Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 Irish DTT: BCI & Launch issues

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When I started out in life, an elder engineering co-worker told me something very true. 'Efficiency is in the wallet!.' If it does the job for less, it is more efficient. If DTT gives the stations people want for less, then they will go for it. If a few years time, all TVs and other receiving equipment will be able to receive all standards. When Europe were trying to decide on a colour standard, they had a choice between NTSC, PAL and SECAM. Most chose PAL, the French and Russians chose SECAM. Now TVs can handle all three, you just enter your country into the menu. The same will be true for DTT. The actual standard will not matter, given that a STB will fill the gaps. In 5 years time, the CRT will be dead and gone. Look at the VCR, it is now gone, and replaced with the PVR. No-one is crying for it. The technology will look after itself, the market being the master, and price and convenience leading it.

If the market for DTT is 300k, then at €100/year that gives revenue of €30million, out of which RTENL are looking for €10 million. That leaves €20 million for marketing, rights, decoders, staff, and possibly a little profit. Channels people want to watch will cost money, the ones they do not want will pay to be there. Given that about 20 channels will be on offer, I think that is a lot of channels for so little money. Some other model is needed. If the Government could do a cross border exchange agreement to get the basic 4 uk channels onto the public MUX, then that would give the freeDTT a big push, and €10 per month for a few good channels might be easier to sell. Onevision would not be paying for the basic 4, which would be expensive for them, and it is they that make going Freesat look cheap [installation vs subscription]. If the basic 4 uk were on the public MUX, the DTT route is the obvious one for the second telly.

In my opinion, Onevision need to offer several new sports channels if they are to succeed. And good sports channels at that. Look how TG4 has survived with their innovative offerings, like Tour de France, and Wimbledon. Just rebroadcasting others work, or deflecting as we call it over here, is not a good model on which to base a business.

Maybe RTE should do the whole lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When I started out in life, an elder engineering co-worker told me something very true. 'Efficiency is in the wallet!.' If it does the job for less, it is more efficient. If DTT gives the stations people want for less, then they will go for it. If a few years time, all TVs and other receiving equipment will be able to receive all standards. When Europe were trying to decide on a colour standard, they had a choice between NTSC, PAL and SECAM. Most chose PAL, the French and Russians chose SECAM. Now TVs can handle all three, you just enter your country into the menu. The same will be true for DTT. The actual standard will not matter, given that a STB will fill the gaps. In 5 years time, the CRT will be dead and gone. Look at the VCR, it is now gone, and replaced with the PVR. No-one is crying for it. The technology will look after itself, the market being the master, and price and convenience leading it.

I agree with you- we will probably reach this point- the way things are going- it will most probably be a software rather than a hardware solution- and as such- it can be upgraded insitu over time.
    If the market for DTT is 300k, then at €100/year that gives revenue of €30million, out of which RTENL are looking for €10 million. That leaves €20 million for marketing, rights, decoders, staff, and possibly a little profit. Channels people want to watch will cost money, the ones they do not want will pay to be there. Given that about 20 channels will be on offer, I think that is a lot of channels for so little money. Some other model is needed. If the Government could do a cross border exchange agreement to get the basic 4 uk channels onto the public MUX, then that would give the freeDTT a big push, and €10 per month for a few good channels might be easier to sell. Onevision would not be paying for the basic 4, which would be expensive for them, and it is they that make going Freesat look cheap [installation vs subscription]. If the basic 4 uk were on the public MUX, the DTT route is the obvious one for the second telly.

