Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ha. Hahahaaahaaahaaaaaa.

Yeah, I knew you'd be along to laugh at that comment :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Inviere wrote: »
    There's plenty of reasons to keep a local media library. A lot of content isn't always as readily available as one might think, and even if it is, there's no attesting to its quality (there's so many cheap/crappy encodes out there). There's a LOT of older content, and even Irish content, that's pretty hard to find online, and when found, is barely watchable.

I love having 1:1 rips of content, particularly of tv shows that I love. The quality of streaming and the ever changing catalogues mean having and managing my own local library is far more preferable to me.

I just question to reality of it. Let me airball and say nice high quality 1080p video (i.e. not WEB-DL garbage quality) weighs in at 5GB/hour. Taking 18TB as the storage size, that's about 3600 hours of media. You work 8 hours a day, sleep 8 hours, commute, eat food, so maybe get 10 hours of TV Mon-Fri and maybe you really like watching TV so watch 12 hours on the weekend. So you have three years worth of watching content at the rate, without discovering *any* new material during that time or rewatching anything.

I don't buy it. You'll end up hoarding, i.e. not watching stuff you're storing. So it seems like a waste to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

mp3guy wrote: »
    I just question to reality of it. Let me airball and say nice high quality 1080p video (i.e. not WEB-DL garbage quality) weighs in at 5GB/hour. Taking 18TB as the storage size, that's about 3600 hours of media. You work 8 hours a day, sleep 8 hours, commute, eat food, so maybe get 10 hours of TV Mon-Fri and maybe you really like watching TV so watch 12 hours on the weekend. So you have three years worth of watching content at the rate, without discovering *any* new material during that time or rewatching anything.

I don't buy it. You'll end up hoarding, i.e. not watching stuff you're storing. So it seems like a waste to me.

I suppose it depends on the type of media consumer a person is. Myself, I do go back to old shows, I do rewatch films, and I love to be able to have it all there at the click of a button - no searching, no ****ty quality rips, just hq content there whenever I want it. I've kept a media library for close to 15 years, and plan to for as long as I live. So you may go on about viewing ratios as much as you like....I get a damned lot of enjoyment from a media library, get to watch all my favourite content in HQ on demand, I get time to watch new content, add it to the library if I wish, discard it if not, and all's good in the world :) - I plan to keep a library for a LONG time, so there's no rush.

Some people watch things once and never again, for such types, a media library makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Inviere wrote: »
    There's plenty of reasons to keep a local media library. A lot of content isn't always as readily available as one might think, and even if it is, there's no attesting to its quality (there's so many cheap/crappy encodes out there). There's a LOT of older content, and even Irish content, that's pretty hard to find online, and when found, is barely watchable.

I love having 1:1 rips of content, particularly of tv shows that I love. The quality of streaming and the ever changing catalogues mean having and managing my own local library is far more preferable to me.
    What I personally can't get enough of is having my whole ~14TB media library in my pocket via my phone anywhere in the world as long as I've got an internet connection.

I got such a thrill of streaming stuff on my phone directly from my server back home in Ireland from all the way around the world in the Philippines a few years back. :D

By the way - I echo the laughter earlier too, my own 19TB is filling up. I need more 10TB NAS drives, you'll be the same before you know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

19 and change here. The server needs a rebuild. Then maybe a JBOD to go alongside.

It never ends tbh.

• Advertisement

My Ryzen desktop is finally done. Last piece of the puzzle came today - the 5700 XT.

I also replaced the Wraith with a Noctua NH-U12S - the Wraith just proved too loud for me in the end.

489822.jpg

489823.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Out of curiosity how much was the Pulse?

I'm eyeing one up but I'm in no rush so I'm thinking of waiting a few months till availability is readily available and hopefully the prices drop by a small bit and I will pick one up then.

Out of curiosity how much was the Pulse?

I'm eyeing one up but I'm in no rush so I'm thinking of waiting a few months till availability is readily available and hopefully the prices drop by a small bit and I will pick one up then.
    €530 I think, delivered from OCUK. Nobody else seems to have the few AIB cards in stock yet.

It might be best to hold off another little bit, there's still some driver issues but mostly just minor niggles. I got one BSOD while browsing with Firefox while browsing a few hours ago. Others have reported it around the web and disabling hardware acceleration in the browser solves it apparently. If that's the only issue I have I'm happy.

