you say here... Having an opinion is one thing but as an editor you just can't print it without checking it's factual content and it's worth to print... As an editor you must also weigh up the balance of the impact of such an article. This article is somewhat incorrect and does little to encourage a positive community and workplace enviroment for the Garda Reserve. I feel the tone in which this article was written can only achieve a negetive impact on the Garda Reserve and Garda Reserve concept. We all have opinions but most times we keep it to ourselves as the outcome would only be a negative one on the person/s. I would agree that you shouldn't lose the head over this article but that all's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I must disagree with some of what you say here... Having an opinion is one thing but as an editor you just can't print it without checking it's factual content and it's worth to print... As an editor you must also weigh up the balance of the impact of such an article. This article is somewhat incorrect and does little to encourage a positive community and workplace enviroment for the Garda Reserve. I feel the tone in which this article was written can only achieve a negetive impact on the Garda Reserve and Garda Reserve concept. We all have opinions but most times we keep it to ourselves as the outcome would only be a negative one on the person/s.

Totally agree with you 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    I was actually horrified to read that article in the paper who the hell does he think he is, its not bad enough that we have to put up with it at the stations, but to get it in the paper as well is the last straw, i have emailed the editor who is actually on leave, but there is another person taking there mail so i have sent a email to them, letting them know in now uncertain terms how anti Reserve that article was, and how the facts where twisted and also to say that regular gardi do not smile or have a giggle what a compleat load of utter crap, we are not made of stone we are human after all.

And what he has done is actually got the thumbs up from anti reserve members, and also the good old GRA who never wanted the reserves in the first place, personally myself i think what the reserves had built up over the last 5 or so year's he has destroyed with the touch of a pen.

I urge all reserve members on here that post on here to send an email to the editor like i did and tell them how you feel about the article, and ask them to retract certain items on that article as i have done myself, i will give you the name of the person whom you need to email below in the press office.

cgrady@herald.ie

Please email them as this is the only way this anti reserve crap will be stopped

First of the man is entitled to his opinion, many reserves may not like it, but we must respect us. PJ Browne is was a highly respected member of AGS who was involved in some huge cases, and would know what he's talking about. I'm not going to go running to the mod because of what you wrote offended me, that's just petty. And I Dont see you jumping on Gerry O Carroll for his "Journalism". The only way the Anti Reserve crap will stop is when it get's scrapped or some humongous supply of Anti Reserve powder is placed in the water supply...as long as it's around there will be many who detest it...better to move on and get over i, the let some glorified rag get your tits up..

shampon wrote: »
    First of the man is entitled to his opinion, many reserves may not like it, but we must respect us. PJ Browne is was a highly respected member of AGS who was involved in some huge cases, and would know what he's talking about. I'm not going to go running to the mod because of what you wrote offended me, that's just petty. And I Dont see you jumping on Gerry O Carroll for his "Journalism". The only way the Anti Reserve crap will stop is when it get's scrapped or some humongous supply of Anti Reserve powder is placed in the water supply...as long as it's around there will be many who detest it...better to move on and get over i, the let some glorified rag get your tits up..

I feel like a broken record and i don't really want to be going on about it but, you must question for what reason this article was written. As everybody here knows, there is anti-reserve feelings out there both by full-time members and in the general public. As we don't have the same public profile as a dect. super writting an article about the reserve I would doubt that our words would have the same impact. Skipping over the few small in-correct facts in his article i can only feel that this article has made my workplace environment worse. This former member could in this article influence more people both in the public and in the force to have more of an negative opinion about the reserve. Your workplace as a reserve should not be anyway undermined. You shouldn't have to put up with this anti-reserve crap dished out in anyway but ya i know it happens, but this article can only further undermine what is, a crap situation for some reserves already. I was some what taken back by the article as i do believe he should have known better then this. What's people's opinion now after this article, a well he/she is only a reserve take no notice of them, a bit more crap from the members at your station!! A bit more taunting from people "Yellow packs" etc... Not alone has he managed to make it worse for the reserve's workplace but also brought the persons wearing the uniform of AGS into doubt. Again, if he has an opinion, fine, but leave out the former Det. Super bit at the end of his article so it mightn't give some sort of justification to the people dishing out the crap we put up with now and again. As night been dark and day been bright this article should not have been published. He should have applied his standing in the community better and maybe if i can give him a topic that would be better. "Stunned at the under-funding and cuts in AGS"!!!