Most people will not pay €100 a year, ontop of their mandated €160 a year licence fee, for current offerings. If a comprehensive package including all the UK terrestrial channels could be delivered in this package- perhaps it might have potential- if the price point was right. At the moment most people can pick up a Freesat box and whack it on the ever present Sky Dish for a one off payment of around €100 and have 120 channels of UK goodness piped to them. Unless you can compete against the free platforms- on an economic basis- its dead in the water. Sky subscriptions/UPC etc are not necessary expenditure- most of my colleagues have cancelled theirs for other options- an ongoing subscription cost in cash straightened times is a non-runner.
    In my opinion, Onevision need to offer several new sports channels if they are to succeed. And good sports channels at that. Look how TG4 has survived with their innovative offerings, like Tour de France, and Wimbledon. Just rebroadcasting others work, or deflecting as we call it over here, is not a good model on which to base a business.

If you think you have 300k people willing to shell out for sports channels- in the current population- you're wrong. Most of this market is well cornered already- and as you're well aware, customers are sticky- they don't like change. You'd need to offer them a compelling reason to dump their Sky Sports etc- and in a market segment of this size- you'll have the devils own job trying to come up with a valid justification.
    Maybe RTE should do the whole lot.

While ultimately they probably will- it will be with a future generation of tech- its simply not economically viable at present.

smccarrick wrote: »
    If a comprehensive package including all the UK terrestrial channels could be delivered in this package- perhaps it might have potential- if the price point was right. At the moment most people can pick up a Freesat box and whack it on the ever present Sky Dish for a one off payment of around €100 and have 120 channels of UK goodness piped to them. Unless you can compete against the free platforms- on an economic basis- its dead in the water. Sky subscriptions/UPC etc are not necessary expenditure- most of my colleagues have cancelled theirs for other options- an ongoing subscription cost in cash straightened times is a non-runner.
    Agreed.Pay DTT in this country is a dead duck.
    People aren't stupid,there are too many free alternatives.

If you have 2 shops side by side both selling the same brand of milk but one is free ,the other charging a euro a litre-which one are you going to get the milk in...

Ms O' Boyle taught me the answer to that one in senior infants.
    I'd be surprised if it takes one visions bankers any longer to reach the same conclusion when they do their due diligence report.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Agreed.Pay DTT in this country is a dead duck.
    People aren't stupid,there are too many free alternatives.

If you have 2 shops side by side both selling the same brand of milk but one is free ,the other charging a euro a litre-which one are you going to get the milk in...

Ms O' Boyle taught me the answer to that one in senior infants.
    I'd be surprised if it takes one visions bankers any longer to reach the same conclusion when they do their due diligence report.

I do not disagree, but what I am suggesting is that Onevision cannot put together the channel list they need for the sort of money they have. If the basic 4 (Bbc1+2, Utv, Ch4) are on the Public Mux, then the push is there for DTT uptake. With the number of people going for DTT getting upto maybe 700k, the Onevision only need to penetrate that market by less than 50% to get the 300k. Without the basic 4 on the Public Mux, then they will be after 90% of those going the Dtt route instead of Freesat. I think Freesat will also threaten $ky penetration, especially as all that is needed is a new replacement box plugged into the existing dish. Once the word is out, then change will start. I find it incredible that the word is not out.

The major market for DTT has to be the second telly, not a good place to start if you want to make money. The more one looks, the more surprising one has to be that Onevision are still talking and not walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

The more one looks, the more surprising one has to be that Onevision are still talking and not walking.[/QUOTE]

Its called a phased exit strategy: ie a slow motion walk towards the door going through due diligence along the way. The press conference will say 'Sorry guys, we ran the numbers with our bankers and advisers. It doesn't stack up and Boxer concluded the same' Politically neat departure.

Another standards analogy: initially teletext chips only did English character sets. Within a couple of years they stopped making them and only supported pan_EU character sets, Cyrillic, and Turkish to name but a few. That's why I think T2 will completely take over. PVRs used to have 20GB in the early days: now you can as I did put 1TB in your Sky box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mrdtv wrote: »
    Its called a phased exit strategy: ie a slow motion walk towards the door going through due diligence along the way. The press conference will say 'Sorry guys, we ran the numbers with our bankers and advisers. It doesn't stack up and Boxer concluded the same' Politically neat departure.

