Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ming Garden on Trinity Street has always been my go to place when it comes to a sit-down meal. Food is awesome.

Though that said....there's been a shift in personnel over the last month, and while I've not had a chance to check the restaurant, the takeway has gotten a little...bland. We get one most weekends, and there's been a slight drop off since the new chef came in. Not sure if it has impacted their restaurant though; the food when you go in for a sit down meal is usually of a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ming Garden on Trinity Street has always been my go to place when it comes to a sit-down meal. Food is awesome.

Though that said....there's been a shift in personnel over the last month, and while I've not had a chance to check the restaurant, the takeway has gotten a little...bland. We get one most weekends, and there's been a slight drop off since the new chef came in. Not sure if it has impacted their restaurant though; the food when you go in for a sit down meal is usually of a higher standard.
    Are they still doing the slimming world menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are they still doing the slimming world menu?

Yep, it's still on the menu, got a take away from there last night and it's still listed. They do the nicest special fried rice in Drogheda IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Pipmae wrote: »

Went here on Saturday for lunch, wasn't overly impressed really!
    The 'burger' was nice but the texture was terrible- everything was grated on the plate and it was very unusual. Others at the table ordered the steak salad and a sandwich- the salad looked nice but was predominantly leaves, and the sandwich was actually an 'open' sandwich, so was only 1 slice of bread with a side of grated carrot.

They have a daily curry and soup, but the specials are not displayed and were not read to us when we were seated. Hopefully these are just teething problems as it would be fantastic to see a healthy cafe do well, but right now, I think I'll be going to Simona for my Saturday lunch!

I went there last Monday for a coffee .......and it was closed!
    Very disappointed !

Do coffee shops close on Mondays normally? I thought until you get established it would be better to be open as much as possible??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Does anyone know if the Pizzeria in Clogherhead is open tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I am finally succumbing to years of pressure from my wife to take her to a local Chinese restaurant - I prefer Indian food myself and to be fair to her, she's been to any number of Indian restaurants in the last number of years, yet never a Chinese. So it's payback time!

I'd be really grateful for recommendations - I like Chinese food but it preferably has to be from a decent restaurant - something approaching Wongs in Clontarf, or Silks in Malahide, if at all possible. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!

Probably too late now but Tango Restaurant is top class. Lovely surroundings and great food.

Firstly, let me admit I am a long term fan of Eastern Seaboard, and have posted a couple of times about them and their food, but on Saturday evening they surpassed themselves with the special - 8oz Dry Aged "Export Grade" Filet steak with tarragon bearnaise, scallion rosti and creamed spinach.

It really was the most delicious steak I can remember having, wonderful beef, beautifully cooked and accompanied by a fabulous sauce and lovely vegetables. There were only ten of the steaks, but if I ever get the chance again to try such a nice steak (it came from John Stone in County Longford) I certainly will.

I thoroughly recommend ESBG

And as for the World Health Organisation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Tried the Pizzeria near St Marys church. It's nicely done inside, cozy, warm and fairly dark. :D

Main dishes were good - pizza and tagliatelle were both very good, starter was okay but desserts were just totally rubbish.

Over all, we would recommend trying it if you have a craving for Italian food and the traditional feel, but hold back on your expectations...!

Tried Annies in Drogheda (on Meat Market Lane, where Bizou use to be).

Was very happy with the lunch I got. They've the place done up very nicely, tables organised well so they aren't crampped or you've got people leaning in on you. Got a "Hot" chicken wrap which was great for the price I paid (though the heat was missing). It was €6 ish for the wrap, which also came with a nice serving of take-away style chips. Really nice, will be back again.

The Chinese Pizzeria looks nearly ready to open in Grange Rath at Southgate. Weird mix but looking forward to having it close to home :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tried Annies in Drogheda (on Meat Market Lane, where Bizou use to be).

Was very happy with the lunch I got. They've the place done up very nicely, tables organised well so they aren't crampped or you've got people leaning in on you. Got a "Hot" chicken wrap which was great for the price I paid (though the heat was missing). It was €6 ish for the wrap, which also came with a nice serving of take-away style chips. Really nice, will be back again.

The Chinese Pizzeria looks nearly ready to open in Grange Rath at Southgate. Weird mix but looking forward to having it close to home :P

true, a kind of weird combination, Chinese and Pizza.
    I think the owners are Asian (the ones I saw working in it), so chinese might be better than the pizza.
    But like you say very convenient for us living in the area, I can grab my dinner on my way home!!

