Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sweeney1982

psni wrote: »
    Yes it's been asked before, and no, you are not at an advantage because you still have to go through all the normal stages of recruitment just like everyone else. It may help when it comes to your interview, but that's about it.

Thanks PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

If you's are ever wondering what the craic is with regards Reserves and prosecuting, see below official procedure :

"As per the Garda Reserve policy and procedure document, 9.4 Policing Powers, states your powers. This includes power to demand production of a certificate of insurance or exemption – section 69 Road Traffic Act. Following on from this, yes you can prosecute. However it is advisable to have your Sergeant apply for the summons and you attend Court as a witness. In this way you will have to spend less time in court away from your full-time job, and can also claim witness expenses as per section 9.10 Expenses relating to court appearances, of the same policy document."

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

clayton1 wrote: »
    If you's are ever wondering what the craic is with regards Reserves and prosecuting, see below official procedure :

"As per the Garda Reserve policy and procedure document, 9.4 Policing Powers, states your powers. This includes power to demand production of a certificate of insurance or exemption – section 69 Road Traffic Act. Following on from this, yes you can prosecute. However it is advisable to have your Sergeant apply for the summons and you attend Court as a witness. In this way you will have to spend less time in court away from your full-time job, and can also claim witness expenses as per section 9.10 Expenses relating to court appearances, of the same policy document."

Don't know how the rest of ye are getting on but my skipper has said he'd support me if I wanted to go down this route:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

lehanemore wrote: »
    Don't know how the rest of ye are getting on but my skipper has said he'd support me if I wanted to go down this route:cool:

costs a day's annual leave from work though.

i was in court the other day for non production of insurance or exemption, i was very nervous TBH as i was the only one in there from my unit or station as a matter of fact. It went down well enough though.

i was also a witness in a case last Winter, after a full timer charged someone for smacking me across the face.

I didn't know i could claim, but i am going to now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

Interesting article in today's Independent here.

Would any of the serving reserves agree with it regarding being underused, no clear plan for reserves etc.?

Has anyone here considered the PSNI after the reserves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Areyoumad

kruger248 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Independent here.

Would any of the serving reserves agree with it regarding being underused, no clear plan for reserves etc.?

Has anyone here considered the PSNI after the reserves?

Very interesting article, As a Garde reserve for a while now there are a couple of significant lines in it

"The PSNI does not have such a limit and decides on recruits on the basis of ability and fitness as opposed to age."

In other words the Gardai will happily let you do it for free but not full time, maybe because of their pension scheme.

And

"The last intake to the gardai is understood to have contained no reservists and had an unusually large number of recruits with family members already serving in the force".
    Well no s*it Sherlock but if I was accepted and was waiting to go to Templemore and was high on the list and saw that someone behind me on that list was accepted because of pull than I would be asking serious questions of Garda HR and get my local TD on to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonnie5

will the garda siochana lift the age limit,like psni what do you think.are reserves useing peper spray after training and the tetra radios.would like to know.:)

Not a hope in hell, This question has been raised in the Dail on numerous occasions by deputies from all parties, including FF, in fact it was only raised last week, see below. The main reason for this is because of the current Garda Pension Set up, there is no way in hell that the GRA will let this be changed. It allows for someone to retire after 25 years service with reduced pension and 30 for full pension.

Remember it is the Gardai you are asking this of, where common sense is left at the gates of Templemore

Wednesday, 18 May 2010
    Proposed Legislation
    358. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his plans to introduce amending legislation on the matter of the age restrictions as pertaining to An Garda Síochána, with particular reference to recruitment and retirement ages; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20473/10]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The recruitment age for entry to An Garda Síochána was considered as recently as 2004 when, on the recommendation of the Garda Commissioner, the maximum recruitment age was increased from 26 to 35 years. The standard retirement age in An Garda Síochána is 60 years of age. I have currently no plans to amend either the recruitment or the retirement age.

jonnie5 wrote: »
    will the gardai siochana lift the age limit,like psni what do you think.are reserves useing peper spray after training and the tetra radios.would like to know.

We have done the training on the OC Spray and the Tetra radios but we are not issued either. We have to borrow a radio when we are sent out.

Areyoumad wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell, This question has been raised in the Dail on numerous occasions by deputies from all parties, including FF, in fact it was only raised last week, see below. The main reson for thsi is because of teh current Garda Pension Set up, ther is no way in hell that the gRA wil lle tthis be changed. It allows for someone to retire after 25 years service with reduced pension and 30 for full pension.

