Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

Ive been a reserve for almost two and a half years now- joined when i was 18. I will be hopefully leaving it soon to further my education in Britain but although the reserves have certain problems i.e. lack of powers- i am still very happy that i joined it.

It has given me experience that no other job can. I have been to domestic disputes, assaults, patrolled public order hotspots and been to traffic accidents (one of which was pretty nasty and which i will never forget). I have always been proud to be a reserve and i will be dissapointed when i have to leave it soon.:(

I found the regular members to be very freindly- particularly the unit skippers (who in my opinion, like having the extra manpower on the unit especially at the weekends. i dont know about other reservists but my sergant always rang me to ask would i come in). I was also invited to members retirements/ promotions parties which were also good craic:)

i would recommend the reserves to any young people who want to be able to gain experience.

hope my contribution was usefull to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

hmmm, experiences..

well, first of all, don't take yourself too seriously, the regulars will frown.

by all means take the job seriously and do it to the best of your ability and training yadda yadda...

but don't let it consume you, off duty is off duty too btw, no hero stuff during the week, not necessary.

it's just two 8 hour tours, thirteen times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

gardapa wrote: »
    In some parts of England reserves(Specials) get to patrol on there on but have little or no powers which would be ideal over here?

Gardapa what I think your getting at here are PCSOs, who are Police Community Support Officers. These are actually paid, mostly full time postions within the Police Force, with main responsibilities for patrolling local areas. They have very few powers as you have rightly pointed out, but would be seen as the frontline of the local force. Our equivalents in the UK are Special Police Officers, who like ourselves are unpaid and have to work a minimum of four hours a week. However the major difference is that once trained, Specials have full Police powers. With the right training and practical experience, Specials are allowed to take on more responsibility. Some UK forces even have ranks so Specials can be promoted as their experience grows.
    This is where I would love to see the Garda Reserve going. Yes it's not all about more powers, but as you gain more experience you should be given more responsibilities and independence, and ultimately be able to to do things on your own, rather than constantly waiting on a full time member to tell you what to do, or where to go. This ensures you're constantly challenged and learning new skills, as well as making a valuable contribution to AGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Totally agree with them comments, as babysitting duties is what they think of us, we should after a certain amount of time be able to patrol on our own, and be able to work on our own initive, we should also bear the burdon of paper work, and not let the full timer have to do it all if you bring in a prisioner with them.

As when our duty ends we can just put our coat on and go home, unfortunitly the full timer can not, even if their shift is finished they still have to process and do the paper work before they go home, it also makes us look like we get our cake and get to eat it as well, where by we could actually help them by doing the paper work or what ever else needs to be done it cuts the time involved in half, and im sure the full time members would appriciate it as well.

Myself i can see this as a big divide sometmes amongst other things, that need changing, public order, and a few others that need to be updated, we dont want to be babysat but what can we do not a lot so until the Government decide what extra powers we can have the babysitting service will go on and on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

lehanemore wrote: »
    'course it can happen

Being a GR is a double edged sword, if you do well and fit in, you at least stand a good chance.

If you screw up and are generally not suitable to the team/culture, you will find the door closed.

Jeesus, how good is the communication between the interview board and your allocated station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

leddpipe wrote: »
    Jeesus, how good is the communication between the interview board and your allocated station?

well its not really that theres very good communication its that bad news travels fast everyone knows this and of course if you in the reserve and go for an interview for fulltime the will have a brief outline of your perfomance in the reserve...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

lehanemore wrote: »
    Exactly!

I always wanted to tell it like it is about phase 4, you just nailed it there, good on ya!:cool:

Ha well I always speak the truth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Report of the Garda Síochána Inspectorate Published 26th January 2010
    Summary of Recommendations
    Recommendation 2

The Inspectorate recommends a review of the operation of the Garda Reserve for the purpose of better defining its role taking into account practical experience of its first three years in existence.

