Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I'm very sorry to hear about Shannonsider's injury and have a great deal of sympathy for his situation considering his career and livelihood is at an end because of an injury in the defence of the state and I wish him well for his recovery and his future as he could be any one of my friends who are full time members of AGS.

However I also agree with posters who have stated that because of the alleged inaction of one reserve in this incident the collective reputation of the entire reserve should not be tarnished. I have friends from Garda to Sergeant to Inspector level who in the early years were against the concept of the reserve on a number of levels but now that they have had the opportunity to work alongside them, they have all come fully around to the idea and are supportive of having reserves working alongside the full time fully trained members.

I look forward to the opportunity to work alongside the brave members of AGS and am willing to contribute in any way possible which aids the full time members in the defence of the state and the protection of the general public. I have no qualms about putting myself in the face of potential danger if my full time colleague is facing the same dangers and am fully appreciative of the risks which come alongside the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to hear about Shannonsider's injury and have a great deal of sympathy for his situation considering his career and livelihood is at an end because of an injury in the defence of the state and I wish him well for his recovery and his future as he could be any one of my friends who are full time members of AGS.

However I also agree with posters who have stated that because of the alleged inaction of one reserve in this incident the collective reputation of the entire reserve should not be tarnished. I have friends from Garda to Sergeant to Inspector level who in the early years were against the concept of the reserve on a number of levels but now that they have had the opportunity to work alongside them, they have all come fully around to the idea and are supportive of having reserves working alongside the full time fully trained members.

I look forward to the opportunity to work alongside the brave members of AGS and am willing to contribute in any way possible which aids the full time members in the defence of the state and the protection of the general public. I have no qualms about putting myself in the face of potential danger if my full time colleague is facing the same dangers and am fully appreciative of the risks which come alongside the role.
    Well said. I wish him all the best. And I know it's hard not to generalise blame based on a specific incident.

I just hope we can all help out at some point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

I would like to say that the fact of the regular member (shannonsider 1) who has been hospitalised due to the in-action of a reserve member (his words) can't be verified as true or is even a member of AGS, and until such time that it can be verified than it should be treated with suspicion. Only a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,

Just to say that as a GR for 2 years now I still wonder is it working ?

To be honest if the reserves could study modules which after completion and passing an exam could then have more responsibility this could be great, at the moment the dutys are too few, many times I feel like a spare so and so when on duty, this is frustrating as in My fulltime job I can make decisions and take control if I need to, I am not looking for "Power" as some may think, I just want to be a valued part of the team, even after 2 yrs I do not feel I am, the people I work with are fine, but its hard to feel good when you have no real part to play, other then just giving your prescence, I think after my 2 yrs now I may leave soon, however I still believe it is a good experience for life experience and excellent for anyone considering full time, its just a pity it has no real future from a progression point of view.

Hi,

To be honest if the reserves could study modules which after completion and passing an exam could then have more responsibility this could be great, at the moment the dutys are too few, many times I feel like a spare so and so when on duty, this is frustrating as in My fulltime job I can make decisions and take control if I need to, I am not looking for "Power" as some may think, I just want to be a valued part of the team, even after 2 yrs I do not feel I am, the people I work with are fine, but its hard to feel good when you have no real part to play, other then just giving your prescence, I think after my 2 yrs now I may leave soon, however I still believe it is a good experience for life experience and excellent for anyone considering full time, its just a pity it has no real future from a progression point of view.

Pretty much sums it up in around 80% of the time.. The only time you feel somewhat helpful is when a fight breaks out and your there to lend a hand. Other than that Road Check points, and minor public order you do feel like a spare... Hopefully the people on the top might have a good long hard look at this and as the poster said after a certain length of time with a certain amount of courses behind you, your ability to work more in the unit as a person might increase.. thus having a real impact on the units workload as a whole.. and benefiting the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Hi,

Nail on the head!

But at the end of the day, the Gov are making such a saving having a Reserve that it will be kept till money is found again.
    The money they'll save by scrapping it, would be nothing compared to the money lost.

The Reserve is basically to increase numbers, the Gov would be better off training fully trained full time members!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Nail on the head!