Remember it is the Gardai you are asking this of, where common sense is left at the gates of Templemore

Wednesday, 18 May 2010
    Proposed Legislation
    358. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his plans to introduce amending legislation on the matter of the age restrictions as pertaining to An Garda Síochána, with particular reference to recruitment and retirement ages; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20473/10]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The recruitment age for entry to An Garda Síochána was considered as recently as 2004 when, on the recommendation of the Garda Commissioner, the maximum recruitment age was increased from 26 to 35 years. The standard retirement age in An Garda Síochána is 60 years of age. I have currently no plans to amend either the recruitment or the retirement age.
    thanks for that areyoumad

• Advertisement

Not a hope in hell, This question has been raised in the Dail on numerous occasions by deputies from all parties, including FF, in fact it was only raised last week, see below. The main reason for this is because of the current Garda Pension Set up, there is no way in hell that the GRA will let this be changed. It allows for someone to retire after 25 years service with reduced pension and 30 for full pension.

Wednesday, 18 May 2010
    Proposed Legislation

And just to add to this:

Written answers
    Tuesday, 23 March 2010
    Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
    Garda Recruitment
    Seán Connick (Minister of State with special responsibility for Fisheries and Forestry, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food; Wexford, Fianna Fail)
    Question 409: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if the maximum age for recruitment to the Garda Síochána will increase in conjunction with the increase in the entitlement age to State pension; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12276/10]
    Tommy Broughan (Dublin North East, Labour)
    Question 417: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on whether the forced retirement of members of the gardaí at 60 years of age should be abolished in view of the recent decision on the retirement age; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12348/10]
    Question 418: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on whether the maximum recruitment age to the Garda Síochána of 35 years should be abolished in view of the recent decision on the retirement age; if the new retirement age of 68 years will mean that members of the Garda Síochána will now be allowed to serve a longer period of time; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12349/10]
    Question 419: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if in view of the recent decision on the retirement age he and the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána will review the ongoing current legal proceedings they have undertaken against the Equality Tribunal to try to stop the Equality Tribunal investigating alleged age discrimination in the Garda Síochána relating to the recruitment and retirement ages in the Garda Síochána; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12350/10]
    Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)
    I propose to take Questions Nos. 409 and 417 to 419, inclusive, together.
    Recruitment in An Garda Síochána is governed by Statutory Regulation namely, the Garda Síochána (Admission & Appointments) Regulations 1988/2005. The recruitment age was considered as recently as 2004 when, on the recommendation of the Garda Commissioner, the maximum recruitment age was increased from 26 to 35 years. This was made by Statutory Instrument 749/2004 which amended regulation 164 of 1988.
    This upper age limit of 35 was set having regard to equality legislation and also took into account the following criteria:
    (1) The cost of training
    (2) The need for recruits to serve for a sufficient period of time as full members of the service to recoup this cost.
    (3) The operational requirements of the service in terms of having an age profile appropriate to the physical demands placed on members in the course of their duty.
    There are no plans to change the upper age limit for recruitment to An Garda Síochána at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Wednesday, 18 May 2010
    Proposed Legislation

I have an opinion they will. Their going to have too. Something to do with EU employment law and equality. I might be wrong but I belive the age limit will be lifted at some stage. I myself am going to hold out. I've no option. Live in hope I guess! I've applied for the AGS Reserve force.
    I had'nt Irish from the leaving cert and when they did abolish this silly rule I had just passed 35. I'm a graduate and very fit. I reckon I'd be a lot fitter than some recruits under 35. (If I did get in I could still have 25 years + of service to give to AGS). I work in a role where I deal with the public every day and I feel my background/education/esperience would be very favourable for AGS.
    I did appply for the PSNI, passed the initial exam but did'nt take it any further. I heard a lot of bad stories about Catholice recruits there and frankly I find Northern Ireland like a different country. I don't think I could work up there. Sad to say I guess.
    Even the Australian military have a higher age limit than AGS ( i know because I was an Army Officer candaidate there but decided to return to the old sod). If the streets of old Ireland are more dangerous that the streets of Iraq and Afghanistan then I'll eat my hat. I think this age limit of 35 for AGS is antiquated and does of course discriminate. That's my twopence anyway!

anybody working for the irish derby in the curragh on 27 june.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

jonnie5 wrote: »
    anybody working for the irish derby in the curragh on 27 june.:)

Anybody doing the jp mc manus golf stint in the manor grounds adare in june..:D..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strad101

