Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Flaccus wrote: »
    I will probably put the drive cage back as I don't need the airflow now with the sidefan. But probably not much point in putting it back yet as I have no drives to install there :) You can buy those viper fans from www.overclockers.co.uk or www.caseking.de (though shipping is steep). Failing that I've bought from this user with no issues
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Akasa-AK-FN059-120mm-Viper-S-Flow-Case-Fan-/300497165804?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item45f706ddec

The main reason for getting the vipers is they are almost silent below 1k rpm and even at 1900rpm you just hear airflow, although you can get a little buzzing depending on the frequency of your pwm circuit on your motherboard (can be adjusted with speedfan anyway to remove ticking). That's when using a 4pin connection. Also works of a standard 3pin connection on motherboard and fan controller, though some fan controllers give unpredictable results with pwm fans. They also have the highest static pressure of any non-delta fan I have come across. Was thinking of putting 2 of them in the top of my case to improve exhaust but that would diminsh the white led look I have going on. For now I will probably just reverse my H70 so it's exhausting since I have enough intake.
    Think will get off the ebay guy then, few other gimmicky things will get off him also as messing about with another pc :). I would put them so are 1k rpm then would prefer too be quieter as want a quiet pc this time all my other ones where quite loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MMiskella

Very nice rig Flaccus. The viper fans did catch my eye, I was thinking of going with them but i've now got my heart set on the Sharkoon's as they seem to have a better Dba to CFM ratio and comes in 120mm and 140mm flavours :D

Is that a Crosshair Extreme board btw?

My specs -
    1478660.png

Phenom II X4 955
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    4GB Patriot Viper PC3-12800C7
    WD Raptor RAID 0
    Obsidian 700D
    Sapphire 6870
    Corsair Gold AX850

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

MMiskella wrote: »
    Very nice rig Flaccus. The viper fans did catch my eye, I was thinking of going with them but i've now got my heart set on the Sharkoon's as they seem to have a better Dba to CFM ratio and comes in 120mm and 140mm flavours :D

Is that a Crosshair Extreme board btw?

My specs -
    1478660.png

Phenom II X4 955
    WD Raptor RAID 0
    Obsidian 700D
    Sapphire 6870
    Corsair Gold AX850

Nice system. My board is an Asus Rampage III Extreme X58. The Sharkoon 140mm fans are total rubbish and push hardly any air. They were actually worse then the stock 700D fans in my experience. About as good as the Fractal Design fans. All manufacturers measure their db and cfm levels differently. I have tested db, static pressure, and cfm with airflow restricted (by fan grilles, filters, rads etc..) in a lab environment all the variious Scythes models (the slipstream, kaze and gentle typhoos), Akasa Vipers and Apaches, Noctua, Nexus, Alphafohn, Noiseblocker Multiframe, PK2 and PK3, Sharkoon, Coolermaster, Coolink, Bequiet, Yateloon, Zalman, Zaward, Xigmatek, Silverstone, and Papst.

In my opinion and on the results I got the only 140mm fan which delivers on good airflow and quietish noise levels were the Noiseblocker PK2 140mm fans. All the other were quieter but much worse airflow, or better airflow and too noisy. Also, Noiseblockers were the only ones whose specs seemed to come close ot my results. The PK2 model was best - very quiet at 900-1000rpm, and quiet at 1200rpm. Excellent motor and respond well to a fan controller or using your fan headers on your motherboard to drop the voltage/rpm. No ticking noises either. Hence I used these on the 700D and 800D builds I had. When it comes to 120mm fans there is more choice. I found the Sharkoon Silent Eage 1000's very very good. However if you are planning to use a 120mm fan or two to cool down a rad then you need a fan with good static pressure rather then just high cfm, and almost all 120mm fans fail in that department with a couple of exceptions like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon models which are very very good but I wanted a fan with 4pin PWM control and the Akasa Apache Black or Akasa Vipers are unbeatable in my view. The highest measured static pressure of any fan I have tested, silent below 1k rpm, and quiet up to 1200rpm which they will hardly ever go over except in stress testing in which case they can go to 1900rpm but again, a very quiet motor and all you hear is air. If using a 700D case and not doing full watercooling then a pair of these vipers on either a H50/H70 (intaking air into the case) or 4 of them on an ECO 240 in push pull exhausting air from the roof, if pretty much unbeatable. And for 140mm fans, Noiseblocker PK2's all round with a decent fan controller. That's my take on it anyway, and I spent hundreds of euro finding this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Nice system. My board is an Asus Rampage III Extreme X58. The Sharkoon 140mm fans are total rubbish and push hardly any air. They were actually worse then the stock 700D fans in my experience. About as good as the Fractal Design fans. All manufacturers measure their db and cfm levels differently. I have tested db, static pressure, and cfm with airflow restricted (by fan grilles, filters, rads etc..) in a lab environment all the variious Scythes models (the slipstream, kaze and gentle typhoos), Akasa Vipers and Apaches, Noctua, Nexus, Alphafohn, Noiseblocker Multiframe, PK2 and PK3, Sharkoon, Coolermaster, Coolink, Bequiet, Yateloon, Zalman, Zaward, Xigmatek, Silverstone, and Papst.

