Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

ED E wrote: »
    Is your spacebar way inferior to the rest of the keys too? (mine was trashed by the courier so it might be a bit special).
    It doesn't have supports on the left and right so moves a bit when you press on the left and right but I don't notice this in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My first full self-build: office workstation for AV editing, general work, and maybe some casual gaming. "Self-build" might be a misnomer - I had a friend talk me through cooler installation, because that was more complex than last time I went near one in 2005. I also needed some advice with wiring up the front panel & fans.
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    • Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4
    • Video: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB
    • Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600
    • NVME: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280
    • NVME: Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280
    • PSU: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum
    • Case: Fractal Design Define S

kat5TLYh.jpg
    parts before

huo5IOFh.jpg
    this doesn't look like a big deal

rWbIExgh.jpg
    on the other hand, this thing is ridiculously big

xvs5FfEh.jpg
    case has incredible access, came in useful later

jd1sn62h.jpg
    hard part done

8F5VKolh.jpg
    all wired up and no where to go

L38Su08h.png
    benchmark

I haven't closed it up yet because the second M2 (Sabrent 2TB Rocket) is still on the way, but it's installed and running. RAM is at correct speed. It's almost completely silent, even with the case open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Trojan wrote: »
    PSU: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum

That would have me sweating a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Where do they get their pricing. R9 3900X-€357? If only you could get it that cheap.

That's some lump of a cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

My first full self-build: office workstation for AV editing, general work, and maybe some casual gaming. "Self-build" might be a misnomer - I had a friend talk me through cooler installation, because that was more complex than last time I went near one in 2005. I also needed some advice with wiring up the front panel & fans.
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    • Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4
    • Video: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB
    • Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600
    • NVME: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280
    • NVME: Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280
    • PSU: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum
    • Case: Fractal Design Define S

I haven't closed it up yet because the second M2 (Sabrent 2TB Rocket) is still on the way, but it's installed and running. RAM is at correct speed. It's almost completely silent, even with the case open.

Slick build my man, very nice specs and neat build. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lad's don't quote the pictures. Nice build though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Where do they get their pricing. R9 3900X-€357? If only you could get it that cheap.

https://geizhals.eu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-100-100000023box-a2064391.html
    It's dropped to around 397-409eur in Germany.

Most likely though they're just taking the USD price ($400-410) and converting it to euro.

Because, and this has to be stressed, Userbenchmark is useless.

mp3guy wrote: »
    That would have me sweating a bit.

Yeah. I do have an old Seasonic M12 850W in the previous machine that I can drop in if there are issues, but I don't expect it. If I was going to overclock at all, then maybe I'd be concerned, but my calculations show I'll never hit the limit even when pushing hard. It's entirely solid state too which helps.

That's some lump of a cooler.

I paid Amazon £440 for the 3900X, and I didn't see any better deals anywhere for 2 weeks before. I know if I held out a couple of months things would change, but I needed the machine now.

The cooler is insanely big. I had no idea what size it was going to be. Compared to the stock cooler on the FX6300 it's replacing, it's 4-6 times the size. But very quiet, as I hoped for :)
    Slick build my man, very nice specs and neat build. Love it.

Thank you!
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Lad's don't quote the pictures. Nice build though.

;)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://geizhals.eu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-100-100000023box-a2064391.html
    It's dropped to around 397-409eur in Germany.

Most likely though they're just taking the USD price ($400-410) and converting it to euro.

Because, and this has to be stressed, Userbenchmark is useless.

I disagree. It's not useful for hardcore benchmarking, but it was really useful for me to do a sanity check on a new build. Is the RAM running at the right speed? Does the graphics card perform to expectations, or maybe I need to install different drivers? etc. For this kind of usage it's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Don't think I'd use it, just on general principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

What am I missing here - what's wrong with the PSU? It's a high quality €150 PSU, not some €20 no-name Chinese PSU....??

This PC under 100% load on GPU/CPU would only draw about 350W?

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    What am I missing here - what's wrong with the PSU? It's a high quality €150 PSU, not some €20 no-name Chinese PSU....??

This PC under 100% load on GPU/CPU would only draw about 350W?

Some people like crazy overkill for PSU. I'm only covering 1.5-2X the max wattage here rather than the 3X+ some folks want.

The other issue is that it's not Seasonic/Corsair, which is a bad thing for some. I'm happy enough with the quality of Fractal Design gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Some people like crazy overkill for PSU. I'm only covering 1.5-2X the max wattage here rather than the 3X+ some folks want.

The other issue is that it's not Seasonic/Corsair, which is a bad thing for some. I'm happy enough with the quality of Fractal Design gear.

I've been using the same Antec 650w PSU in my last 3 pc builds, about 10 years. No issues at all with it in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I used a Coolermaster PSU for 10 years and it's still used by my nephew after I gave him my old PC minus a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really just don't understand what the posters were getting at. It's a high-end €150 660W PSU.

It's the class of PSU I'd maybe consider if I was buying an i9-10900K and 2080Ti....and even then I'd probably not spend that much personally.

A €50 EVGA/Corsair 600W basic PSU would power your build just fine even with plenty headroom.

What do they actually imagine is wrong with the Fractal PSU? :confused:

Homelander wrote: »
    I really just don't understand what the posters were getting at. It's a high-end €150 660W PSU.

It's the class of PSU I'd maybe consider if I was buying an i9-10900K and 2080Ti....and even then I'd probably not spend that much personally.

A €50 EVGA/Corsair 600W basic PSU would power your build just fine even with plenty headroom.

What do they actually imagine is wrong with the Fractal PSU? :confused:

This was not my first choice and I'd probably have spent €50 less if I could (Gold 750W was my aim). The biggest problem I had 2 weeks ago was actually finding a decent PSU in stock anywhere. They were literally out of stock everywhere. (Even this one, but it was back in the day after I ordered). This met my requirements, particularly around noise level so I'm happy.

This motherboard does not have a header for the USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel port.

Any suggestions for an internal card that will connect this at full speed?

fttdUsGh.jpg

I9Kb67yh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are some chinesium ones available, no brands that Id put my name to though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lycom-UB-152-Internal-Profile-Adapter/dp/B07887KLSP/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-PCIe-Gen2-20-Pin-Controller/dp/B07GZTXTWX/

Alternatively there are cheap adapters that will turn USB-C to USB 3.0 normal headers. That will speed cap you but be much cheaper (if you have a spare USB3 header after connecting your other ports).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Wouldn’t let me embed a photo but finally all finished, next upgrade is a RTX3080

https://imgur.com/N5YsLH6

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t let me embed a photo but finally all finished, next upgrade is a RTX3080

Would the massive train not disrupt airflow?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would the massive train not disrupt airflow?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh I never even spotted the train, quite a novelty

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

⬇⬇⬇⬇

N5YsLH6l.jpg

Nice case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Dell Vostro 200 mini tower still going strong after 11 years.

A few upgrades over the years:
    - Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33Ghz
    - 8G RAM
    - GeForce EN210 Silent graphics card
    - SSD
    - Reduced noise case and CPU fans
    - 1Gbps NIC
    - HDMI to a 40" Samsung TV
    - Windows 10

It's mainly just used to watch online content and play the odd older game.

The aul Dell Vostro 200 is still going strong after 12 years. :pac:

Made what is likely to be it's last upgrade.
    Not really a PC gamer but started playing a few more which were struggling, like Cuphead, so swapped the 210 for a GT 1030.
    Should get another 10 years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

UvVfJzI.jpg

Some more unnecessary COVID purchases...

NbwK3JK.jpg

Need to tidy up dem cables a bit more..

Maybe the RGB is a bit excessive...but it blends nicely with my Hue'd house!

I also have the Play bars and Lightstrip all controlled by the Hue app. Really adds to a setup. If you have Razer stuff there's an add on in Synapse too that lets you control Philips Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

OSI wrote: »
    Are you using the Hue Sync app with those bars? I have it synced to a singe desk lamp and quite liking it, definitely considering adding a few bars to increase the effect.

Yea, I have the light strip behind the desk (I got the play bars after) - they make a big difference and sync really well with the app. The effect is much nicer in reality, it doesn't 'photo' well.

I've also got the Hue Dynamic app on the windows store which has a bit more functionality than the official Hue sync app.

Don't have the Razer, but have the Corsair stuff all synced up with different profiles per game/app.

Think i'm running out of things to spend on the machine right now...doubt i'll be able to justify replacing the 2080 with the new series, so think it'll be whatever the next Ryzen offerings are.

(that being said if anyone has any suggestions - i'm always open to ideas!)

Got a Pi last week and setup pi-hole. <- magic!

Back to air i go. No more pump noise at last. Great temps too.

517970.jpg

517969.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Back to air i go. No more pump noise at last. Great temps too.

Where did you get your mouse mat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What do you think of the Katana, Grahamer?

Advertisement