But at the end of the day, the Gov are making such a saving having a Reserve that it will be kept till money is found again.
    The money they'll save by scrapping it, would be nothing compared to the money lost.

The Reserve is basically to increase numbers, the Gov would be better off training fully trained full time members!

Ahh where back to this again, did not take long for this to come out of the woodwork "again” ... rock on the be grudgers why people are so set against the reserves i dont know, the Government wants’ the reserves why do you think they are still recruiting, and the intake this year has actually increased to 4 intakes so what does that go to show, they can, and do actually work well together regardless of the frantic effort to get them disbanded, it seems to me that some feel threatened by them for what reason I cant understand, it works quite well in the Uk i.e. ( Police Specials, PCSO) but I suppose this is Ireland and some people are petty minded, we need to move forward not backward after all this is the 21st century and things change, why not the police force.

They will be kept even when the money is found, otherwise what would have been the point, there will always be savings to be made no matter what, and there will always be demonstrations, parades, road blocks, football matches, free flow, ect where extra resources are always needed, compared to the costs of overtime over a 12 month period.

And if they did increase the reserves powers to include, fcps etc any extra revenue which would be generated over the year, could in turn be used to off set the costs of training and uniforms for reserves over a 12 month period, if people where to add up the amount of hours that reserves actually do, how much money do you think the Government actually save, compared to what the cost saving over a 12 months period for a full time member, including overtime, expenses, rent allowance etc.

Do the maths’s below and see exactly what the savings are

Once 58 weeks training are successfully completed, Student Gardaí are attested & go onto (at today’s rates) €25,792 per annum + Rent allowance (paid to all those attested) of €4,162.48 per annum.
    22 weeks after attestation salary rises to €28,357 (from €25,792) & one year later (i.e. after the 22 week point) salary rises to €29,925 + Rent allowance.
    So it is clear there is a financial sacrifice for the first 58 weeks. Someone commencing now (January 2008) will be paid an allowance (untaxed) for the first 58 weeks & after that will be paid €27,098 + €4,162 = €31,260 per annum (taxed) from about March 2009.
    In addition, once attested, ‘unsocial hour’s allowance’ payments are payable as worked - i.e. extra payments for Night Duty, work on Saturdays / Sundays & Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Ahh where back to this again, did not take long for this to come out of the woodwork "again” ... rock on the be grudgers why people are so set against the reserves i dont know, the Government wants’ the reserves why do you think they are still recruiting, and the intake this year has actually increased to 4 intakes so what does that go to show, they can, and do actually work well together regardless of the frantic effort to get them disbanded, it seems to me that some feel threatened by them for what reason I cant understand, it works quite well in the Uk i.e. ( Police Specials, PCSO) but I suppose this is Ireland and some people are petty minded, we need to move forward not backward after all this is the 21st century and things change, why not the police force.

They will be kept even when the money is found, otherwise what would have been the point, there will always be savings to be made no matter what, and there will always be demonstrations, parades, road blocks, football matches, free flow, ect where extra resources are always needed, compared to the costs of overtime over a 12 month period.

And if they did increase the reserves powers to include, fcps etc any extra revenue which would be generated over the year, could in turn be used to off set the costs of training and uniforms for reserves over a 12 month period, if people where to add up the amount of hours that reserves actually do, how much money do you think the Government actually save, compared to what the cost saving over a 12 months period for a full time member, including overtime, expenses, rent allowance etc.

Do the maths’s below and see exactly what the savings are

Once 58 weeks training are successfully completed, Student Gardaí are attested & go onto (at today’s rates) €25,792 per annum + Rent allowance (paid to all those attested) of €4,162.48 per annum.
    22 weeks after attestation salary rises to €28,357 (from €25,792) & one year later (i.e. after the 22 week point) salary rises to €29,925 + Rent allowance.
    So it is clear there is a financial sacrifice for the first 58 weeks. Someone commencing now (January 2008) will be paid an allowance (untaxed) for the first 58 weeks & after that will be paid €27,098 + €4,162 = €31,260 per annum (taxed) from about March 2009.
    In addition, once attested, ‘unsocial hour’s allowance’ payments are payable as worked - i.e. extra payments for Night Duty, work on Saturdays / Sundays & Bank

Hi, who are you refering as the begrudgers ? Not me I hope, is it that a person can not make an observation and post it unless its positive ?

What I said and clearly others agree is real, I did not post for the craic, I still say its a great thing, just not all the time and needs an overhaul, whats wrong with progress ?

Don’t think I see your quote on that unless you changed your user name from , leinsterdude to I'm listening, have you ??

I do agree with you that the Reserves should be allowed to do extra class work and modules the more they learn the better they will become

And yes I agree it needs to be overhauled that I do agree with that maybe, they might look at it in a better light since the recommendations have been made, and now that its gone back to the commissioner just maybe something will come out of it.

What has annoyed me is for someone to come out and say as quoted (But at the end of the day, the Gov are making such a saving having a Reserve that it will be kept till money is found again. The money they'll save by scrapping it would be nothing compared to the money lost.)

If you could put all the money they have saved over the past 5 yrs since its launch, they have well had a return on their investment in the Reserves, and will continue to make savings, even after there proposed 10% of the force has been achieved.

Don’t think I see your quote on that unless you changed your user name from , leinsterdude to I'm listening, have you ??

I do agree with you that the Reserves should be allowed to do extra class work and modules the more they learn the better they will become

And yes I agree it needs to be overhauled that I do agree with that maybe, they might look at it in a better light since the recommendations have been made, and now that its gone back to the commissioner just maybe something will come out of it.

What has annoyed me is for someone to come out and say as quoted (But at the end of the day, the Gov are making such a saving having a Reserve that it will be kept till money is found again. The money they'll save by scrapping it would be nothing compared to the money lost.)

If you could put all the money they have saved over the past 5 yrs since its launch, they have well had a return on their investment in the Reserves, and will continue to make savings, even after there proposed 10% of the force has been achieved.

Ahh come on everyone... the reserves shouldn't be looked upon as a money saving venture but as an addition to the force.. just because that addition (the reserves) is costings a maximum 4.80 euro per hour per reserve (based on a min. of 208 hours worked in a year) after the training and fitting out costs are factored out shouldn't be looked at as a savings.. We volunteer for this and are not marched into it blindly or foolishly... What is it... the constant reference to the moneys saved by the introduction of the reserves only further angers the full-time members of AGS as they will look upon this as overtime lost... The reserve is an extra arm of the force and should be seen as that only.. We are there to serve the state and it's people... we preform our duties with the good help of the full-time members... I would be unhappy for the reserve force to become the stepping stone souly for becoming a full-time member as it will never gain it's own right within the force and never progress beyond where it is at present where as discussed here the reserve force does need to be overhauled even slightly as it needs to be. Iam in the reserves for over 2 years now and i will not knock it as it's very good on a number of fronts but i am not blind to the fact that it needs a new structure to move forward and after 4.5 years since it's introduction i think it's time now for such a change.
    Thanks for letting me have a minor rant...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

Ahh come on everyone... the reserves shouldn't be looked upon as a money saving venture but as an addition to the force.. just because that addition (the reserves) is costings a maximum 4.80 euro per hour per reserve (based on a min. of 208 hours worked in a year) after the training and fitting out costs are factored out shouldn't be looked at as a savings.. We volunteer for this and are not marched into it blindly or foolishly... What is it... the constant reference to the moneys saved by the introduction of the reserves only further angers the full-time members of AGS as they will look upon this as overtime lost... The reserve is an extra arm of the force and should be seen as that only.. We are there to serve the state and it's people... we preform our duties with the good help of the full-time members... I would be unhappy for the reserve force to become the stepping stone souly for becoming a full-time member as it will never gain it's own right with the force and never progress beyond where it is at present where as discussed here the reserve force does need to be overhauled even slightly as it needs to be. Iam in the reserves for over 2 years now and i will not knock it as it's very good on a number of fronts but i am not blind to the fact that it needs a new structure to move forward and after 4.5 years since it's introduction i think it's time now for such a change.

coudnt have put it better myself. Well done munster :D

Ahh come on everyone... the reserves shouldn't be looked upon as a money saving venture but as an addition to the force.. just because that addition (the reserves) is costings a maximum 4.80 euro per hour per reserve (based on a min. of 208 hours worked in a year) after the training and fitting out costs are factored out shouldn't be looked at as a savings.. We volunteer for this and are not marched into it blindly or foolishly... What is it... the constant reference to the moneys saved by the introduction of the reserves only further angers the full-time members of AGS as they will look upon this as overtime lost... The reserve is an extra arm of the force and should be seen as that only.. We are there to serve the state and it's people... we preform our duties with the good help of the full-time members... I would be unhappy for the reserve force to become the stepping stone souly for becoming a full-time member as it will never gain it's own right within the force and never progress beyond where it is at present where as discussed here the reserve force does need to be overhauled even slightly as it needs to be. Iam in the reserves for over 2 years now and i will not knock it as it's very good on a number of fronts but i am not blind to the fact that it needs a new structure to move forward and after 4.5 years since it's introduction i think it's time now for such a change.

Totally agree with you on this, hope you did not take my post out of context, i was making a point to another poster about his remark, that is all.

Originally Posted by I'm listening viewpost.gif
    Nail on the head!

Totally agree with you on this, hope you did not take my post out of context, i was making a point to another poster about his remark, that is all.

No prob..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

moving on swiftly :rolleyes::cool::pac:

Hi,

Hang in there.... things will change...maybe slowly... but they will... Did you ever contact HRM via email and express your feeling? Mightn't be a bad thing because I know they are considering changes at the moment. Only a thought! Other than that i hope you are keeping well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xuza

Are the Reserves placed 30 miles from their home just like the full time Gardai? I thought you stayed around your town/district??

xuza wrote: »
    Are the Reserves placed 30 miles from their home just like the full time Gardai? I thought you stayed around your town/district??

They are usually kept away from the area they are living in as it would be very difficult for the reserve to be called to lets say a domestic and it turns out to be a neighbour.... not very good for both parties concerned... remember a reserve is part-time and shouldn't be placed in that position nor should the victim either... The next nearest station is usually 20+ miles from that reserve (rural) would be closer if you are urban (sometimes)... they won't have you traveling 40 miles to go and do something like the reserves free and all that nor should you do so either. Hope that helps

xuza wrote: »

The restriction for Garda living in the place they are stationed is no-longer there. I know plenty of Garda's in my district living and working in the same area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

The restriction for Garda living in the place they are stationed is no-longer there. I know plenty of Garda's in my district living and working in the same area.

Yeah thats right. I am stationed in the City I live in and have even called to incidents in my own neighbourhood which is not supposed to be allowed but needs must sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

In the event of a garda reserve getting assaulted...is there any type of insurance that would cover incidents like this?? I know the full time members have medical aid cover but do the GR?!!.................SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT GUYS!!!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

lippy88 wrote: »
    In the event of a garda reserve getting assaulted...is there any type of insurance that would cover incidents like this?? I know the full time members have medical aid cover but do the GR?!!.................SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT GUYS!!!!!:(

You mean...we might be assaulted on duty? :eek: Does the GR on our shoulders not provide us with magical, assault-stopping powers?

I feel so let down and betrayed. I thought GR was all about assisting the full-timers, making sure the milk in the fridge doesn't run out and the like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Hi Lippy. Medical Aid for is paid for by full time members and not by the State. We pay it through Garda Payroll so I doubt it's open to the GR as it is deducted out of our wages every week. I'm not sure what insurance options are available to reserves but I hope this helps answer your question in relation to medical aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

I was interested in a answer to this so i put the question to the Garda reserve section at Garda HQ.

Question:

What personal injury cover does a Garda Reserve have while on duty.
    I know that full time members have Medical Aid which is payed from
    there wages each week,

But does a Garda Reserve come under a insurance policy that An Garda
    Síochána has out for personal injury
    or does this come down to what insurance cover that each Garda Reserve
    member has themselves?

Answer:

With regard to your query, St Paul's Garda Medical Aid Society is a private medical insurance provider, similar to VHI/AVIVA/QUINN etc.. Members of the full time service can choose to join it and pay a weekly subscription which can be taken directly from their wages. St Paul's Garda Medical Aid Society is independent of An Garda Síochána.