In my opinion and on the results I got the only 140mm fan which delivers on good airflow and quietish noise levels were the Noiseblocker PK2 140mm fans. All the other were quieter but much worse airflow, or better airflow and too noisy. Also, Noiseblockers were the only ones whose specs seemed to come close ot my results. The PK2 model was best - very quiet at 900-1000rpm, and quiet at 1200rpm. Excellent motor and respond well to a fan controller or using your fan headers on your motherboard to drop the voltage/rpm. No ticking noises either. Hence I used these on the 700D and 800D builds I had. When it comes to 120mm fans there is more choice. I found the Sharkoon Silent Eage 1000's very very good. However if you are planning to use a 120mm fan or two to cool down a rad then you need a fan with good static pressure rather then just high cfm, and almost all 120mm fans fail in that department with a couple of exceptions like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon models which are very very good but I wanted a fan with 4pin PWM control and the Akasa Apache Black or Akasa Vipers are unbeatable in my view. The highest measured static pressure of any fan I have tested, silent below 1k rpm, and quiet up to 1200rpm which they will hardly ever go over except in stress testing in which case they can go to 1900rpm but again, a very quiet motor and all you hear is air. If using a 700D case and not doing full watercooling then a pair of these vipers on either a H50/H70 (intaking air into the case) or 4 of them on an ECO 240 in push pull exhausting air from the roof, if pretty much unbeatable. And for 140mm fans, Noiseblocker PK2's all round with a decent fan controller. That's my take on it anyway, and I spent hundreds of euro finding this out.
    AHA!

An unprecidented glimpse into the life of the infamous Flaccus. Just where this legendary 'being gets all this money he spends on his Rig, we may never know. But, we now have learnt that he ha(s)d acess to a Laboratory, and many, many free hours to spend testing things.

The fact that he is "between jobs" only add to the mystery...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i recommend ty-140's although they are incredibly ugly

thermalright-ty-140-enhanced-hyper-flow-bearing-1300rpm-140mm-fan-frfa-140ty.jpg

• Advertisement

Very nice reply, loads of useful info, cheers :)

Yea the next step for me is full blown watercooling with a 120.3 rad. Also I want to replace the case fans and hopefully have a very quiet and cool system. Still sorting details now such as configuration of the loop, to push-pull or not, fan controller etc. and going with atleast one 6970 i'll have to wait for EK or someone to make a block for them which should be the last piece before I get it all ordered.

I did consider the H50/70, seems like a great value product but the the Prolimatech Megahalems offering very strong competition and size not being a worry with the 700D I decided stepping up to full loop would be more satisfying.

Do you happen to have any data regarding dead spots and fan shrouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

CIMG0938.jpg
    CIMG0937.jpg
    COOLERMASTER DOMINATOR2 CM-692 BLACK
    Intel® Core™ i7 930 2.80GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 OC'd @ 3.33GHz
    EZcool 120mm black high cfm x3
    Asetek Easter 120mm single radiator
    2x500GB RAID-0
    6GB (3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Mushkin
    ASUS P6T SE Intel
    850watt SLI/Crossfire ready PSU
    Liquid Cooled Nvidia GTX 480 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

Razer deathadder
    Steelseries Siberias v2
    Samsung Syncmaster 940N
    and a crappy keyboard :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are you running the CPU and GPU at stock or OCd? And what kinda temps are you getting with the three 120mm rads? :) Unless you've hidden another one up at the front near the reservoir... :P

Solitaire wrote: »
    Are you running the CPU and GPU at stock or OCd? And what kinda temps are you getting with the three 120mm rads? :) Unless you've hidden another one up at the front near the reservoir... :P

CPU is OC'd to 3.33GHz

rsz_temp.png
    (Note: PC has been on for a couple of days That is probably why the temperature is higher than usual)
    And yes there is another 120mm Asetek easter single in the front

Its still goddamn chilly in there! :D

• Advertisement

Haha, I also need to clean the fans big time :(

Shouldn't be too awful on the exhausts, if it is you need to get more intakes to balance the pressure differential a bit better! And make sure all intakes are filtered because those do get caulked in **** at the drop of a hat! :o

Cheers for the tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

On Flac's advice up there, im ordering me some of those Sharkoon fans !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Speedfan temps are not to be trusted imo.
    For instance it shows your cpu hotter than the cores.Thats not the way the sensors work on x58/i7's.Normally the cores are between 8-15c hotter than the cpu.

