Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Class would love to try something like that-pity theres no sea or huge mountains near me, would be interested in the st johns ambulance one as I actually applied for the latest paramedic jobs as well. I the meantime im gonna go and fit some blue lights to the sides and roof of my car!

Where do you live, NI or RoI? The organisation I am trying for is going to try and recruit more volunteers in the summer as they haven't many people yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Im from NI. Would be interested in a bit of voluntary work as I say need something fulfilling to do in the mean time!

1967J wrote: »
    Start my new job tomorrow - after two yrs out of work looking forward to it, nervous as hell but at least its a job - maybe just maybe I will get a call later in the year but not going to worry about that just yet

Good luck with the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Im from NI. Would be interested in a bit of voluntary work as I say need something fulfilling to do in the mean time!

I sent you a message about the unit, I hope you don't mind.

Congrats on the job 1976J! I've just got me an interview next week for a sort of half related police-ish type job :D Bricking it because it's another all day type interview, but if I could get this job I would be more than happy to wait out the next few years or so in it until recruitment picks up again (if ever!) My current job however, no way...I will go mental if I have to coast along in it for much longer!

Time to brush up on the ol' situational responses now and do myself proud :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Congrats on the job 1976J! I've just got me an interview next week for a sort of half related police-ish type job :D Bricking it because it's another all day type interview, but if I could get this job I would be more than happy to wait out the next few years or so in it until recruitment picks up again (if ever!) My current job however, no way...I will go mental if I have to coast along in it for much longer!

Time to brush up on the ol' situational responses now and do myself proud :rolleyes:

Good luck with that - hope all goes well for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A couple of weeks ago we had Martin McGuinness declaring to his supporters that Constable Ronan Kerr R.I.P. was a Sinn Fein voter.
    At the weekend just gone we had Peter Robinson ' dedicate ' his poll success to Ronan's memory .

There are those who may claim this is supportive of the dead officers family , now maybe I an over-sensitive or intolerant but am I the only person who considers these politicians words to be intrusive , insincere and utterly vile ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

I have to agree Delancey, they are using his death and memory as a political crowbar to gain support for areas they would not normally, like some say osama bin ladens "apparent" death was only to strengthen obamas political race for the forth coming election, after 3 bad years. As you said loathsome politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Would tend to agree also, well definitely about Sinn Fein comments. Don't shoot me down hear but is it possible that DUP comments were a response to the fact the Kerr family asked people to vote 'pro-peace' parties? Surely it is feasible that some voted because of this. Don't get me wrong I don't think any death should be used for political gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Delancey wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago we had Martin McGuinness declaring to his supporters that Constable Ronan Kerr R.I.P. was a Sinn Fein voter.
    At the weekend just gone we had Peter Robinson ' dedicate ' his poll success to Ronan's memory .

There are those who may claim this is supportive of the dead officers family , now maybe I an over-sensitive or intolerant but am I the only person who considers these politicians words to be intrusive , insincere and utterly vile ?

+1

I found the comments by both of them to be lacking in taste and tact.

Bakerboy, I can see where your coming from, but I don't think that the Kerr family's comments should be hijacked by any political party. The electorate may well have responded to their request, but that shouldn't mean that any political party can claim a degree of ownership for this.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, just playing Devil's Advocate. I'll also point out my views are slap in the middle of each party. So not defending any comments by either.

Agreed, I actually thought I had misheard the Peter Robinsons comments when I heard them on the radio today. If any party is using the death of a person as a tool for gaining popularity/votes they should hang their heads in shame.

In addition to this and im not starting a political debate but does seem insulting to dedicate poll sucess to the death of someone who allegedly voted for a party with completly different long term views than DUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I see the Central Scottish Police are currently recruiting. Could anyone clarify the situation on this. If you say applied to them then you would have to wait 6 months from the date of rejection or pulling out to apply to say the psni?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Personally, I don't have a problem with Sinn Fein or the DUP speaking up against the death of Ronan Kerr, even if it is for political gain. This is preferable to how previously Sinn Fein would never have condemned the death of a police officer in NI and in fact would have attempted to justify it and the DUP would have used it as another hate stirring stick against the Catholic population here.

I feel the more his death is mentioned and kept in the news, the more people will remember that we need their support against these killers.

Bakerboy - I'm not sure what you mean about the DUP being a pro-peace party? If you mean they signed up to the Good Friday agreement, I think you'll find Sinn Fein did also, so when the Kerr family asked everyone to vote for peace, I'm quite certain they didn't just mean the DUP - I would think they meant all the pro agreement parties.

I do take your point Delancey that there may well be political motives behind both the DUP and Sinn Fein's support of the Kerr family, but I feel from a police officers point of view, it can only help Community relations to have these parties united in condemnation of the death of Ronan.

