Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 Irish DTT: BCI & Launch issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Karsini wrote: »
    You need a DB9 female-female serial null modem cable.

Yes have all that but Humax needs a hdf file to flash to the box which is not in the "humax exe" ? the only file shown on the Humax website is the UK one so need the Irish version of the software in hdf format if anyone can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Does the fact that we are Mpeg4 mean that the DTT on new televisions is useless?

Yes if the receiver doesn't support MPEG-4, some do at this time but most don't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Valentia wrote: »
    Does the fact that we are Mpeg4 mean that the DTT on new televisions is useless?

In a lot of cases the TVs with Digital tuners which are not MPEG4 compatible may have a CAM slot which *may* accept an MPEG4 decoder card (note: even if there is a CAM slot, this in no manner guarantees a decoder card will work- from other threads in this forum you'll get an idea of the sorts of trials and errors encountered by folk).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

John Dough wrote: »
    Yes have all that but Humax needs a hdf file to flash to the box which is not in the "humax exe" ? the only file shown on the Humax website is the UK one so need the Irish version of the software in hdf format if anyone can help?

The HDF file is in the EXE. Its an exe written so that you dont have to use the Humax loader. It was written to simplify the process of flasing the box all you need to is double click it.

Forget the UK site, this was written for the Irish spec.

Take out the hdmi, try the scart or the composite cable. Working now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

smccarrick wrote: »
    www.dvbshop.net

Seeing as almost 30 have been sold to Ireland in the past 2 weeks, I'm not surprised they are out of stock. I rang and was told they are expected back within 10 days though- and they are taking orders regardless. Shipping is DHL (2-3 days). Make sure you order the Viaccess CAMs not the Conax ones. If you don't want to wait- Satellite weekly have 4 or 5 different retailers in their ad pages (based in the UK- dvbshop are in Germany). The Viaccess CAM seems to be £15-£20 more expensive than the Conax one from the UK retailers. Maybe they've cottoned onto inherent demand from here? ****.....
    OK smccarrick,

So not availble in Ireland yet only Germany, and UK for £20 -£30 extra? I still don't understand how these things work so please excuse my ignorance! it appears that these cams are simply holders that take a smartcard of some discription that fit into the CI slot in the TV so what card is needed? They're not all guaranteed to work niether are they??? Confused!

Peddyr wrote: »
    OK smccarrick,

So not availble in Ireland yet only Germany, and UK for £20 -£30 extra? I still don't understand how these things work so please excuse my ignorance! it appears that these cams are simply holders that take a smartcard of some discription that fit into the CI slot in the TV so what card is needed? They're not all guaranteed to work niether are they??? Confused!

The CAM has circuitry which enables the decoding of an MPEG4 signal from a digital stream (while your TV may only have the circuitry from MPEG2). The slot in the CAM is for the addition of a card like a phone card, which would have a unique value attached to it, for the purpose of decoding premium film channels- while the CAM on its own, without any card inserted in it, should be capable of displaying MPEG4 pictures which are broadcast without further encryption. The reason to go for the Viaccess CAM, rather than the Conax one- is when Boxer do start to broadcast an encrypted stream- it is presumed they will use Viaccess as the encryption method (similar to what they are doing in Sweden, Latvia and elsewhere), but this is not guaranteed.

Whether or not the CAM works in your particular TV depends on the CAM slot being present, and the software that is installed on your TV set supporting decryption of the video stream via the CAM (it may simply try to forward only encrypted streams to the CAM for decrypting- ignoring whether the stream is an MPEG2 or MPEG4 stream). Some makes and models seems to support CAMs without any probs whatsoever- others can be highly problematic.

Hope this helps,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

With a loft aerial in Maynooth that worked for the MPEG-2 trial, shouldn't I be able to get *something*? I understand that the signal's MPEG4 now, but I'm getting 0 channels found on my Bravia (not even radio!) and nothing on my Cinergy Hybrid DVB-T stick.

Bummer... Anyone got any advice? Our analogue gives a pretty good RTE1/2, poor TG4 and diabolical TV3! :S

pnag wrote: »
    With a loft aerial in Maynooth that worked for the MPEG-2 trial, shouldn't I be able to get *something*? I understand that the signal's MPEG4 now, but I'm getting 0 channels found on my Bravia (not even radio!) and nothing on my Cinergy Hybrid DVB-T stick.

Bummer... Anyone got any advice? Our analogue gives a pretty good RTE1/2, poor TG4 and diabolical TV3! :S

Depends on where you are pulling the signal from- but it does sound a bit strange. If its a directional antenna how about aligning it for 3Rock and seeing what the story is? I have no probs whatsoever pulling everything from 3Rock on a Bravia (with an MPEG4 CAM).

S.

Hi smccarrick!