• Advertisement

I feel like a broken record and i don't really want to be going on about it but, you must question for what reason this article was written. As everybody here knows, there is anti-reserve feelings out there both by full-time members and in the general public. As we don't have the same public profile as a dect. super writting an article about the reserve I would doubt that our words would have the same impact. Skipping over the few small in-correct facts in his article i can only feel that this article has made my workplace environment worse. This former member could in this article influence more people both in the public and in the force to have more of an negative opinion about the reserve. Your workplace as a reserve should not be anyway undermined. You shouldn't have to put up with this anti-reserve crap dished out in anyway but ya i know it happens, but this article can only further undermine what is, a crap situation for some reserves already. I was some what taken back by the article as i do believe he should have known better then this. What's people's opinion now after this article, a well he/she is only a reserve take no notice of them, a bit more crap from the members at your station!! A bit more taunting from people "Yellow packs" etc... Not alone has he managed to make it worse for the reserve's workplace but also brought the persons wearing the uniform of AGS into doubt. Again, if he has an opinion, fine, but leave out the former Det. Super bit at the end of his article so it mightn't give some sort of justification to the people dishing out the crap we put up with now and again. As night been dark and day been bright this article should not have been published. He should have applied his standing in the community better and maybe if i can give him a topic that would be better. "Stunned at the under-funding and cuts in AGS"!!!

I cant see how this article should not have been published, freedom of the press and freedom of speech are very important, and PJ Browne was'nt talking ****e in his article. He's got the feeling towards the Reserve Spot on, granted there are some glaring errors in his article and it should have been researched more before he put it out, so he is guilty of lazy journalism, but that being said, it's the Herald FFS, I dont think the Times will be employing him in the near future, and what are they going to say at the end of the article? PJ Browne likes Gardening, PJ Browne once won a watch in the plex, or Pj Browne worked before, but now he is retired. Come on.

And the attitude of members is understandable, I have heard horror stories and seen it with my own two eyes of R/Gardai thinking there the cig, giving orders to serving members etc...bull****...granted that's not all but there are some people who view it as superman putting on their red cape and going to fight crime, that type of "I'm the Man" Attitude is stupid and careless. I always remember the advice I was given and that is "Keep your head down, your mouth shut and when the **** hits the fan, get stuck in". The reality is, we are not full time members, we have had training, but not as much as them. I can go on and on about the pros and the cons...but theres no point. The fact is, if a member of the public comes up to and asks you for directions and you stand there scratching your head looking like a clown in a yellow jacket, of course the public are going to have a bad attitude towards you, because you dont know your ****...simple...they would have the same towards a full-time member who does'nt know their **** aswell...

The Fact is money is tight, and the reserve costs what? like 2 million/1 million a year? How many student Gardai is that? between 10/20 on top of normal hiring to replace retired members...how many new cars could AGS buy for that? or Training Courses? or new Equipment?

Let's be realistic about the attitudes towards the reserve by some members and let's be realistic about our own limitations...some people go in with a walter mitty attitude and it's clear from day one, these are the people who are going to bring down all the hard work other R Gardai are doing...the type of people who call for R Gardai to be allowed drive cars...fly helicopters..be armed...have their own tetra radio at home...it boggles my mind sometimes.

Just get on with your life as an R/Garda and ignore what is written in rags...I know I could give two ****s about articles, attitudes, limitation of powers...is'nt people running stuff down just life in general ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

shampon has it all summed up above now...ya'll always get bad apples and when ya find 1 you cant get hung up on it 4 ages. Throw it in the bin and forget about it. (If PJ will fit, throw him in 2!) I reckon we should dis regard the article and move on.

