Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options
  • 15-06-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

As suggested by psni (and also known by the feelings of many of us), here is a General thread.

Created to bring back some of the social aspect to the forum, as we all felt split up by the breakdown of sections in the process.

Hopefully questions and answers will still go on in here :D

So, back to normal then -
    Anyone get any more Calls in the past 2 days then? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Hey..looks like this thread is stalling a bit. Yeah i dont like the big class break up. I be in and out of the garda one and you can see the tumbleweeds blowing by at times! I was regretting this day but why was it that it was split in the first place? was it to be better organised so that people at different stages canjust go to whatever stage they are at for info? There was a big advantage of having the ol skool guys mingling with the C14ers, they really gave us good tips and advice..so thanks to all and hope ya all still stick around. CSI LAs Vegas in 30mins, its gonna be a good one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

this is such a random one, anyhow..

speaking to the wife of a current garnerville guest, she told me he watched a post-mortem just recently as part of the training. Now, I feel up to anything else if I get in, but this, no. Having lived with 3 forensics (I know) at uni, Im scarred by previous talk of post mortems let alone having to watch one take place. I understand what being an officer involves, and know I could give 110% to what would come my way. But seriously, this one thing, I couldnt.

I really have went on. To cut a long story short, is this mandatory? I sound like such an eejit now.

cheers , squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

squirrel81 wrote: »

speaking to the wife of a current garnerville guest, she told me he watched a post-mortem just recently as part of the training. Now, I feel up to anything else if I get in, but this, no. Having lived with 3 forensics (I know) at uni, Im scarred by previous talk of post mortems let alone having to watch one take place. I understand what being an officer involves, and know I could give 110% to what would come my way. But seriously, this one thing, I couldnt.

I really have went on. To cut a long story short, is this mandatory? I sound like such an eejit now.

cheers , squirrel

As a police officer, I'm pretty sure you may have to witness worse than a post mortem. RTA's, for example, can be pretty messy. At least the post mortem is "clean" (in a morbid kinda way).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

squirrel81 wrote: »

cheers , squirrel

No it's not mandatory, but it's recommended to help you come to terms with what you might have to face some day. Better to get it out of your system with your intake than face it in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Cheers for that psni and carlty, all true what you say. Going to put it out of my mind and concentrate on the AC for now. Talk about getting ahead of myself :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stephen142

Jeez some of the guys and girls have already recieved their Vetting forms after their A/C.
    they're C14 people, and so am i. but my A/C isnt for another 7 weeks!!! lol.

just hope they dont accept loads of lower scorers at the june stage and only accept very high scoring people at august.

hopefully they keep a fair and steady pass mark for everyone until everyone has completed their A/C :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

stephen142 wrote: »
    Jeez some of the guys and girls have already recieved their Vetting forms after their A/C.
    they're C14 people, and so am i. but my A/C isnt for another 7 weeks!!! lol.

just hope they dont accept loads of lower scorers at the june stage and only accept very high scoring people at august.

hopefully they keep a fair and steady pass mark for everyone until everyone has completed their A/C :(

Its hard to not be disheartened when you see this happening, I am in the same boat as you, practically one of the last sets of Acs to be done.

BUT

Everyone is marked against the same set of criteria. so it doesnt matter if you're first or last to to sit ac, you could still be No1 in the merit pool after all the results are in - remember they cant do the merit list until all the marks are in.

Those who have got vetting forms have probably scored quite highly and therefore willbe well placed in the pool. I was told that anything about 56/70 is a good pass and would be a good indication that you will be offered training BUT NOT GUARANTEED.

Unfortunately not much in this process is guaranteed!
    People can fail vetting and medicals.

Just concentrate on doing your best - if you score well and pass vetting and medical then yo're in with as good a shot as the rest of the pack, irrespective of when who did what.

Theres also no rhyme or reason as to the way intakes are formulated - those getting vetted and medicals first may not be in any of the early intakes and yet we might.

Go with the flow, its all you can do!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

I am totally lost with how many threads are now going!!

I've been wondering if perhaps they (consensia or psni?) have picked a pass mark for the a\c this year and everyone who passes that automatically gets sent vetting forms? It just seems that an awful lot of people (on this forum) are receiving vetting forms very soon after a/c compared to last year (going by the original forum messages) - surely they can't all be scoring ridiculously high marks to be receiving them so soon? I haven't done mine yet and am now thinking if I don't receive vetting forms within a fortnight of finishing the a/c that I obviously haven't been an obvious pass and will only get through if not enough reach the pass mark (similar to the IST marking)?

Either that or this forum has attracted the incredibly good candidates :D

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

I am totally lost with how many threads are now going!!

I've been wondering if perhaps they (consensia or psni?) have picked a pass mark for the a\c this year and everyone who passes that automatically gets sent vetting forms? It just seems that an awful lot of people (on this forum) are receiving vetting forms very soon after a/c compared to last year (going by the original forum messages) - surely they can't all be scoring ridiculously high marks to be receiving them so soon? I haven't done mine yet and am now thinking if I don't receive vetting forms within a fortnight of finishing the a/c that I obviously haven't been an obvious pass and will only get through if not enough reach the pass mark (similar to the IST marking)?

Either that or this forum has attracted the incredibly good candidates :D

What do you think?

They must have picked a pass mark, I think that now anyway!
    I still don't think they'd send out the vetting 'willy nilly' - it'd be a waste!!
    I hope that's a case anyway!
    There's always the good possibility that everyone on this board is class though......:cool:

I was told the pass mark for the AC was 40 out of 70 and that basically if you only scored 40 then you were deffo applying for the wrong job.

It seems that scores in the high 50's and above gets you vetting/medical/a room in the hotel!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

can anyone out there give me some detailed info on some things with-in the psni please.

1. what type of side arm do officers carry on duty and what training is done. what is done with the weapon off- duty

2. what type of training is done for driving,

3. what style of self-defence is teached in training and is it useful and is it on going or does it stop as soon as u finish training like the gardai.

4. what other self-defence items does a officer carry, like the baton, is it of good lenght or a short thing like the gardai. pepper spray etc.

i am a big kid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You won't be getting detailed answers from me, or any other serving officer to those type of questions. You're asking for us to disclose confidential information there.
    redsurfer wrote: »
    hi all

can anyone out there give me some detailed info on some things with-in the psni please.

1. what type of side arm do officers carry on duty and what training is done. what is done with the weapon off- duty

3. what style of self-defence is teached in training and is it useful and is it on going or does it stop as soon as u finish training like the gardai.

4. what other self-defence items does a officer carry, like the baton, is it of good lenght or a short thing like the gardai. pepper spray etc.

i am a big kid

psni wrote: »
    You won't be getting detailed answers from me, or any other serving officer to those type of questions. You're asking for us to disclose confidential information there.

Sorry, was being a bit short sighted there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

hey,

this my have already have been mentioned in another thread, so apologies if it has; salary aside, can anyone tell me what the total package would include when joining the PSNI, like additional benefits etc

im just curious,

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

hi all

i am a big kid

There's a little boy in a lot of us that would like to know the answers to a lot of those questions. Hopefully we'll find out for ourselves though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MrAnderson

faceman08 wrote: »
    hey,

this my have already have been mentioned in another thread, so apologies if it has; salary aside, can anyone tell me what the total package would include when joining the PSNI, like additional benefits etc

im just curious,

many thanks

Hey, you may have already seen this but here's a link that might answer some questions,
    http://www.selectnip.org/indexREGcar.asp?id=other_info.asp

If you have a nosey around the rest of the site, it's quite comprehensive on what to expect with the job.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

Thanks very much Mr Anderson,

it certinly gives me a bit more of an insight to the job,

Thanks

hi all,

was wondering if anyone got any idea of when the next round of phone calls is going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

hi all,

was wondering if anyone got any idea of when the next round of phone calls is going around

Hi redsurfer. The next intake after Aug is 7th Sept, so I would presume the calls will go out last week of July and first week of August. Fingers crossed for ya :)

thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Here's a question for anyone who can answer!

Are TSG cops the only ones that go about in tangi land rovers?
    And are TSG cops the only ones that wear the jumpsuit/boilersuit uniforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

TSG are the ones in the tangi's

Yes they wear the public order suits but i think other cops are issued with them too. Ask PSNI he will know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Fo

And are TSG cops the only ones that wear the jumpsuit/boilersuit uniforms?[/QUOTE

Hi, I don't know about the uniforms however my ex is a regular cop and he's been in tangi's and land rovers. I guess tangi's are just needed for some rougher areas. Non?

And are TSG cops the only ones that wear the jumpsuit/boilersuit uniforms?

The lovely "jumpsuit" is issued to everyone as part of your standard uniform kit these days. And no, TSG aren't the only ones in the Tangis.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

My mates based in Oldpark and has only passed out of training less than a year, and he is out and about in Landrovers all the time. I think it depends on where you are and what the situation is.

wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

the community police officers in ballynafeigh used to drive around in a landrover before they got a new van! probably just depends on the circumstances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Hi mate, I was wondering how being in the police in NI affects car insurance. Being in the forces bumps it up a little so I'm guessing the same for police. But a friend mentioned about if you have additional driver training (advanced driver I guess?) this can reduce the premium. What's your take on it?
    Ta

Answered via PM.
    JVB wrote: »
    Hi mate, I was wondering how being in the police in NI affects car insurance. Being in the forces bumps it up a little so I'm guessing the same for police. But a friend mentioned about if you have additional driver training (advanced driver I guess?) this can reduce the premium. What's your take on it?
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Since consensia warned people about this forum and im sure the psni dont really approve of it. Im wondering how come they have never tried to hun you down Psni, since it was you who started it

• Advertisement

Since consensia warned people about this forum and im sure the psni dont really approve of it. Im wondering how come they have never tried to hun you down Psni, since it was you who started it

I know. Poor Belfast Peelers blog bit the dust cos he got found out.:(

Advertisement