The only brief test I've done is that Mass Effect Andromeda on Ultra holds > 60fps at 1440p, my 1070 used to dip into the high 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

z0oT wrote: »
    €530 I think, delivered from OCUK. Nobody else seems to have the few AIB cards in stock yet.

It might be best to hold off another little bit, there's still some driver issues but mostly just minor niggles. I got one BSOD while browsing with Firefox while browsing a few hours ago. Others have reported it around the web and disabling hardware acceleration in the browser solves it apparently. If that's the only issue I have I'm happy.

The only brief test I've done is that Mass Effect Andromeda on Ultra holds > 60fps at 1440p, my 1070 used to dip into the high 30's.
    For that price would you not be better off paying 550 for an rtx 2080?

I still would have gone 5700 XT. But it is mad pricing considering you can pick one up in America on the likes of Newegg for around €400 if you find one in stock but stock will eventually come fully available.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    For that price would you not be better off paying 550 for an rtx 2080?

Truth be told - yes.

If I hadn't got a Freesync monitor that's probably the way to go even if the 2080 is the older card.

I never like paying through the nose for graphics cards, but here there's no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Truth be told - yes.

If I hadn't got a Freesync monitor that's probably the way to go even if the 2080 is the older card.

I never like paying through the nose for graphics cards, but here there's no choice.

Most Freesync monitors work grand with Nvidia cards these days.

Anyway I think people should buy AMD (CPU's and GPU's)anyway even if the competition may be a small bit better in some use cases. Just to support them on the great job they are doing. They are not a massive company compared to the other two who can throw money around like it's nothing.

They competed years ago and even out did the competition and how did people re-pay them by buying from Intel and Nvidia even though AMD was better at times and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyway I think people should buy AMD (CPU's and GPU's)anyway even if the competition may be a small bit better in some use cases. Just to support them on the great job they are doing. They are not a massive company compared to the other two who can throw money around like it's nothing.

They competed years ago and even out did the competition and how did people re-pay them by buying from Intel and Nvidia even though AMD was better at times and cheaper.

I agree with you - but I still went RTX because I like shiny reflections :o

Venom wrote: »
    Most Freesync monitors work grand with Nvidia cards these days.
    Yes, and my monitor is actually on the list of G-Sync compatible monitors from Nvidia. It worked just fine with my GTX 1070.

I'm just trying to make myself feel better about paying early adopter fees & being ripped off with excessive VAT. You're not helping. ;)

Could be worse though - I paid over €500 in total for an i7-6700k just weeks after it launched back in 2015. That one still stings a bit...

Plus I figured I should get the card sooner rather than later, as nobody knows what'll happen at the end of next month with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looking at what could happen if the UK crashes out of the EU is nightmare fuel as regards buying online
    It would just be unfeasibly expensive unless we went to other eu sites in Germany, Spain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Germany is where I get most my PC components from anyhow. Yeah Amazon.co.uk has some good deals every so often but the price is generally lower on amazon.de and other german sites. Only thing is the extra wait for shipping. Even a few Irish sites order their stock from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yes, and my monitor is actually on the list of G-Sync compatible monitors from Nvidia. It worked just fine with my GTX 1070.

I'm just trying to make myself feel better about paying early adopter fees & being ripped off with excessive VAT. You're not helping. wink.png

Could be worse though - I paid over €500 in total for an i7-6700k just weeks after it launched back in 2015. That one still stings a bit...

Plus I figured I should get the card sooner rather than later, as nobody knows what'll happen at the end of next month with Brexit.

Kinda in the same boat myself. Looking to pick up a 2070 Super but the waiting for stock to arrive in and the prices to come down a tad is killing me.

killanena wrote: »
    Germany is where I get most my PC components from anyhow. Yeah Amazon.co.uk has some good deals every so often but the price is generally lower on amazon.de and other german sites. Only thing is the extra wait for shipping. Even a few Irish sites order their stock from Germany.

Amazon.DE saved me over €200 alone on my monitor so always my first go-to spot when I'm looking to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

A lot of the stuff from amazon.de won't post to Ireland I find so you've to add in parcel motel or whatever, adds in another layer of worry for me with expensive stuff as it has two or three couriers involved who might lose it or smash it!

Maybe that element will change if brexit happens and they'll post to us direct.

If you were to buy from Amazon.de or somewhere else based in the EU, generally I've found that the stuff you buy online always travels through the UK before it arrives here in Ireland.

I don't think I've ever had something I bought online that was shipped from mainland Europe not come through the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah most of our imports arrive via the UK, the other option is ferry from France or Spain to Rosslare or Cork which is a lot longer than the few hours the Holyhead ferry takes! Those and airmail will be the way of it if they crash out meaning delivery for stuff will take longer, much longer. Fine for PC hardware, not so much for food and what not! Anyway, thats a discussion for another forum :D

My Ryzen desktop is finally done

I decided to do a few power tests for my own interest today, since I'm running a 3700X & 5700 XT on just a 450W PSU. Sapphire have a 650W PSU down in their recommended requirements.

Despite being way below the recommended requirement, I'm still quite a bit away from what the PSU is actually rated to supply.

Heavy overclocks on the both CPU & GPU would be pushing it, but there might be just enough room for a modest overclock on the CPU based on the numbers.

Here are the numbers which are actually peaks rather than averages. The games are a random collection I have installed at the moment.

It might be interesting for some.

490052.png
    490053.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

S4w9U48.jpg

Had to rotate the CPU cooler again, figure PCIe 16x is better for an RTX card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

NwYZGZr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pulling 400w on a 450W PSU is not a great idea and that's even assuming it's an extremely high quality gold supply. If it is some mid-range supply you are actually creating a risk. Part of the reason professional review sites would recommend a 500w unit even if a system is only drawing down 380w or whatever is to do with efficiency and not pushing components to their limits. I would be replacing my power supply ASAP if you are regularly hitting 400w consumption on a 450w supply, I think most people would say the same.

Homelander wrote: »
    Pulling 400w on a 450W PSU is not a great idea and that's even assuming it's an extremely high quality gold supply. If it is some mid-range supply you are actually creating a risk. Part of the reason professional review sites would recommend a 500w unit even if a system is only drawing down 380w or whatever is to do with efficiency and not pushing components to their limits. I would be replacing my power supply ASAP if you are regularly hitting 400w consumption on a 450w supply, I think most people would say the same.

Absolutely not. 400W from a good 450W PSU is 50W below spec. 100% ok.

This assumes that's z0oT's measurements are from the PSU output itself. If they're from the wall, then he's got even more room, as that doesn't factor in efficiency.

The problem with the internet is anyone can post. Even scientoligists.
    I ran my own system (6700k & 1070) on a 450W Corsair RM just fine for a while too.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9BL0EvNDQ0ODk4L29yaWdpbmFsL0NvcnNhaXJSTTQ1MFBvd2VyRWZmaWNpZW5jeTgwUExVUy5wbmc=

Even at 450W its friggin 89% efficient. And Zoots numbers are from wall. His peak draw was only around 350W of 450 rated.

The reason reviewers say get way more than you need is because ACME PSUs say 700W when they're actually 200W so the penny pincher burn their houses down. With a real PSU you can hit the rating or even a little higher and be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I literally said it's worse if it is a mid range supply. If you have a low to mid-range 450w supply with average efficiency, running at 400w on a rating of 450w is not good. The reason professional reviews recommend 500w supplies isn't because of garbage power supplies, it is because of mid-range/low-end branded supplies. For example no reviewer would ever recommend running a 400w load on a 450w corsair vs450 or a kolink core, would they? Of course not. It's the manufacturers that make the crazy recommendations of 700w for 300w systems to counter the seriously low-end stuff with people that don't know any better, professional reviewers don't do that. Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic about needing a new supply if its a good quality gold rated supply but there are plenty of poor to "just OK" gold units out there in the market too.

TT tested CX450's (Bargain basement PSU) up to 550W and they were absolutely fine. No thermal problems, efficiency still great. You're talking pure sh1te.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sorry dude. You're talking out of your arse on this one. Or perhaps just aren't familiar.

Seriously. Anything with an 80+ rating is good. They can't get that rating without being able to sustain the load printed on the box.

Advertisement