Phased exit of One Vision: -

Setanta and TV3 reduce their shareholding to 20%
    Setanta and TV3 reduce again by 10%
    Setanta Steps aside :rolleyes:
    TV3 steps aside :rolleyes:
    Eircom and Aquarvia think some more about the proposition.

:mad::mad::mad:

The BAI should just pull the red carpet from under their feet.

Load of PR bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kelly66

Ive nothing against the DTT and i can see it being a success , but i cant see onevision or anybody else attracting enough people to make it a success.
    It will be great to have more options for free tv,nearly every house in the country has a satellite dish on it and if ddt takes off nearly every house will have a digital aerial. COMBO boxes are getting cheaper , its only a matter of time before there's a combo + box , maybe with a 7 day epg.
    Which ever way it pans out , free tv is going to continue to grow and grow.
    What we need now is for RTE to sort it self out , just like the builders and the bankers , rte has lost the run of the themselves ,they thought the advertising money would never end and paid themselves incredible salaries living way beyond their means.They need to be completely restructured but the problem is, who is going to take this inbred civil service type institution on, every journalist wants a job with them and every politician is afraid to be on the wrong side of them. On till their made to change they will just keep looking for an increase in the license fee

kelly66 wrote: »
    Which ever way it pans out , free tv is going to continue to grow and grow.
    What we need now is for RTE to sort it self out , just like the builders and the bankers , rte has lost the run of the themselves ,they thought the advertising money would never end and paid themselves incredible salaries living way beyond their means.They need to be completely restructured but the problem is, who is going to take this inbred civil service type institution on, every journalist wants a job with them and every politician is afraid to be on the wrong side of them. On till their made to change they will just keep looking for an increase in the license fee

OTT IMO but in response. RTÉ so far have been the only company to take DTT and DAB seriously. Advertising isn't the only reason they are losing money it is also because of their investment into Digital. They have rolled out most of this infrastructure without any private help.

RTÉ will always look for a TV licence increase regardless of the economic times we are in, do you expect them to do otherwise? It is up to the Department to say no, which they have. Or regardless of any changes in their structures, in the same way as all Licence fee funded PSBs will look for Licence Fee increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

If the basic 4 (Bbc1+2, Utv, Ch4) are on the Public Mux,

This is not going to happen.

once again how would this be paid for?

Antenna wrote: »
    This is not going to happen.

once again how would this be paid for?

As a swap for RTE etc to be avaiable in Norn Iron as a dividend to the Good Friday/Belfast Agreement. It was proposed at the time. The only looser would be TV3 as UTV also rebroadcasts/deflects ITV's content. It is unlikely, but it is possible. It would certainly let RTE off the hook if all commercial backers walk away. A bit silly having 4 muxes for four TV channels.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    OTT IMO but in response. RTÉ so far have been the only company to take DTT and DAB seriously. Advertising isn't the only reason they are losing money it is also because of their investment into Digital. They have rolled out most of this infrastructure without any private help.

RTÉ will always look for a TV licence increase regardless of the economic times we are in, do you expect them to do otherwise? It is up to the Department to say no, which they have. Or regardless of any changes in their structures, in the same way as all Licence fee funded PSBs will look for Licence Fee increases.
    I admit it is a bit OTT, but if you take it that any commercial venture on DTT has a great chance of failure, then what we will be left with is [leaving a side the radio channels] the 4 home channels. This is going to make RTE look very silly ,i cant see many people running out to get an aerial installed [ from 120 euro maybe] for the 4 irish channels.
    Are RTE then going to tell us all about FREE TO AIR for the first time and the merits of the COMBO BOX ?
    Maybe thats their plan B.
    RTE 's reputation hasn't been great with the public for a long time and PAT kenny only made it worse ,with his court case and his and the other so called stars wages that can not be justified.
    Its not like these STARS have the option getting better offers from the
    UK or any other country.
    There should be a wage cap enforced on RTE STARS.
    Perception is everything and RTE could do with a complete overhaul

And it does not help when people decide that issues such as the "Stars" earnings at RTÉ are brought up in discussions about the future of our national infrastructure something that RTÉ have been to the forefront ever since 1999. And have used public money to help get ready for the ASO/DSO or whatever we want to call the inevitable.