It's a 48 element loft aerial, that to be honest, is just plonked in the attic; no particular attention was given to where it's pointing! As I said though, it did work before?

So, how should I best align for 3Rock? Thanks for the help so far!

• Advertisement

You're in Maynooth- so align it ~10 degrees south of east- and give it a shot. Play around though- its entirely possible that you may pick up some of the other transmitters.

Yikes, will do!

I do know that my Wii power block interfered with the signal something terrible before, but that's off now... I'll give it a shot this evening!

smccarrick wrote: »
    The CAM has circuitry which enables the decoding of an MPEG4 signal from a digital stream (while your TV may only have the circuitry from MPEG2). The slot in the CAM is for the addition of a card like a phone card, which would have a unique value attached to it, for the purpose of decoding premium film channels- while the CAM on its own, without any card inserted in it, should be capable of displaying MPEG4 pictures which are broadcast without further encryption. The reason to go for the Viaccess CAM, rather than the Conax one- is when Boxer do start to broadcast an encrypted stream- it is presumed they will use Viaccess as the encryption method (similar to what they are doing in Sweden, Latvia and elsewhere), but this is not guaranteed.

Whether or not the CAM works in your particular TV depends on the CAM slot being present, and the software that is installed on your TV set supporting decryption of the video stream via the CAM (it may simply try to forward only encrypted streams to the CAM for decrypting- ignoring whether the stream is an MPEG2 or MPEG4 stream). Some makes and models seems to support CAMs without any probs whatsoever- others can be highly problematic.

Hope this helps,

SMcCarrick

That's great SMcCarrick,

Thank you very much for clearing that up and explaining it for me - sorry for my total ignorance of such things! I have two DTT TVs of UK spec (MPEG2) Samsung LE19R86BDX and a Sanyo CE32LD81-B. Both have CI slots and I'm wondering if there's anyone on the forum here that knows whether or not MPEG4 cam will work with these models?

Many thanks again.

Peddyr

pnag wrote: »

This might be of interest brought my Sony DVD with digital tuner to a m8s house between Maynooth and Leixlip which are nearly on the same level at Intel and had to retune to get anything but received the 8 channels as mentioned earlier but now there is no video as they are testing mpeg 4 but great signal with amplified Lidl indoor aerial pointing at Hewlett Packard factory direction!!:D

Peddyr wrote: »
    That's great SMcCarrick,

Thank you very much for clearing that up and explaining it for me - sorry for my total ignorance of such things! I have two DTT TVs of UK spec (MPEG2) Samsung LE19R86BDX and a Sanyo CE32LD81-B. Both have CI slots and I'm wondering if there's anyone on the forum here that knows whether or not MPEG4 cam will work with these models?

Many thanks again.

Peddyr
    No experience with those models but the Humax STBs and TVs with Ci slot are the most cam friendly on the market but then who knows what cam they will use in the end ,perhaps the most secure encryption NDS with videoguard cam???

Well, the latest in my TV "saga"...

Discovered our 3 bed semi-d is south to north facing (as in, front of the house is pointed south). Climbed into the attic, and after about an hour of fixing and cajoling the aerial, got it pointed just south of east.

The result? Well, analog wise RTE 1 and 2 are slightly worse, TV3 and TG4 better (still "snowy") and the digital? Not a sausage, no channels found via the TV or my DVB-T stick. :(

The problem (I think) is, east is right into the concrete blocks of our neighbours roof! Anyone got any suggestions/ideas?

I notice that a few posts back in this thread that someone reported reception in Maynooth using an indoor aerial. If thats the case then try this combination (I've tried quite a few and this has produced the best results - near a window obviously).

Philex SLx1 1 way TV Aerial Signal Booster. ( Up to 20db adjustable gain)
    1099_2.JPG
    Used in conjunction with one of these - Dvb-t Digital/analogue Set Top Antenna 21KYBkzxiAL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

About 25-30% improvement in poor reception area on Northside of Dublin.

Less than €20/5 for both.

Also check that your TV is MPEG4 before you go off and buy this gear because you will receive nothing if its the case that your TV is not.

Hi,

My TV's a Bravia (MPEG2 only) but I may buy one of the recommended MPEG4 cams, as I know they work with this line. Even so, I should be able to scan & tune in the channels, but get no picture, right? And I've always got my PC DVB-T stick anyway (and CoreAVC h.264 codec!) I always scan on both, just for the hell of it...

So, thanks for that! Now, where do I buy one? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Can pick up all the channels using PC DVB-T usb stick from Clermont Cairn.
    Using DVBDream with CoreAVC H264 codec, but can only view RTE2.
    No picture or sound on any of the other stations or no radio ???
    Anyone have any ideas?

John Dough wrote: »
    No experience with those models but the Humax STBs and TVs with Ci slot are the most cam friendly on the market but then who knows what cam they will use in the end ,perhaps the most secure encryption NDS with videoguard cam???

