Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoylePoker.com International Poker Open 2008 - Official Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭F@ces

Can't really contribute much more than what others have said, but likewise there's Electric Picnic at the beginning of September. And with the GAA Championship in full swing would it be worth throwing a few leaflets out to people going into croker?

Registered for this last night and was disappointed to see only 11 reg'd. I'm sure you'll have absolutely no probs filling the spaces, but I agree, be a shame to see Irish players missing out on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

carfax wrote: »
    My main worry right now is that with the amount of International players contacting me and already making travel and accom arrangements that there won't be enough seats for Irish players. So how do we get Irish players registering early too?
    lol.
    Yes, we'll be doing a few interviews and that. We are also trying to decide which is best, (a) spend money running lots of ads on radio, newpapers etc or (b) giving away a shedload of cash at the event.
    if you go with b there will be less players to give the money to. I'd go with A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

I was handing out flyers to the Dublin One Hundred at that :eek:
    .quote]
    i didn't see ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

I was handing out flyers to the Dublin One Hundred at that :eek:

Great idea though and one I will definitely pursue....I also hand them out at all the race meetings I attend but I hadn't thought of that one, cheers.

there;s a handful of gigs in marley park at the end of august too.
    • if you're doing main stream advertising cinema ads are great cos unlike tv and radio people HAVE to watch them and are usually in groups, whereas with tv or radio people are alone and can change channel. Cinema adverts will get some word of mouth going hopefully.
    • any college campus (ideally with a poker club) should be contacted in some form. i think for the first one (or the first NSPC) DIT did a 5 euro rebuy qualifier. could be merit to getting colleges to agree to do one or two of them, pick a date, then arrive and do some uber-pimping.
    • hit places like the jackpot/SE/fitz/macau and hand out a load of cheap "BoylePoker IPO 2008, October etc etc etc REGISTER NOW ONLINE" branded tshirts. I'm sure if someone got a free tshirt they will at least KNOW about the event, and at least consider signing up. Though you have to be aware of cost/benefit. For example, if you produce enough quantity, tshirts can be made very cheaply, but if you produce 1k tshirts, this will probably cost 1k which would dent profits in a big way.
    • Also, as for the added money, might it be an idea to put some of that to the side events too? get friday players coming back on saturday, and fri/sat players who have been knocked out coming back on sunday?
    • The main target for this is your recreational pub player, not so much your big money boards pros (:p). Tournaments run by the likes of Celtic Poker Tour, JP Poker, VegasNights, etc would be ideal places to hit with promo material.
    • As for the material itself, people can glance at a poster and bin it and never know what they looked at. find out how much it would cost to mass produce some Boyle Poker IPO 08 card protectors. One side have the main IPO graphic, the boylepoker.com/ipo address, "register online now" etc, and then the other have the dates, event calender etc, ... yea it will be small print but who doesnt like a free card protector eh!? :p also, probably cheaper than a tshirt and people will interact with them. i remember the PPP christmas cracker in the SE everyone got a PPP card protector and people used them for months after. It doesnt even need that much info on it, just BOYLEPOKER.COM/IPO and REGISTER NOW or something.

jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

ditpoker wrote: »
    there;s a handful of gigs in marley park at the end of august too.
    • if you're doing main stream advertising cinema ads are great cos unlike tv and radio people HAVE to watch them and are usually in groups, whereas with tv or radio people are alone and can change channel. Cinema adverts will get some word of mouth going hopefully.
    • any college campus (ideally with a poker club) should be contacted in some form. i think for the first one (or the first NSPC) DIT did a 5 euro rebuy qualifier. could be merit to getting colleges to agree to do one or two of them, pick a date, then arrive and do some uber-pimping.
    • hit places like the jackpot/SE/fitz/macau and hand out a load of cheap "BoylePoker IPO 2008, October etc etc etc REGISTER NOW ONLINE" branded tshirts. I'm sure if someone got a free tshirt they will at least KNOW about the event, and at least consider signing up. Though you have to be aware of cost/benefit. For example, if you produce enough quantity, tshirts can be made very cheaply, but if you produce 1k tshirts, this will probably cost 1k which would dent profits in a big way.
    • Also, as for the added money, might it be an idea to put some of that to the side events too? get friday players coming back on saturday, and fri/sat players who have been knocked out coming back on sunday?
    • The main target for this is your recreational pub player, not so much your big money boards pros (:p). Tournaments run by the likes of Celtic Poker Tour, JP Poker, VegasNights, etc would be ideal places to hit with promo material.
    • As for the material itself, people can glance at a poster and bin it and never know what they looked at. find out how much it would cost to mass produce some Boyle Poker IPO 08 card protectors. One side have the main IPO graphic, the boylepoker.com/ipo address, "register online now" etc, and then the other have the dates, event calender etc, ... yea it will be small print but who doesnt like a free card protector eh!? :p also, probably cheaper than a tshirt and people will interact with them. i remember the PPP christmas cracker in the SE everyone got a PPP card protector and people used them for months after. It doesnt even need that much info on it, just BOYLEPOKER.COM/IPO and REGISTER NOW or something.

jeff

Hi Jeff,

These are all class ideas, which is what we expect from you afterall....I think Boyles will want to steer clear of copying anything Paddy Power did as regards card caps etc....We will definitely look at something along those lines though (only better and different :D).

