Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

To everyone here, Please get back to the business of why this tread was started. If you all need to re-fresh your memories, please review all 200 and odd pages and lets get back to the business on helping and informing people. I am a reserve garda for over 2 years now. Been a member not been a member, been respected by everybody or been looked upon as a wanta be garda is irrelevant to me. I began this process when it was introduction years ago for my own reasons and i can assure you all that one of the reasons WASN'T that i was to be called or looked upon as a member of AGS. It just looks to me from reading the posts that people need to take the chip off the shoulder and just get on with it. An old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me"... So what, if SOME regular full time members of AGS have issues with the reserve concept, won't you if someone came in and started to do your job on a free basis. Like i said, get on with it and stop posting about the reserves and what we are.. all it can do is to turn more regular full time members OFF the whole concept of the reserve. Sorry if i insulted a few people here but lets all reflect on why we joined.. and i would say the vast majority would say it has nothing to do with been CALLED a member or not. So lets get on with the business on this tread please.

Exellent post.....

This sub forum took alot of work from us mods to get ok'ed from Admin. It took alot of work to get the posts moved here etc. Now it seems to be falling into a trouble some forum with arguements breaking out and "some" not following moderator instructions. I hope the forum can get back to being what it was. A trouble free, informative sub forum that I only had to check in every few days to check out. Now I log into this forum first before the main forum!!!

We'll run like normal for another while. The forum will then be reviewed. It ye cant get on, if it causes us trouble and if "some" posters cant act like adults then we will be forces to close the sub forum. Please try.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Wow, some great posts since the reopening of the thread, kudos all.

I just want to say, I'm glad this threads back open - I'd never have passed the interview/exam stage without the help of the members on here. Should get my supt. interview and medical this year I hope. I'll no doubt be back here for help soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

To everyone here, Please get back to the business of why this tread was started. If you all need to re-fresh your memories, please review all 200 and odd pages and lets get back to the business on helping and informing people. I am a reserve garda for over 2 years now. Been a member not been a member, been respected by everybody or been looked upon as a wanta be garda is irrelevant to me. I began this process when it was introduction years ago for my own reasons and i can assure you all that one of the reasons WASN'T that i was to be called or looked upon as a member of AGS. It just looks to me from reading the posts that people need to take the chip off the shoulder and just get on with it. An old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me"... So what, if SOME regular full time members of AGS have issues with the reserve concept, won't you if someone came in and started to do your job on a free basis. Like i said, get on with it and stop posting about the reserves and what we are.. all it can do is to turn more regular full time members OFF the whole concept of the reserve. Sorry if i insulted a few people here but lets all reflect on why we joined.. and i would say the vast majority would say it has nothing to do with been CALLED a member or not. So lets get on with the business on this tread please.

munster, could you inform us potential Garda reservists of a typical night/shift in the uniform of a Garda Reserve.

have you any experience or advise youd like to pass on?

id be very interested to hear from someone whos been there and has the tshirt

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Scouser wrote: »
    munster, could you inform us potential Garda reservists of a typical night/shift in the uniform of a Garda Reserve.

Hi Scouser, I know you asked Munster the question but sure I will give you my experience. Every night shift is different but where I am stationed apart from Domestics etc the main problems are when the Pubs and Clubs close around 2-3am. Folk come out of the clubs and think they own the world, they pee on the street, kick doors and shop windows etc mostly Public Order problems. Sometimes fights break out and some of the hardest guys cry like babies when they are arrested or get a spray if they resist. It is interesting, rewarding and you will enjoy it. No shortage of excitement on weekend nights!! Hope this helps or if you want to PM me feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Every weekend is different, every full time member that you can be out with is different and what/how they look at situations, every townland and city is different but overall: urban = public order (things you see going on, on nights out) rural = traffic...stops etc / public order / domestic (a mix of everything). I always live by a golden rule.... Treat people the way you would like to be treated in that situation... You have two ears and one month, more ears than mouth, so listen more than you talk but when you do talk, be fair but firm. If you are really interested in finding out what a Reserve does and their experiences, i would recommend you to get in touch with the inspector / serg in the station you would more than likely get posted to, and ask to speck to a reserve in that station. I have done this with a few people already but it was officially requested and done. You will then get the closest experience and advise from that person concerning you. Good Luck

• Advertisement

thanks alot guys!

i think this thread could do with alot more honest factual information instead of insults and squabbles!

anyone anything else to ad?

wheres the best region/type of station to be assigned?

thanks alot guys!

i think this thread could do with alot more honest factual information instead of insults and squabbles!

anyone anything else to ad?

wheres the best region/type of station to be assigned?

Rural - never stuck in, never in the control room always out and about, you deal with alot more than public order - so you see and experience everything... hope that helps.

do you do more than 4 to 8 hours a week?

are you assigned a permanent full time officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

You are normally assigned to a Unit and the Sergeant on that Unit, not a full time officer but maybe a full timer on your particular shift and then a different one the next time you go in. I do time with the Traffic Corp and I would normally do an average of 40 hrs a month, the minimum is 18 hours a month. Hope this helps. Scouser I left my mobile number for you.

As said already, you are assigned a unit and a skipper. But over time you might find that you go out with a certain member more often than others as ye maybe suited better together. As already stated here, some full time members have issues with the reserve concept and had some bad experiences with reserves and would point black refuse to go out with reserves. This should not be taken personal. You might not agree with their opinion but you must respect their opinion. It hasn't happened in my station as most full time regular members are young and by in large i have done a good job. Over time your skipper will get to know you and will be asking for feed back from the regular members you have been out with. He/she will base your duties on that feedback. Remember, the greatest tool a Garda or a Garda Reserve has is his knowledge and ability to talk a situation down. It's not all about pepper spray, battons cuffs and arresting people. Try not to be a John McCain (Die hard) and overdo the situation. You are there to assist the regular member, they will ask for help from you when they need it but don't stand back and be invisible either, it is a hard balancing act but over time you will build up the trust between you and the unit. Policing will become easier, trust me. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

As said already, you are assigned a unit and a skipper. But over time you might find that you go out with a certain member more often than others as ye maybe suited better together. As already stated here, some full time members have issues with the reserve concept and had some bad experiences with reserves and would point black refuse to go out with reserves. This should not be taken personal. You might not agree with their opinion but you must respect their opinion. It hasn't happened in my station as most full time regular members are young and by in large i have done a good job. Over time your skipper will get to know you and will be asking for feed back from the regular members you have been out with. He/she will base your duties on that feedback. Remember, the greatest tool a Garda or a Garda Reserve has is his knowledge and ability to talk a situation down. It's not all about pepper spray, battons cuffs and arresting people. Try not to be a John McCain (Die hard) and overdo the situation. You are there to assist the regular member, they will ask for help from you when they need it but don't stand back and be invisible either, it is a hard balancing act but over time you will build up the trust between you and the unit. Policing will become easier, trust me. Good Luck.

well said munster
    and to any new reserves there going onto a unit for the first time just be patient for the first few weeks. You are in a totally new enviorment now and it will take a few shifts for you to understand how your unit does things. If you are luckly enough as I was a member will apoint themselves as your tutor garda. This is the best thing that could happen as your tutor garda will show you the way things are done. Listen and absorb the information. Good things are gona happen when you gain the trust of your unit. Not gona say its rosie from the start because people can be funny with change in there work enviorment when all of a sudden a reserve is on the unit. The unit is like a small family all looking out for eachother they need to know they can trust you so GIVE IT TIME be strong and remember work as a team and NO HEROICS..!The most important thing to do is to be yourself keep the head down and do what your told. You will know when you have gained the trust of your unit believe me. And then you will be having such a great time you dont want the shift to end :(

excellent stuff lads, this is the type of advice that needed here.

i can tell that its a massive learning curve from day one. how do the public recieve you when your involved in an incident or arrive at a scene of some sort of disorder?

any stations in dublin that are more reserve friendly? i.e. more for them to do, more able to utilise the extra pair of boots?

reason i ask is being a former member of the RDF i know that certain units are more utilised due to their expertise and indeed geographical location.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I thought some of ye might be interested in this. It's a recent (Feb 4th) statement in the Dail by the Minister for Justice in answer to a number of questions regarding the garda reserve.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-02-04.1324.0

It's also good to be recently reading on this board about other reserve members' experience on the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Nice find that ;)http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?...0-02-04.1324.0

Well from that report i see that the reserves been short listed to the regular force after training has not been ruled out, which is a good thing, so who knows whats going to happen, in the near future.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Rural - never stuck in, never in the control room always out and about, you deal with alot more than public order - so you see and experience everything... hope that helps.

If i had to pick, Id also go for rural, definitely more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

excellent stuff lads, this is the type of advice that needed here.

i can tell that its a massive learning curve from day one. how do the public recieve you when your involved in an incident or arrive at a scene of some sort of disorder?

any stations in dublin that are more reserve friendly? i.e. more for them to do, more able to utilise the extra pair of boots?

reason i ask is being a former member of the RDF i know that certain units are more utilised due to their expertise and indeed geographical location.

well to answer your first question mate it doesnt really come into affect the majority of the public probably wouldnt be looking to see if there are talking to a reserve or not especially if they are distressed or upset and need your help, my expierence is that all they see is a uniform and that you are a garda.

and for your other questions I think you are looking way too deep into things jus be patient and you will see for yourself when you start.

tumbleweed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

why not do a bit of this to pass the time EGOSHEA

garda.gif

russo wrote: »
    and for your other questions I think you are looking way too deep into things jus be patient and you will see for yourself when you start.

your not the first to say that! haha!

im just eager my good man, thanks for your replies

WORD! Keepin it real. And such ;)
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    why not do a bit of this to pass the time EGOSHEA

garda.gif

• Advertisement

Thought ye might be interested in this. It's the AGS Training and Development Review Group Report - lots of details on present training and recommendations regarding changes, etc. There's also a brief section on the reserve (pp. 59-60).

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/An%20Garda%20S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na%20Training%20and%20Development%20Review%20Group%20Report%202009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

just a quick tip to people joining the reserves, don't expect to be welcomed with open arms into the station. I mean, especially if you're in a busy district, the gards are normally fairly busy as it is and you might feel like a hinderence to them at the start.

Keep plugging away though, it takes a while to get to know them and if you've the right personality you'll be grand.

i think it depends on your intentions also, i feel that the majority full timers don't take to older reserves as they feel they are just nosey parkers.
    i've seen reserves leave the force for this reason.

i only joined, to help me get in full time. otherwise, i wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/crime/pay-and-protest-to-dominate-garda-talks-115812.html

Hi everyone,

Not looking good for the future of Garda Reserves by the way the AGSI are talking.

Although i do think 4 million per year is a bit o.t.t!

hope all that were in templemore over the weekend had a great time

thestig06 wrote: »
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/crime/pay-and-protest-to-dominate-garda-talks-115812.html

Hi everyone,

Not looking good for the future of Garda Reserves by the way the AGSI are talking.

Although i do think 4 million per year is a bit o.t.t!

hope all that were in templemore over the weekend had a great time

I wouldn't worry.. they usually trod out this sort of stuff one every year... and only two branches....

Tetra radio's not being issued as personal issue to reserves but only as a pool bank!!
    What's people's option on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Tetra radio's not being issued as personal issue to reserves but only as a pool bank!!
    What's people's option on this!

Don't see no issue, we are not full time guards, no need to have them as personal issue. They are there in a pool when needed

Can i offer some advice to reserves, once they complete their training.
    Make sure you record every piece of duty you perform on your R85 form, with regards to getting your 1k allowance.

I have everything on an e-mail if you want to PM me your e-mail address, i will send it on.

We had those discussions a good few times already.... this subject only brings out arguments and even shut this tread for two days a few months ago... so lets keep away from this subject please..... sleeping dogs and all that..
    Thank you

was only pointing it out that's all. I would encourage reserves to be pro-active, it helps trust me ;)

clayton1 wrote: »
    was only pointing it out that's all. I would encourage reserves to be pro-active, it helps trust me ;)

I understand... lets just keep away from this subject as best we can... people know and understand what to kinda expect....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

well said i m listening, full time need them everyday and this is why they are not issued to reserves. reserves are only part time and would only need to use them maybe twice or 3 times a month so there is no need to have them issued to reserves...

Advertisement