There is a book out called RTÉ and Globalization (2004), written by one of the Chairpeople of the RTÉ authority. He outlines how himself, Bob Collins (then Director of TV) and Joe Barry (then DG) go into a meeting with the Cross Party Committee on Broadcasting. Before they went into the meeting they planned out their work on Digital TV and the future of broadcasting in the state. They worked hard to be ready for a number of questions about the new technology and what RTÉ's plans were. They were prepared for an onslaught of question about this. They were dismayed by the amount of questions given to them about the "stars" pay in the Committee meeting. Not once did any of the Senators or the TDs ask about broadcasting in the country. All they wanted to know was how much Pat Kenny and Gay Byrne were paid. Sile DeValera that year asked for a list of just pay packets without names to be drawn up and given to herself and Bertie Ahearn. A number of years later names and pay cheques were published in the press. You - like our public Representatives - are way off topic and this is one of the reasons why DTT has taken 10 years to go no where.
    Its not like these STARS have the option getting better offers from the UK or any other country.

The BBC have about 10 or more "stars" on the same wage as Pat Kenny. And it isn't about other countries it is about Irish competitors in both TV and Radio. But that is an entirely different topic.
    There should be a wage cap enforced on RTE STARS. Perception is everything and RTE could do with a complete overhaul

I agree but it is a different topic. However I am not into PR ****, TV3 seem to do it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

As a swap for RTE etc to be avaiable in Norn Iron as a dividend to the Good Friday/Belfast Agreement. It was proposed at the time. The only looser would be TV3 as UTV also rebroadcasts/deflects ITV's content. It is unlikely, but it is possible. It would certainly let RTE off the hook if all commercial backers walk away. A bit silly having 4 muxes for four TV channels.

Your probably on the money there Sam. Given the current the state the finances are in it is unlikely that RTE will want to get involved comercially should it get that far. Also the elephant in the room is and has been the proliferation of freesat in Ireland. How can any commercial partner hope to compete with something that is free. Its probably is very likely that some contra deal will be struck regarding NI.

The question keeps coming up about when will it happen, why hasnt it launched and we are open to outside unfair jibes from those who have the comfort of living in the safety in numbers. TV licence revenue in the UK last year was €3.5billion as opposed to €200 million in Ireland. Hence the mad scenarios in the UK of affording to pay Jonathon Ross €18million over 3 years for his gig with the BBC.

Relative ? Regadless DSO and ASO must happen.

The UTV/TV3 problem is very simple, any programming ITV programming on DTT should be removed from TV3NI they could replace those shows with 3e's content. Same goes for RTÉ One and EastEnders.

On ROI DTT UTV could provide other shows, UTV ROI, i.e. UTV could start buying programming from the states for filler on UTV ROI.

The UTV/TV3 problem is very simple, any programming ITV programming on DTT should be removed from TV3NI they could replace those shows with 3e's content. Same goes for RTÉ One and EastEnders.

On ROI DTT UTV could provide other shows, UTV ROI, i.e. UTV could start buying programming from the states for filler on UTV ROI.

That is possible, or UTV could have a version of their offering for us, but that would give them a base for advertising revenue from the replublic, taking from RTE's pot. No, if we went that way, TV3 would have to run an extended Xposed, or Midlife to fill the gap. Home produced, it would be very cheap as the current versions are. After all, for Exposed they only have a couple of plasma screens as background running a pointless loop, and a small table for the presenter to stand on, and for Midlife, just a big long table for the women to sit behind while they gossip about things they know little about.

