Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

da__flash wrote: »
    o ya is that the folens colouring book, i m stuck on page 45 its a tricky one:D:cool:

aaah, I bet you didn't use the white crayon

all year I wondered what it was for

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Yes that is why they are no keeping tabs on reserve members who are active, and any reserves that have not been in for a long, or no longer come in they are sending Garda personal out to collect their uniforms.

New books have appeared in stations now that reserves fill in on each tour of duty.

how long exactly is it before they call out to collect your uniform, if you have not been calling in for duty?

Is there anything written in stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Not fully sure about that part, but im sure if you are not turning up at any point they are wondering where you are, if i miss a couple of weeks they are always joking where have you been thought you had left. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

lehanemore wrote: »
    aaah, I bet you didn't use the white crayon

all year I wondered what it was for

yes i have got it i m now on page 47 and even more lost i have to say its quiet hard because my pencilx broke and i cant find the pencil sharpener :D haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Oh i see, and dose anyone know any good busy stations in the louth area were you would be kept busy as a GR! And dose anyone want to post some good stories and things they seen and experienced on duty( without implicating anyone/laws):pac:

Drogheda or Dundalk, great towns for gougers :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Just joined this week and was grateful for this board and the GR forum when I was in the process of joining the Garda Reserve.

Have to say I love every minute of it. Am working with a terrific unit. Was welcomed from the first day by the individual members , sargents , inspectors and even the DO's.

For all of you who are in the process of applying and are frustrated with the long wait , be patient its well worth the wait and when you get the green light there is such a sense of achievement it is unbelievable.

It is only then that the real work and dedication begins and remember its all new and nobody expects you to know it all. It a steep learning curve and when in doubt 'ASK THE QUESTION'. You will find people only to willing to help and advise you. Dont be afraid to make mistakes.

Guys,

There is an important aspect to consider when you start Phase 4 and commence your operational training and that is the ' Slagging and p*** taking culture'. The simple rule is that if you can not take a joke you shouldnt have taken the job. Everyone get slagged both full time member and reserve alike. As a reserve you will get your fair share of leg pulling so be prepared to give as good as you get and take it in your stride. It will make you part of the team. So dont take the hump , just laugh it off and join in.

The main thing is to not take yourself too serious when interacting with your fellow unit members. The jokes and good humoured banter relieves the tension and if you do it right will smooth your way into the unit. The more time you spend with fellow unit members , the more the trust builds and in the end this is a big aspect of the job. After all if you are on the beat ,the biggest thing is that you know that your partner will back you up if a tricky situation arises.

In my expererience you need to be prepared to assist no matter what happens and that means getting hands on and not standing back. Trust your training and common sense. After 90% of all policing duties is common sense.

From my own prespective , started on my unit in July and have learnt so much since then it is unbelievable and still have so much more to learn. Every 8 hour shift I completed I come away with somthing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

or if your from Louth you may be placed outside your district so depending on your location Navan, Carrickmacross or Monaghan - each of which is busy in its own right. Ashbourne I'm not sure about and I imagine Ardee probably wouldnt get a GR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ all Reserves: are you attached to 1 unit or do you come in whenever you are available to come in, irrespective of which unit is on duty?

If not assigned to any 1 unit in particular - do you find it a drawback or do you find advantages to both options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

AFAIK most reserves I know have a unit.

The majority of those who were at the recent dinner in Tullamore would be in a similar position. Although most I spoke to and those, who are in the follow up emails that are now being cc'd, have units, some had a unit but would occasionally work with another unit, e.g. attached to A but will work with B occasionally.

Anecdotally it would seem that the few I know who do not have a unit do not have such a good experience. I dont know if this is the stations are not so welcoming to reserves or if its as its harder to build a rapport when working with so many different people, or (most likely!) a combination of the above.

yeah Kerry, get onto one unit and stay pretty much with them from there on.

are you doing your 40 hrs?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    @ all Reserves: are you attached to 1 unit or do you come in whenever you are available to come in, irrespective of which unit is on duty?

If not assigned to any 1 unit in particular - do you find it a drawback or do you find advantages to both options?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

yeah Kerry, get onto one unit and stay pretty much with them from there on.

are you doing your 40 hrs?

Cheers lehanemore, I'm starting my training on the 4th but just wondering for when it comes around.

Raider190 wrote: »
    Guys,

There is an important aspect to consider when you start Phase 4 and commence your operational training and that is the ' Slagging and p*** taking culture'. The simple rule is that if you can not take a joke you shouldnt have taken the job. Everyone get slagged both full time member and reserve alike. As a reserve you will get your fair share of leg pulling so be prepared to give as good as you get and take it in your stride. It will make you part of the team. So dont take the hump , just laugh it off and join in.

The main thing is to not take yourself too serious when interacting with your fellow unit members. The jokes and good humoured banter relieves the tension and if you do it right will smooth your way into the unit. The more time you spend with fellow unit members , the more the trust builds and in the end this is a big aspect of the job. After all if you are on the beat ,the biggest thing is that you know that your partner will back you up if a tricky situation arises.

In my expererience you need to be prepared to assist no matter what happens and that means getting hands on and not standing back. Trust your training and common sense. After 90% of all policing duties is common sense.

From my own prespective , started on my unit in July and have learnt so much since then it is unbelievable and still have so much more to learn. Every 8 hour shift I completed I come away with somthing new.

what a fantastic post!

I couldnt agree more with what has been said above

the banter on units is much different to most work places. the gardai is a unique job so it will be different to most work environments

slagging and practical jokes are the norm. Makes the job all the more enjoyable in my opinion.

