Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

So it's the 20th of April and we still haven't heard a reply about what the craic is with everytging! Frustrated.gov.police.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

weepete wrote: »
    So it's the 20th of April and we still haven't heard a reply about what the craic is with everytging! Frustrated.gov.police.com

As i've said before, I believe no news is good news.

If it was a simple open and shut case of them not being able to or wont use the current merit list, we would have been told by now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Gee-22 wrote: »
    As i've said before, I believe no news is good news.

If it was a simple open and shut case of them not being able to or wont use the current merit list, we would have been told by now imo.

Would be inclined to agree with you on this

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Well folks, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but got the dear john letter this morning.

Dated from the 18th, it says the PSNI has now appointed the last intake of successful candidates under the 50/50 arrangements. There are no plans to continue with further student officer intakes at this time. It is therefore unlikely that we will make any further offers of appointment from the merit list, unless operational and financial circumstances dictate. Thank you for your interest in this competition, and I hope you will consider re-applying in the future.

So that appears to be the end of that. Surprised I appear to be the first to receive it as I am based in the Republic, thought someone in the north would have got it first. My stats are under 90 on the merit list & RC. Guess its good to finally know whats happening.:(

FFS i knew i was going to scud it with my last post :(

Mike - did you have your vetting and medical completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Medical was done, last I heard from Vetting,was Ongoing, which was at the end of January, didn't check since. May check with them to see how long the medical will last me for and if my vetting ever cleared, but not now as I am going back to sleep after getting that lovely letter.

Gutted. I had everything done.

The past 7 campaigns 50/50 has stopped me getting in. Now that it's gone, it's stopping me get in. :mad:

"unless operational and financial circumstances dictate."

What about the dissident threat and the £245million extra funding they asked for and got? Ah well sh€% sticks to that roll on the next receuitment campaign, plenty of time to get fit then

Back to the drawing board then I guess.

PSNI has now appointed the last intake of successful candidates under the 50/50 arrangements. There are no plans to continue with further student officer intakes at this time. It is therefore unlikely that we will make any further offers of appointment from the merit list, unless operational and financial circumstances dictate. Thank you for your interest in this competition, and I hope you will consider re-applying in the future.

If you receive a letter saying the above, would they be able to turn around and offer you a place in say 4 or 5 months time?

The reson i ask is, they seem to be leaving a door open by saying "unless operational and financial circumstances dictate". What happens if operational and financial circumstances dictate they need more students? can they then reverse the Dear John letter?:confused:

PSNI is prob best to answer that.

If you receive a letter saying the above, would they be able to turn around and offer you a place in say 4 or 5 months time?

The reson i ask is, they seem to be leaving a door open by saying "unless operational and financial circumstances dictate". What happens if operational and financial circumstances dictate they need more students? can they then reverse the Dear John letter?:confused:

Agree with you on the above it is a dear john but door has been left slightly ajar so at some point in the next 12 months I suppose you could get a call - as someone who has completed everything and simply waiting on a call I am gutted but life goes on for the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Were '' operational and financial circumstances '' to change then of course I can't see there being an issue with them contacting people to ask if they are still interested. Lord knows how many times we have heard of people who had got Dear Johns and forgotten about it all subsequently getting a call a few months later asking if they were still interested.

I suppose that the door could be described as slightly ajar therefore , though I would caution that for now it's best to assume that it's game over , I certainly would advise anyone planning travel , education courses , new jobs , etc , to go ahead and do it - do not be putting your life on hold for what is realistically for now a very, very long shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I wish I was. At this stage, I only know what you lot tell me about the current recruitment status. Once you're in the job, you don't really have any reason to contact Recruitment. I only wish I could be more helpful.

psni wrote: »
    I wish I was. At this stage, I only know what you lot tell me about the current recruitment status. Once you're in the job, you don't really have any reason to contact Recruitment. I only wish I could be more helpful.

Would you say that they would/could use the current merit list in the next 5/6 months if they required (even after sending dear John letters out)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is absolute speculation:

Yes - If another intake was to be approved in a few months, they only have one source of potentials and that's the merit pool. Now that 50/50 is over, there's no obligation on them to recruit on that basis so I reckon if they needed 50 Student Officers, they'd just take the 50 who are highest in the merit pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Evening all. Got the dreaded dear john today as expected. Ahh well what can we do
    except keep ourselves healthy wealthy and happy untill the next time? (Which hopfully wont be that far away). Hopfully in a couple of years they will need a large intake and we can start all over again.

Well Hello mr. Dear john, i've been expecting you, lets hope its months not years before they open the door again

My goodness this place has certainly died a death. Suppose everyone is just dropping by now and again instead of the usual every two hours!

That seems to be the case gig - nothing seems to be happening , nothing to report all means very little to post about....:rolleyes:

Delancey wrote: »
    That seems to be the case gig - nothing seems to be happening , nothing to report all means very little to post about....:rolleyes:

Can't see anything happen until after the summer. I'm still clinging to the hope they may take a few more intakes from c16. I will keep that belief until my vetting/ medicals lapse in December.

Why do they lapse in December Gee?
    Know what you mean Delancey-bad times!

• Advertisement

Why do they lapse in December Gee?
    Know what you mean Delancey-bad times!

They were both completed in dec, and they last for a year. After that you would need to do them again.

They were both completed in dec, and they last for a year. After that you would need to do them again.

Yeah there was a time when after a year a candidate simply had to sign a form stating they had no health issues and their medical was still ' good ' - no longer the case , perhaps somebody turned up at GV 5 stone overweight :) .

oh right- well my vetting is still on going so maybe they wouldnt need to send new forms.
    Any other plans to try for different police forces or you just gonna hold out for the PSNI?

I was actually just looking at the mets website again and they are changing the way they recruit. In a nutshell there wont be any external appointments but you can gain entry by becoming a special constable, which they are currently recruiting. Interesting idea but im sure a lot of people dont have the time or flexability to spend x amount of time volunteering.

I think recruitment opportunities in forces across the water will be very limited - budget cuts seem to be the order of the day.

In the Republic the Garda is downsizing to 13,000 - they currently have a freeze in place since May 2009 and speculation is that this may continue for years.

For now the outlook is really not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

This really is a test of eveyones patience. Im really lookin forward to the "buzz" of the next campaign getting underway.

Buzz35 wrote: »
    This really is a test of eveyones patience. Im really lookin forward to the "buzz" of the next campaign getting underway.

I see what you did there! aye well dont think too many will be holding their breath mate! Im just on the look out for something fulfilling to do in the mean time, my current job is driving me nuts-although I am happy to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I see what you did there! aye well dont think too many will be holding their breath mate! Im just on the look out for something fulfilling to do in the mean time, my current job is driving me nuts-although I am happy to have one.

Gigity, I know how you feel, my current job is mind numbing! But after the website announced no campaign for 2011 I went on to the internet to look up volunteer services, St John's Ambulance, Search and Rescue, Coastguards, emailed all of them. One eventually got back and I've been attending their sessions and got an interview, so hoping I can get starting.

Class would love to try something like that-pity theres no sea or huge mountains near me, would be interested in the st johns ambulance one as I actually applied for the latest paramedic jobs as well. I the meantime im gonna go and fit some blue lights to the sides and roof of my car!

• Advertisement

Start my new job tomorrow - after two yrs out of work looking forward to it, nervous as hell but at least its a job - maybe just maybe I will get a call later in the year but not going to worry about that just yet

Advertisement