Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bradyle wrote: »
    I am currently half way through Words of Radians Sanderson's new book. Really good so far. Really enjoying Shallan's storeis a lot more than I did in the previous book!
    Halfway through a 1088 page novel on its first day of release :eek: Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Playboy wrote: »
    About a third of the way through "The Many Coloured Land" and enjoying it so far but not blown away.

I really enjoyed it but much preferred her galactic milieu series. intervention, which is the opener for both series is such a good book. haven't read it in about 15 years. might have to dig it out again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

ixoy wrote: »

I had a day of travelling yesterday so spent a lot of time sitting in airports/on planes really it came out at the best time for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That's nothing, I could read Crossroads of Twilight in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Bought the Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris today. Can't wait to start into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Read Gardens of the Moon. It was OK, nothing ground breaking or anything. I'll keep going because it didn't really disappoint, but tbh I don't get all the fuss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Finishing off Andromeda's Fall by Dietz. Guns, Killer Robots and the Foreign legion in space - perfect for relaxing on the w/e.
    Starting Sanderson Radiance next, that might take a little longer.
    Read also back in the day May's Pliocene/Multi-Coloured Land series. I thought it excellent, and approved as the series progressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Ender's shadow a week back; not impressed at all to be honest. I'd say that's the final nail in the coffin for me on the Ender universe (the author's personal oppinons don't help either).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finished The Martian which I thought was very good, reading Brothers Karamazov of all things now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished mistborn book 1, I liked it, I liked the magic system in it, some bit dragged on though, reading the fall of the governor book 2 now, is book 2 of mistborn worth picking up? Ive read mixed reviews on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Finished mistborn book 1, I liked it, I liked the magic system in it, some bit dragged on though, reading the fall of the governor book 2 now, is book 2 of mistborn worth picking up? Ive read mixed reviews on it.
    Is book 2 the one with all the dinner dances? That sucked hard and nearly made me drop the series. Worth getting through for the sake of book 3 though IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I just finished the first Mistborn book also, really really enjoyed it. Just started book 2 and it seems ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I've read it. If I had the choice knowing what I do now, I wouldn't bother. Its contrived and at all times you are aware the characters are being written to meet the books ends. So no, not particularly well written, average at best, and definitely not worth investing 2000 pages of reading to.

Currently reading Blood Song. It's my second attempt and I'm currently thinking it's brilliant! 20% through and it has me hooked.

Funny thing. Me and my partner are sharing my kindle. I'm reading Blood So g and her Stormfront by Jim Butcher.
    I picked up the kindle today to read a bit and noticed that blood song was read further along than I stopped. She had read about ten pages last night when she went to bed, thinking it was Stormfront.
    I said it to her and she told me she was thinking it was a strange section of Stormfront and was wondering where the vampire consolidation came from!?
    Why a person should not read when tired? How could you get them mixed up and what the heck is the vampire consolidation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Currently reading Blood Song. It's my second attempt and I'm currently thinking it's brilliant! 20% through and it has me hooked.

Funny thing. Me and my partner are sharing my kindle. I'm reading Blood So g and her Stormfront by Jim Butcher.
    I picked up the kindle today to read a bit and noticed that blood song was read further along than I stopped. She had read about ten pages last night when she went to bed, thinking it was Stormfront.
    I said it to her and she told me she was thinking it was a strange section of Stormfront and was wondering where the vampire consolidation came from!?
    Why a person should not read when tired? How could you get them mixed up and what the heck is the vampire consolidation?

Women ehhhh :p :pac::D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Getting stuck into the tome that is "Words of Radiance". 9% in and very enjoyable so far - Sanderson seems to have a good grasp of pacing this time and it's clear how he's developing as a writer, as against some of his earlier works such as:
    is book 2 of mistborn worth picking up? Ive
    read mixed reviews on it.
    Worth it yes. It drags a little sure but it still had enough to entertain me and expands the Mistborn world further as well as introduce some new plot arcs for the third book.

Worth it yes. It drags a little sure but it still had enough to entertain me and expands the Mistborn world further as well as introduce some new plot arcs for the third book.
    Just finished it there. I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first book but I felt it was setting up for the final book. It was interesting to read the aftermath of the first book. They had succeeded but was it for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Reading Before the Flood by Margaret Atwood, sequel to Oryx and Krake, based on reccomendations from here and the What Books have Affected You thread but Im finding it so dull and pointless and its nearly finished, definite drop in quality from Oryx and Krake.