The cinema ad is really class. I know you mentioned it to me before but I am going to look into it right now.

Talk to you when you get back,
    Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

From memory, these guys handle film ads:

Carlton Screen Advertising
    23 Windsor Place
    Dublin 2

Tel: +353 1 631 0100
    Fax: +353 1 631 0118

zuutroy wrote: »
    From memory, these guys handle film ads:

Carlton Screen Advertising
    23 Windsor Place
    Dublin 2

Tel: +353 1 631 0100
    Fax: +353 1 631 0118

I'm really glad I looked for input on this.....Cheers for that Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I'm really glad I looked for input on this.....Cheers for that Rob.

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

cooker3 wrote: »
    No problem

Oi...you're not the only Rob in the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

zuutroy wrote: »
    Oi...you're not the only Rob in the village!

But he is definitely the only gay.

• Advertisement

Bump #1

Just want to let everyone know that rooms are filling up fairly fast in the Regency itself for October. We have a lot of European players travelling this year.

I would really advise booking early. The following details local accom in the immediate area surrounding the tournament;

Name Contact Number Email Rate Per Night (Breakfast Included) Address
    Regency Hotel "018373544 from €48 per person Swords Road, Whitehall, D.9
    Carlton Airport Hotel "018667500 4 Star from €57 per person Parkway Hse Old Airport rd Cloughran Co. Dublin
    Days Hotel Dublin Airport (01)8669500 3 Star from €36 per person Santry Cross Ballymun Rd Dublin 9
    Clarion Hotel Dublin Airport (01)8080500 4 Star from €55 per person Dublin Airport Co. Dublin
    Premier Inn Dublin Airport (01)8957777 3 Star from €55 per person Airside Retail Park Swords Co. Dublin Co. Dublin
    Clontarf Castle Hotel (01)8332321 4 Star Deluxe from €74 per person Castle Ave Clontarf 3 Co. Dublin
    Great Southern Hotel (01)8446000 4 Star from €36 per person Dublin Airport Co. Dublin
    Dublin Skylon Hotel 01 8843900 3 Star from €43 per person Drumcondra Road, D.9
    Radisson SAS Hotel Dublin Airport (01)8446000 4 Star from €56 per person Dublin Airport Co. Dublin
    Express Holiday Inn (01)8628866 3 Star from €35 per person Northwood Park Santry Demesne Santry Dublin 9
    Crowne Plaza Hotel (01)8628866 4 Star from €78 per person Northwood Park Santry Demesne Santry Dublin 9

B&B From €30 per person (triple sharing)
    Timode House "018372277
    Ferryview House "018335893 www.ferryviewhouse.com 96/97 Clontarf Road, Clontarf, D.3
    Laverna "018375311 127 Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra, D.9
    Abberley House B&B "01 8309359 abberleyhouse@iol.ie 19 Upper Saint Columbas Road, Drumcondra, D.9
    Azalea Lodge 01-8370300 azalea.lodge@gmail.com 67 Upper Drumcondra Road, Dublin 9
    Griffith House Bed and Breakfast 01 837 50 30 info@griffithhouse.ie, www.griffithhouse.com 125 Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra, D.9
    Almara Accommodations Dublin 01 8510512 info@almarabb.com, www.almarabb.com (Accomodates 40 people) 226 Collins Avenue West, Whitehall, Dublin 9
    Flyover Bed and Breakfast 01 8372632 info@flyoveronline.com, 223 swords road, Santry, D.9
    Airport Lodge B&B 01 842 4848 info@airportlodge.ie, www.airportlodge.ie 322 Swords Road, Santry, D.9
    San Michele B&B Dublin 01 8510512 386 Collins Avenue, Whitehall, D.9
    Aisling House 01 8370300 ashlinghouse@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Stephen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I wanna play this but can only play on the Friday - when registering do you pick which day you want or how does it operate?

Mont wrote: »
    I wanna play this but can only play on the Friday - when registering do you pick which day you want or how does it operate?

When registering you pick which day you want. Just log onto BoylePoker.com and check out their "Specials" tournament lobby. Day 1A and Day 1B are listed there separately.

Stephen.

if you can get that accomodation list up onto the IPO website it;d be handy for international players too.

also, do you remember a year or two ago the studentpoker something something. they were over here with ladbrokes, had a game in the fitz, had a huge UK player base might be worth getting in touch with them??

ditpoker wrote: »
    if you can get that accomodation list up onto the IPO website it;d be handy for international players too.

also, do you remember a year or two ago the studentpoker something something. they were over here with ladbrokes, had a game in the fitz, had a huge UK player base might be worth getting in touch with them??

