Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Daisy76 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I have my IST next week. I wasn't nervous until I read the comments on here lol! How long do you get for the IST?

To be honest it's of no benefit know how long you've got or how many questions.

Once you do it you'll understand. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I have my IST next week. I wasn't nervous until I read the comments on here lol! How long do you get for the IST?

To be honest the last couple of times I took the IST I was too worried about time and how much I had left!! This time I never looked near the clock and just worked flat out until they said pencils down!! Try not to panic and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

What do we reckon the pass mark will be for this the 1509 campaign?

Just wondering will it be up or down what with less applicants than previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

What do we reckon the pass mark will be for this the 1509 campaign?

Just wondering will it be up or down what with less applicants than previous years.

They want a certain number to get through to the AC so it'll depend how everyone does. It's usually around 48-52 to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rndj

Hi everyone, it's been some time since I posted here. I got through my IST last week, it's the third time I've done it having passed it once before only to miss out at AC. Personally I found the IST as difficult as previous attempts simply due to lack of time to answer the questions. I went into this one knowing that I wouldn't answer them all and I estimate that I answered around 58-60 (including around 18 in part one) if I thought it would take more than a minute or so to answer, I skipped it and moved on with the hopes of answering as many as possible as quickly as possible. So, hopefully I've answered enough correctly to get through. My advice to anyone taking the test for the first time is not to beat yourself up if you don't answer all of the questions, 99% of us are in the same boat. Good luck to everyone yet to take the test and for those of us that have, fingers crossed for some good news in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

How does everyone feel after the IST?
    I can't get the bloody thing out of my head!
    I found it as hard as ever. It really doesn't get easier with practice - in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

From what folk are saying on here I'm assuming that it's not the same paper as previous campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blui2

It's not the same paper as last time. Same format, but not the same paper. C1 and C2 were the same paper. C3 is different.

Was it really bad I was hoping they'd be the same again :P

I had hoped that too!
    But, no such luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Just out of it. Seemed to be the exact same exam from 2 years ago, maybe I'm wrong though. Just time to wait now for results. On a side note, I feel old in that test room with all the kids applying and I'm only 29!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

Just out of it. Seemed to be the exact same exam from 2 years ago, maybe I'm wrong though. Just time to wait now for results. On a side note, I feel old in that test room with all the kids applying and I'm only 29!!
    Me too, quite alright to be honest. The third bit got me a bit stumped. Good luck everyone and hopefully see some of you at the next stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

Had mine this morning as well, was probably one of those kids that you noticed considering I'm only turning 18 lol, first two parts were alright, the third part was difficult I thought!

FFS I'll be practically prehistoric!!!!

Maybe it was the dress code..... I was suited ready for work straight after. Had to sprint from city centre to test site and came in drenched in sweat... I'll call it fitness training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Typhoonf2

Had mine today as well. Thought the first two sections where straightforward enough but that last section through me and didn't get a good bit of it finished.

Typhoonf2 wrote: »
    Had mine today as well. Thought the first two sections where straightforward enough but that last section through me and didn't get a good bit of it finished
    Add your reply here.

I'm feeling an urge to underline the through ;)

Add your reply here.

I'm feeling an urge to underline the through ;)

Lol you're bad!!!! I like you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soalpy

Anyone else think it was the same exam as last few times? 3rd bit very difficult?

soalpy wrote: »
    Anyone else think it was the same exam as last few times? 3rd bit very difficult?
    It was the exact same I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I'm 90% sure they're not the same papers; similar but not the same.

Either way, still have to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 5031

Believe it or not I found the last section the most fun lol I studied maths and physics at a level so data processing is something I would consider I'm good at. I was terrible with spellings in school so the first part was actually the hardest for me. Each to their own I guess!

Passed the IST in a previous campaign and decided not to continue in the process. Fingers crossed for this one then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

soalpy wrote: »

Test 1 & 2 seemed new but the third test was definitely the same as the last time.

Momc82 wrote: »
    IST completed also.
    Really p***ed off to see people still colouring in frantically after time. Honestly felt like putting my hand up and squalling on them!

I have done the IST more times than I care to remember, but for the first time the girl behind me was asked to rub out her last answer as she marked it after the time. First time for everything.

Sat mine this week. The age of those sitting the exams are definitely getting younger. Although I look at least ten years younger than what I am, most seem to be Uni age.

The wonders never seis Gee! Good to see you back!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

They are very similar but not the exact same, we had time on our timetables to do the IST you lot have just done and give some feedback on it. Hopefully if yous all get in you will do the same also. Found it so so much easier when there was no pressure and we did not have to pass it or found out our marks haha.

3rd bit is definitely the hardest I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daisy76

Sat my IST this this week as well. Have passed before so i hope too again but the AC scares me more. Anyone any experience of it? Really don't like role playing and i believe there are 3 of them to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Sat my IST this this week as well. Have passed before so i hope too again but the AC scares me more. Anyone any experience of it? Really don't like role playing and i believe there are 3 of them to do.

I'm the same, I hate roleplays, it feels like a really unnatural situation to be in, but passed in 1309 campaign.

When you go in you just do what you have too and afterwards it isn't as bad as you expect. Personally worrying about it would have made the nerves worse, I just put it at the back of my mind until the AC.

Advertisement