Purchased a Viaaccess MPEG-4 CAM from www.cdtronix.com in the UK for £50 Stl which works in both the afore mentioned Sanyo and Samsung TVs but doesn't appear to work in my Humax PVR9200TX but signal too bad to test successfully at present. There is a lip synch problem though! Will keep you all informed as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Apologies if this is in the wrong Forum. Father-In-Law has new Wharfedale TV bought in Argos, living in Wexford, not too far from Mount Leinster, was tuning it in for him today, got the 4 terrestrial channels on Analogue, hooked up his dish, then I was able to get a Digital TV signal for the four TV and 4 Radio Stations, only snag was there was no picture for the TV stations. Is an analogue aerial the wrong option? Do I need to buy one of those One For All aerials that were given out as part of the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

All aerials will receive analogue and digital signals equally successfully or poorly. Those one for all aerials were useless so I made an aerial out of solid electric wire (in the shape of a dipole found on Yagi UHF aerials) and it worked better for both analogue and digital.

Anyway, the problem is with the TV. It can't decode the newer mpeg4 video compression. The wharfedale TV can only use the older mpeg2 used in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thanks for prompt reply, I'd be sick if it were me! Lucky he's easily pleased with the analogue signal and his Satelite TV.

Once again, the plot thickens...

So, I've established that our house runs from south to north (front south facing), or at least "ish". That would make east right through our semi-d neighbours! And that's where our loft antenna is currently pointing :(

As per STB's recommendation, I bought a powered antenna (and a separate powered amplifier - I'm terrible for gadgets...)

Long story short, and given where the tv is (ie not at a window) I got nothing, all over again. Now, when I tried it with a DVB-T stick on the PC upstairs that is at a window, we get everything! 85% signal strength. I should qualify that, though; we get no picture and dodgy "burbly" digital-noise sound, but if I point the loop of the indoor powered antenna to the front left hand corner of the house (what I would have thought would be SE) it's perfect!

It's decided then; another attic expedition this evening, and the loft antenna going to be pointed that way too. Really weird thing I noticed though, the indoor antenna gave perfect digital picture when pointed that way, but only if I stood behind it???

Any suggestions/tips would be very welcome!

pnag..... the indoor aerial has to be near a window (on a window cill preferably) with line of sight to the skies preferably. If there are buildings in the way (take them down!), they will block the ability of the signal getting in. JUst use an extended length of coax to junction the TV with the amp so that you can get to the aerial near the window.

I would imagine this is the issue with the loft aerial too (you dont really have it pointing through your neighbours house surely!)....

also re indoor aerial: did you get as suggested above or what did you get.. I hope I picked up on this wrong - tell me the aerial isnt powered already (it doent have a plug does it) because it would be extremely dangerous to power an already powered aerial.

The DVB-T stick - mpeg4 software being used is core AVC ? Sounds like a software or possibly a hardware issue with the PC.

You'll need to get one of the NP4 cams to convert the signal to mpeg2 so your TV can display the picture. Check the recent threads for compatability (I've noticed a few posts lately to say they were not compatiable with certain models of TV)

Hi STB!

Tis a powered aerial, but I knew enough to not power the powered aerial! :)

Anyway, long story short, with all the shenangians and getting a decent signal (ish) by pointing the indoor antenna a particular way, I climbed back into the attic last night, disassembled the loft aerial, reassembled in a different location, and pointed it along the same (rough) bearing as I had the indoor antenna.

With baited breath, I plonked in the amplifier too, did a scan with DVBViewer Pro on my media centre PC, and presto-chango, the 4 channels absolutely crystal clear! Woo hoo! Thanks so much for all your help!

Now, if i can figure out a way to get Vista MCE to display the new fangled MPEG 4 DVB-T channels, I'm laughing, but some hope of that! Even with the new TV pack that "leaked", it's a way off yet.

Ok good stuff, glad its up and running.

Re Vista MCE, I am afraid you will have to wait for "Fiji" update to come out for Vista, that will support MPEG4, but I understand copyright is a major concern ie the ability to record MPEG4 etc, so there may be a delay with its release.

Alternatively you could have a look at this (Media portal)........ (the Kiwis have the same spec as us and it seems a nice alternative)

http://tech.nztechie.com/2008/04/configuring-mediaportal-for-freeview-nz.html

Hello again!

I'll be sure to have a look at that - as for Fiji? Well, let's just say I've got it, and still biiiig problems. H.264 support has been dropped, so not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i'm using aver media usb stick-getting perfect sound but no video. anybody any ideas? it was working prior to July switch off.

• Advertisement

You need a H.264 codec installed such as CoreAVC or PowerDVD 7.3 or later for the video to work.

Advertisement