Good thinking Batman, it will be up there in the next few days....I will email you back now in a minute too Jeff.

Just want to let everyone know that flyers will be printed up for this by next week...I would really like to send out a dozen or so flyers to every reader of Boards....If you would like to receive some please PM me now.

The flyers are fairly genious I have to say, can't wait for players to get a bit of a chuckle out of 'em.

Stephen.

Hi all,

A bit of very good news.....Jeff Taylor, aka DITPoker is coming on board the pokerireland.ie pirate ship.....

Jeff is going to be taking the helm for BoylePoker.com IPO 2008 promotion (both online and in card rooms around the country) and with running all four One Hundred tournaments around the country for the next few months.
    Jeff and I will be working to make sure that players get the best possible service before, during and after the BoylePoker IPO....It will also make organising staff and all the other logistical side of things for the event a whole lot easier for me :)

Most players already know Jeff so you will also know how happy I am to have him on board. With so much experience for running quality live events, with a such a strong work ethic and with such enthusiasm for the game of poker I can't think of anyone better to have on board.

*congrats to me* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Hi all,

A bit of very good news.....Jeff Taylor, aka DITPoker is coming on board the pokerireland.ie pirate ship.....

Jeff is going to be taking the helm for BoylePoker.com IPO 2008 promotion (both online and in card rooms around the country) and with running all four One Hundred tournaments around the country for the next few months.
    Jeff and I will be working to make sure that players get the best possible service before, during and after the BoylePoker IPO....It will also make organising staff and all the other logistical side of things for the event a whole lot easier for me :)

Most players already know Jeff so you will also know how happy I am to have him on board. With so much experience for running quality live events, with a such a strong work ethic and with such enthusiasm for the game of poker I can't think of anyone better to have on board.

*congrats to me* :pac:

Congrats to you, and congrats to Jeff. Best of luck! :)

5 euro rebuy side event on sunday of the IPO?

any interest!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 523ISE

Jeff are you trying to start a row in the Regency. alcohol & 5 euro rebuy= mayhem.
    IM IN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Jeff, are you going to write rambley nonsensical long posts in caps lock now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jbopping

Hii Stephen, great job on the promotion of this so far. Just wondering however would it be possible to get a sit and go satellite going on Boyle poker. With regards to the existing satellites they just don't seem to be getting the numbers for real value(I know this is probably due to the fact that it's still 3 months away) and often end up paying out cash which obviously defeats the purpose of a satellite. Something along the lines of a $24 ten seater sit and go would surely attract players and highlight the event even further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Jbopping wrote: »
    Hii Stephen, great job on the promotion of this so far. Just wondering however would it be possible to get a sit and go satellite going on Boyle poker. With regards to the existing satellites they just don't seem to be getting the numbers for real value(I know this is probably due to the fact that it's still 3 months away) and often end up paying out cash which obviously defeats the purpose of a satellite. Something along the lines of a $24 ten seater sit and go would surely attract players and highlight the event even further.

cooker3 wrote: »
    Jeff, are you going to write rambley nonsensical long posts in caps lock now?

hEY ROb, i HOPe tHAT i doNT. IF I Do, TElL me aND i'LL SToP!

Subject bar from an email I received today;
    Portuguese Invasion of Ireland Part II
    This kind of stuff makes me v.happy :D

About 80 Dutch players registered so far (most are transferring their buy-in this week and have flights and hotel already booked).

Expecting about 30-40 French players.

70-80 from the UK (I mean England, Wales, Scotland here).

I'm starting to work on the Scandinavian invasion now.

So I'll repeat this message to all Irish players now again, please register early to avoid disappointment. Please book your hotel (if you need it) early to get the cheapest rates and to avoid disappointment.

Please get behind this tournament in a big way from here on in, its really going to be a big big party that just happens to have a well structured tournament with a €200k odd prize-pool for a €135+€15 buy-in.

Contact me if you need any more information;
    stephen(at)pokerireland.ie

Many thanks,
    Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Any updates or news on side-events stephen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 coprey

Hi Stephen

Good luck with the organisation of this tourney, and as I have said before, mail me a few flyers and I can post them around the campus where I work. Also dont forget to post on some of our other local forums, same as you have done for Dundalk 100.

The recent virgin poker festival was a good buzz and professional player Simon Trumper compared the event, providing commentry on big all-in showdowns involving AA v KK. At the dinner break the score was 6 to 5 in favour of AA. Who said bad beats only happen on-line. Will we see you provide some similar commentry at the IPO?

I intend registering for Day1(friday) coming from the north this means I do not have to book accommodation. Perhaps you could highlight this when you are promoting on the Northern Ireland forums and web-sites.

Good Luck

Col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

I'll distribute some flyers if you want, starting in DKIT in a few weeks

• Advertisement

Any updates or news on side-events stephen?

Hi,

Full info should be here;
    http://www.boylesports.com/sections/poker/d.asp?show=IPO2008_Events

It will be listed in our tournaments section soon too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement