Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BrianJD wrote: »
    Excellant

Sunday it is then, always looking for somewhere different for the dog!

Thanks

No problem. Do me a favour - if you happen to walk along the bit that runs behind the Corbett Court and the army base (i.e., between junctions 14 and 13), please consider bringing your camera and taking a few pictures. I've no idea what the scheme is like along that stretch; there might even be parking areas there. Thanks. My preference for a walk by the way is the option where you park at the Teagasc and walk down the junction 14 slip. The surface is complete here, so it will probably be better for your dog's feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

One question Furet...

PLEASE tell me they've removed the "M8(Toll)" signage. I can't stand it. It's just going to make the whole thing a confusing mess.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    One question Furet...

PLEASE tell me they've removed the "M8(Toll)" signage. I can't stand it. It's just going to make the whole thing a confusing mess.

They have removed some signage from the north startpoint of the Fermoy Bypass, but I don't know if it'll be making a comeback. Probably not. Let's see: the southbound carriageway of the M-F scheme will have ADS and a cantilever approaching Junction 14. I presume this will have the same signage you get at Junction 4 at Urlingford - i.e., the word 'toll' in a rectangular box. New signage will also be erected at the Junction 14 roundabouts, and at Junction 17 northbound as part of the new signage project.

However, I suspect Direct Route won't bother replacing their own unique signage at Junctions 16 (Rathcormac) and 15 (Fermoy South). Perhaps they'll be made to?

Furet wrote:
    They have removed some signage from the north startpoint of the Fermoy Bypass, but I don't know if it'll be making a comeback. Probably not. Let's see: the southbound carriageway of the M-F scheme will have ADS and a cantilever approaching Junction 14. I presume this will have the same signage you get at Junction 4 at Urlingford - i.e., the word 'toll' in a rectangular box. New signage will also be erected at the Junction 14 roundabouts, and at Junction 17 northbound as part of the new signage project.

Will there be a cantilever for Junction 14 Northbound? I'm just hoping whatever they do, the signage will be clear and consistent. However, I somewhat doubt it. The M7 has random ADS signage and gantries, and only four cantilevers (two for J9, two for J17).
    However, I suspect Direct Route won't bother replacing their own unique signage at Junctions 16 (Rathcormac) and 15 (Fermoy South). Perhaps they'll be made to?

Ah yes, the signage they invented themselves that doesn't exist in the TSM or makes no sense. Pointless advisory limits on slip-roads, British-style gore-signs, motorway ahead signage 300 m into the motorway itself...

Will there be a cantilever for Junction 14 Northbound?

Yes thankfully.
    I'm just hoping whatever they do, the signage will be clear and consistent. However, I somewhat doubt it. The M7 has random ADS signage and gantries, and only four cantilevers (two for J9, two for J17).

Ah yes, the signage they invented themselves that doesn't exist in the TSM or makes no sense. Pointless advisory limits on slip-roads, British-style gore-signs, motorway ahead signage 300 m into the motorway itself...

I've just emailed Direct Route and asked them if they have plans to change their signage.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    I've just emailed Direct Route and asked them if they have plans to change their signage.

Hopefully you'll get a good reply...

Well at least J14 is getting a cantilever. Though it makes sense, drivers may need to have it re-inforced that the motorway no longer ends there. It'll feel quite weird initially, not stopping at the roundabouts.

I'm now worried about the signage on the soon-to-be R639 in the area. There is a bucket load of N8 signage there that'll need replacing (it is actually one of the few times I've seen signs correctly patched with the opening of a motorway - they all have simple "(M8)" patches - I was somewhat impressed when I saw that.) Why isn't that included in the contract I wonder?

Hopefully you'll get a good reply...

Well at least J14 is getting a cantilever. Though it makes sense, drivers may need to have it re-inforced that the motorway no longer ends there. It'll feel quite weird initially, not stopping at the roundabouts.

Yup, very satisfying though to have the M8 unified at last!
    I'm now worried about the signage on the soon-to-be R639 in the area. There is a bucket load of N8 signage there that'll need replacing

Cork CoCo are not renowned for their prowess in such matters: There are still N8 signs in Glanmire and Sallybrook!

Cork CoCo are not renowned for their prowess in such matters: There are still N8 signs in Glanmire and Sallybrook!

Yep, and South Tipp CoCo are no better. There are still N8 signs in Cahir, despite it being bypassed twice. This means (according to the incorrect signage) there are three N8s!

Received this morning from DirectRoute, the Fermoy Bypass operator:
    To answer your question DirectRoute has no future plans to change our current signage on the M8. The Fermoy bypass has only been open since 2006 and we would therefore consider the signs to still be modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah not really, when the M6 extensions opened ( to Tyrrellspass and then to Kilbeggan and then to Athlone) there was a seamless transition, cos the cones and barriers were removed. If the Moorepark junction was built correctly, the road'd be done by Easter I'd say.
    Does anyone know if the contractors will be taking a fortnight holidays for Easter?

• Advertisement

No idea Carawaystick. But I'd say the tie-in will be finished by next Friday fortnight, and they've already started painting lines on the tarred section I photographed last weekend.

wrote:
    To answer your question DirectRoute has no future plans to change our current signage on the M8. The Fermoy bypass has only been open since 2006 and we would therefore consider the signs to still be modern.

lol

That's about all I can really say.

lol

That's about all I can really say.

Just rang the NRA; the spokesman said the Fermoy Bypass operators will be obliged to update their signage, though no timescale has been established.

Just rang the NRA; the spokesman said the Fermoy Bypass operators will be obliged to update their signage, though no timescale has been established.

No timescale huh?

I can't exactly say that gives me a lot of hope. What signage will they be obliged to update? The incorrect gore signage, the signage at J14 leading to the new section, the signage at J17 etc.?

No timescale huh?

I can't exactly say that gives me a lot of hope. What signage will they be obliged to update? The incorrect gore signage, the signage at J14 leading to the new section, the signage at J17 etc.?

Unsurprisingly, the spokesman didn't have the specifics "to hand". Also (I'll post it here because I don't want to get everyone's hopes up by bumping the redesignation thread), the delineation works will proceed on all the shemes for which tenders were sought regardless of redesignation. Once again, the spokesman didn't know when.

Well, without wishing to bring this thread too off-topic, I do believe we'll be seeing the majority, if not all stretches redesignated by the end of summer. There seems to be quite a bit of contention, but I doubt much of it is in relation to Watergrasshill-Dunkettle.

3391896353_914c914b02_b.jpg

3391900659_e3680a478d_b.jpg

So, as you can see, grade separation has been achieved, and the mainlines of both schemes are being prepped for union. I think this will be done within two weeks.

Below are some other photos of lining progress and the junction 12 Carrigane tie-in.
    3391910951_9a4b541bea.jpg
    At Kilworth.

3391905707_afa85cd9b3.jpg
    At Junction 14, looking north.

3392735688_53031dc7b1.jpg
    The Carrigane tie-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Oh wow they've had to decimate the Fermoy bypass for this.

Actually, it's not quite as bad as it looks. Very clever engineering on the part of the tie-in contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Thanks a million for the pics Furet. I drove by it on Friday, and did notice the Fermoy tie-in was beginning to take shape. Will be driving by again this evening. Memories of that old N8 will soon begin to fade =0) Hours rolling along at rediculous speed, tractors, trailers, town after town after town. Cullahill to Portlaoise is going to stick out like a sore thumb tho.

Dunkettle is actually starting to annoy me alot aswell. I've been looking at it on maps.google, thinking about ways it might be possible to improve it without rediculous cost. The train line, Ibis hotel, proximity to the coastline, etc would make it a bit of a challenge, as does the gradient coming up from the tunnel, and going up the Dublin road.

• Advertisement

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Try the Hunters Rest in Mitchelstown, not too shabby or expensive

Thanks for that. Stopped off there today and was extremely impressed. Very tasty food, great service, good prices and cosy bar.

larryone wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the pics Furet. I drove by it on Friday, and did notice the Fermoy tie-in was beginning to take shape. Will be driving by again this evening. Memories of that old N8 will soon begin to fade =0) Hours rolling along at rediculous speed, tractors, trailers, town after town after town. Cullahill to Portlaoise is going to stick out like a sore thumb tho.

Yup. I very rarely venture up past Urlingford myself so on a personal level I'll be 99% satisfied when the M-F scheme is done. In a way I'll miss watching the construction works though!
    Dunkettle is actually starting to annoy me alot aswell. I've been looking at it on maps.google, thinking about ways it might be possible to improve it without rediculous cost. The train line, Ibis hotel, proximity to the coastline, etc would make it a bit of a challenge, as does the gradient coming up from the tunnel, and going up the Dublin road.

Last summer someone on here drew up a fairly complex proposal to improve Dunkettle. I've no idea who did it though, and I can't remember which thread it was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I **think** it was Victor, but I cant remember.

I drew up a sketch at one stage and lost it. It was relatively difficult to do, but became quite easy once one set of traffic lights were added :(

Here it is (I tagged it with 'dunkettle'): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56573886&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Thanks guys, some interesting stuff there.

Signage is being erected at last. Have to say though, I disagree with the decision to mark Tipperary at junction 13. That's a bad call in my opinion.

3407476088_7497f61079_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Was Tipp signposed near here from the old N8?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Colm R wrote: »
    Was Tipp signposed near from the old N8?

Nenagh was if i remember correctly.

Also that picture,, the road has quite a bend on it!

Kilmallock was signposted, as was Limerick. The best way to Tipp town from the M8 are exit 10 (N24) at Cahir and exit 9 at Cashel.

RE the bend: my camera was on high zoom, making the bend seem very sharp. It's not like that in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Signage is being erected at last. Have to say though, I disagree with the decision to mark Tipperary at junction 13. That's a bad call in my opinion.

I agree in theory, but in reality the N24 is no better than an R road anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement