Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

da__flash wrote: »
    well said i m listening, full time need them everyday and this is why they are not issued to reserves. reserves are only part time and would only need to use them maybe twice or 3 times a month so there is no need to have them issued to reserves...

I am only putting out the question there. My opinion is that it's one less thing to worry about loosing!!! So once they are there in the pool... hea, no problem.. The reason i asked the question is that i got a few nagging complaints from a few reserves in my district about the fact that they felt that there was a trust factor involved in the non-issue of the radios and not just the finance reason.. I never really thought about it myself and was wondering on how the other reserves or even fulltime members felt. That's all...
    Thanks for yer feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Tetra radio's not being issued as personal issue to reserves but only as a pool bank!!
    What's people's option on this!

I'm not in the least bit surprised, just one more thing to put to the back of your mind and forget about.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I wouldn't worry.. they usually trod out this sort of stuff one every year... and only two branches....

Ah you never know, it's not the GRA this time it's the AGSI (middle-ranking gardaí).

In fairness they do say "That doesn’t mean to say we don’t have fine people in the Garda Reserve but we believe the money it costs annually should be put into the resources of the Garda Siochana and used in the fight against crime.”

Ah you never know, it's not the GRA this time it's the AGSI (middle-ranking gardaí).

In fairness they do say "That doesn’t mean to say we don’t have fine people in the Garda Reserve but we believe the money it costs annually should be put into the resources of the Garda Siochana and used in the fight against crime.”

When the Garda reserve was been introduced back in 2006 the GRA and the AGSI were dead set against it. In March 2008 the AGSI came out with the same stuff referring to costs etc.. for their AGM. Now yet again they refer to the same problem with the costs involved. I think they should refocus they efforts in optaining more funding for all of the personnel within AGS and not ask for further cuts in the organisation!!! and calling for the Garda Reserve to be scrapped is a cut in the organisation. Doesn't figure!!!!

When the Garda reserve was been introduced back in 2006 the GRA and the AGSI were dead set against it. In March 2008 the AGSI came out with the same stuff referring to costs etc.. for their AGM. Now yet again they refer to the same problem with the costs involved. I think they should refocus they efforts in optaining more funding for all of the personnel within AGS and not ask for further cuts in the organisation!!! and calling for the Garda Reserve to be scrapped is a cut in the organisation. Doesn't figure!!!!

I know both were against at the start but it seemed that AGSI began to support the Reserves recently and it was just the GRA attacking it, now it seems that AGSI have gone back on the attack.

Having been in it since the start, it was a great idea and has great people in it but the Reserve concept is failing it just isn't working and you'd be blind not to see it.
    It seems at the mo that it has turned into a way for people to get into the full time and nothing more.

• Advertisement

I know both were against at the start but it seemed that AGSI began to support the Reserves recently and it was just the GRA attacking it, now it seems that AGSI have gone back on the attack.

Having been in it since the start, it was a great idea and has great people in it but the Reserve concept is failing it just isn't working and you'd be blind not to see it.
    It seems at the mo that it has turned into a way for people to get into the full time and nothing more.

mmmmmmmm.. maybe in the larger urban stations the Garda Reserve is not used to it's fullest ... as i joined back in the beginning and have now served in both urban and rural stations i can say that it varies. In some stations you are really needed and in others you may feel like a spare!!! The report is due soon from kathleen o toole so hopefully things might get a shake up in the way things are run. This concept works all over the world so i can't see why it can't work in Ireland!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

hey folks

just wondering if the garda reserve members are issued with warrent cards once they have completed all there training?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

The only reason it's failing is because they have not used our experiences enough. I am in to my fourth year of the reserve, and I still can only do very limited things. I'm not expecting everything, but we could do with a few more things. I was at a traffic checkpoint the other night, and I could not prosecute a fellow whose tax is 6 months out of date, but I can do him for no licence and insurance. Small simple thing should be give to us each year as we progress, and then we would be more valued.

I agree with the full time members who are suffering financially that they would want to make saving in order to get their own paid restored. That is only natural thing, but the €2 million it costs to run the reserve each year is only a small drop compared to the value we give back each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

mmmmmmmm.. maybe in the larger urban stations the Garda Reserve is not used to it's fullest ... as i joined back in the beginning and have now served in both urban and rural stations i can say that it varies. In some stations you are really needed and in others you may feel like a spare!!! The report is due soon from kathleen o toole so hopefully things might get a shake up in the way things are run. This concept works all over the world so i can't see why it can't work in Ireland!!!
    Has his report not already been released? Is it one of the ones below?

http://www.gsinsp.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=39

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Has his report not already been released? Is it one of the ones below?

http://www.gsinsp.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=39

Page 18 Recommendation 2.... nothing really said about what recommendations are to be made only some recommendations!! I think its gone back to the commissioner for consideration now and awaiting further report back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BBgun

Its an absolutly brilliant idea for someone to join the reserves if their intention is to open doors into the fulltime force,the wealth of knowledge and experience gained is invaluable and could not be taught in a classroom!In my humble opinion,what other reason is there for signing up, other than to live out a fantasy or realise a missed oppurtunity perhaps!It was recently hinted that it MAY become a pre-requisit for joining full time force,to have served in the reserves.I think if that was the situation then it would pay dividends because it would have all the right people for all the right reasons giving up their spare time voluntarily!!then again that is only my opinion.

BBgun wrote: »
    Its an absolutly brilliant idea for someone to join the reserves if their intention is to open doors into the fulltime force,the wealth of knowledge and experience gained is invaluable and could not be taught in a classroom!

Sure I know it is. But you missed my point completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Wow looks like the AGSI are on our tail now as well
    Pay cuts must be reversed, says AGSI

The AGSI wants members of the Regional Support Units to be in armed mode on a full-time basis and for the Garda Reserve, which officially costs €2m a year, to be disbanded to save money.

(full topic below)

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    I was at a traffic checkpoint the other night, and I could not prosecute a fellow whose tax is 6 months out of date,

where may I ask is the sense in that?

where else in your opinion yogi, based on your experience, could the GR do with expanded powers?

you will soon find out once you are on active service limited means just that very limited :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 shannonsider1

It is interesting to note that both the GRA and AGSI want the Garda Reserve scrapped as they consider it a complete waste of money. It is well known within the Force and the vast majority of the people attached
    to the Reserve only want to sit in the back of a patrol car or sit
    around the station doing nothing. When they do go out on patrol they
    are considered by Real Gardai to be a safety risk.

It is interesting to note that both the GRA and AGSI want the Garda Reserve scrapped as they consider it a complete waste of money. It is well known within the Force and the vast majority of the people attached

Tut.. tut..tut... very, very negative ..... i never knew they done a poll of all AGS fulltime members on their attitude towards the GR. But, hea, everyone is entitled to their opinion, cause all it is, is an opinion and not fact. And as members of AGS, i know only deal in fact not fiction OR hearsay. You might want to go back over the hundreds of pages here and look at some of the positive comments made by fulltime members of AGS (Real Gardai!!!). May i be the first to welcome you to boards.ie and congratulate you on your first positive, factual and informative post. Keep it up.:rolleyes:

Thank you for that welcome. By the way it AGSI not AGS ( it shows all you know abount the job ). It also appears you did not tune to their
    very recent Annual General Conference when it called for the Reserve to
    be scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

Tut.. tut..tut... very, very negative ..... i never knew they done a poll of all AGS full time members on their attitude towards the GR. But, hear, everyone is entitled to their opinion, cause all it is, is an opinion and not fact. And as members of AGS, i know only deal in fact not fiction OR hearsay. You might want to go back over the hundreds of pages here and look at some of the positive comments made by full time members of AGS (Real Gardai!!!). May i be the first to welcome you to boards.ie and congratulate you on your first positive, factual and informative post. Keep it up.:rolleyes:

I have to agree with you MUNSTER

I have spoken to numerous individual senior ranked Gardai and all the feedback was positive
    If a reserve does what they are asked in a professional manner and is there as back up when their partners need it they will earn the respected of the full time members.

It may be the case that some reserves are only interested in wearing the uniform and nothing else and it's these that give us serious people a bad name.
    I can only speak for myself but i am sure that 99% of the people here waiting have applied because of their genuine interest in AGS and or keeping crime off our streets,

Thank you for that welcome. By the way it AGSI not AGS ( it shows all you know abount the job ). It also appears you did not tune to their
    be scrapped.

FYI....... AGS is An Garda Siochana. AGSI is the association of garda sergeants and inspectors

you owe an apology i think

• Advertisement

No apology forthcoming. I am 33 years in the job and never heard An
    Garda Siochana called AGS - is this a new term now used by the Reserve.
    At least the organisation deserves to be called by its full title.

be scrapped.

AGS is short for An Garda Siochana on boards.ie and not any of the representative bodies of the said organisation(s). Please don't be so quick to judge (it shows all you know about the job) until you are in possession of all the information (like the term AGS). Insulting people on this tread will get you nowhere fast. As for their A.G.M of the said GRA and AGSI every year, this is a repeat of 2008 / 09 calls so is old news. Please see moderator comments regarding your conduct on this tread and posts on this tread.:eek:

No apology forthcoming. I am 33 years in the job and never heard An
    Garda Siochana called AGS - is this a new term now used by the Reserve.
    At least the organisation deserves to be called by its full title.

"33 years in the job"? By that do you Mean a full time member of An Garda Siochana?

The only reason I joined this tread in the first place is because I have nothing better to do. I am confined to a hospital bed for the past 6
    days due to the in-action of a member of the Garda Reserve. I have now
    been told I will never work again, play Golf again and all physical exercise
    has to be kept to a minimum - so dont try to lecture me on the merits of the Garda Reserve or anything else.

Now that I have got all that off my chest, you shall not be hearing
    from me again.

thestig06 wrote: »
    "33 years in the job"? By that do you Mean a full time member of An Garda Siochana?

With this kinda attitude i would advise in not engaging in any sort of posting with this person (shannonsider1)... this tread has been through enough and judging by the first 3 posts i don't think this poster is going to contribute anything positive to this tread and the many good people on here.

The only reason I joined this tread in the first place is because I have nothing better to do. I am confined to a hospital bed for the past 6
    has to be kept to a minimum - so dont try to lecture me on the merits of the Garda Reserve or anything else.

from me again.

I am sorry to hear your predicament

However it is not fair to assume that all reserves are comparable to the one who you refer to.

If you have 33 years experience you should put that to good use here

This is not a place to channel your emotions/anger.

I do however wish you a speedy recovery.......

With this kinda attitude i would advise in not engaging in any sort of posting with this person... this tread has been through enough and judging by the first 3 posts i don't think this poster is going to contribute anything positive to this tread and the many good people on here.

Munster , i agree

I was trying to clarify that point

If someone here has that kind of knowledge then they should share it

This was the reason i asked

But well spotted............

from me again.

GoodBye and GOOD LUCK. Positive thoughts induce faster and better outcomes from ill-health. I'am a G.P. That advise is for free.:D

I have to say please don’t tar all reserve members with the same brush, I actually hate going around in the car, sitting on my arse flying all around the place, I think far more can be achieved while on the beat, and a much better visible presence for the public to see, is that not what we are all about at the end of the day, also not all reserves are lazy either, I would consider myself to be a very pro active member on my unit, and I also get on very well with all of them, yes at first there where the looks the stares as you where a new person just arriving, just like any new job people are weary of you until they get to know you, but once they get to see what you are like well lets say its all uphill after that.

I’m sorry to here of your accident, but as you say you have 33 yrs service, and you know the risk's we all take out there, regardless of you having a reserve with you or not, all I can say to this is when I am out on the beat with a member of my unit I don’t expect them to be babysit me, I knew when I took on this role, what the risk’s where going to be as a reserve member of an Garda Sìochana, and I accept that also, so what I expect when I am out there with a full member is number 1 for them to look after him/her self first I will look after me, im a big boy now, I will look after there back in a scuffle regardless of the outcome, and in turn I expect the same its all about team work, I myself find this works quite well at the present time, I think once the members get to know you and that you wont just stand there doing nothing, contribute nothing or just stand there like a lost puppy, you will be a burden on them and treated accordingly, just follow their lead and get stuck in when needed and you will gain their trust and respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Page 18 Recommendation 2.... nothing really said about what recommendations are to be made only some recommendations!! I think its gone back to the commissioner for consideration now and awaiting further report back!
    You were right about that, munster. They haven't done the specific review for the Reserve yet. I wish they would - it seems like the Reserve idea could be working better if the views of lower- and mid-ranking Gardai were taken into account more. I work alongside the Gardai to some extent and very few are against the idea in principle. However, many's the full-timer (and reserve, for that matter) that feels frustrated by the present set-up.

Thought this might be interesting to some people too:

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-03-25.646.0

Advertisement