Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules - October 24th (Perth) and October 31st (Melbourne)

Options
  • 30-05-2008 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

International Rules Series games confirmed

Thursday, 29 May 2008 12:10

The GAA and the AFL have confirmed that there will be a two-game International Rules Series between the countries in October of this year.

The games will take place on October 24th in Perth and October 31st in Melbourne.

Details of the stadiums to be used and other arrangements with regard to the Series will be confirmed at a later date.

GAA director general Paraic Duffy had issued an ultimatum to AFL bosses that they must confirm dates and venues for the Tests.

Get in!!!!

So Perth does get a game. Obviously it'll be in Subi here and I'd presume/hope for the MCG in Melbourne. Now to look up flights and accomodation in Melbourne.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Fluff up the cushions on your couch, and I'll fluff up mine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:D Well my spare room's goin!

Looked at flights there, $500 return.

Hmmm, not bad. Might see if I can rope a few of the lads in a see about making a weekend of it!

Yeah the games are both on Friday evenings so best thing to do would probably be to fly out early Thursday, come back late Sunday. If I can afford it I'll definitely do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Would it be on in Telstra Dome in Melbourne? Last series was in subiaco and Telstra dome anyway. It was good craic at them in fairness, even if we did get whalloped in all sense of the word in both games. I had an Aussie jersey on (courtesy of the missus) and she had an Irish jersey on (courtesy of me!) for the game in Perth. Loads of Irish lads coming up to me after then saying 'fair play, better team won', and I was like, ah yeah, thanks! I had a WA state representative Gaelic game against the Irish Army too at leederville oval which was a bit of craic as well. I went accross to Melbourne then for the other game and stayed for a while as it was Melbourne cup week and went out to Flemington for a few days races. Was a great couple of weeks sporting entertainment (ie, big sessions to be had)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

hanton12 wrote: »
    Would it be on in Telstra Dome in Melbourne?

I'd say it'll be the 'G' - from memory it was at the Dome last time due to the re-development

It'll probably co-incide with Spring Carnival again though

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yeah, rumour has it it's going to be in the G this time. It should be a fun weekend in Melbourne anyway with the game on the 31st and then the Melbourne Cup on the following Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Any Irish flying over?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

excellent im in melboure on the 31st ....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The Irish team haven't had a chance....once again barbaric tactics will win out over guile.

Ireland should sent the 15 most brutal and viscous players in the country, so they can give back some **** to those dingo loving, kowala humping team of neandrathals.

• Advertisement

The Irish team haven't had a chance....once again barbaric tactics will win out over guile.

Ireland should sent the 15 most brutal and viscous players in the country, so they can give back some **** to those dingo loving, kowala humping team of neandrathals.

:rolleyes:

The '15 most vicious players in the country' would still get absolutely murdered by the Aussies if it came down to it.

As for skill, you do realise that the game is played with an Irish ball which requires a completely different kicking style to an AFL ball? The Aussies are talented enough to be able to adjust to the new ball and still play the Irish off the park.

EDIT: I don't want to be giving infractions but if you refer to Aussies (i.e. me) as koala humpers again I will issue one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yes, I do realise it Xavi. Its no big deal though, a couple of weeks training and its grand.

As for 'playing the Irish off the park'....I'm not so sure about this...more like injuring them off the park with some less than sportsman like tactics.

Thats the problem with Aussie Rules, as you said: absolutely murdered by the Aussies if it came down to it.

This is what the game is focused on....if this was any other sport the Australian team would be the Anti-Christ of football(international rules). They want to create player like Hayes(don't know his first name) who used to play I think. Sure why not be as 'ard as nails.....crikey....we don't need padding...or care about the health of our players as long as we're tough....

If you told the australian players to tone down their act, they wouldn't have a hope against the movement and just better skill of the Irish team.

Yes, I do realise it Xavi. Its no big deal though, a couple of weeks training and its grand.

As for 'playing the Irish off the park'....I'm not so sure about this...more like injuring them off the park with some less than sportsman like tactics.

Considering they have to adopt a whole new kicking style that they never use they do kick better than the Irish.
    Thats the problem with Aussie Rules, as you said: absolutely murdered by the Aussies if it came down to it.

Yep 'if it came down to it' which it did the last time. The Irish weren't exactly innocent. They started little fights then couldn't finish them. Both sides were at it.
    This is what the game is focused on....if this was any other sport the Australian team would be the Anti-Christ of football(international rules). They want to create player like Hayes(don't know his first name) who used to play I think. Sure why not be as 'ard as nails.....crikey....we don't need padding...or care about the health of our players as long as we're tough....

Barry Hall, who yes is a thug but is also a great footballer. He was brought over for both reasons.

You have to realise that the AFL is a much more physical game than GAA. It's difficult to tone down something you do for a living week in week out, same way the Irish can't step it up and get used to the tackling.
    If you told the australian players to tone down their act, they wouldn't have a hope against the movement and just better skill of the Irish team.

Lol bollox. You think the Aussie lads are all 6'10" and 25 stone or something? I guarantee you that the type of player who will be playing in October will be far fitter and far more mobile than any of the Irish team. I could list at least 40 or 50 players who would fit the bill.

Ever actually watched an AFL game? If you have then you'll know that the movement of the players is just as good, if not better than GAA players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Xavi6 wrote: »

As for skill, you do realise that the game is played with an Irish ball which requires a completely different kicking style to an AFL ball? The Aussies are talented enough to be able to adjust to the new ball and still play the Irish off the park.

The Irish are easily just as skillful if it was the other way around,the ball has to be round,can you imagine the gaa lads playing with a rugby style afl ball,it would go everywhere.

A round ball will only bounce one way,so I dont buy that its hard for them to adjust,if anything its easier as they play with a ball that is harder to control,day in and out.
    The fitness and strength,well they are pro's,our lads are posties and doctors so what do you expect.I say we send the rugger team over to play tbh.

Its just a stupid match,The aussies are like it in every sport,exactly the same in rugby although in the rugby they are easily matched re strength etc.

If the aussies played chess they would be just as aggresive,its funny cause they are really nice people but when it comes to sport its as if a switch flicks in their brain.

Also the record books would argue we are basically drawing on wins and tests won,so they cant be that much more skillful or better.

Am I right in thinking that the Irish players in the afl,are automatic choices for the Irish team?
    How many is there and are they any good?

dc69 wrote: »
    The Irish are easily just as skillful if it was the other way around,the ball has to be round,can you imagine the gaa lads playing with a rugby style afl ball,it would go everywhere.

A round ball will only bounce one way,so I dont buy that its hard for them to adjust,if anything its easier as they play with a ball that is harder to control,day in and out.

It's got nothing to do with the bounce of the ball, it's the kicking style. You kick a footy with the laces and you kick a GAA ball with the inside of the foot. Two completely different styles.

Ideally I'd love to see one test with each ball to see what happens.
    The fitness and strength,well they are pro's,our lads are posties and doctors so what do you expect.I say we send the rugger team over to play tbh.

The rugby lads would get destroyed by the kicking skills of the Aussies tbh.

Its just a stupid match,The aussies are like it in every sport,exactly the same in rugby although in the rugby they are easily matched re strength etc.

Way to generalise. What other sports do they do it in besides the Rules series and both codes of Rugby? I would say they just have serious competitive will to win.
    If the aussies played chess they would be just as aggresive,its funny cause they are really nice people but when it comes to sport its as if a switch flicks in their brain.

Again, you can back it up with examples.
    Also the record books would argue we are basically drawing on wins and tests won,so they cant be that much more skillful or better.

Again I refer you to the ball. It's a completely different style of play for the Aussies and merely compensates for their physical advantage.
    Am I right in thinking that the Irish players in the afl,are automatic choices for the Irish team?
    How many is there and are they any good?

The Irish players are automatic choices and so they should be as they know how to play against the Aussies. Plus they're at peak fitness.

There are currently nine Irish players active in the AFL but a number of those are rookies and wouldn't be considered. The ones that will play are Martin Clark (Collingwood & Down), Tadhg Kennelly (Sydney & Kerry), Setanta O'hAilpin (Carlton & Cork) and Colm Begley (Brisbane & Laois). All really good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Way to generalise. What other sports do they do it in besides the Rules series and both codes of Rugby? I would say they just have serious competitive will to win.

Again, you can back it up with examples.

They are like it in rugby league,union,soccer,international rules,cricket

As far as im concerned,thats a good amount of sports,at least enough to use as an example.If they are like it in the 5 major sports they play,then its perfectably legitimate assesment of their overtly physical and aggresive nature when taking part in sports.I have watched them play all of these sports and they are just incredibly aggresive and ill disciplined imo.

Im not saying they arent nice people,I only find it in their sporting teams.

What is martin clarke like?
    I saw a documentary about him and they were making him out to be a prodigy,saying if he had stayed at gaa,he would have been one of the best and they said he adapted to afl really quickly and they thought he would be unbelievable.?

What is martin clarke like?
    I saw a documentary about him and they were making him out to be a prodigy,saying if he had stayed at gaa,he would have been one of the best and they said he adapted to afl really quickly and they thought he would be unbelievable.?

Clarke made his debut last season and was sensational. Took the league by storm really with some really mature displays.

Went off the boil at the start of this year though and couldn't get a game for the first six weeks or so. He's back in the team now though and playing some excellent football. He's gotten a lot bigger build wise in the last year and knows how to put in a good tackle. He's gonna be great over the next few years definitely.

Was there any word on any rule changes that have been made?

Was chatting to a lad and he reckoned that in terms of discipline, if there was any sendings off, or banning etc that they would carry over into the relevant domestic competition. The problem was there was no repurcussions for anyone being over violent. So this seems like a good idea, but for any Irish lads that got banned, they wonld only be banned for the O'Byrne cup, or equivalent, or maybe a few league games. Not something they'd really care about I'm sure.

But the lad I was chatting to could have been completely wrong, I've no idea where he got that. Anyone heard anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I wish the International Rules Series just died to be honest. I feel that matter how much the rules are changed, there will be fights. killings etc. I know that Aussie rules is more of a contact sport, but the way they act during the tests is out of order IMO.

Anyways, That's my two cents.

The Irish are hardly saints now in fairness.

I've also heard about suspensions being carried over to domestic competitions. It's meant to be more of a deterant to the Aussies. I'd say it'll come in.

• Advertisement

I think it's definately worth another shot. If they can stop the fights / violence, it will be very good. It was great in the first couple of series before it got filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The Irish are hardly saints now in fairness.

I've also heard about suspensions being carried over to domestic competitions. It's meant to be more of a deterant to the Aussies. I'd say it'll come in.

I do feel they provoke the majority the fights at the tests though, I'd reckon it's in their nature to be rough...we all remember that epic clothesline that Graham Geraghty got a couple years ago.

I hope that suspension idea comes to use. I'd love to see a violence-free game :)

EDIT: I just saw a test match back in 1984 in Dublin on youtube. Looks class.

creggy wrote: »
    we all remember that epic clothesline that Graham Geraghty got a couple years ago.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella!
    But yeah I generally agree with you.

Yeah and I remember the horrible Brad Johnson smash as well but the Irish to be fair have started their fair share of rows. In Croker the last time the Irish game plan was to go out and try hit the Aussies hard. They failed miserably and ended up getting a hiding. If the Irish try the same tactics from the off again this time it'll all blow up again.

Can't wait to go to it though!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=81869
    Malthouse gets international nod

30th June 2008, 12:30 WST

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse has been appointed Australian coach in this year’s international rules series against Ireland.

Australia will play two matches against Ireland, at Subiaco Oval on either October 24 or 25, and at the MCG on October 31.

Malthouse said he was humbled and indebted to the league by the appointment, and promised that he would reinforce to his players the need for sportsmanship and clean, fair matches.

The hybrid concept was suspended last year following the on-field violence which marred the 2005 and 2006 series.

The AFL has also moved to further prevent on-field violence by warning that any suspensions incurred in the international rules series would be served in the following home and away season.

Malthouse was keen for his side to play the series in the right spirit.

“We will play to the rules, we want a pleasant taste to this game,” he said.

“I am a great believer in sportsmanship, particularly when young men get the opportunity to represent their country.”

Australia will tour Ireland next year to play two matches, but the AFL and the Gaelic Athletic Association hope to stage the series every two years after 2009.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=81893
    Subiaco to host international game

30th June 2008, 13:45 WST

Perth is to host an international rules Test match during the 2008 series against Ireland following a decision by the AFL and Gaelic Athletic Association to resurrect the hybrid concept.

The series was suspended in 2007 after a spate of violent outbursts in previous years ruined the football spectacle and threatened to bring an end to the concept.

But the two countries have decided to reintroduce the series this year, with the AFL moving to prevent similar violence from reoccurring by enforcing harsher penalties upon offending players.

Subiaco Oval will provide the stage for the first Test on either October 24 or 25 this year.

Perth’s home of football has hosted Test matches twice in recent years, the first Tests of both the 2003 and 2005 series.

The two games attracted an average attendance in excess of 40,000.

Australia was victorious in both encounters and won the 2005 clash by a record margin 2.27.7 (100) to 3.11.13 (64).

Australia won the last series, which was held in Ireland, on aggregate after each side won one game.

Things are moving along nicely now. Just gotta get me some ticket info!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Aussie Rules is rubbish and International Rules is rubbish because it takes the worst parts of Aussie Rules and adds them to proper football.

The worst parts being Australians.

Anarking wrote: »
    Aussie Rules is rubbish and International Rules is rubbish because it takes the worst parts of Aussie Rules and adds them to proper football.

Care to elaborate on that sweeping statement before I hit the infraction button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Ok,

The Australians(At least the ones who played in the last Test) made themselves look every bit like the stereotype of the moronic neanderthal thugs that people have claimed they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

^^^^^^

Rhymes with bowl :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ok,

The Australians(At least the ones who played in the last Test) made themselves look every bit like the stereotype of the moronic neanderthal thugs that people have claimed they were.
    And the of course the poor little defenceless leprechauns did nothing to provoke them?

Advertisement