Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Most of the 'favourite' dishes remain, so it may still be on there.

I know you can get Rogan Josh in any Indian but Sarajit's recipe in Fuchsia was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

connected1 wrote: »
    Have any of you tried Casanova's down on the quay opposite Scotch Hall? I bought a voucher on Dealrush and am going to eat there one way or t'other but it's always good to hear an opinion before you go

Got an email from Dealrush this morning refunding me my money as "Unfortunately the restaurant can\'t honour the vouchers any more"

Strange.......wonder what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Oh that's not good! Well if I were you I'd spend that money on an Antica Toscana voucher. Great value and I really love their food..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Oh that's not good! Well if I were you I'd spend that money on an Antica Toscana voucher. Great value and I really love their food..

Thanks, but I see Antica's voucher is for a 3 course meal, no vino. Sometimes I don't want all that food, just a main course and a drink. Restaurant's take note!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

zac8 wrote: »
    I know you can get Rogan Josh in any Indian but Sarajit's recipe in Fuchsia was sublime.

I'm 90% sure it's the same chefs (minus Sarajit obviously) so there's a good chance it'll be the same recipe that they're working to. Haven't heard any reports from it yet.

Personally I wish there was enough demand for the Indian food to allow them to drop the European dishes altogether. There's such a gulf in quality between the two, but most people who go in are ordering European.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knoby

Is D'Vine still opened behind the town centre? Was in Donegans today for lunch quare value in the bar for a lunch great feed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Knoby wrote: »
    Is D'Vine still opened behind the town centre?
    Yes although it's a while since I was in it. I see they won the Leinster Regional Award for 'Best Wine Experience' at the Irish Restaurant Awards.

http://www.irishrestaurantawards.com/winners-announced-at-leinster-regional-awards/

I'm 90% sure it's the same chefs (minus Sarajit obviously) so there's a good chance it'll be the same recipe that they're working to. Haven't heard any reports from it yet.

Personally I wish there was enough demand for the Indian food to allow them to drop the European dishes altogether. There's such a gulf in quality between the two, but most people who go in are ordering European.

Oh ok, thanks. Might try it this weekend.

Pipmae wrote: »
    Yes although it's a while since I was in it. I see they won the Leinster Regional Award for 'Best Wine Experience' at the Irish Restaurant Awards.

http://www.irishrestaurantawards.com/winners-announced-at-leinster-regional-awards/

We ate here on Valentine's and it was just as good as ever. Wine is pretty reasonably priced for the quality too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Tried the Lime Kiln twice recently.
    First visit was good, the second one not so good.

We called in for lunch a couple of week ago as we were curious to try it out.
    I had a portion of mussels with a side order of chips, mrs ox had the flatbread with mint, lamb, and coriander.
    The young fella had a portion of crispy chicken wings with chips.
    We all enjoyed what we got, the mrs really liked the flatbread, the mussels were nice and the chicken wings went down a treat.
    I also had a nice Belgian lager on tap which I can't remember the name of.
    It was all nice although the side portions of chips were quite small for 3.95 each.

We decided to go back again for tea last week, we had a table booked for 6.00 and when we got there the place was very busy.
    I ordered the beer battered fish with minted peas and chips, the mrs ordered a pizza with spinach, goats cheese and chilli while junior ordered pasta with tomato sauce.

The portion of fish I got measured about 3 inches square sitting on a tablespoon of peas with a small portion of fries.
    It was fine but very poor value for 14.95.
    The pizza was very dry, (no tomato or cheese on the base)
    All you got was spinach and goats cheese on a dry flatbread base, and the goats cheese was really salty and overpowering.
    Not nice at all.
    Junior said the pasta wasn't nice, the mrs tasted it and said it was very bland. We added parmesan and seasoning to give it a bit of flavour, it improved it but it was still left half eaten.
    It was busy and there were plenty of staff, they kept on top of things....just.
    There didn't seem to be anyone in charge who was organising or overseeing things.
    It's great to see the place open again and I hope they do well but I'm afraid I'll be sticking with Simona's or D'Vine for now.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

furiousox wrote: »
    .. sitting on a tablespoon of peas ...

