Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules - October 24th (Perth) and October 31st (Melbourne)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shadey

Des wrote: »
    we...us...them?

Who?

You are posting on the AFL forum here...

AFL forum. How do you work that one out? Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

shadey wrote: »
    AFL forum. How do you work that one out? Mate.
    You are in the AFL forum. The GAA forum is separate.

smashey wrote: »
    You are in the AFL forum. The GAA forum is separate.
    Well I'm staying. So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

No biggeh. Just don't start posting about the Championship or Des will get angry.

smashey wrote: »
    No biggeh. Just don't start posting about the Championship or Des will get angry.
    Appreciate the advice. Would not want to make Des angry.

So who's Des?

It's an interesting game. I think overall the rules are in favour of the Aussies. It seems to me that largely they are playing Aussie rules with a Gaelic ball. I know that is a massive generalisation, but was mentioned on the RTE coverage and seems to sum it up quite well. The essence of Aussie rules is not to get caught with the ball. The essence of Gaelic is to hold onto it until you have a safe/promising outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Really enjoyed that game today, the last series in Croker was horrendous, just an unedifying mass rolling brawl, but today's game was an excellent advertisement for the compromise rules series...was exceptionally impressed with the Irish levels of commitment and skill...definitely looking forward to the melbourne game next week...I'm a rugby man, and don't watch Gaelic Football (have a soft spot for hurling being from Tipp) but really enjoyed events in Perth...roll on next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So it was a great night and congratulations to Ireland on a job very well done.

It all started off horribly for me however as I was one of thousands of supporters left stranded in Perth city (about a 10 minute train ride from Subi Oval) due to the incompetance of the **** at Transperth. Had we been left there any longer there would have been a mini riot and the delay caused us to miss the first 10 minutes or so, though luckily it was only 6-1 to Ireland when we got there.

Campbell's penalty miss was a shocker. Lazy, half arsed and basically piss poor. Summed up a lot of Australian kicking tonight (see Dale Thomas' attempted outside of the boot effort in the second half that went out on the full for more evidence).

Australia dominated the tackles, which was expected, but they were given too many opportunites by Ireland's inability to release the ball quickly. They seemed to think they had a half an hour on the ball when in fact they were about to get creamed. Definitely something that needs looking at before the second game.

Very clean game overall. No real off the ball niggles. There were a few big hits but at least they came in the vicinity of the ball and not behind the officials' backs. Speaking of the officials, there were strange calls, mostly in Australia's favour. More than once Irish players were told to go back further than where the mark had actually taken place and some of the holding-the-ball calls were questionable.

It's going to be very difficult for Ireland next week as I felt they looked tired towards the end while the Aussies still looked relatively fresh. The competition certainly won't be over until the fourth quarter in the MCG.

Best on ground for Ireland in my opinion were David Gallagher (safe hands, good kicker, stunning save in the second quarter), Leighton Glynn (very, very impressive, cool finish for his goal) and Sean Cavanagh (again took his goal very well and led by example throughout).

For Australia I'd say Adam Selwood (I'm pretty sure he had the most possessions for Australia and defended very well), Brett Harvey (so quick and sharp on the ball) and Matt Campbell (ok he missed the peno but he very quick and extremely difficult to hold in a tackle).

Game highlights were definitely Gallagher's first half save and Dale Thomas' goal saving last ditch tackle in the final quarter.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Great craic amongst both sets of supporters and hopefully that will shut a few of the nay sayers up, giving the International Rules a bright future.

Disclaimer: As I was at the game and didn't the benefit of tv replays etc, the above could be a crock of shit!

I've posted some pics/vids here for anyone who's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Will the game be repeated on tv or online anywhere?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Game highlights were definitely Gallagher's first half save and Dale Thomas' goal saving last ditch tackle in the final quarter.

Would that be the Gallagher tackle with one hand from behind dragging at the players shirt that should have been a penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would that be the Gallagher tackle with one hand from behind dragging at the players shirt that should have been a penalty?

Yep, the very one.

It was an illegal tackle.

New Topic : Should Video evidence be introduced into International Rules?

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote: »
    Will the game be repeated on tv or online anywhere?
    Ireland only - http://www.rte.ie/live/ @ 21.35

Des wrote: »
    Yep, the very one.

It was an illegal tackle.

New Topic : Should Video evidence be introduced into International Rules?
    Not sure I could cope with that, and hardly worth the red tape and beaurocracy (bad spell) that it would involve.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean. I'm referring to the reflex save he made to deflect Marc Murphy's goal bound effort over the bar.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean. I'm referring to the reflex save he made to deflect Marc Murphy's goal bound effort over the bar.

there was a tackle near the end where an Irish player was through on goal, and would have shot only for a last ditch tackle, which replays show was a one-handed shirt pull. Which is illegal.

