Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules - October 24th (Perth) and October 31st (Melbourne)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tickets should be available on ticketmaster.com.au. No idea when though. I check every copule of days myself but no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Bah, thought I'd seen the last of ticketmaster leaving Ireland but it seems as if they're the vendor of choice in Oz as well. Have to buy Melbourne Cup tickets from them as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

You should be able to get tickets from this side justfortherecor before you head over. I emailed the gaa office there a few weeks back and was told that they'll be available to buy here and to keep an eye out on the gaa website for information. I'm heading over from here just for the second test in Melbourne, so hopefully the first game will have been close enough to make the second test interesting!! Can wait for it though - it will be great regardless!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Whats the best site to get the cheapest flights

Whats the best site to get the cheapest flights

Try -

www.cheaptickets.com

www.expedia.com

• Advertisement

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=92880
    Aussies need to tone it down, say players

20th August 2008, 14:00 WST

Ryan Crowley and Adam Selwood admit Australia will need to keep their emotions in check when the international series between Australia and Ireland resumes.

The hybrid game was brought to a halt in 2006 following a spiteful series that resulted in a number of players suffering injuries in violent on-field incidents.

The series was also marred by Brendan Fevola's alleged assault of an Irish barman, which resulted in the Carlton spearhead being sent home to Australia in disgrace.

When asked if this series, due to commence on October 24 with the first Test at Subiaco Oval, could boil over, Selwood replied: “Guys understand that for the betterment of the game we've got to keep our feelings intact but ... once you pull on the Australian jumper and see the ball, you just never know what's going to happen I guess.”

Selwood felt the difference between AFL and Gaelic football made it hard in some instances to find a middle ground, especially in regards to the hip and shoulder which is part and parcel of AFL football.

“That's our game and not part of theirs,” Selwood said.

“So it's just a sense of obviously pull yourself back at times, but when the ball's there in your area, as competitive as all of us guys are, usually we just go 100 per cent and you just see what happens.

“None of us go out there to intentionally hurt an Irish player, it's just a contrast in the sports.

“Being professional, we are a lot stronger than what they are whereas they probably read the game a lot better.”

Crowley said Australia's players may need to tone down their aggression, which has marred past series.

“When you pull on that Australian jumper it's a weird sort of feeling - you sort of get that sense of playing for your country and you've got the whole country looking at you, so it is pretty fiery,” Crowley said.

“I think in the last series the Irish gave as good as they got, but I suppose with all the press that came along with what happened with the last series we might have to tone it down a little bit.”

To prevent further on-field violence, the AFL has promised that any suspensions incurred in the international rules series would be served in the following year's home-and-away season.

“If you are going to step over the mark you've got to pay the consequences,” Crowley said.

Hmmmm I'm sceptical to say the least. I expect all the same big hits from the Aussies tbh. Can't see them backing off once they're out on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I got all flights, taxes, insurance and accommodation for 1700

That includes flights to perth, perth to melbourne and melbourne to home. Accommodation is in a shared hostel dorm? Anyone think this is a good deal?

I reckon it'd be savage crack down there anyway!

That's a fantastic deal. I've heard of people paying 1700 for a return flight alone, never mind an internal one and accomodation. Super effort on your part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Zico

If I had a few g lying about I'd love to see the game at the Subi. Check into Spinners and raise hell at La Bog for a couple of nights. A wise man once told me theres only two states to be in, WA and wasted. I miss it dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

Irelands tactics are clear: Sean Boylan has picked big men to withstand tackles mainly, but who can play football.
    Quick ball will be the order of the day - especially from defence. Ireland cannot afford to be caught in possession and will move the ball quickley with hand passes and short kicks. They will run in packs out of defence for support pay. No 'hail mary" balls for the Aussies to gobble up.

The Irish have also conceded that they have reacted badly to tackles in the past and will take their medicine when it comes - this is a very good sign I feel.

Haven't heard much from the Aussie side on tactics - all they've said so far is they wont beat us up but will play hard for the ball.
    What kind of a coach is Malthouse? It doesn't sound like he's another Sheedy which can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

would agree with you there, especially the part about our reaction to the tackle. We have to acknowledge its part and parcel of the game, and the best way to avoid getting clattered is to not get caught in posession. Have to use the ball much quicker than other years and be far more acurate with passing.

The aussie side is small enough, and full of really quick midfielders. its obvious they will play a running game through the middle. Malthouse coaches Collingwood who can be one of the best sides on their day (they demolished Geelong this year in an exhibition of football). He doesnt do rough house tactics and wants good quick ball played.

While our side is stronger than other years, theirs is smaller and nippier, but they are well able to play and hit hard. Some tough players on their side too, so I cant see it pass off without any incident. Campbell Brown or Daniel Motlop are my favorites to be in a sin bin incident.

Former Australia coach Kevin Sheedy has his say on the Rules in today's Herald Sun -

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24516954-19742,00.html
    Forgive, forget and play ball

THERE is one thing I would like to pass on to the Irish ahead of the revived International Rules series.

You can punch an Australian and we won't be totally insulted.But if you kick us, you are going the wrong way about it.

After the last series was marred by controversial acts it would be disappointing if the Irish sought retribution.

They should bump and tackle, but don't stick a leg out.

If it's played in the right spirit, this will be a fantastic spectacle.

In my time as coach I felt there were some over-reactions.

Yes, Chris Johnson made a poor decision three years ago, but Danyle Pearce made a legitimate and honest tackle the last time the teams met.

So at no other stage was I concerned about the way the game was being played.

Irish coach Sean Boylan didn't see it that way and he ranted and raved for an hour after the match in Dublin.

I almost fell asleep waiting for my turn and it was the first time I thought I had met a leprechaun.

It could have easily been Ray "Slug" Jordon giving me an earful. But at least there was passion and I'm thrilled the matches are back.

We changed the landscape through selection - picking players suited to the hybrid round ball game.

After an embarrassing loss - when Garry Lyon was coach - things needed to change and that included appointing a coach who was involved at AFL level.

AFL general manager of football operations Adrian Anderson complained bitterly to the coaches that we had let the country down.

I told him to look in the mirror because he made the decision to select a non-AFL coach.

I believe Mick Malthouse said no to the AFL, which opened the door for me.

It probably cost me my job at Essendon because at that stage the club took two teams to Japan to learn about leadership.

The chief executive, Peter Jackson, went instead of me. But I felt I needed to learn about leadership at a national level rather than just a club level.

I was really pleased I coached Australia and I think Mick will lift for the occasion.

It's a great opportunity for him and when you walk out there at Subiaco Oval you hope that there's going to be a big crowd.

Why the other game is not at Telstra Dome is mystifying. I'd rather have 50,000 screaming fans at the Dome than 30-40,000 at the MCG.

I would make it that anybody with a club membership gets in for half price. That might get you 80,000 and it would be a wise way to promote the match.

A significant loss is Dustin Fletcher, who may be injured, but was not selected in the original squad. He was consistently the best all-round player and, as goalie, was invaluable.

When I made him captain for one game in Ireland he came back from holiday in Yorkshire for it. I said "we need you" and his commitment inspired others.

That and the injection of Indigenous players gave the series great impetus in my time with Australia.

It's a tremendous bridge-building exercise between two great nations and I look forward to witnessing its revival. Just play fair, with honesty and integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

Sheedys article confirms what i thought of him, a knuckle dragging meathead whos tactical limitations almost ended this series and damaged it for years to come.
    His leprachaun comment is totally out of order! Sean Boylan is one of our games greats and a true gent.

This muppet knows nothing about sportsmanship, he comes across as an annoying strereotypical Aussie and his name is muck in this country.

I believe he had some International ambassador position with the AFL at one time or another - good grief the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Arrived in Perth on hols. yesterday and going to the game on friday. I would like to take a camera (SLR with zoom lens) to the game to get a few action shots........does any one know if I will be allowed to bring it into the stadium? and oh yea...........where are the beers at after the game?

Don't see why you wouldn't be allowed bring a cam in. They check your bag at the gate but only for booze, which you can buy in there anyway.

Scoops afterwards will most likely be in the Irish Club in Subiaco and then maybe on to the Subi Hotel or somewhere else in that area.

Apparently just over 20,000 tickets have been sold for Perth so far but there are expected to be large numbers sold on the night at the gates.

Saw some oul fellas in official polo shirts walking around the city at lunch. Must be part of the backroom staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Arrived in Perth on hols. yesterday and going to the game on friday. I would like to take a camera (SLR with zoom lens) to the game to get a few action shots........does any one know if I will be allowed to bring it into the stadium? and oh yea...........where are the beers at after the game?

You should post your pics on here when you can, we would all love to see them

I'll have my camera with me as well so there will be pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

excellent ! besure to get a pic of Ireland reclaiming the Trophy that is rightfully ours

Ha well unfotunately that can only happen in Melbourne and I'm going to the Perth game. I will however make sure I capture the first clothes line :D

• Advertisement

AUSTRALIA INTERNATIONAL RULES Team (first Test v Ireland):

Goalkeeper: Nathan Bock.

Backs: Michael Firrito, Brad Sewell, Campbell Brown

Half-Backs: Ryan Crowley, Drew Petrie, Adam Selwood.

Midfield: Brent Harvey (capt), Scott Thompson.

Half-Forwards: Scott Pendlebury, Daniel Motlop, David Rodan.

Forwards: Michael Osborne, Shaun Burgoyne, Matt Campbell.

Interchange Players (one to be omitted): Matthew Boyd, Jared Brennan, Nathan Foley, Roger Hayden, Leigh Montagna, Marc Murphy, Max Rooke, Kade Simpson, Dale Thomas, Daniel Wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What time is this on (Sydney time) and what channel is it being shown on?

Delayed coverage at 11.45pm on Channel 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I will however make sure I capture the first clothes line :D
    I don't think it will be as ugly as recent years but I still expect Ireland to be spanked like naughty little boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Anybody based in Sydney can see the match live in the Porter House, Surry Hills from 9.30. It's on Foxtel Pay per view.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!

Feckin Paddies :p

They're everywhere this lunch time, even people from Leitrim!

Luckily I'm avoiding the stereotype with my Aussie international rules jersey :cool:

I will be supporting Australia (even though I am originally from Ireland) purely on the strength of Mick Malthouse being coach and having two well liked Collingwood players in the squad. :pac:

IRELAND INTERNATIONAL RULES Team (first Test v Australia):

David Gallagher; Aidan O'Mahony, Finian Hanley, John Keane; Bryan Cullen, Kevin Reilly, Ciarán McKeever; Graham Canty, Colm Begley; Enda McGinley, Seán Cavanagh, Joe McMahon; Steven McDonnell, Kieran Donaghy, Benny Coulter.

Interchange Players: Paddy Bradley, Leighton Glynn, Aaron Kernan, Ciarán Lyng, Justin McMahon, Michael Meehan, John Miskella, Pearse O'Neill, Tom Parsons.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    IRELAND INTERNATIONAL RULES Team (first Test v Australia):

David Gallagher; Aidan O'Mahony, Finian Hanley, John Keane; Bryan Cullen, Kevin Reilly, Ciarán McKeever; Graham Canty, Colm Begley; Enda McGinley, Seán Cavanagh, Joe McMahon; Steven McDonnell, Kieran Donaghy, Benny Coulter
    Well at least Ireland have one player who has a clue how the game is played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If anyone's watching can they post updates here, cheers.

Advertisement