Members of An Garda Síochána who are injured on duty, through no fault of their own, can make a claim under the Garda Síochána Compensations Act and their medicals expenses are paid by the Commissioner. Members of the Garda Reserve are members of An Garda Síochána under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 and as such are covered in the same manner as full time members.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

So if you have your own personal health insurance
    then you have the same level of cover and right to claim medical expences as a full time member. Only difference is that garda reserves can not pay into the St Paul's Garda Medical Aid Society so your best of making sure you have your own policy in order.

Hope that answered your question. I did for me.

John.

There is no difference joining St Rapheals Garda Credit Union or St Pauls Credit Union, as they will take the money by direct debit from your bank account, same can be said for St Pauls Medical Aid, what people forget is that under the 2005 act, Garda Reserves are Members of An Garda Siochana.

The Credit Unions by their own common bond any person who is a Member of An Garda Siochana are entitled to join these services, St Rapheals have actually changed their common bond to reflect this now so any Garda Reserve is free to join.

This is from St Pauls Credit union own site
    Who may join?
    Serving and retired members of An Garda Síochána, their spouses & children who come within the terms of the common bond.

Common bond is the same for both Credit Unions Members of An Garda Siochana which you are a member under the 2005 act amended
    Members NOT on payroll
    Methods of contribution:
    Your Weekly/Monthly payments can be made by any of the following methods:
    (a) Deductions through Spouse’s or parents payroll deduction scheme.
    (b) By Direct Debit with your bank.
    (c) By posting Cheque, Money Order etc. to the Credit Union Office.
    (d) By Personally calling to the Credit Union Office.

This is from St Pauls Medical Aid

CONSTITUTION OF SOCIETY

2. The Society is a friendly Society composed solely of members of An Garda Siochana, Student members of An Garda Siochana, retired members of An Garda Siochana and former members of An Garda Siochana entitled to a Garda Pension all of whom are appointed under Sections 9, 10, 13, 14 and 52 of the Garda Siochana Act 2005 are under an enactment repealed by that Act, and their widows and widowers or partner on cover with the Society at the demise of the member. Membership of the Society ceases on the demise of the widow, widower or partner.

Same as above open to Members Of An Garda Siochana your still covered by the 2005 act here as well depending on how far you are willing to push this.

So Im sure this can also be paid in by Direct Debit, so anyone interested should enquire all they can say is yes or no, if they say no well then its up to you to forget it or dispute this, and take the matter forward as its part of their common bond which could be challanged if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

I know it looks like they should be able to join, but does anyone know of any Garda Reserve that has actually managed to join either of the two Credit Unions or the Medical Aid scheme?

djh wrote: »
    I know it looks like they should be able to join, but does anyone know of any Garda Reserve that has actually managed to join either of the two Credit Unions or the Medical Aid scheme?

They can.... and i do.... 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Cheers munster,
    you've brightened up my day :)

Did you join both St Paul's and St Raphaels?

Yes lots of people have joined St Rapheals Credit Union with no probs at all, they even had an open night at Wesminstown for the Reserves commemoration ceremony, so they are well up for taking on new business.

Also please be aware that it is your right, under their own common bond if you want to pursue it further, for to get them to take you on as a customer, just remember you will have to pay via a bank account by Direct Debit.

The rest is up to you all the info can be found on their respected websites, the more people that get on to them, the more they will know people are interested, and with the recession we are in at the present time, i would say they would only be to happy to take your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sweeney1982

Hi Folks,

This question has probably been asked before and the answer may be obvious but i'm just not sure .. By joining the Garda Reserves are you at an advantage over others when it comes to recruitment for AGS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes it's been asked before, and no, you are not at an advantage because you still have to go through all the normal stages of recruitment just like everyone else. It may help when it comes to your interview, but that's about it.
    Hi Folks,

This question has probably been asked before and the answer may be obvious but i'm just not sure .. By joining the Garda Reserves are you at an advantage over others when it comes to recruitment for AGS?

Advertisement