That is possible, or UTV could have a version of their offering for us, but that would give them a base for advertising revenue from the replublic, taking from RTE's pot. No, if we went that way, TV3 would have to run an extended Xposed, or Midlife to fill the gap. Home produced, it would be very cheap as the current versions are. After all, for Exposed they only have a couple of plasma screens as background running a pointless loop, and a small table for the presenter to stand on, and for Midlife, just a big long table for the women to sit behind while they gossip about things they know little about.

There is nothing to suggest that RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 couldn't buy NI rights to US programming for transmission on Pay Sat, Pay Cable and FreeView. Replacing their UK shows with US shows. For UTV they could have an opt out for ROI viewers by buying US programming to fill the gaps of their ITV schedule, indeed they could go with an UTV2 which they could mix with the Norths UTV1 schedule for DTT ROI. I am not suggesting that UTV, TV3, RTÉ or TG4 increase their home produced programming, as this would cause further erosion of funds for home produced programming.

UTV do indirectly take ROI advertising. They were the major winner of the advertising cap placed on RTÉ by Ray Burke in the early 1990s.

Putting C4 on DTT would also move advertising out of the country as C4 would put their opt outs ads on Irish DTT, but then RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 would all carry NI advertising. So the trade off would work out.

Xpose does not have plasma screens in the background of their set, it is a Chroma Key digital set, the Girls are standing in front of a "Green Screen".

I admit it is a bit OTT, but if you take it that any commercial venture on DTT has a great chance of failure, then what we will be left with is [leaving a side the radio channels] the 4 home channels. This is going to make RTE look very silly ,i cant see many people running out to get an aerial installed [ from 120 euro maybe] for the 4 irish channels.
    Are RTE then going to tell us all about FREE TO AIR for the first time and the merits of the COMBO BOX ?
    ARE you sure your not in PR, cause the point i was really making was the one above,
    Thou i think the best time for RTE to look at every other aspect of its organisation is during a recession,Now is the time to make changes ,Wage caps ETC.
    Did himself ,joe and bob not think the main piece of infrastructure for DTT
    is the aerial on the license fee payers house and WHEN it is realised that the commercial DTT is a non runner.
    Who is going to run out and get a DTT aerial fitted , to have the 4 home channels and having bbc 1/2,utv and ch4 will complement freetoair /freesat
    more than onevision
    I can see RTE blaming FREESAT for the failure of the commercial dtt.
    BY the way how come freetoair/freesat take up has never been mentioned
    any rte radio or rte tv program

[BY the way how come freetoair/freesat take up has never been mentioned any rte radio or rte tv program

That is my point in #366 of this thread. Why is no-one talking about it?

But Dtt will work with a rabbit ears aerial for most high signal aerial. The simplicity of a simple aerial, compared with a sat dish, with cables running everywhere, will appeal to many. Those with $ky, will findout that with Rte on a simple aerial and a Freesat box, they will have most of what they currently have subscription free, and for a cost of €100 or so.

Once the word is out, the change will happen. However, the inertia of no aerial for RTE will delay the change, but not for long.

ARE you sure your not in PR, cause the point i was really making was the one above,
    Thou i think the best time for RTE to look at every other aspect of its organisation is during a recession,Now is the time to make changes ,Wage caps ETC.
    Did himself ,joe and bob not think the main piece of infrastructure for DTT
    is the aerial on the license fee payers house and WHEN it is realised that the commercial DTT is a non runner.
    Who is going to run out and get a DTT aerial fitted , to have the 4 home channels and having bbc 1/2,utv and ch4 will complement freetoair /freesat
    more than onevision
    I can see RTE blaming FREESAT for the failure of the commercial dtt.
    BY the way how come freetoair/freesat take up has never been mentioned
    any rte radio or rte tv program

As pointed out by many on here the 4 FTA service would suit a bedroom in many homes, thus they may forgo the need for multi room cable or sat. People forget that Analogue only homes take up 25% of the country. RTÉ were planning a number of other services on DTT FTA including RTÉ One +1, RTÉ Three and they are currently broadcasting RTÉ News Now on the DTT tests. Plus the 4 radio stations (they should put on their other radio stations).

