Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lancer326

CO19 wrote: »
    This maybe true for some reserves but not all,it's like all jobs you'll have people coming and going if they don't like it same can be said I'm sure for the full timers.

It was 4,000 then it was reduced to 1,400 and last I was told by my local Sgt that they're pretty close to that mark now.

less than 250 in fact, i kid you not.

This maybe true for some reserves but not all,it's like all jobs you'll have people coming and going if they don't like it same can be said I'm sure for the full timers.

It was 4,000 then it was reduced to 1,400 and last I was told by my local Sgt that they're pretty close to that mark now.

less than 250 in fact, i kid you not. i asked a super who i met in court and he admitted the take up was very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

lancer326 wrote: »
    less than 250 in fact, i kid you not.

Wow !! then a s.h.i.t load must have dropped out over the last 2/3 months so,where's your source for all this ?

Wow !! then a s.h.i.t load must have dropped out over the last 2/3 months so,where's your source for all this ?

i asked him had many actually dropped out and he said it's more a case that that's all that had signed up rather than people dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

i asked him had many actually dropped out and he said it's more a case that that's all that had signed up rather than people dropping out.

I wouldn't be relying too much on his statement,there was over 255 trained reserves before the summer with more to be trained and more applying for the position, so I'd say the Sgt I was talking too is more up to date than that Super is,anyway only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Well then, the only thing that's gonna sort this is a good old Dail question. In response, an answer is shaped for the Minister and some of the answers can be stunningly cunning. Try this for a Dail scenario:

Opposition spokesperson : " Can the Minister tell the House how well the Reserve Garda Force is doing ? How many have been accepted for training ? How many completed training ? What is the daily/weekly number who perform duty in our public places in support of the regular Force ? How many have left the Reserve Force since joining ? What is the strength of the Reserve Force now ? "

Min for Justice : " Thank you Deputy and I'm glad you asked that question.
    The Garda Reserve Force has been an overwhelming success. The standard has been set at a high level to meet public expectations and the quality of the candidates was much higher than any of us thought it would be. The great untapped force of Garda Reserves have been very active and following training which is ongoing they all took to their tasks with great enthusiasm. I have been assured by senior Garda management that the Reserve represents a wealth of knowledge and experience which is now available to Garda management throughout the country. And as long as I am Min for Justice this will continue to be the case because FF policy is to give the public the strongest possible assurance that the security of the state is in good hands and is uppermost in our minds. And I will conclude with this assurance to the House, that the strength of the Reserve will be maintained at the highest possible level and no stone will be left unturned to make this the case. Vacancies will be filled as they arise contingent upon available and qualified personnel and there will be no diminution of the high standard level now in place. Recruiting policies for the Reserve are ethnically sound too as they need to be having regard to present day standards and relevant legislation.
    A Ceann Comhairle, we are committed...../ Blah..Blah...and more Blah. "

Now the interesting about that kind of answer so frequently foisted upon us is that none of the questions has been factually answered.
    Why ?
    Because as they say in 'De Departmente'...'the figures just don't stack up so ya can't write up a straight answer for him'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

it amases me that a lot of the views on this thread are to the effect that you can work what shifts suit you and with whatever unit you like. that is not the case. you will be assigned to a particular unit and you will work the shifts you are rostered for, i.e. you can't say i'll work so ans so hours this week and so and so hours next week.

Incorrect. None of the GR's in my division are assisgned to units and are not told when they can and cant work. We inform the sgt. when we can work. Maybe this is different in other divisions or stations. Check your facts before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Well there we have it now so hope this clears it all up now well it defo does for me anyway thanks for the info :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

reserves work loosely as they can, they are not told when to work, more agree with serg what they can do and then rostered after that, reserves generally do not arrest, maybe in extreme cases, but wouldnt a cute gr pass it to the full time gard or use an audult caution if minor, lots of ways of avoiding court for small stuff, also they are really just another body at present so follow and do not lead situations just help out,
    there is about 400 at present and more in training, all doing great work, why are people so quick to knock them, I cant understand this attitude from some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paul4690

de rdf is much more fun, we get to play with guns haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

paul4690 wrote: »
    de rdf is much more fun, we get to play with guns haha

:rolleyes:

sandbags ..... haha, wonder is there a similar name for gr yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I wouldn't be relying too much on his statement,there was over 255 trained reserves before the summer with more to be trained and more applying for the position, so I'd say the Sgt I was talking too is more up to date than that Super is,anyway only time will tell.

when I did the medical recently I counted 12 that went through in the two hours that I was there, all passed, all candidates for the reserve.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the numbers who have packed in the Reserve and what was it that led them to that decision ? Not looking for Groucho Marx here, just a candid outline of the reason for loss of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Abraham wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten us as to the numbers who have packed in the Reserve and what was it that led them to that decision ? Not looking for Groucho Marx here, just a candid outline of the reason for loss of interest.

There hasnt been many. The majority left to start the full timers. And the others, well it just wasn't for them. Probably went into it for the wrong reasons.

there is very few that have left as far as I know, first I heard of loads was from questions here, why would you go through the pain of training to then leave when you are at the best stage, it is false to say loads have left.

Abraham wrote: »

Up to 31st March 2008, 281 people had graduated as Garda Reserve members. 13 Reserve members have moved on to become trainee full-time members. 4 Reserve members resigned for personal reasons or because they took up occupations which would conflict with their status as Reserve Gardaí.