Folks,

I am doing some research into the Garda Reserve in particular why people would join, I realise that there are strategic reasons for people joining, e.g: as a way into the regular force, but for those of you who have no such ambitions, why do you volunteer for this type of work? Any comments, observations, analysis would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

some reserves got caught on camera in adare while volunteerung to help out at the charity event..no doubt they got a telling off from their super after by all accounts putting in over 24hrs over the 2 days in the spirit of volunteering..
    in last nights evening herald a retired garda and now a writer for the herald called the reserves poorly trained yellow packs..
    any thoughts on the comments...:eek:....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

trail man wrote: »
    some reserves got caught on camera in adare while volunteerung to help out at the charity event..no doubt they got a telling off from their super after by all accounts putting in over 24hrs over the 2 days in the spirit of volunteering..
    in last nights evening herald a retired garda and now a writer for the herald called the reserves poorly trained yellow packs..

He never had any time for the reserves, if he had his way we'd be no more!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corky70

i think ye are right no matter what the reserves do there is always someome to put them down it is wearing thin at this stage i am a reserve for the last 2 years and am getting sick of people still making comments you think as we are around since 2006 they would get over it !! sorry rant over :O)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Well done to all the lads who were on duty in Adare. I was nice to walk in to my local shop last night and see all the GR's on the front page of every paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

its just like england winning the world cup in 66 they are just going to keep on about it at ever opportunity :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

I know i shouldn't talk about it, but, after 3 years in the Reserves i had my first face to face experience with a full time member who didn't leave me in no doubt whatsoever that his respect for reserves is below zero. I didn't start the conversation as i stay well away from the subject of opinions on reserves with full time members but my God what a rude individual, if he behaved that way to me i could only think what is he like the other times. Sorry, but i had to have a little rant because he made me for a while have a very poor opinion on full time members, but i know, not everyone is like him. Keep up the spirits if you ever meet people like him and just walk away like i did.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/pj-browne-photos-of-tigers-giggling-gardai-left-me-stunned-2247567.html

This is the newspaper report web-page that this retired Garda wrote.....

On reading it in brief i wonder does he know how much training we do?? My training was done over a 6 month period Phase 1 - 4 and i did study at home also (law side and you are always learning more when you are on duty)... Also, i am sure that as a retired member he might not be aware of the change in the 2 year period for full time members coming in to the force now. It is back to 1.5 years with Full powers been given after 30 weeks instead of the 58 weeks before and the old format of 5 phases is now replaced with only 3 phases. It's a pity that the facts weren't reported fairly!! I won't even go there with the comment made about a Garda giggling!!!! Stone faced and a none approachable look on their faces may have been the way for Gardai to behave before, but i would always like to see a more human Garda in front of me than the one some people believe should be, True, you can't really be smiling and giggling in certain situations but at a charity event where the mood is light.... come on.... Theres more news of substance instead of this out there to write about, really!!!

This is the web-page explaining the changes made to new full-time members recruiting now:

http://www.humanrights.ie/index.php/2010/06/16/garda-retirement-recruitment-and-training-plans/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Its strange, I'm in the middle of training and from the college to the station Ive been in for the law lectures they've to a man and woman been absolutely sound to us. They do all think we're nuts to be doing it for free but have admiration also for our willingness to help out and give our time. Within stations where there is a history of Reserves working there the perception seems to be positive. Full time member friends of mine who were vehemently against the idea have completely changed their minds and are now behind the concept. They acknowledge that there are some reserves that are not up to scratch but also admit that the same is true for some full timers. The Gardai that have been training us have said that its really only the older Gardai close to retirement who cant get their head around the concept of the reserve.

I feel that I'm not automatically entitled to the respect of the full timers that I'll work with but will have to prove my worth to them like I would in any job that I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I know i shouldn't talk about it, but, after 3 years in the Reserves i had my first face to face experience with a full time member who didn't leave me in no doubt whatsoever that his respect for reserves is below zero. I didn't start the conversation as i stay well away from the subject of opinions on reserves with full time members but my God what a rude individual, if he behaved that way to me i could only think what is he like the other times. Sorry, but i had to have a little rant because he made me for a while have a very poor opinion on full time members, but i know, not everyone is like him. Keep up the spirits if you ever meet people like him and just walk away like i did.