Use realtemp or coretemp for the cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

popflop wrote: »
    Steelseries Siberias v2
    Samsung Syncmaster 940N
    and a crappy keyboard :D

quick question popflop before the mod sees my inappropriate post:p

where did you get that steelseries v2? i looked around online but the price+shipping made me wonder do they sell it cheaper than the walk-in shop.

I'm now actively looking for a job so if someone wants to pay me to build their PC's I will......only joking :D

Finding the 250mm sidefan a little loud on the full 12v, although it's mainly air and very little motor noise. Ran it off the Corsair fan controller for about a week and the fan definitely doesn't like less then 12v. Seems to make weird noises. So today I hooked up a 12v military style switch with a white led :). Now I just flick the switch when gaming and fan comes on, and turn off when not gaming. Makes massive difference to temps when on. Also reinstalled the 3rd EVGA GTX 580. I'm curious to see what the story is on the new AMD Cayman 6970. Reviews should be out today sometime. From what they are saying over on OCUK forums it doesn't beat the GTX 580 at all. And I'm willing to bet when they launch the Antilles 6990 in Q1 next year, even if it is 2 full Cayman cores per card, that 2 of them (4 GPU's) won't outperform 3 GTX 580's over quad scaling issues. Although scaling on the new 6 series AMD cards is supposed to be much better then the 5 series, I still have hassles with ATI drivers.

switch1r.jpg

switch2j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Really like the finished look but the switch is gastly in my opinion :(, ruins the whole look of the front imho. Would have been better if you used something a little more discrete.

I don't think it's too bad :) But it's all I could come up with, with the parts I had. At least the cover is mesh, and the switch cover is black and the switch itself has a white led. I do admit the switch cover is a bit on the big side. Might remove it. However I think a better idea is to mount it externally. I have a PCI plate hanging around somewhere which I mounted a 12v external connector to ages ago. Going to mount that in the case and will run the switch cable (which I have sleeved) under the desk. Will mount the switch into a box I'm going to build out of wood :) And will mount the box under the desk with some no more nails strips. About the quickest thing I can think of. Another option I am playing with is to drill a hole in the plastic on the top of the case and just use a standard button switch. Or I could fit it in the front of the case. Could make it flush almost. Hmm...

Doesn't that fan have a PWM line? If it did you could have set SpeedFan to switch it from 0% to 100% once the GPU exceeded say 50°C... ;)

• Advertisement

That was actually the 1st thing I tried. The fan did strange things :D Wouldn't run at a full 12v. Not sure if it's the fans fault or speedfan not detecting my gpu temps properly. Have a 2nd 250mm fan that behaves the same way too, so I think it's a speedfan issue. Anyway, I'm going to remove the switch and probably install a jam switch or something a bit more flush with the front of the case. Seems easiest option for now.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    quick question popflop before the mod sees my inappropriate post:p

where did you get that steelseries v2? i looked around online but the price+shipping made me wonder do they sell it cheaper than the walk-in shop.

Got them on play.com Dont know if posting links is allowed if not sorry :)

Don't be silly! Of course they are! :)

Also thanks for making me sound like some kind of tyrannical monster to the newcomer seraph! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol , you should thank me, mod power is important!!

thanks for the tips popflop! i look everywhere and i came up with the cheapest one atm is prob at pixmania, around 70e.

Ok slight change...

Phenom II X4 955
    WD Raptor RAID 0
    Obsidian 700D
    HIS 6970 Crossfire
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    Corsair Gold AX850

Bit of a crappy picture with my phone but you get the idea, no flashy lights and the stock CPU cooler looks a little pathetic right now but its still good enough for a 400mhz overclock until I can sort a watercooling setup :p
    18122010558.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So much free space in that box:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone seen this thing up for sale on adverts?

http://www.adverts.ie/344967

WOW.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone seen this thing up for sale on adverts?

http://www.adverts.ie/344967

WOW.

Hehe the guy I sold my 6870 to told me about it. You know its getting serious when you have to watercool your motherboard haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

MMiskella wrote: »
    Hehe the guy I sold my 6870 to told me about it. You know its getting serious when you have to watercool your motherboard haha.

He would have gained more by cooling the gfx card instead.

I actually think its very messy looking albeit with some very nice hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

game4it70 wrote: »
    He would have gained more by cooling the gfx card instead.

I actually think its very messy looking albeit with some very nice hardware.
    YE IM WITH YOU ON THE MESSY SIDE TOO AND ITS NOT WORTH THE MONEY EITHER IMO

Advertisement