RTÉ have reduced wages. They got the go ahead from the unions to reduce wages and they aren't looking for anyone to join the company. All jobs will be listed internally. But again this is way off topic.

Many homes already have an aerial (for FTA Analogue) the only extra equipment required is a STB or a new television. Back in 1999 On Digital had just been launched and other countries were looking at the pay TV DTT type services. But then in the meeting they were at side tracked any plans that RTÉ had back in 1999 and again in 2002 and again and again and again. At the time RTÉ could have proposed free/supplement STBs for the country.

RTÉ have nothing to do with Commerical DTT that is the BAI. RTÉ NL only own the network that Pay DTT will be provided on, unless EasyTV become owners of the licence in the next few months.

Freeview/Freesat has never been mentioned on any of the Communicorp Radio stations or on TV3 or Setanta. I wonder why?

Pay DTT takes a number of issues away from the switch over. One Vision could launch their STBs and equipment for Free (they will have to do this) with a contract, and people may decide that this is a better option than paying for a new TV, STB or Equipment.

The choices when/if DSO happens for consumers: -

1. Combo boxes for FTA DTT and FreeSat (which they pay for themselves)
    2. One Vision and FTA DTT (free equipment with 12 month contract)
    3. Cable Digital and Analogue (free equipment and installation, 12 month contract, but no FTA after contract ends removal of all services)
    4. FTA DTT and some FreeView Spillover
    5. Sky Digital (free equipment with 12 month contract) + FTA DTT services
    6. FTA DTT services only

The option not currently available.

As pointed out by many on here the 4 FTA service would suit a bedroom in many homes, thus they may forgo the need for multi room cable or sat. People forget that Analogue only homes take up 25% of the country. RTÉ were planning a number of other services on DTT FTA including RTÉ One +1, RTÉ Three and they are currently broadcasting RTÉ News Now on the DTT tests. Plus the 4 radio stations (they should put on their other radio stations).

RTÉ have reduced wages. They got the go ahead from the unions to reduce wages and they aren't looking for anyone to join the company. All jobs will be listed internally. But again this is way off topic.

Many homes already have an aerial (for FTA Analogue) the only extra equipment required is a STB or a new television. Back in 1999 On Digital had just been launched and other countries were looking at the pay TV DTT type services. But then in the meeting they were at side tracked any plans that RTÉ had back in 1999 and again in 2002 and again and again and again. At the time RTÉ could have proposed free/supplement STBs for the country.

RTÉ have nothing to do with Commerical DTT that is the BAI. RTÉ NL only own the network that Pay DTT will be provided on, unless EasyTV become owners of the licence in the next few months.

Freeview/Freesat has never been mentioned on any of the Communicorp Radio stations or on TV3 or Setanta. I wonder why?

Pay DTT takes a number of issues away from the switch over. One Vision could launch their STBs and equipment for Free (they will have to do this) with a contract, and people may decide that this is a better option than paying for a new TV, STB or Equipment.

The choices when/if DSO happens for consumers: -

1. Combo boxes for FTA DTT and FreeSat (which they pay for themselves)
    2. One Vision and FTA DTT (free equipment with 12 month contract)
    3. Cable Digital and Analogue (free equipment and installation, 12 month contract, but no FTA after contract ends removal of all services)
    4. FTA DTT and some FreeView Spillover
    5. Sky Digital (free equipment with 12 month contract) + FTA DTT services
    6. FTA DTT services only
    The option not currently available.

25% I have to say i find that hard to believe .Where are you getting that stat from.
    Anyway many of the Analogue Aerials that are out there would by now have an FTA box/boxes complementing them.

Even if what you say is true [25%] The fact that there are many people using just an aerial, this only goes to prove that there are a lot of people
    out there who have an aversion to paying any more than their license fee for TV.

As far as wages go it was to little to late, but this is off the topic .
    But public perception is very important.

As far as i know there has been no mention of Freeview/freetoair on any News paper /radio stations or TV,while i can understand why RTE/TV3 would
    not mention FTA, i think the fact that no where in the media has FTA been mentioned , shows the power of the pay TV companies to use their advertising muscle[ surely free tv is a good story]

As ive said public perception is important, after all the public is the majority
    share holder in RTE.

• Advertisement

As far as wages go it was to little to late, but this is off the topic .
    But public perception is very important.

As I've said public perception is important, after all the public is the majority
    share holder in RTE.

It is very difficult to have good preception when people bring up wages only. All companies have cut wages, RTÉ is no different. RTÉ reduced "stars" pay, management pay, all staff pay, put in a moratorium on recruitment and began a process of reducing staff through early retirement. Just because you are unwilling to read about this doesn't mean that RTÉ haven't done it.

RTÉ have been working on both Digital Radio and Television, is this not good public perception.

Unfortunately public perception is focused on just one aspect of RTÉ and forget that the DTT issue (which is what is being discussed) is also being worked on by a number of different organisations:-

One Vision
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI)
    and the Department

However RTÉ are far more profiled.

25% is got in this forum on pages back taken from the Communications Regulator, ComReg, wonder what their public perception is and each of the 3 DTT applications and other statistics. And many of them will go with Spillover or FTA Satellite and/or FTA DTT.
    As far as i know there has been no mention of Freeview/freetoair on any News paper /radio stations or TV,while i can understand why RTE/TV3 would not mention FTA, i think the fact that no where in the media has FTA been mentioned , shows the power of the pay TV companies to use their advertising muscle[ surely free tv is a good story]

Also the fact that the original licencee holders of commercial MUX for DTT from the BAI was 50% owned by Communicorp (Denis O'Brien look him up). And the power of Pay TV in this country such as UPC and Sky. By the way I agree that all forms should be promoted. FreeView not so much but that is because spillover could be iffy and why promote an iffy produce (suppose you could say the same for One Vision).

TG4 showing RTENL - Ath Cliath test page. Also retuned TV DTT now coming in on Channel 61, do they usually change channel? or am I wrong to think it was on another channel?

Why did they remove the other DIGITAL Radio stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...FreeView not so much but that is because spillover could be iffy ....

It (FreeView, FreeView+, FreeViewHD) is on almost every new TV so the consumer is going to see it everywhere regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

BostonB wrote: »
    It (FreeView, FreeView+, FreeViewHD) is on almost every new TV so the consumer is going to see it everywhere regardless.

Precisely. And the BBC will start advertising it from Easter on air.

Another reason not to promote it so. i.e. Give money towards its promotion.
    Precisely. And the BBC will start advertising it from Easter on air.

Don't they market Digital TV on and off anyway, including FreeSat and FreeView.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Perhaps promote is the wrong word. Inform maybe.

Perhaps promote is the wrong word. Inform maybe.

Well that will be up to the sales people. FreeView won't be available to all so there is no real point in promoting. But also for the sales person they can advise that with an MPEG 4 TV that the consumer can get both SaorView and FreeView. However I am thinking that One Vision will be trying to get sales people to sell Pay TV on DTT :(.

This is the issue with Pay TV on DTT that for some reason One Vision wants a grant to go toward part of their promotion of DTT even though they are a commercial body but would not think that either UPC or Sky should be promoted for the same reason.

Sorry just to repeat my last post

TG4 showing RTENL - Ath Cliath test page. Also retuned TV DTT now coming in on Channel 61, do they usually change channel? or am I wrong to think it was on another channel?

Why did they remove the other DIGITAL Radio stations?

Advertisement