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0652/D.0652.200804220273.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Straighttalker

in my opinion the gr as purely being used as a pr excercise for ags. i know a no of them. two are waiting to get into the full time and two seem to be the curtain twitcher type as described in previous posts. can be a good way of increasing no's but they are almost purely observers apart from their outstanding ability to give out tickets without discretion.

in my opinion the gr as purely being used as a pr excercise for ags. i know a no of them. two are waiting to get into the full time and two seem to be the curtain twitcher type as described in previous posts. can be a good way of increasing no's but they are almost purely observers apart from their outstanding ability to give out tickets without discretion.

Still, the figures quoted by Lehanemore (and I see no contradiction of them) are not bad at all from the State's way of looking at things. Any institution in the country might have a dropout rate at that level or perhaps higher.

Dont like or agree with this post, curtain twitchers ? how rude, from a class of approx 40 in my time I would probably class 1-2 people as maybe unsuitable, but not for the reason you use, most were calm, sensible, and solid people, I think you may be trying to stir people with your comments, if you are it worked with me. GR is a positive move as the more visible the Gardai are on the streets the better. what do you do with your spare time that is of any use ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smith.8493

hav'nt heard of anyone who has applyed or is in the garda reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Hi just throwing this out there and would be very interested in feedback from full time members especially. Do you think there will fall out towards the Reserves following the Draconian pension levies imposed on the Public sector.Some Reserves I know ,think mistakenly or otherwise ,a certain seed change in attitude from full time members since the cut backs in overtime. I sincerely hope this is not the case and that the Reserves won't be used as scapegoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Couldnt see any behaviour change towards the GR tbh. Its not the GRs fault, its the government that has implemented this levy. Of course there will be giving out and such but it should not be directed at anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

curtain twitchers were are you from delvin.
    dont be putting down the reserves these are people
    giving up there own time to give assistance to gardai
    we should at least get some appriciation now
    f ck o f sh t he d :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey just thought id share my view on the reserves

i think its a excellent way of seen is it the right job for you before you spend 3 years training and realise thiis not the right thing to do.

Im just gone 20 and im finishing off my degree in ucd in social science & social policy which i feel will benifit me greatly a few years down the road in the garda regarding a promotion or perhaps if i chose to go down a different path i would always have something to fall back on with my degree if i ever decided the life of a garda was not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Sinn Féin Justice Spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD has this morning called for the Garda Reserve to be scrapped. Speaking ahead of an Oireachtas Committee meeting with the Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy Deputy Ó Snodaigh said the reserve is a failed and costly exercise and should be scrapped.

Deputy Ó Snodaigh also gave his party's reaction to the publication of the Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern's priorities for the Gardaí in 2009.

He said, "We would have liked to see a commitment to scrap the Garda Reserve and the €1.3 million it costs annually redirected into quality community policing. It is a failed and costly PR exercise of a previous Justice Minister and has been deemed as such by both the Garda Representative Association and the Association of Garda Sergeants. It should be scrapped immediately before more money is wasted.

"The reserve has had little or no impact in terms of improving policing. Even aside from its budget allocation a range of other costs are tied up with its existence. A chief superintendent, a superintendent, several sergeants and a large number of Gardaí are tied up with training and supervising the tiny reserve force. .

"The Garda Reserve cannot be a substitute for quality community policing by full-time fully trained Gardaí.

"Minister Ahern's Garda priorities for 2009 are a real step backwards from the priorities determined by Brian Lenihan for the 2008 plan.

"Like the Gardaí themselves, Ahern's top priority is state security followed secondly by crime. Lenihan had reversed these last year - rightly in our view.

"Ahern has also dumped some of the more positive priorities determined by Lenihan last year which we had welcomed at the time and which were in fact clearly influenced by our own submission to that year's policing plan. Ahern has abandoned: the emphasis on JPCs; the priority of increasing the numbers of Gardaí on operational duties, the frequency of high visibility patrols and the numbers deployed in RAPID areas; and Crime Prevention and Reduction as a named priorities in the 2009 Garda Policing Plan." ENDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

I read in the indo yesterday that the garda unions are calling for the reserves to be scraped and save 3 million,were is that money being spent
    taking that there are only over 300 of us.It must be on garda wages that
    are over us.I know what to do take 10% off the enormous benchmark
    payments they got.but you couldnt do that just look at all the crying
    the public sector done whan they were told they would have to pay5%
    into there own pensions.(servants of the people)yea right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I read in the indo yesterday that the garda unions are calling for the reserves to be scraped and save 3 million,were is that money being spent
    taking that there are only over 300 of us.

I reckon the 3 million they are talking about includes training, allowances, equipment etc
    It must be on garda wages that
    are over us.I know what to do take 10% off the enormous benchmark
    payments they got.but you couldnt do that just look at all the crying
    the public sector done whan they were told they would have to pay5%
    into there own pensions.(servants of the people)yea right:rolleyes:

this is being discussed on many other threads and is only suitable there, not on this thread though

I read in the indo yesterday that the garda unions are calling for the reserves to be scraped and save 3 million

the reserve concept has been branded a failure.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/scrap-reserves--and-save-83643m--a-year--gardai-1634076.html

another recommendation was to reduce the number of Ombudsman commissioners from three to one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

But why? :confused: Is it a simple matter of the reserve not being utilised correctly, or is the concept itself flawed?

Advertisement