Was it the Dale Thomas one? That happened right in front of me and it was a superbly executed tackle.

Ireland only - http://www.rte.ie/live/ @ 21.35

There seems to be a link to watch the game in full on the rte website but get the player working :(

edit: works in internet explorer :)

Was it the Dale Thomas one? That happened right in front of me and it was a superbly executed tackle.

Get the blinkers off.

It was a definite one handed shirt pull. Replays confirm it.

And I was shouting for Australia.

I'm unsure as to the rules in AFL, but one handed tackles were definitely outlawed for this game.

No blinkers at all. We were facing the players as they ran towards us and it looked like he made a despairing lunge and got the attacker's legs just as he was about to pull the trigger. There were certainly no complaints about it from anyone in our section of the ground.

You definitely mean the Thomas one right at the end? (I haven't seen a single replay of any incident btw)

You definitely mean the Thomas one right at the end? (I haven't seen a single replay of any incident btw)

Handpass from the Irish half forwards to a full forward, who was in behind the last Aussie fullbacks.

He ran, on toward the goal, only for theAussie dude to grab a load of his shirt just as he was pulling the trigger.

It was a definite one-handed tackle.

IMO, of course. With the benefit of replay in slo-mo.

;)

Fair enough so. I'll gladly admit it was a foul if the replay says so. Hopefully there will be some stuff on youtube tomorrow as I really wanna see some of it again.

• Advertisement

Hopefully there will be some stuff on youtube tomorrow as I really wanna see some of it again.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/1024/internationalrules.html

Whole game on an embedded real player link.

Tis only available in Ireland unfortunately. I'll try run it through a proxy tomorrow. Cheers anyway.

Fair enough so. I'll gladly admit it was a foul if the replay says so. Hopefully there will be some stuff on youtube tomorrow as I really wanna see some of it again.
    The replays dont leave a lot of room for doubt, definite foul alright. That said, I dont think we're going to be looking at a 6 point margin come the end of the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

ireland at 2/1 to win second test, not bad odds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Alright quick call ...

Who is going to win tonights game?

I say Australia ftw.

No fence sittin for me today. Australia by 10! (9 overall)

There definitely wont be any 'hold things off' this time round for the Irish boys.

But then again if this wet weather holds up it might suit the Irish team a bit better.

BTW Xavi are you using an iPhone or Blackberry to post to boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

And the result is in .......

Fisticuffs 0 Sportsmanship 10

NO fisticuffs and both games were played in good spirits. Both teams can consider themselevs winners in playing a good sporting 'international rules' game.

Overall, I think that the AFL team certainly have a disadvantage with a goalie, a position which they are totally unaccustomed too and this is a factor which aids us. Perhaps they should employ the services of a socceroo goalie or Ireland could lend them a GAA goalie. Its a weak link which adds to our points.

Another aspect, I didnt hear why, but why were the games played on Friday eve in Oz? Surely Sat eve would ave been better, both for the crowds and would have allowed more TV coverage in both countries. Any good reasons for the selection?

In terms of the future of the series, both the GAA and the AFL can be happy. The GAA can also be happy as they have set in some tendrils in controlling the potential flow of young players from GAA to AFL.

I myself would like to see the series evolve though, and rather than both sets of players playing a compromised set of rules, just play under AFL rules whilst in Ireland and GAA rules whilst in Oz. Sure, the players from the 'weaker' nation wont do well at their sport. Perhaps they can have an extra player. But it would be something fun to watch if played in a good sporting spirit, and would promote the sports of AFL and GAA rather than the 'bastardised' compromise game which nobody in either country plays.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Well thanks to the bastards at Channel 7 in WA the game was only shown delayed so I've been avoided the forums of both codes like the plague!

Fantastic spectacle once again and thoroughly enjoyable. Congratulations to Ireland for standing toe to toe fitness wise for the duration. A fully deserved win over the two games.

Cavanagh was good again, as was Kevin Reilly. Coulter was a constant danger and Graham Canty was solid.

Australia couldn't kick snow off a rope for the first half and the decision to kick short from the goalkeeper again cost them dear. When Firrito kicked long it worked well cause at least they were out of the danger zone.

Ireland did improve their early release of the ball once they stopped resorting to prickin it about with soccer passes, though Glynn proved that old habits die hard when he was run down by Roger Hayden. The poxy attempted nutmegs were ridiculous as well.

It was great listening to the Aussie commentators and their words on the Irish. They had nothing but the utmost respect for the lads and Dennis Commetti (basically the Aussie version of Michéal) was loving their ability to pass the ball by foot.

Another really clean and competitive game and thoroughly enjoyable. I don't see how anyone could think these two games a year aren't worth it when you see the reaction of the players at the siren.

Advertisement