There is restrictions to freedom of Speech... you can't say everything you want to say... and if as a former det. super writes dribble like this and somehow gives some justification to the already crap workplace situation that some reserves experiences by full-time members and the public, that is wrong no matter what right he has to say it... Yes of course move on... i have along long time ago... but i, as like everyone here is just expressing my opinion like he did but with a far less impact on other people, all i am doing now is looking at the bigger picture and the ramifications (maybe big, maybe small) of this article. As for the money spend on the reserves, if people who think that the money saved from disbanding the Reserves would simply go back into AGS is dreaming. Budgets are been striped away and projects been parked up. More than likely it would go into NAMA or some other profit making quango!!!! In every job i have been employed in over my lifetime i have met people who shouldn't be in that position from managers to floorstaff, people in policy making roles and people who follow policy. As for AGS i do think and many people here would agree that singling out the reserve and stating a full time member would not behave like that is somewhat rich to say the least. I like you have two eyes and see things also. I am not for a minute going into a debate on them (full-time members) and us (reserves)... thats wrong and would contribute zero to this discussion. I think now i have written all i have to say on this topic and what i said i stand by. Thinking about the impact on others of your actions whether they are physical or mental, does that come with maturity or age... i don't know. But i would be very much aware of others and what my actions could have on them!!! and not just ramming my opinion down someones throat or insulting them to achieve my aim!!!

I believe that reserves should do extra modules if they wish, so they can get more experience for their role as a reserve guard. If you look at the reserve guard in ireland and it's role and you look at the s/p or part-time police officers worldwide you would say that we aren't been utillised correctly. So a change is needed.

I believe that reserves should do extra modules if they wish, so they can get more experience for their role as a reserve guard. If you look at the reserve guard in ireland and it's role and you look at the s/p or part-time police officers worldwide you would say that we aren't been utillised correctly. So a change is needed.

Yes...it does need to overhauled and clarified. Although this being said I would like to see the training lengthened say part time for a year or two, which may seem like a long time, but in reality future Reserves could have more knowledge and experience before they are released to the public. I feel the training slightly quick for a job that is deadly serious. I think the PSNI have it spot on in there approach. Sadly I believe the Reserve in it's initial guise was rushed, ill thought out and a political exercise and the bullish attitude of Micheal McDowell was properly more to do with the stiff attitude it received.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

fair play to the reserve i know that was working at croker today,( saw her on the sunday game) she was right into the thick of it. the bottle that hit the swt. on the head was right beside her. she acted very well under pressure.

no yellow bag there ;)

Taken from the Evening Herald
    Monday July 12 2010

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/letters-pj-got-it-wrong-2255271.html

The reserves do a great job and they are volunteering their own time unpaid. They train for a lot longer than two weeks and put in time and effort. And, as I understand, when recruiting for full-time gardai, the recruiters look at the reserves first.
    I was really offended when I read Detective PJ Browne's article (Herald, July 6) about the garda reserves. My boyfriend is going for the reserves because he wants to see what it would be like before he thinks seriously about joining the Garda Siochana full time.
    D Smyth Templeogue
    As we can see by the letter above it seems i am not the only person that was offended by PJ Browne's article of the 6th July, and im sure there is a lot more people that feel the same way as i did.

Im just glad they had the courage to air their views just like i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Im just glad they had the courage to air their views just like i did.

How do you mean courage, its not courage to write in and complain, the only thing it shows is some people are more offended by this then others has nothing to do with courage in my opinion

Well what ever you care to call it, at least they did it, you know Ireland is one of the worst place for people to complain, they would rather eat the food or leave the shop, or what ever then complain, i think this trend is changing.

And yes offended by something that was totally untrue, if he even got half of what was printed correctly i would say fair enough, to me it was a total load of cobblers.

oh and yes by courage i meant that they weren't just letting those who are opposed to the reserve think they can say what they like and not hear a word back on it.

yes i am well aware of that fact. Well i for one wasnt bothered about the article, its his thoughts on the subject and hes entitled to them but thats my opinion really to be honest.

yes i am well aware of that fact. Well i for one wasnt bothered about the article, its his thoughts on the subject and hes entitled to them but thats my opinion really to be honest.

OK, I do think we said all that is to be said on this subject... Lets move on before the mods either make us or shut this tread down temp. People have their opinions, great thats excepted, now move on people. Thanks:D

OK, I do think we said all to be said on this subject... Lets move on before the mods either make us or shut this tread down temp. People have their opinions, great thats excepted, now move on people. Thanks:D

Back seat modding at it's best...;)...I think it is time we forget about that feckin article.

OK, I do think we said all that is to be said on this subject... Lets move on before the mods either make us or shut this tread down temp. People have their opinions, great thats excepted, now move on people. Thanks:D

I see NGA has a new apprentice.. :D:cool:

I see NGA has new apprentice.. :D:cool:

:eek: ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

Hey, i know im getting in the way of this argument regarding the article, but would someone be able to tell me if i would fail the medical if my wisdom tooth in the back of my mouth is badly chipped?

• Advertisement

tcd wrote: »
    Hey, i know im getting in the way of this argument regarding the article, but would someone be able to tell me if i would fail the medical if my wisdom tooth in the back of my mouth is badly chipped?

well it depends if the doctor really looks into your mouth. Depends on the day really. If your worried about it i d go see the dentist just to be sure i m sure they could shed some light on it

tcd wrote: »

Don't know really.... but going at it from a different angle, shouldn't you get it extracted anyhow.... only can cause you problems going into the future. If i had to take a judgment guess on it... no, i wouldn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

Hi if there are any serving garda reserves would they be able to comment on my question?
    what is the general level of involvement for reserves on patrol?Say if there is a public order incident are you expected to help out the permanent member of AGS or just wait and watch?I heard rumours that reserves dont really get much powers and are really just there as a presence because they are in uniform? I just want to clarify these issues. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

andrewb123 wrote: »
    Hi if there are any serving garda reserves would they be able to comment on my question?
    what is the general level of involvement for reserves on patrol?Say if there is a public order incident are you expected to help out the permanent member of AGS or just wait and watch?I heard rumours that reserves dont really get much powers and are really just there as a presence because they are in uniform? I just want to clarify these issues. Thank you

YOU help out or get out.....
    does that answer your question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

trail man wrote: »
    YOU help out or get out.....
    does that answer your question..

Yes it sure does answer my question. That's what I though alright but I just wanted to clarify it. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

andrewb123 wrote: »

You mainly watch and be a presence to the Garda you're assigned to, and leave him / her deal with most situations, but if it gets out of hand or an arrest need to be made, you help out. The Gardai on your unit need to know that you are able to back them up if things get tough, and thats how we have built up our respect over the last four years within the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

How can the Gardai expect anyone to have respect for them when they carry on like this AND these are the ones supposed to be showing the high standards to the reserve Gardai - according to the EVENING HERALD ex garda writers anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

rooger wrote: »
    How can the Gardai expect anyone to have respect for them when they carry on like this AND these are the ones supposed to be showing the high standards to the reserve Gardai - according to the EVENING HERALD ex garda writers anyway.....

rooger: This thread is for Garda Reserve members or those in the process of becoming a ReserveGarda. I find this post by you here unhelpful and not in the slightest bit necessary to share.

Their is no need to quote anyone else here in this thread. Your own opinion, once it doesn't break anything in our forum charter and isn't going to goade or rise people for the sake of it, will be welcome here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

You missed the point...
    Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a situation, literary technique, or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance that goes strikingly beyond the most simple and evident meaning of words or actions. Verbal and situational irony is often intentionally used as emphasis in an assertion of a truth.
    Always be aware of the press/photographers. When in the public eye ALWAYS be professional and do not give anyone the chance to ridicule you or what you stand for.
    SO... two forum rules for prospective members - no operational information on the forum and beware of the press setting you up for ridicule.
    Where do you get an application form? M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,743 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Straight away, not liking this attitude towards my co-moderator one bit.

You have no remit to comment on, or add to the forum rules. That's our job.

You've got my attention for all the wrong reasons, so be very careful what you post next.

rooger wrote: »
    You missed the point...
    Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a situation, literary technique, or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance that goes strikingly beyond the most simple and evident meaning of words or actions. Verbal and situational irony is often intentionally used as emphasis in an assertion of a truth.
    Always be aware of the press/photographers. When in the public eye ALWAYS be professional and do not give anyone the chance to ridicule you or what you stand for.
    SO... two forum rules for prospective members - no operational information on the forum and beware of the press setting you up for ridicule.
    Where do you get an application form? M

Advertisement