After 3 years only one negative confrontation is pretty good odds by any standards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I was actually horrified to read that article in the paper who the hell does he think he is, its not bad enough that we have to put up with it at the stations, but to get it in the paper as well is the last straw, i have emailed the editor who is actually on leave, but there is another person taking there mail so i have sent a email to them, letting them know in now uncertain terms how anti Reserve that article was, and how the facts where twisted and also to say that regular gardi do not smile or have a giggle what a compleat load of utter crap, we are not made of stone we are human after all.

And what he has done is actually got the thumbs up from anti reserve members, and also the good old GRA who never wanted the reserves in the first place, personally myself i think what the reserves had built up over the last 5 or so year's he has destroyed with the touch of a pen.

I urge all reserve members on here that post on here to send an email to the editor like i did and tell them how you feel about the article, and ask them to retract certain items on that article as i have done myself, i will give you the name of the person whom you need to email below in the press office.

cgrady@herald.ie

Please email them as this is the only way this anti reserve crap will be stopped

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    I was actually horrified to read that article in the paper who the hell does he think he is, its not bad enough that we have to put up with it at the stations, but to get it in the paper as well is the last straw, i have emailed the editor who is actually on leave, but there is another person taking there mail so i have sent a email to them, letting them know in now uncertain terms how anti Reserve that article was, and how the facts where twisted and also to say that regular gardi do not smile or have a giggle what a compleat load of utter crap, we are not made of stone we are human after all.

And what he has done is actually got the thumbs up from anti reserve members, and also the good old GRA who never wanted the reserves in the first place, personally myself i think what the reserves had built up over the last 5 or so year's he has destroyed with the touch of a pen.

I urge all reserve members on here that post on here to send an email to the editor like i did and tell them how you feel about the article, and ask them to retract certain items on that article as i have done myself, i will give you the name of the person whom you need to email below in the press office.

cgrady@herald.ie

Please email them as this is the only way this anti reserve crap will be stopped

It was written in an opinion column, so therfore it is he opinion no one can change it or make him change his view on it, thats his view and if he wants it so let it be i wouldnt be to worried about it.

Well regardless of what he said it should have been screened first to see was it the truth which its not, and he should have got his facts straight not just write anything he feels like, would he write same article if it had been a full time member very much doubt it to me its anti reserve and that is my opinion.

Well regardless of what he said it should have been screened first to see was it the truth which its not, and he should have got his facts straight not just write anything he feels like, would he write same article if it had been a full time member very much doubt it to me its anti reserve and that is my opinion.

how can you screen someones opinion as it was not targeted at anyone in particular just the overall organistion?! Thats what he thought and he put pen to paper and then it was placed in the opinion section also isnt an opinion something you feel strongly about so he can write it if he feels like it. He was a full time member he's an ex-Det Super as it says down the bottom so i m sure he has so idea as he got to that position i m not saying his opinion is right by any means. O yes your totally initialed to your opinion and i acknowledge it and understand it. But I m sure reserves across the country have all heard worse and dealt with worse at this and at this stage its water off a ducks back its not goin to make any slight bit of difference what he says about the reserves. Sure if you if everyone was to flip the lid at every comment made i think there would be very few people working. My opinion take it as you will

i take your opinion on board, but as a retired member he should well know what that article would do that is why it was done, and regardless of what you feel or anybody else i have done what i thought best for me, so if people dont want to do anything well ............ that is there prerogative as well all im doing is voicing my opionion, and giving them the details if they so wish to email the paper in question.

• Advertisement

i take your opinion on board, but as a retired member he should well know what that article would do that is why it was done, and regardless of what you feel or anybody else i have done what i thought best for me, so if people dont want to do anything well ............ that is there prerogative as well all im doing is voicing my opionion, and giving them the details if they so wish to email the paper in question.

Well I kinda agree a bit with da-flash... You don't have to lose the head over this ex-members opinion, as I learnt only recentaly that there are current serving members with the same opinion as his... Yes, if you feel strongly about his opinion write to the editor... Point out the inaccurate's in his piece... I do believe that he writes on a regular basis, and do feel that giving a person with an opinionated mind like this guy a soap box is wrong because we do not have the same easy access to his form of expression... It is important to come across when making a point as calm, level headed and fair but most importantly be factually correct even when you are expressing your opinion... To be shocked or stunned as was his article headline leads me to think two things... One he lead a very sheltered life as a member and never saw anything nasty thus he was so easily stunned / shocked or else it was to create more ill feeling out there amount the general public and the serving full time members... His retired ... So, kindly I would ask him to stop causing issues within the community or the force with his so called opinions and start enjoying his retirement and move on.

Advertisement