Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

No offence gigity but the average score of 58/70 NRC and 49 RC are far from even.......In fact if you look at it, the lowest score for an NRC appointee was 54/70 which is considerably higher than the average score for RC appointees which was 49/70.

I understand that in the Patten system we can only compete for the spaces available according to our percieved religion, but the point is that this should not be how it works - not the place for arguing politics so I will try not to go on too much.

I only posted about the average an lowest scores as people on here may like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

wanadrum wrote: »

I understand that in the Patten system we can only compete for the spaces available according to our percieved religion, but the point is that this should not be how it works - not the place for arguing politics so I will try not to go on too much.

It's not an easy process for anybody, regardless of gender,class and religion. The fact remains that 50/50 exists/existed for a very valid reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ElizaB

Shampon - it may exist for a valid reason but that does not make it the best solution! Faults within the service are far from being the most pertinant factor in the skewed representation of PSNI, yet PSNI have been forced to adopt a less than ideal solution in order to rectify the issue, when there is a lot of external factors also.

As far as I am concerned, it should be the best person for the job, simples! That is not the way it is working out. It makes a mockery of a very expensive recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hi Shampon,

I agree it is not an easy process, my point is that it is not a fair process either, the scores supplied in the FOI response show the extent of the difference in the required level of performance based solely on religion.

I wonder what the next month will bring in terms of news regarding 50/50.

A friend of mine told me that he had received an e-mail in work saying that 50/50 is ending - not sure how credible that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Read a report from the Police Federation that 400 FTR and Patten Redundancy takers are leaving in March. It also states the the PSNI has taken on 200 new recruits taking the total number of officers up to 7200 approx but that Patten recommended that there be 7500 officers in peacetime.

The Federation wanted those 400 officers retained, personally though, I hope they use newbies to replace them.

So fingers crossed, they do decide to hold another recruitment campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

It doesn't make financial sense starting a new campaign when they have already paid out for a campaign they haven't exhausted yet.

They have people like us who have our medical and vetting passed, ready to go at the moment. So why start again? If 50:50 ends just start at the top of the merit list and work down it. It's not rocket science.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    It doesn't make financial sense starting a new campaign when they have already paid out for a campaign they haven't exhausted yet.

They have people like us who have our medical and vetting passed, ready to go at the moment. So why start again? If 50:50 ends just start at the top of the merit list and work down it. It's not rocket science.

There can't be that many left on the list now. Plus there will be people who were taken off the list because of 50/50.

If 50/50 remains, the C16ers should continue being taken in. If 50/50 is abolished there should be a new campaign and the C16ers with a good merit score added to the new applicants who get to that final stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Goonerdee wrote: »
    There can't be that many left on the list now. Plus there will be people who were taken off the list because of 50/50.

From what I read on the last FOI that someone linked it said that candidates who pass the AC are pooled in 3 groups, progressing, wait till March or dear John which we already know.

So if 50/50 ends and there aren't many left from the progressing people why can't they just vetting for the wait till march people because 50/50 wouldn't have removed any of these people from the list. It would only have kept RC's in that should have been Dear Johned. So surely just recruit solely from merit from this point on and the middle of the list could supply some more recruits quickly and more cost effectively than starting a new campaign.

Seems logical and fair to me.

Lucky23 wrote: »
    From what I read on the last FOI that someone linked it said that candidates who pass the AC are pooled in 3 groups, progressing, wait till March or dear John which we already know.

So if 50/50 ends and there aren't many left from the progressing people why can't they just vetting for the wait till march people because 50/50 wouldn't have removed any of these people from the list. It would only have kept RC's in that should have been Dear Johned. So surely just recruit solely from merit from this point on and the middle of the list could supply some more recruits quickly and more cost effectively than starting a new campaign.

Seems logical and fair to me.

It would be, but of course that list isn't endless and the sooner everyone on that list are either in the police, have quit or been dumped the sooner we can see how recruitment stands

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Since everyone around here seems to be talking about him at the moment, it seems Patten is heading to the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12582339

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

fefe5 wrote: »
    Since everyone around here seems to be talking about him at the moment, it seems Patten is heading to the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12582339

Thanks for that fefe - lets hope his first reform is to scrap BBC involvement with the Eurovision :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 orchard1

There will be no police recruitment process during 2011, according to the join psni website

orchard1 wrote: »
    There will be no police recruitment process during 2011, according to the join psni website

:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/

Now THAT is a kick in the teeth! Tbh this gives hope to those in the merit pool, which I aint in!:(

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Reading that hurt more than reading my dear john :(
    It was kind of obvious there wasn't going to be but I was always just hoping (praying!) there would be, wishful thinking got my hopes up a little! Time to get the thinking cap properly on then and figure out what I'm doing with my life, I simply cannot stay in my current job for much longer, even another year would do my head in...and I suspect that's it for a few years now atleast...the recruitment freeze has finally properly begun folks :(

And the board will get very quite with no recruitment to chat/complain about!!

Just glad that im still in the pool with everything passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

One way ticket to oz please..................................................................

One way ticket to oz please..................................................................

New Zealand maybe lol. Read on the Newcops website (NZ police recruitment site) a few weeks back that they are holding a large recruitment campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Pretty cool- being a cop in a sunny country what more can you ask for?

Disappointing news for a lot of people to learn that there will be no recruitment this year . Having said that , at least it is now official and nobody is under any illusions or false hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

well that just plain ole sucks, but fingers crossed they'll be working with the current merit pool and not stick us in with the new merit pool, not that there will be one now.

Thats bad news for the one's who got their dear johns this time round, just a new level of frustration i suppose.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Just glad that im still in the pool with everything passed.

You and me both - hopefully we will get the opportunity to meet up during a stay at the hotel that is GV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Keep your eyes on the boards so we can see how many recruits drop out of garnerville after last nights incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

I got through to external appointments by email and received this reply

"PSNI have made offers for the final 50:50 intake. External Appointments will advise all remaining applicants by letter after the intake in March 2011".

Dont know what this letter will say but I suppose the reply adds to the depression......

sharan wrote: »

"PSNI have made offers for the final 50:50 intake. External Appointments will advise all remaining applicants by letter after the intake in March 2011".

Dont know what this letter will say but I suppose the reply adds to the depression......

Don't be knocking back those anti-depressions yet merit pool boardies. Key words are "final 50:50 intake".

I must say External Appointments seem remarkably confident that 50/50 is ending - I certainly would not bet on that being the case.

I will take this as what they believe to be the final 50 50 intake - think it was mentioned earlier in the post that no one really knows whats going on at the moment, I for one have to take the positive and hope and pray for a few more intakes - as do a fair few of us

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Hope your right Delancey, just received another email from Vetting and they have stated that my vetting was ongoing and .....

"should it be required by external appointments we would hope to have it completed as soon as possible".....eh?

• Advertisement

Hope your right Delancey, just received another email from Vetting and they have stated that my vetting was ongoing and .....

"should it be required by external appointments we would hope to have it completed as soon as possible".....eh?

Liking the sound of that - bring on some more phone calls

Advertisement