Lol, I hate that sort of hamster portions myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Thanks for the review furiousox. I have it booked for a Communion lunch for a month's time. I originally had the Eastern Seaboard booked but as we're a bit jaded with it we thought we'd try the Lime Kiln for a change. At the moment I still have both places booked and I'm going to cancel the one we don't want about 10 days beforehand.

We still haven't made up our mind - group of 15 (7 are kids). My head is wrecked to be honest.:mad:

I was in the Lime Kiln last week, first time and both myself and my friend found the portions very small. We are both women but if you were a hungry man I think you might leave hungry! I had a kind of goats cheese salad, goats cheese was fried and salad was nice but very plain. Not really worth the money.

My friend had a burger and chips. Nice and tasty but very small portion.

Overall not great value for what you get which is a pity. I wouldnt be rushing back.

Pipmae wrote: »
    Thanks for the review furiousox. I have it booked for a Communion lunch for a month's time. I originally had the Eastern Seaboard booked but as we're a bit jaded with it we thought we'd try the Lime Kiln for a change. At the moment I still have both places booked and I'm going to cancel the one we don't want about 10 days beforehand.

We still haven't made up our mind - group of 15 (7 are kids). My head is wrecked to be honest.:mad:

Here's a link to the Lime Kiln menu if it helps

http://www.thelimekiln.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-Lime-Kiln-Main-Menu-April2015.pdf

EDIT: We had 2 very good communion meals in the Black Bull, worth considering.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I have been frequenting Aisha's Bistro for approximately the last year or so, and I have to say the food has been consistently top class. Everything is so tasty and fresh, from the starters to the home made desserts (and everything else Adel gives you to try in between!). At this stage I have probably tried everything on the menu and there is nothing I wouldn't recommend or that I haven't enjoyed. All the staff are 100% and the chefs are highly talented in both their cooking and presentation...it won't be long until we are back again! For me it is the best place in town by far...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

The Himalayan Tandoori on the Bull Ring - only recently tried this gaff (2 takeaways) but the food is really really good I think.

Heading to Tamarind tomorrow night, eager to see what it's like as I'm not very good with spice, and I hear you can choose intensity for every dish!

furiousox wrote: »
    Got a take away from Tamarind last night.
    It's a pity, I was looking forward to eating there but we'll definitely be sticking with the PH for our Indian take-outs.

When I read this review from furiousOx couple of weeks back, I kinda dismissed it as Ox being biased towards Punjabi House. I am not a huge fan of Punjabi House, they are o-kay in my head, but far from great. But now that I have tried Tamarind... I shouldn't have doubted Ox.. I really shouldn't have... :o

Take away from Tamarind actually left me rather upset the other night. First they overcharged us (rice & naan should have been free with the mains as per the ad in Drogheda Leader, but we were charged), but that's nothing compared to the disappointment felt when we saw what we got. Basic small portions, no complimentary nothing. Not even a run of the mill spicy paste like curry that costs next to nothing to make. No dips. No free poppodums. Nothing. Not even their own takeaway menu!! It's like they don't know how to do this business!!

When it came to food, the naan was average, rice was just okay. Currys were terrible. Creamy but not enough in substance in them, so over all it felt weak and watery. They also tasted kinda plasticky and tomato-y, hard to explain, perhaps they used cheap wholesale tomato puree from a crappy plastic container or something, I don't know, the taste was really there. Both dishes we tried lacked flavours, spices, taste... well, you get the picture.

Mrs P and I are average eaters - we are often happy to share a single starter and main from Wok's cooking between us. Yet, I was left very hungry after Tamarinds full portion of rice and curry. I am embarrassed to say that I sneaked in half a bowl of cereal after that takeaway. :o

I am so sooo disappointed with Tamarind. With a nice name like that I really REALLY wanted them to be good, and to be fair, based on just ONE takeway of two mains, they thoroughly failed to meet that expectation. I sincerely hope these are starting hiccups and they morph themselves into exceptional Indian food outlet.. We might give them another chance in.. two months... :(

positron wrote: »
    Yet, I was left very hungry after Tamarinds full portion of rice and curry. I am embarrassed to say that I sneaked in half a bowl of cereal after that takeaway. :o

Want to add this might be just me.. I am used to heavy, red, par-boiled rice that is full of natural flavours that fills you up.. Par-boiled rice vs fluffy basmati is like comparing neat whisky vs light beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

zac8 wrote: »
    Oh ok, thanks. Might try it this weekend.

Just wondering, did you try the new menu?

• Advertisement

Just wondering, did you try the new menu?

Yes I tried the rogan josh from the takeaway a couple of weeks ago. Its definitely based on the previous recipe but both myself and my wife thought it wasn't quite as good. Still nice though and I would go again. Didn't you say the other takeaway in the town is better? I haven't tried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

Myself, the wife and two friends of ours went to try The Lime Kiln a couple of weeks ago. First impression were that it was a lovely place with nice decor with a nice busy atmosphere.

I ordered the chicken fillet burger which was tasty, but I have to say the most miserable portion of chicken I have ever seen. I knew right away when I picked the burger up, there was no weight to it! It wasn't even a full fillet...

The remainder of the group ordered the steak and ribs combo- steak, ribs, chips and onion rings. Again, very miserable portion for the money with a few onion rings and only 3 ribs. I think the combo was €9 more than the steak on its own which is very poor value for money for the quantity.

On the plus side the chips were very good and the service was good also. I just don't understand why the portions are so small given the high mark up restaurant food has. The area did need a place like The Lime Kiln, but I think if they keep servicing small portions like that they won't be busy for too long.

Went to The Lime Kiln myself on Friday night and was almost going to eat before I went because of the reviews. Well, thankfully I didn't experience the small portions that everyone has been saying. I got the deep fried brie with chilli jam and then the pork belly for main. It was pretty tasty and I couldn't eat all the pork- I was stuffed! Only thing was the potato and leek gratin I got as a side for my main was a bit bland, but this was also such a big portion I only ate half. Polished it off with a chocolate mousse, which was small, but rich. Overall it was a good meal. I will go back, but no major rush...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, can I ask a question?

I've never really tried Indian takeaway in Drogheda and wanted to take a crack at it tonight. Which leads me to ask...whats the best place that people would recommend? Delivery is highly preferable as well. :)

(also any suggestions on what to get for an Indian novice would be appreciated; usually, its a Chinese from the Ming Garden so don't have a clue what half the foods on the menu are :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, can I ask a question?

I've never really tried Indian takeaway in Drogheda and wanted to take a crack at it tonight. Which leads me to ask...whats the best place that people would recommend? Delivery is highly preferable as well. :)

(also any suggestions on what to get for an Indian novice would be appreciated; usually, its a Chinese from the Ming Garden so don't have a clue what half the foods on the menu are :P)

I would thoroughly recommend Punjabi House on the Dublin Road.
    Not sure what to advise on what to get - what kind of flavours do you like?
    Spicy, creamy, fruity etc...

I suppose spicy, though as I said, don't have much experience so wouldn't know if I like or dislike the other options :P

Do Punjabi House deliver? They certainly see to look the nicest based on other people talking on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I suppose spicy, though as I said, don't have much experience so wouldn't know if I like or dislike the other options :P

Do Punjabi House deliver? They certainly see to look the nicest based on other people talking on here :)

Yes they deliver.
    I suppose just read the menu - I'm not being smart haha, but there should be a good description of each curry - there are so many different flavours that it's hard to recommend one!

Bhuna or Rogan Josh are very nice.

For side dishes I love Sag Aloo which is potatoes cooked with spinach, a couple of Onion Bhaji's and also a garlic naan, mmmmmmm

I'm dying for an Indian dinner now, what time will I call round? :P

Went with the set menu for 2, with three of us sharing....and we still had waaaay to much. Was amazing.

Tikka Masala was nice, lamb was spicy and really enjoyed the sides. Very happy. Thanks for the recommendation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Had the early bird menu in Garam Masala, Stockwell St, last week - starter, main and tea/coffee for €14.95.

Small selection of starters (meat/veg samosa, veg pakora, onion bhaji, chicken shashlik kebab), and mains (Tikka Masala, Korma, Jalfrezi and one other option which I can't remember, with either chicken or lamb).

I had the veg samosa and chicken korma with pilau rice, mate had shashlik kebab and lamb korma with boiled rice.

All delicious and very generous portions!

Early bird is served from 5-7.30pm, 7 days a week.
    Great value and very decent grub - a fine feed before rolling round to the cinema :)

• Advertisement

New pub/restaurant under construction in Southgate SC.
    Due to open on Saturday.

CPL 593H

Advertisement