Blood Song is brilliant. Taken my time getting through due to a lot of reading time taken up by my history modules.
    If it was during the summer, I reckon I would have findings it in a few days. It's one of hose rare books. Also I think it probably has ignited my rabid desire for fantasy books again.
    Once more into the breach - unless it's a Gurkish (spelling) one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Started The Furies of Calderon series by Jim Butcher, on book 3 at the moment and really enjoying it.

Definitely recommend this series.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thargor wrote: »
    Reading Before the Flood by Margaret Atwood, sequel to Oryx and Krake, based on reccomendations from here and the What Books have Affected You thread but Im finding it so dull and pointless and its nearly finished, definite drop in quality from Oryx and Krake.

Thought the same myself. Oryx and Crake was great, but Before the Flood just seemed like exactly the same novel from a different perspective. Couldn't get the reason why it was written at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Just finished Words of Radiance the other night...

I hate sounding like a gushing fanboy, but it really is a stunning book and the one of the best I've read in some time.

Sanderson's best so far.

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Just finished Words of Radiance the other night...

I hate sounding like a gushing fanboy, but it really is a stunning book and the one of the best I've read in some time.

Sanderson's best so far.

Have it sitting there in front if me. Just have ken or two things to do before I dive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished Blood Song and can already tell I'll be re-reading it before the sequel comes out. The structuring of the story-telling is superb and it's refreshing to come across such good prose in fantasy writing. Have already given a copy as a present to a friend and would certainly recommend it.

About a third of the way into Raymond E. Feist's Magician. Not sure if it's just the kindle copy I have but the editing seems quite poor, a lot of sentences missing full-stops etc. but I'm enjoying the story so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just finished Emperor of Thornes by Mark Lawrence, which necessitated a re-read of the second part King of Thornes. Pretty good more or less sums it up; I enjoyed the anti-hero nature of the protagonist, the world building was ok but...everything was a bit signposted and I really felt it lacked a bit of depth. Having said that it's an ok page turner, just didn't quite manage to really grab me in a 'must stay up late and finish this' kind of way.

Toss up between getting back to Malazan or Jennifer Government for me next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Thought the same myself. Oryx and Crake was great, but Before the Flood just seemed like exactly the same novel from a different perspective. Couldn't get the reason why it was written at all.
    Currently slogging my way through Madaddam by Margarat Atwood, the third in the Oryx and Crake series, plenty of fantasy sites and blogs rate these as some of the best sci-fi out there and Oryx and Krake was okay but the last 2 are like a bad joke.

I didnt think it would be worse than Before the Flood but it is so dull, remember when those Jar-Jar Binks characters came to South Park and only Cartman found them funny? This is a whole book about them except the author is being genuinely serious.

Jakovasaurs_South_Park.jpg

All the main characters are literally just moping in a field, they're eating mushrooms and building a mud hut and talking to these Jar-Jar things and its all so pointless, I find myself paying more attention to the % complete indicator on the ebook than the actual plot, worst books Ive read in ages but I might aswell finish it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished the Heroes, I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as some of his other work.
    About 2/3rds now through On The Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds. Not as good as his Redemption Space books, but it is an improvement on the first book in the series.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I finished the Heroes, I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as some of his other work.
    About 2/3rds now through On The Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds. Not as good as his Redemption Space books, but it is an improvement on the first book in the series.

Abercrombie's work for me hasn't lived up to the First Law trilogy so far. Red Country was bit of a let down to be honest.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Abercrombie's work for me hasn't lived up to the First Law trilogy so far. Red Country was bit of a let down to be honest.
    Is The Blade Itself good? I have it sitting on the shelf, haven't read any of Joe Abercrombie's books before.

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. I enjoyed it was different from how I imagined the direction it would take. Loved the first book and the others while good, seemed different.

• Advertisement

wyrn wrote: »
    Is The Blade Itself good? I have it sitting on the shelf, haven't read any of Joe Abercrombie's books before.

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. I enjoyed it was different from how I imagined the direction it would take. Loved the first book and the others while good, seemed different.

Definitely recommend reading it, or at least attempting to read the trilogy. The story itself can be a bit generic fantasy and that can be be said to be even more true of the characters - lots of fantasy troupes being trotted out.
    However, things change as the book(s) progress and it is a rewarding read.
    Quite funny at times too and if you're a reader who enjoys their fantasy to be a bit more violent and dark Abercrombie is your man.
    Sex scenes on the other hand...

Advertisement