Garda Reserve

Garda Síochána resources have been augmented since December, 2006 by a part-time Garda Reserve. There are currently 410 reservists with a
    further 154 in training. The Inspectorate met with members of the Reserve during the course of the inspection and was impressed by their enthusiasm and commitment. Garda management must ensure that the resources of the Garda Reserve are used appropriately and to the benefit of the community. A crucial consideration is that the role of the Reserve must be clearly defined and its members must receive direction and training commensurate with their duties and responsibilities.

The 2002 consultancy report estimated that revised opening hours of stations in the DMR, where forty two of the forty-seven stations are open twenty four hours a day, would free up 240 personnel at Sergeant and Garda rank for more visible policing in the community and increased supervision of Garda resources. The savings would be even more significant if administrative services for the public were provided by trained civilian police staff and members of the Garda Reserve. The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána pursue
    opportunities, especially in the DMR, to release sworn personnel from administrative duties at Garda stations.

http://www.gsinsp.ie/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=78&Itemid=39

I think this is POSITIVE

In what way do you think that, looks like they are looking for pen pushers, that will defo not work, as most people work from 9am to 5pm, so how are they going to get reserves to do office work from 9am to 5pm.

I Also agree the powers do indeed need to be redfined, as there is a big misconception on what they can actuall do, as when you look on the Dept of Justice site there are conflicting information as give down in the collage, as you can see from the piece i have taken from that web page.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR07000283

Duties and Powers
    Under section 15 (5) of the Garda Síochána Act 2005, the duties and powers of reserve Gardai are matters for the Garda Commissioner to determine. He has initially determined that the duties of a reserve member may include the following:
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Station Duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Assistant to the Station Orderly.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Communications room duty, to include monitoring CCTV.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Foot patrol, accompanied by a member of the permanent Garda Service.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Static Security duty.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Road Traffic checkpoint duties, accompanied by a full time member.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Duty at the outer cordon of major events such as festivals and major sporting events.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Assisting in the event of accidents, fires and major emergencies.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Giving evidence in Court.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Community / Neighbourhood Policing.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Preserving Crime Scenes[/FONT]
    The Garda Commissioner has also initially determined that the powers of reserve members will be confined to matters such as: the Road Traffic Acts, the Public Order Act, theft and burglary. Reserve members will be given the power of arrest under the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    In what way do you think that, looks like they are looking for pen pushers, that will defo not work, as most people work from 9am to 5pm, so how are they going to get reserves to do office work from 9am to 5pm.

That's exactly what I picked up from that too. GR and civilian staff will spend more time in the office and less time doing practical Garda tasks such as patrol etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

funkyflea wrote: »
    That's exactly what I picked up from that too. GR and civilian staff will spend more time in the office and less time doing practical Garda tasks such as patrol etc.

I see where you both are getting that however there still is a huge lack of presence on the streets and i don't think on a sat night or during the week they are all behind desks...... there just not there

thestig06 wrote: »
    I see where you both are getting that however there still is a huge lack of presence on the streets and i don't think on a sat night or during the week they are all behind desks...... there just not there

I take your point, however because of the embargo, I think they are going to have to switch things around, plug the leaks or 'effectively use available resources'.. Change peoples shifts/stations to times/areas of greater need.

But I hope you are right and we all know there is a need for more gardaí, minister for finance needs to cop on!

I take your point, however because of the embargo, I think they are going to have to switch things around, plug the leaks or 'effectively use available resources'.. Change peoples shifts/stations to times/areas of greater need.

But I hope you are right and we all know there is a need for more gardaí, minister for finance needs to cop on!

Agreed! isn't the current available reserves waiting classed as available resources! I hope so. there's one last class in templemore then what will they do during the week with no one to train...perfect time for them to get the reserves into action to "plug the leaks" as you put it....

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

thestig06 wrote: »
    perfect time for them to get the reserves into action to "plug the leaks" as you put it....

Never happen, all that would happen is more Reserves will be asked to attend more events and stand around to give the impression to the public that numbers are high.

Never happen, all that would happen is more Reserves will be asked to attend more events and stand around to give the impression to the public that numbers are high.