Bamboo Gate, the Chinese/Pizza place, is now open in Southgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Irish Aris wrote: »
    true, a kind of weird combination, Chinese and Pizza.
    I think the owners are Asian (the ones I saw working in it), so chinese might be better than the pizza.
    But like you say very convenient for us living in the area, I can grab my dinner on my way home!!

Same people that were behind Wok's Cooking before it was sold to ita current owners..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

everlast75 wrote: »
    Same people that were behind Wok's Cooking before it was sold to ita current owners..

Should be delicious so

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

everlast75 wrote: »

Are you 100% sure about that?

Mylow wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure about that?

I know Wok's cooking is under new ownership.. plus the lady who owned WC is now serving people and running the show up in Bamboo.. so I put 2 and 2 together..

I could be wrong but...

Yeah, having tasted the food, the similarities are striking.

We got a meal there last night. Chicken Curry was near identical to the ones I used to get in Wok's, before we moved over to the Ming Garden. I never like when a curry is full of veg (onions, peas and mushrooms!) but the sauce was lovely, and the chicken was nice. Everything was exactly how I'd remember the food from Wok's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I picked up a menu last night, will try a take-away on Saturday.
    The menu looks pretty identical to the woks cooking menu alright.
    Woks really went downhill when Karen left but it has improved lately.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

As soon as I saw the menu and them being primarily a Chinese takeaway but offering pizza I decided I wouldn't even bother. Your either a Chinese or a Pizzeria!!! You can't do both well as

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Got a take away in bamboo during the week.
    Large portions, very tasty and very reasonable price wise. Had chicken with green pepper in black Bean and fried rice. Definitely going to eat here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Disapointed with the ESB on Saturday night.
    i had`nt been there in over a year but was disapointed in the main course - the special-which was a cod . it was quite nice ,however it was served in a bowl
    with tiny mussels and on a bed of what can only be described as the bottom end of a cabbage,uncutable and only one side offered.
    The chicken wings however were up to their usual excellent taste.

Also a big minus was the lack of Conventional Beer on tap.
    Craft beer not for everyone, yes as an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Tried Bamboo last night. 5 of us where recovering from the night before in a friends house in Grange Rath. We assumed we'd have to drive over and collect it given the usual weekend waiting times for a delivery from any Drogheda takeout.I was pretty shocked when they said that they could deliver it in 15/20 minutes, given we'd asked for 5 mains and a starter.

BOOM, 12/13 minutes later the doorbell rings. I don't want to overthink it but that's ridiculously fast to cook and deliver any form of food. Tasted good though and did the job.

Similar experience in ESB last week, main on the table within 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Lovely lunch today at Wm. Cairnes at Scotch Hall. Great interior, nice staff and very good food. We couldn't believe how my 2.5 year old attacked the corn on the cob - it's as if we starved them over Christmas - I think she liked it when she saw me pouring melted butter over it and because it was the right size for her to hold by herself and tuck into (rather than the larger ones we do at home).

Will definitely be going back again.

PS: I am actually rather impressed by the quality of places to eat out in this little town. It's missing a few key options like a great Thai or a Japanese, but for a small place, Drogheda is pretty decent. Thanks to all the enterprising restaurateurs out there.

Best pizza in Drogheda (taste and value for money)

1) Casablanca (opportunity Scotch Hall)
    2) La Pizzaria (at the Bull Ring)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Was in for Sunday Lunch yesterday (which was excellent as usual) and staff let us know it was their last day and its closing down. very sorry to hear it as it had a great bunch of staff, very friendly and professional. Hope it re-opens and that the current staff are taken on

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

Hanlor wrote: »
    Was in for Sunday Lunch yesterday (which was excellent as usual) and staff let us know it was their last day and its closing down. very sorry to hear it as it had a great bunch of staff, very friendly and professional. Hope it re-opens and that the current staff are taken on

Where is closing???

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

LOU76 wrote: »
    Where is closing???

Fisherman's mell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

bewhiched wrote: »
    Fisherman's mell

The whole thing or just the food bit

Vego wrote: »
    The whole thing or just the food bit

Whole lot

• Advertisement

Hi has anyone tried TAAJ indian on stock well st and has anyone got the no can't find it anywhere thanks

Advertisement