JMO :o

MBC x

MustBeCrazy, I think you will find that I never said Sinn Fein were not a 'pro-peace' party. I am very aware that they signed upto the Good Friday Agreement. In fact I believe if both the DUP and Sinn Fein hadn't made the decisions they have we could be in a very different country today. But that's bordering on being a post for the politics section.

You may have noticed I have said "parties", to my knowledge Sinn Fein hasn't said their success was dedicated to Ronan Kerr's death. The comment Delancy referred to was in the run up to the election. I simply stated that the DUP response was possible connected to the statement by the Kerr family. I am quite aware they asked people to vote for peace and not just the DUP, and haven't said anything of the sort.

You may want to read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

quickcatch wrote: »
    I see the Central Scottish Police are currently recruiting. Could anyone clarify the situation on this. If you say applied to them then you would have to wait 6 months from the date of rejection or pulling out to apply to say the psni?

That would sound about right.

Don't miss the opportunity to apply for the CSP in the hope the PSNI will advertise any time soon. Can't see it happening and if it does will be small numbers.

Get your application in for CSP ASAP!

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Personally, I don't have a problem with Sinn Fein or the DUP speaking up against the death of Ronan Kerr, even if it is for political gain. This is preferable to how previously Sinn Fein would never have condemned the death of a police officer in NI and in fact would have attempted to justify it and the DUP would have used it as another hate stirring stick against the Catholic population here.

I feel the more his death is mentioned and kept in the news, the more people will remember that we need their support against these killers.

Bakerboy - I'm not sure what you mean about the DUP being a pro-peace party? If you mean they signed up to the Good Friday agreement, I think you'll find Sinn Fein did also, so when the Kerr family asked everyone to vote for peace, I'm quite certain they didn't just mean the DUP - I would think they meant all the pro agreement parties.

I do take your point Delancey that there may well be political motives behind both the DUP and Sinn Fein's support of the Kerr family, but I feel from a police officers point of view, it can only help Community relations to have these parties united in condemnation of the death of Ronan.

JMO :o

MBC x

ahhhh...i think you'll find the dup didn't sign up to the agreement, they actually walked out of the talks, then, 4 years later they stole the uups clothes...

Mod Note .....

OK folks , lets stay on topic - remember we're talking about politicians and their comments ( appropriate or otherwise ) about Ronan Kerr (R.I.P ).

Please and thanks

Quickcatch I had a look at thewebsite for the scottish police, would be eligable to apply I mean after getting john deered a few weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Delancey wrote: »

I think McGuinness's comments were exactly as you describe them - No one has the right to claim the voting preference of the dead and I was pretty annoyed about it as it appeared to me as an electioneering tactic.

Peter Robinson's comments were OK imho though. Significant that they were after polling took place, and he didn't make any suggestion Kerr would have wanted that outcome, just that he was dedicating to victory to his memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

The number of bomb attacks in Northern Ireland has almost doubled in the last year, police figures have revealed.

The number of viable devices planted across the region rose from 50 to 99 and were mainly used to target police officers.
    "There is a severe risk against police services and they know that," PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Alistair Finlay told UTV

http://www.u.tv/News/NI-dissident-bomb-attacks-double/21d2155c-3e84-4d66-92b2-437f2df123a3

Yes , that was interesting to see Gee , that grenade attack on the Police in Derry/Londonderry the other evening was very scary - it was not an improvised or home-made device that was thrown but rather a purpose made military grenade that luckily did not detonate.

I been wondering lately if there is a reason why (thankfully) the majority of these bomb attacks have not been going of. I remeber being told before that there were cases in the past were devices and guns had been disabled by security forces before they were put to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I been wondering lately if there is a reason why (thankfully) the majority of these bomb attacks have not been going of. I remeber being told before that there were cases in the past were devices and guns had been disabled by security forces before they were put to use.

You may not get an answer to this as it is obviously a security sensitive issue.I know that its a bit of a quiet period where recruitment is concerned and that chat on here is a bit limited but please be wary of what you post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,746 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's not really anything to do with PSNI Recruitment, and no serving officer is going to comment on anything operational, especially something this sensitive.

Yeah no worries, on reflection I didnt think so. Just went of on a bit of a tangent as things do now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Hey folks, quick question for you all, does anyone know if any work at all has started on the new police college? When is it due to open?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,746 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hey folks, quick question for you all, does anyone know if any work at all has started on the new police college? When is it due to open?
    Work hasn't started, and there is no set opening date. Even if there is one announced, be skeptical because a project of that size is bound to run in to difficulties along the way.

Feel free to admire artist's impressions of what it should look like when it's complete.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a target date of being open for 2014 - whether that happens or if indeed that is still the target remains to be seen.

Advertisement