But isn't that what they are trying to achieve? quietly
    They can't recruit because of the ban ,so that is the only other option

I personally think they should re open applications for the full time members, and also give the people that are now Members of the Garda Reserves a way in as well, including removing the age restriction like other countries.

There are plenty of Garda Reserves who are over the age limit of (35) but could do 40 hrs a week if they so wished, as there is no restriction on the hours that they can work as long as they do the required 208 a year, so what is the difference in them becoming full time members, im sure if the Members of the Garda Reserves being over (35) thought there would have a chance of becoming a full time member, they would not mind doing the extra curriculum involved, with a view to be coming full time including the exams, or any other courses that needed doing.

Any views on this would be welcome, if there are any member's of the Garda Reserve over (35) that would like to have the option open to them with a view to be become a full time Member of An Garda Siochana, if the age restriction was removed, i would love to hear your views on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I personally think they should re open applications for the full time members, and also give the people that are now Members of the Garda Reserves a way in as well, including removing the age restriction like other countries.

There are plenty of Garda Reserves who are over the age limit of (35) but could do 40 hrs a week if they so wished, as there is no restriction on the hours that they can work as long as they do the required 208 a year, so what is the difference in them becoming full time members, im sure if the Members of the Garda Reserves being over (35) thought there would have a chance of becoming a full time member they would not mind doing the extra curriculum involved, with a view to be coming full time including the exams, or any other courses that needed doing.

Any views on this would be welcome, if there are any member's of the Garda Reserve over (35) that would like to have the option open to them with a view to be become a full time Member of An Garda Siochana, if the age restriction was removed, i would love to hear your views on this.

There's not even an need to open applications again, like myself there are loads just in the system just waiting for the call. The resources are there if they needed them.

Regards the age limit, I agree, from my time in the Reserves there are people over 35 that are well able. However doesn't look like it will ever increase, something might come in for the reserves but not any time soon

Well all i can say is never say never and live in hope that some things changes, no matter how small !!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Regards the age limit, I agree, from my time in the Reserves there are people over 35 that are well able. However doesn't look like it will ever increase, something might come in for the reserves but not any time soon

As Zone Alarm said never say never as the met police in London and the psni as far as I know raised the age limit to join to 57 so if they did it there's no reason we can't here, so you never know what could happen.

There are plenty of Garda Reserves who are over the age limit of (35) but could do 40 hrs a week if they so wished, as there is no restriction on the hours that they can work as long as they do the required 208 a year, so what is the difference in them becoming full time members, im sure if the Members of the Garda Reserves being over (35) thought there would have a chance of becoming a full time member, they would not mind doing the extra curriculum involved, with a view to be coming full time including the exams, or any other courses that needed doing.

Funny thing you mention that, I posted a few days back about how there might be (well, according to a garda) direct recruitment from the reserves to full time, it'd make sense and some of the training costs could be shaved off.

I submitted my BR form at my local station yesterday. The garda behind the desk didn't take a copy of the 'receipt page' and I mentioned to her that it says she needs to fax /post a copy of this receipt up to HR but she said she didnt need to, she's sending the application off itself.

Should I ring about this? Or will it be ok once they get the application?

Just worried it'll delay me.

• Advertisement

I agree 1000%

I too would have the time to do the full course on nights, weekends, whatever, in fact, I would even pay for the tuition if necessary.

Funny thing you mention that, I posted a few days back about how there might be (well, according to a garda) direct recruitment from the reserves to full time, it'd make sense and some of the training costs could be shaved off.

Of course it makes sense, they have already been trained on most aspects and are out on the streets as we speak, so what a good way to save money, and also give the reserves who want to go full time, that extra edge for their time and effort.

I would still love to here views of the over (35) Resreve members, what they would like to get out of it, you can put it in here or Pm me its just to get a number that would like to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

Of course it makes sense, they have already been trained on most aspects and are out on the streets as we speak, so what a good way to save money, and also give the reserves who want to go full time, that extra edge for their time and effort.

I would still love to here views of the over (35) Resreve members, what they would like to get out of it, you can put it in here or Pm me its just to get a number that would like to go further.

Here here! Personally I think everybody should be made do a year in the reserves first before they are eligable for the full time role garda. I want to be a gaurd and now that I have had experience in the reserves I dont agree that I have to compete again for the next campain for garda trainees along with thousands of other people who wouldnt know what public order means :/ after all the free time I have gave up working on my unit for a year doing friday and saturday nights and late shifts. Each person should be judged on ther own merrits and suitability to the job from there performance as a garda reserve. Your inspector and sergent would quickly assertain after a few weeks weither your are suited to the job or not. thats all.

russo wrote: »
    Here here! Personally I think everybody should be made do a year in the reserves first before they are eligable for the full time role garda. I want to be a gaurd and now that I have had experience in the reserves I dont agree that I have to compete again for the next campain for garda trainees along with thousands of other people who wouldnt know what public order means :/ after all the free time I have gave up working on my unit for a year doing friday and saturday nights and late shifts. Each person should be judged on ther own merrits and suitability to the job from there performance as a garda reserve. Your inspector and sergent would quickly assertain after a few weeks weither your are suited to the job or not. thats all.

They have to be considering this at some level, it just makes perfect sense.

russo wrote: »

Well i am 100% behind you on that, they should have to join the Reserves first just like any job you start at the bottom and work your way up, it also gives you a good insite into the job re suitability etc or not, that way you can always walk away and still have your job to fall back on, it does not mean you have to give up the Reserves fully, you can always have both your job and do the Reserves in your free time if you so wished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

The issue of having to be a Reserve first before becoming a Regular and Reserves going full time is a huge item for debate - they both have their pros & cons.

In the shorter term I would like to see the duties and roles of the Reserves expanded to something more akin the duties and roles of the Special Constables in the UK. I'm familiar with Specials in the Met (MSC's) and you would be amazed with what they do. For them it is a huge incentive and reward for the time and effort they put it. Hopefully the Review as proposed by the Inspectorate will go some way in expanding the roles etc of the Reserves.

Well said Jack i agree with you on that the whole thing, the Reserves needs to be looked at and brought up to date with other countries, as we are lagging behind not to mention, the powers or non existing powers they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

The issue of having to be a Reserve first before becoming a Regular and Reserves going full time is a huge item for debate - they both have their pros & cons.

In the shorter term I would like to see the duties and roles of the Reserves expanded to something more akin the duties and roles of the Special Constables in the UK...
    I was speaking with a sergeant recently who said she thought that the reserve would function better if they underwent the same/very similar training as the full-timers and were then brought in for (paid) duties where and whenever they were needed. I agree that current reserves - particularly if they have some experience under their belt - shouldn't have to go through all the training that completely new full-timers trainees have to. Perhaps block training for reserves could be carried out at weekends and then practiced on duty in between such blocks - this might be a good way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

eroo wrote: »
    First off.. stay calm! They are not going to be waiting for you like wolves!:) The interview preparation material you were sent by PAS; try have 2 examples of situations for each area. Most important tip: Listen carefully to the questions you are asked.. and answer it as best you can, but avoid trailing off on a tangent!

Don't panic, head up, sit up straight and look them in the eye as this will show confidence! Best of luck Jenny!

Thanks a mill for the advice ill take it all on board

• Advertisement

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I was speaking with a sergeant recently who said she thought that the reserve would function better if they underwent the same/very similar training as the full-timers and were then brought in for (paid) duties where and whenever they were needed. I agree that current reserves - particularly if they have some experience under their belt - shouldn't have to go through all the training that completely new full-timers trainees have to. Perhaps block training for reserves could be carried out at weekends and then practiced on duty in between such blocks - this might be a good way to go?

Sure some are doing a lot of hours and unpaid at the moment, so i cant see the prob contunuing with that, and also doing the extra training if that was to come in, it would actually not be a bad idea at all, the training could be done on the weekends that they are not on duty, i know some people wont be able to do this due to family / work commitments, but the Reserves that are able should be given that chance if they are willing to do it, and at the end of their training, they could be given the full member status then they could maybe get paid.

Advertisement