Phase 4 is daunting enough. your hoping you know your law and powers, your nervous about whats going to happen and how your going to deal with it and your also trying to make an impression on your fulltime member colleagues. If you get a bit of slagging over something you did, dont take it as 'oh they hate me, im usesless, ill never be accepted'. Youll be much better off by laughing it off and maybe poking a bit of fun at them. you'll get more respect for that

anyone who has worked on abuilding sit for example should have no hassles with this! its quite similar

however, in saying that, if your getting slagged for bottling it in a situation or taking a backseat in a heated argument, your in trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

kerry4sam wrote: »

Usually attached to a unit..
    Advantages: They get to know you and you get to know them: The Trust factor.
    Disadvantages: You have to follow their hours / shifts and that weekend they are on might not suit you.. You can cross units to get the hours in (208 per year) but i know some reserves don't like crossing into other units!

Agree with Munster. Have found it better to work with one unit. You get to know them and they get to know you enhancing the trust factor with your unit , skipper and kig.

The rosters are difficult but in the end have found it better to stick with one unit.

Clocking up the hours is easy enough , amazed at how many i have managed to get in since July. Early change overs are tough if your working two days in row.

Spartan09 wrote: »
    The hardest part for me personally was standing on the steps outside the station on the first evening of phase 4 as I was cacking it, first time in uniform and actually out on the streets, going up to the front desk and asking for the Sgt was terrifying but in reality there was nothing worth being nervous about, they were incredibly supportive on the first night. The first night coincidentally turned out to be the busiest and maddest night Ive had so far, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Physically the baton training hurt like hell the few days afterwards, couldnt move my arms without pain for days afterwards but again it was great craic and really enjoyed it so the pain was worth it....!

Spartan has it right, the baton training is tough especially the final test. Was first in and the instructor was fresh as a daisy so got a tough going over. Left the college and got home to find I had dislocated my shoulder during the exercise. The pain of it going back in was somthing else but still worth it to have completed Phase 3 successfully

lst wrote: »
    AFAIK most reserves I know have a unit.

The majority of those who were at the recent dinner in Tullamore would be in a similar position. Although most I spoke to and those, who are in the follow up emails that are now being cc'd, have units, some had a unit but would occasionally work with another unit, e.g. attached to A but will work with B occasionally.

Anecdotally it would seem that the few I know who do not have a unit do not have such a good experience. I dont know if this is the stations are not so welcoming to reserves or if its as its harder to build a rapport when working with so many different people, or (most likely!) a combination of the above.

For all of those reserves who have not had the good welcome some of us had when they arrive in their station I would advise perserverance. Take it one step at a time. Full time members are bound to be curious and maybe stand offish but give it time. Like us all ,who have completed Phase 4 you are joining a well established team and it takes time to intergrate. When I joined my unit ,the rumour was that I was a journalist , a novelist reseaching a new book and even a secret millionaire.
    My advice is be as open as you can with your full time colleagues , be yourself, be honest and take the jokes the way they are intended 'in good humour', Within a couple of weeks and a couple of 8 hour shifts you will be considered as the lads put it ' a good bit of stuff'.

Dont get disillusioned remember the amount of time you have dedicated to getting this far , the long wait to join and the training hours so keep going.In the end the rewards outweigh the hard work

Raider190 wrote: »
    . Full time members are bound to be curious and maybe stand offish but give it time.

I was told to my face by a few of the lads that they were sussing me out for a while to see what sort i was!

this happens to everyone that comes onto the unit, regardless of fulltime or reserves, trust me

my advice is to get your 40hours done quick and fast, keep your hand in it and get yourself known.(even at that, do way more than your 40hours) nothing worse than having to reintroduce yourself everyshift!

Funnily enough, the word 'journalist' seems to be a bad one round stations! im a GR 12months now and when im introduced to lads from other units or other stations (while on duty or socially) i always tell them im a journalist for the sunday world. their faces do be priceless!

Can anyone tell me why a Reserve Garda cannot 'officially' be an observer in a patrol car?

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why a Reserve Garda cannot 'officially' be an observer in a patrol car?

Because it's the rules!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Dont know. I was told that we could be asked to observe if we were short staffed in the station.
    Confused as to why you have to be "officially" able to observe in a patrol car to do so, you do the same thing anyway except your in the back!

Because it's the rules!:D

Only joking! I would say because of the reserves limited powers of arrest and care of prisoners, if an arrest was made, the garda is driving the car so that leaves you in care of the prisoner, a BIG no no, according to A.G.S. But in saying that it's only an educated guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Only joking! I would say because of the reserves limited powers of arrest and care of prisoners, if an arrest was made, the garda is driving the car so that leaves you in care of the prisoner, a BIG no no, according to A.G.S. But in saying that it's only an educated guess!

sounds like a good reason.

It probably differs from station to station but I'm normally tasked with being observer because otherwise the Garda would be going out alone.

It probably differs from station to station but I'm normally tasked with being observer because otherwise the Garda would be going out alone.

oh jesus yeah, its been done, and iv done it too

but im asking why its offcially forbidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Could be insurance reasons just a guess ha

Could be insurance reasons just a guess ha

nah were full insured while on duty regardless (just aslong as were not drivin the car!)

I know the GRA have a horn over the issue of Reserve observers but does anyone know if its a HQ decision or just paying heed to the GRA?

nah were full insured while on duty regardless (just aslong as were not drivin the car!)

I know the GRA have a horn over the issue of Reserve observers but does anyone know if its a HQ decision or just paying heed to the GRA?

I've never heard of it being forbidden, it's a standard practice where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

is it a like a policy for the reserve to always appear in court to give evidence or is it only when your needed you have to do it?

Advertisement